This topic is locked from further discussion.

fadimina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 fadimina
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

Hey guys, i have a question about the new firmware 2.60 for the PS3. My friend told me not to update it to this version because it causes the PS3 to stop functioning properly AKA won't read discs, restart, YLOD etc...

So is this true ? i hope you guys can help me out because im DYING for some online play :(

eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts
no its not tru... its safe to upgrade
bellolugosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bellolugosi
Member since 2005 • 448 Posts
No it ain't true...
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts
Your friend is full of crap- it's perfectly safe to update.
sssb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sssb
Member since 2003 • 522 Posts
if it true sony i'll realese new update 2 fix what happen in ver 2.60, don't worry it's very safe i'm playing street fighter 4 every day nothing happen (thanks god)
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
No, 2.60 is fine. Your friend speaks from his rectum.
zowbaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 zowbaid
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts
I think something's wrong with his PS3...updating it must've been to much of an overload for it :P...You're fine.
donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts
no don't up date.... keep your ps3 like it is so you cant play the latest games and firmware for your bluray player..:roll:
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

No, 2.60 is fine. Your friend speaks from his rectum.Floppy_Jim

That was a harsh, but true statement.

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts
Why would Sony release an update to brick your PS3?
fadimina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fadimina

Okay thanks guys :D i really like this gamespot forum thingy, it offers a great help :) i will update it as soon as i get the chance.

Question : is it safe to upgrade it via usb flash or something ? i mean if you download from pc and then port it to the ps3, will it make any difference ? or is it better to do it via internet ?

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
Not True..I downloaded it the first day I bought minds.
tidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tidan
Member since 2003 • 369 Posts
It doesnt matter how you update it, through your ps3 or your pc one just saves you the step of having to put it onto a flash drive. i would stick with the direct update from the ps3 thats how ive done all of mine.
burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts
[QUOTE="fadimina"]

Okay thanks guys :D i really like this gamespot forum thingy, it offers a great help :) i will update it as soon as i get the chance.

Question : is it safe to upgrade it via usb flash or something ? i mean if you download from pc and then port it to the ps3, will it make any difference ? or is it better to do it via internet ?

We are sceptical aren't we? just download it directly via internet.
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts
Did you just get your PS3? Surely you haven't been sitting around for weeks now trying to decide whether to update or not...
fadimina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fadimina

I had my Ps3 like 10 months ago, i wanted to update it to 2.60 but when i heard that it causes some error i thought otherwise!! that's why im asking here if there's any problem with it T_T

rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts

I had my Ps3 like 10 months ago, i wanted to update it to 2.60 but when i heard that it causes some error i thought otherwise!! that's why im asking here if there's any problem with it T_T

fadimina

Oh really? Just as a word of advice, you really don't have anything to worry about. Just update. Rarely ever does it actually mess up a PS3.

Clipperstown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Clipperstown
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts
so far, no ps3 update has done anything bad to my system. but, i will have to admit, i was updating my psp once, and when the update was done, wouldnt you know it, my wifi chip burned out. i called sony and they told me it was cause the update, and they would have to charge me 90 bucks to have it fixed. so i just sold it to gamestop. so, rarely does the update harm something, but i have had a case where it does.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
No, its safe.. i think you should stop being friends with who ever said it was unsafe.
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

fadimina

If you're really worried about updates error then try to download it from PC 2 times. Check both of them with MD5 or SHA1. If both returned same value, it's safe to go.

fadimina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fadimina

What's SHA1 and MD5 ?!

orangejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 orangejedi
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Actually, this update could be dangerous depending on what PS3 you have. If it's new, you're probably fine. However, if you have an older one like me (original 80gig), there's a chance that it can mess up (corrupt) the PS3's Blu-ray drivers, causing random freezing and failure to even read BDs. How do I know? It happened to me and a lot of other people here: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3updates&thread.id=46696&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 In fact, some people even report to it having made their PS3s unbootable.
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

i think there is a chance it cud brick it but more of a .01% chance, cause my friends ps3 bricked when 2.6 came out, but im sure you are fine

millgiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 millgiass
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts

My 60GB PS3 stopped reading PS3 games properly shortly after updating to 2.60. Reads everything else fine though. I've done resets, full refreshes, full formats, used every option in the system recovery, Sprayed it out with duster (although it wasn't really dusty to begin with), And even swapped out the HDD. I was going to open it up and check if the blue ray lens was being obstructed by any means. But when I peeled the warranty sticker half way off I realised they used a fairly small size of star bit screw-driver, which I don't possess. This stuff happens apperantly, your firmware CAN potentially corrupt, which is either the fault of your internet, or the Playstation Network. My suggestion is download the updates to a USB flash drive, this should reduce the chance of failure.

I know this error can happen fairly commonly, because I ordered a PS3 off of Ebay and it had this issue right when I got it. Played PS2/1 games but freezes up while playing PS3 games, or wont load them at all. I believe it's called error 80010514. I returned it to the seller in exhange for another 60GB model, it's been working without fail for several months but shortly after 2.60 it stopped reading PS3 games correctly. Exact same issue.

What I'm doing now, is waiting for firmware update 2.70, in hopes that when I download it and it overwrites 2.60 that it'll restore functionality and save me the hassle of sending my PS3 into Sony, paying them 150$, and potentially getting back a system that isn't the 60GB model.

But if it must be done, it must be done.

I see this as a technical issue that Sony is at fault at. Because they dont allow you to revert your firmware back to an earlier firmware and try to redownload. Nor will they man up and replace the units for free out of warranty, (Most of the time when issues happen it's RIGHT outside of the warranty. LoL uncool.)

But then again, it took a cla$$-action lawsiut to force Microsoft to deal with the Xbox 360's red ring of death. So I doubt anything short of that would make Sony fix their faulty product for free. Likely all they are going to do is re-flash the firmware. Which may or may not be a complicated process, I have no idea. All I know is my PS3 hasn't been able to play PS3 games (other than downloaded ones) for over a month now.

It's very discouraging,

Here's the break down. Because of the nature of the firmware and how it's NONREVERSABLE it is potential that you will kill your system on ANY firmware update. However not all that likely. In the rare cases that it happens though, it really sucks. But you'll PROBABLY be fine.

theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
I know how you feel man I used too be scared too but its best too get it over with what happens happens. I personally update using my PS3 as a flash drive, ,ainly because of an unstable internet connection. But like every one else said its fine.
Harry_Balzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Harry_Balzac
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

The only prob I have is Socom keeps freezing up my machine.

M-Yu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#27 M-Yu
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

i got my PS3 in November 07 is it still safe to update

I don't wanna get the YLOD

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

i got my PS3 in November 07 is it still safe to update

I don't wanna get the YLOD

M-Yu

SOny is not stupid.... update nothing will happen except more awesomeness.... or half your music wont work but no YLOD