Do you have any Crazy Launch Stories?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

momshotdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 momshotdad
Member since 2006 • 92 Posts
I have a crazy xbox 360 launch story but im too lazy to type it all. do any of yall have a crazy launch story?
Avatar image for live4thepackers
live4thepackers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 live4thepackers
Member since 2006 • 13348 Posts
i do, but it's in the form of a 3 page essay so i'd rather not share
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
I do too, but I did it back on 11/17/06. There was a thread way back then on this.
RaptorVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RaptorVenom
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts
I do, it's quite simple really, I pre-ordered from EB Games, then while everyone was outside freezing lined up at Best Buy 3 days in advance, I laughed about how crazy that was while I was nice & toasty not wondering if I would get one or if I was wasting my time. Then on launch day, it arrived, I was pleased, no longer cared about those who froze waiting in line & went home empty handed. I had mine without puttin any effort into it at all. It was great.
Alyxm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Alyxm1
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts
I do, it's quite simple really, I pre-ordered from EB Games, then while everyone was outside freezing lined up at Best Buy 3 days in advance, I laughed about how crazy that was while I was nice & toasty not wondering if I would get one or if I was wasting my time. Then on launch day, it arrived, I was pleased, no longer cared about those who froze waiting in line & went home empty handed. I had mine without puttin any effort into it at all. It was great.RaptorVenom
ah dude, its the experience tooo, u missed out, cant wait to line up, and wait, Im an animator, we're a bit mad like that, but its an awesome experience, gona be one of the first to get one, actully the Finland people will be the first to get it. :P
Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
i camped out in Sony Styles in nyc and like 1 hour be4 we went inside to party then buy the PS3.. these 2 guys was about to fight, but we calmed it down... the worse part to me was that one of those 2 guys won a free PS3.. u can check it out in GS vedio of it..
Gamer443

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 Gamer443
Member since 2005 • 931 Posts
wow
RaptorVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RaptorVenom
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts
[QUOTE="RaptorVenom"]I do, it's quite simple really, I pre-ordered from EB Games, then while everyone was outside freezing lined up at Best Buy 3 days in advance, I laughed about how crazy that was while I was nice & toasty not wondering if I would get one or if I was wasting my time. Then on launch day, it arrived, I was pleased, no longer cared about those who froze waiting in line & went home empty handed. I had mine without puttin any effort into it at all. It was great.Alyxm1
ah dude, its the experience tooo, u missed out, cant wait to line up, and wait, Im an animator, we're a bit mad like that, but its an awesome experience, gona be one of the first to get one, actully the Finland people will be the first to get it. :P

I hope it works out for you, i'm sure you will enjoy the experience if you get one, I was more talking about those who went home empty handed. When will you be getting in line?
cofn42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cofn42
Member since 2003 • 525 Posts

Well, I was waiting patiently for the PS3 pre-order to take place at EB here in Winnipeg. I was calling my manager friend every week to see if he heard anything. Well 1 week before I am suppose to leave for Punta Cana he tells me they are taking pre-orders on Monday Oct 16th. Sadly I will be out of town and he cant do anything for me.

So there went my only secure way to get a PS3.

Nov 16 arrives. I was planning on camping at Superstore here as it is not too well though of as a place for electronics. Well by 5pm there are already 5 people camped out at my local Superstore, I drive all over the city, by 7 pm there was no places left in line, anywhere. We tried to bribe someone for their spot in line, no luck. We came across a place, Zellers, whom I called in the afternoon, and they told me they were getting 5 systems, and only had 3 pre-orders. To our surprise, there was no one camped there. So we stked a claim and waited. Around 1 am some electicians came out for a smoke, and we got tot talking, we told them why we were here, and they agreed to go talk to some people inside and see how many PS3's they got. Well the overnight shelf stoking supervisor came to have a chat with us, and informed us they only got 3 systems in instead of the 5 expected, and they were all to go to pre-orders. UGH! 5 hours wasted for nothing.... Now there was no where to go, at all.

We headed home, dejected.

The next morning I tried from 6am - 9am to get the systems Futureshop and Best buy were offering online. Best I could do is get halfway through the transaction before the website was overloading. So no dice either.

10am Launch day we head to Costco, rumor has it they will be stoking systems as well. Tried their website before we left but they were all sold out. Grabbed my uncles Costco card and headed out. Waited until almost opening and got to talk to one of the guys there. Well turns out none of the stores are carying them, only online for now. UGH! that was my last hope.

I called my Eb again just in case some marical happened. No luck, they had 1 extra 20 gig but were told it had to go to another store as they got short shipped. DAMNIT!!!! Oh well, I put in a last minute request then for a Wii for Sunday, and my best gal there put one aside for me with Zelda.

I struck a deal with my wife that I would get a Wii now, and when the PS3 came in I wouyld use the rest of my credit (about 500 dollars) and she would pay the rest, and I would get a PS3 for Xmas, if the happen to get one in before then.

Well did that come back to bite me in the ass. I got a call on Tuesday the 21st and my EB got 1 20 gig in to replace the one that was shipped to another store. My gal held it for me and I rush out and grabbed it on the 21st.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#10 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

Ok, I'll tell my story.

Day- 11/14/06

Place- Circuit City. 14th Street Union Square Manhattan NYC.

Well, Me and my girl were waiting in the park across the street from the curcuit city and noticed people starting to crowd around the store. (I'm skipping some of the non important stuff) We ran across the street to find out Jack Black was signing autographs at the virgin mega store, so the PS3 line hadn't formed yet. As it started to get dark people started coming and asking me and my girl is the line for the PS3 over here and since I "Thought" I was the first one there I said yea. Low and behold about 7 people formed up and we found out that the true line was around the corner. Lol..thank god it was only about 10 people there, so we were good. The messed up thing was that whole night we were being told that all the raffle tickets were given out sunday and there were no more, so we should go home. We paid no attention to the people claiming that nonsense and stayed online that whole night. Eventually we were given chairs, so we were good.

11/15/06- Nothing major happened. I almost got into a fight but nothing MAJOR happened. Well, except for the fact that when I called my job so I could pick up my check..they told me to come in and when I came in they said I had to wait until tommorow. Yea, that sucked.

11/16/07(The day that nearly destroyed me)

So, it was pay day and I had quit my previous job and was expecting to get my check today. I had my friend hold my spot down while I went to pick up my check and once I got my check I went to commerce bank on 34th street. I went there and gave them my check and they told me I couldn't cash it. They said I owed them money...Oh yea I forgot to mention my last job sucked big time! They had our checks bouncing..they were giving us bad checks to cash. So, anyways I only had like $300 & change on me, so the check was suppose to help!!! What did I do? Well, I walked back to 14th street to meet up with my boy to find out they were going to start starting the offical line in 20mins, so we went all around the village looking for a check cashing spot. We finally found one and the Smuck told he I couldn't cash it because I didn't live in the area. WHAT?! So, now we were running out of time to get back to the line and I thought we wouldn't find any place to cash my check. Oh, I almost forgot that the girl in commerce put my account number on the back of the check so no bank or check cashing spot would cash it. THAT *****!!! So, we finally came across a Western Union and they cashed my check even thought the account number was on the back. Lol...I actually changed some of the numbers anyways so even if they did look it up it would've came up with no answer because of the fake account number. Lol, so anyways we came back and got on the line and since now I had a total of $560 something I had planned on getting the 20gb PS3. The store manager then came out and told us that there were no 20gb PS3's. My heart was crushed and I was hurt, but I still stayed online.

11/16/06(Evening)-11/17/06(12am)

I was online with my girl and towards the night time it started poring. We were all on tv and stuff, but it was still nasty outside. Ummmmm, so yea, a guy wanted to get ahead online and was willing do dish out $300 to get online. Heh he heh heh heh...What did I do? Well, I told my girl to get off the line and I was going to let the kid on, but some kids started complaining to the police officers, so the kid had to get offline. Sooooooooooo.....I did this...I told him that my girl would go in and get it for him, so he could still get it. SO WHAT HAPPENED?! HE GAVE ME $300 for letting my girl get it for him and now I had more than enough to get the 60gb!!!! Well all in all I got my 60gb PS3 and he got his system and I prayed my a** off that night I tell ya. God was with me because so many things could've went wrong.

That's my story. Had you on the edge of your seat, huh?

jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
Here's my story very quick Waited at GS for a preorder for 12 hours in the freezing cold, store only had 4 preorders! Waited at a local Target for 40 hours in the freezing cold, they only got 12 in. The best part was when people started showing up 1 or 2 hours before the store opened expecting to get one! Sold both on Ebay for a combined $3,000 profit, thats after the console costs and all the fees.
LoboSolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 LoboSolo
Member since 2002 • 1136 Posts
My crazy launch story is short. I didn't buy one on launch day. I waited 1 week, and walked into Circuit City and bought it. Simple.