Final Fantasy newbie

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DRAGONPIECEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DRAGONPIECEZ
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

So I can count on my hand the number of Final Fantasy games I've played, most of them being spinoffs. For the mainline titles, I've played FF III and FF VII. Neither of which have I finished because of my videogame ADD, but from what I've gotten through I did quite enjoy. I've also played and enjoyed Chocobo's Dungeon, Crisis Core, Dissidia, and the KH games (if that holds any merit). Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of turn based RPGs but I do enjoy the more dynamic action oriented ones more. I noticed the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD games are coming out and I was thinking of giving the series another spin, though the sole thing I know about the game is that cringe worthy Tidus scene *shudders*.

So what do you old time FF fans think? Is X a good starting place for me to give this series another whirl? Or should I just come to terms with the fact that the series isn't for me? Thanks.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#2 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

I've only played Final Fantasy XIII, and it was a good game. Yet I did not complete the campaign. I'm also thinking about a fresh new start.

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

X is personally my favorite of the series and favorite game of all time. I have the 80$ Collectors Edition pre-ordered.

It is also one of the best places to start in the series. Also, it appears you have never played it because there is a reason Tidus laughs maniacally....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Final Fantasy X is the best in the series for me. Such a great game

Avatar image for Undue_Influence
Undue_Influence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Undue_Influence
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

FFX was the first FF I played to completion, if you enjoyed the others definitely play this game.

SlyRoxas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SlyRoxas97
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

Final Fantasy X is a great game, hell, it's the only one I've beaten but I loved everything about it.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@DRAGONPIECEZ: When you say III do you mean VI or the actual III? Because the VI III is great.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

FF X was good. I wouldn't call it the best one tho. That honor goes to FF VI (FF III on SNES). That's the best in the series for me.

DRAGONPIECEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DRAGONPIECEZ

@SpiderLuke I mean the III remake on the DS.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Play through 4-6-7-8-9-10 in this order.

They are the best games in the series.The rest range from average to mediocre and even downright terrible.

aei500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aei500
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

FFX had the best and most engrossing story imo! Definitely one to try if you're interested in finishing one of the games

TJ-Yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 TJ-Yoshi
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

FF X is awesome. Blitzball! I like 9 and 7 more, but X is a great game

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Honestly, I think you should stay away from the franchise.

I have a bit of gamer's ADD myself and anything that requires more than 40-50 hours is not going to cut it. This basically describes all the PS1 and beyond FF's.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#14 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Final Fantasy IX was my favourite in the series, FF X is still worth checking out

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes give the final Fantasy series another shot. I have only played half of the 14 main Final Fantasy games. If the spin off games count as part of the Final Fantasy series which would bring the total number of FF games to around 40. And then counting re badge games such as Bravely Default which started life as a final Fantasy spinoff. but was re branded as a new standalone game. Kinda like the "Sleeping dogs" game which was originally a "True Crime" game. So True Crime Hong Kong became sleeping Dogs.

Bravely Default was a Sequel to a spin off Final Fantasy games on the Nintendo DS that was re branded to Bravely Default. But is still a Final Fantasy game at it's core. So if re badge/branded Final Fantasy games count. Then there are 50 ish games.

So yes give this series another go. Since every game is set in a different Final Fantasy Universe. With a few exceptions you can play them in any order you wish. You may like some gameplay designs better than others, Some storylines may appeal to you than others. So try them all. at your own pace and you will find some final Fantasy games you will enjoy.

Even I like a few of the Final Fantasy games. I have videogame OCD so yep. Try again Maybe just stick with the main Final Fantasy series to start out.

DRAGONPIECEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DRAGONPIECEZ

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll give X a shot as well as finish VII (if I complete 7 I'd also try out 8 and 9 since they're available on PSN). I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who suffers from videogame add lol.

Oh and as a side-note, The World Ends with You (made by Square) is probably one of my favorite games of all time, so that right there is a sign that I may be able to get into this franchise

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

FFX is my favorite in the series. I would think it's a good starting point.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@DRAGONPIECEZ said:

@SpiderLuke I mean the III remake on the DS.

Ah, OK. In that case, play the SNES FF III, also truly known as Final Fantasy VI. Try to avoid it for PS1. Load times suck. Stay away from the iOS version, too.

Sagisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Sagisu
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

7 is cool and 8 aswell. In those ff games you can always grind abit by running back and forth on the map and get strong that way. I own 9 aswell and graphicwise in leans towards 7. FF10 is totally awesome and 12 is alright too. You steer away from 11 and 14, those are mmo's and I really dont enjoy MMO's, hey maybe you do! The only FF game I've played through twice is FF8 it was a fun game back then, but fast forward 14 years it might not be the best:-)

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@dipdish said:

I've only played Final Fantasy XIII, and it was a good game. Yet I did not complete the campaign. I'm also thinking about a fresh new start.

You know an rpg sucks when the story is referred to as a campaign.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ristactionjakso

I say ff7 does live up to the hype. It's a great game, even now. But I personally liked 6 the best.

10 isn't bad, but 10-2 is awful.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22  Edited By Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

I say ff7 does live up to the hype. It's a great game, even now. But I personally liked 6 the best.

Man Im playing through FF9 now. I am going to either finish off Xenogears, Vagrant Story, or FFVI next. I heard 6 did have a ill story (ill in a good way lol)

Btw bro, when are we going to play minecraft ? I am currently making a spaceship lol

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@ShepardCommandr:

@ShepardCommandr said:

They are the best games in the series.The rest range from average to mediocre and even downright terrible.

If I may, (in-order seems too orderly for the occasion)

1-7-8-2-3-10-4-5-9-12-13-6

(...in 2014, I'm not suggesting a complete playthrough of each, just a look@ of each at very-least) 9 & 6 might be the best though.

////////

10/X is a solid starting block...some may say it's the last of the series, while some may say it ushers in the new formats. It is, though, ideal to play some non-3D iterations just to understand where the series built itself from. (...the stories don't connect btw, just themes and creatures etc++)

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Young_Charter

@gargungulunk said:

@ShepardCommandr:

@ShepardCommandr said:

If I may, (in-order seems too orderly for the occasion)

1-7-8-2-3-10-4-5-9-12-13-6

(...in 2014, I'm not suggesting a complete playthrough of each, just a look@ of each at very-least) 9 & 6 might be the best though.

////////

10/X is a solid starting block...some may say it's the last of the series, while some may say it ushers in the new formats. It is, though, ideal to play some non-3D iterations just to understand where the series built itself from. (...the stories don't connect btw, just themes and creatures etc++)

9 is so far a good FF. I am replaying it (since I stopped around the end of Disc 3 or beginning of Disc 4) and I am working on This but when it comes to the battles and the side quest it is all a piece of cake. Well, I've been doing a lot of grinding to the point where I've invested about a good 42 hrs so far.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#25 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@Young_Charter: @ShepardCommandr:

That's awesome that you're working on a rpgclassics bit, I can't mention how many times I've gone to that site over the years.

As of mid '13 I started a replay of FF9...taking long breaks for other games, I'm somewhere on disc two. I think what this game has, is a refined sense of what FF7 set up. It has a little more depth as to why one is saving the world. With FF7, they did a solid job of making me /sense/ there was some major back-story I was supposed to know...yet all those references that just sorta got shrugged off as character-history...while 9, had a whole group of strangers that gradually let their story show. That and the gem/materia system seemed to be more in place. I really could go on about it...

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

@dipdish said:

You know an rpg sucks when the story is referred to as a campaign.

I refuse to ponder upon that, since I would not call myself a huge RPG fan. The game was fun, but I did not feel the need to invest more time in it to see the end. I might check out XIII-2 in the future, though.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ristactionjakso

@Young_Charter said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Man Im playing through FF9 now. I am going to either finish off Xenogears, Vagrant Story, or FFVI next. I heard 6 did have a ill story (ill in a good way lol)

Btw bro, when are we going to play minecraft ? I am currently making a spaceship lol

Ya 6 is amazing, the main badguy is great too. There are many secrets like finding weapons, 2 or 3 secret characters. It's great game.

I'll play some minecraft soon, getting a little tired of Lords of Shadow bullzhit so will take a break from it for a bit.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Young_Charter

@ristactionjakso said:

@Young_Charter said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Ya 6 is amazing, the main badguy is great too. There are many secrets like finding weapons, 2 or 3 secret characters. It's great game.

I'll play some minecraft soon, getting a little tired of Lords of Shadow bullzhit so will take a break from it for a bit.

Yea and the good thing is is that I saw FF Anthology for 15.00 new so I will be grabbing that. I still want to finish FF Tactics too.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ristactionjakso

@Young_Charter said:

@ristactionjakso said:

@Young_Charter said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Yea and the good thing is is that I saw FF Anthology for 15.00 new so I will be grabbing that. I still want to finish FF Tactics too.

If you buy ff6, and you get to the floating island.......don't be afraid to wait. That's all I'm gonna say.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I'd say FF10 is probably the best starting point, the older games have aged quite a bit which you may find a bit off-putting.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Young_Charter

@ristactionjakso said:

@Young_Charter said:

@ristactionjakso said:

@Young_Charter said:

@ristactionjakso said:

If you buy ff6, and you get to the floating island.......don't be afraid to wait. That's all I'm gonna say.

lol I hear you bro. If it is available on PSN I will buy it today

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

IMO if you are new to the series or new to JRPGs in general then FF12 is your best bet.. it plays more like a MMO.. its also my fav. FFX however is still a decent enough entry. Not my fav tho

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

honestly, that one laughing scene only lasts like 3 minutes out of the 60 hours you'll be playing. it's great