Getting a PS3....Some questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

I can't take it anymore...I need to play The Last of Us, Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls and a few others that have looked amazing. Been a 360/PC gamer for the last 10yrs or so, been awhile since I've touched anything Playstation related. Sooo I do have a few questions about my purchase.

First of all, how reasonable is the PSN store and price drops? I'd love to go all digital but if games are $20+ cheaper retail obviously that's going to be my choice. On a related note....Will there be ANY backwards compatibility with the PS4? Obviously full games won't be but what about arcade games? (or whatever they're called on PS3 lol).

Is there any kind of calender of PS+ free games? I would hate to buy games and find out I could have gotten it free right away or within a month or two. Is there a PSN store website with up to date pricing info/free games to look at?

Lastly...I'm getting the Uncharted 3/PS+ 1yr bundle. Should I go ahead and get the first two Uncharted games or should I try it first?

All I can think of for now...thanks

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@SuperBeast said:

I can't take it anymore...I need to play The Last of Us, Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls and a few others that have looked amazing. Been a 360/PC gamer for the last 10yrs or so, been awhile since I've touched anything Playstation related. Sooo I do have a few questions about my purchase.

First of all, how reasonable is the PSN store and price drops? I'd love to go all digital but if games are $20+ cheaper retail obviously that's going to be my choice. On a related note....Will there be ANY backwards compatibility with the PS4? Obviously full games won't be but what about arcade games? (or whatever they're called on PS3 lol).

Is there any kind of calender of PS+ free games? I would hate to buy games and find out I could have gotten it free right away or within a month or two. Is there a PSN store website with up to date pricing info/free games to look at?

Lastly...I'm getting the Uncharted 3/PS+ 1yr bundle. Should I go ahead and get the first two Uncharted games or should I try it first?

The normal price rates on psn are pretty expensive actually for full fledged games. Your'e better off buying used from gamestop. The arcade games are reasonably priced. But they do have weekly price drops of some games and add ons ect. The psn store has a ps+ section where you can look at all the games they offer and price reductions. I'm not sure about the calendar thing tho.

I personally think the uncharted games are way overated. All in all, those games have extreme hand holding, and is pratically a tps cover shooter with basic hand combat and basic platforming. Just my opinion tho. I would suggest getting the god of war saga and Ni No Kuni (if you are a jrpg fan)

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Uncharted 3 bundle with PS3 320GB and 1 month of PS Plus is great. I bought that bundle since at the time. Sony threw in Call of duty Modern Warfare 3 as an extra game. Plus the regular slim is better than the Superslim PS3. This bundle was $299.99

Which is another bundle featuring The PS3 superslim 250GB Uncharted 3 Game of the year edition and Dust 514 the Downloadable PSN game with $30.00 of extra in game "throw ins" This bundle was $269.99

I bought this bundle in January 2013. Brand new but the PS3 Superslim died on me. 21 days after I bought it. The power supply died. But GameStop replaced the console without any hassle. This was the only time a brand new console died on me.

Now is a great time to get a PS3 and catch up on the games you have missed. The Playstation 4 is not backwards compatible with PS3 games so you can still buy a PS3 and it will be supported for 3 more years. The PS4 will eventually use Gaikai to have PS3 games for use on PS4. But you are going to have to rebuy them again. Plus it will take time for PS3 classics to be released on Gaikai. So get you PS3 and PS4 and enjoy them side by side.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SuperBeast said:

PSN is pretty reasonable, i think it has better sales than Xbox to be honest. There will be no backward compability to the PS3 in the PS4. However there will be GaiKai and it might be able to play all PS3 games next year.

PS+ games are usually announced a month ahead of time if you look on the playstation site. And they are pretty good.

I only played the first so far, but i would recomend it.

I was in the same spot as you a year ago, so just ask me whatever you want ;). Because i have almost totally switched to the ps3 now, because i just like it a whole lot more