Do gamers want SE to continue with Final Fantasy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Undue_Influence
Undue_Influence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Undue_Influence
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

Just want to get the community consensus if SE should persist with the FF series or create a new IP, and if to continue what is wanted in the future?

My preference is that SE continue with the series, but go back to having an overarching story where the lead characters embark on a journey, with the conventional class type system. My FF experience is 7,8,9,10,10-2 and 13. I really enjoyed exploring the worlds and cities of 7-10 with each game changing up the combat system, the world and the characters.

In 10 I really enjoyed playing blitz ball, grinding to face dark aeons, getting limit breaks and the journey with the characters. 10-2 became such a huge let down as I was invested in the story and SE pulled a "mario choose your adventure mystery ending" by changing the conclusion based on how much you completed 10-2. I thought it was a bit sloppy after spending circa 110 hours getting through 10 only to not have a definitive resolution.

FF13 was a let down as the plot seemed convoluted, they kept mentioning pulse and falcie, but it was not Kuja, Sin, Seifer/Ultimecia or Sephiroth, 15 hours in and I did not know what I was fighting, and hated that they split you in pairs forcing you to play with people that would normally be relegated and never levelled in a conventional FF game.

I really have missed the series and wanted to see how other people felt, if they miss the old FF series? Do people like the new cinematic direction? or are there enough JRPGs now that other series are worth playing?

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I want them to give it one more shot. If it fails, then ditch it. Don't ff13 the sh!t out of a failing game.

They need to go back to their roots. Have the same presentation as older ff titles, but in 3d.

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

Just finished the Lightning Returns demo. Combat System is Waaay better imo. Plot wise i am lost, since i have only played about the first of XIII-2. I would recommend trying out the demo. It looks promising.

Can't wait for the X | X-2 Remaster! X is my favorite FF.

Fingers crossed for XV!

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I feel like if they created a new ip it would probably be the same game with a different name. If you called poop suddenly cake, but it was still pooped by SE, it will still be poop.

If they can get back to focusing on the gameplay and get away from obsessively worrying about the cinematic quality then I want them to keep at it. Of course, if they could have cinematic quality and great gameplay, that would be nice too. Lol.

Wish in one hand and poop in the other and see what you get first, though, I always say.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i think they should continue

ANGRYWOLF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ANGRYWOLF
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Square has no choice. They should try to get Sakaguichi and Matsuno back.Just my opinion.We'll have to see if FFXV formerly Versus is any good and will draw back the fans.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9574 Posts

Yes, I feel they should continue, just not down the crap path they have forged over the last few titles.... Go back to 10 and then slowly rewind to 9, and then 8, 7, 6,5,4 etc. Mix those. Turn based good ol' fashioned FF. Not this crap that plays itself and you don't even control you entire party... what a joke.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

I think so. I barely played 13 and it turned me off after a few hours in. They need to keep the exploratory aspect of the game in. Combat needs an overhaul. I really liked the way it was done in Vagrant Story and parasite eve.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Continue the series but go back to the basics.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I gave up on final fantasy when they got lazy and started using the same characters and sticking to the same game, i.e 12.5, 12.25 lol you get my drift i enjoyed final fantasy because of the variety of each new game, just seems they can't come up with anything new and have become lazy in creating a unqiue new world and story at the moment

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I bought both FF13, and FF13.2 and gave up on them... I still have to beat FF13.2 because it's just too dumbed down for Xbroke dvd level. They didn't have a basic world map and airship type situation because of cramming it onto the highest bidder Microsoft's dvd player. That's what I honestly believe, they just sold-out for money and the easier job of making a smaller game for easy money. I remember all my old games which I still have on PS, the damn games are 4 discs!!! so it's obvious the entire industry will default to M$ because they bribe them.

People don't want to believe it i guess, but M$ openly bribed entire movie studios to back HD DVD over Blu-ray etc, they are scum and SquarEnix BS'd us about Versus for YEARS... "oh that.... uh it's going next gen multi platform"

F' them to hell. I'll buy another one of their games when I see something worth the money. it's my Final kcuF You to them. I'm still sickened by the way 3rd parties treated the PS3, not one multiple disc game... hell even Sony barely put out any games that filled an entire Blu-ray 25GB disc. To me the PS3 could and should have another 5 or more years of life since nobody ever pushed the format hard. Graphics aside, they could put out massive amazing games on the PS3. Now I'm on to PS4 and the same will probably happen, default to the the crappier easier to develop for system, The Bribebox Xboner.... oh, "hey it's got a Blu-ray drive now.... now we're in the BIG TIMES WHOA"

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I want them to continue with new games, not create crappy sequels for mediocre at best games like FF13. FFXV looks great, and although I wouldn't pay the monthly fee, FFXIV looks like a great game as well.

I actually really enjoyed FFX, FFX-2, FFXI, and FFXII. FFXIII just left a bad, bitter taste in my mouth.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Personally I don't want them to keep at it. New IP, that is all.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

I think they should continue it, but drop the numbering. FF XX LOL. Like others have said, they should go back to their roots and make great FF games with deep stories and great music and an involved turn based system. I really loved the materia system in VII. Also, please Squenix, no more teenie bopper music like you had in XIII.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pupp3t_mast3r
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

@Undue_Influence said:

Just want to get the community consensus if SE should persist with the FF series or create a new IP, and if to continue what is wanted in the future?

My preference is that SE continue with the series, but go back to having an overarching story where the lead characters embark on a journey, with the conventional class type system. My FF experience is 7,8,9,10,10-2 and 13. I really enjoyed exploring the worlds and cities of 7-10 with each game changing up the combat system, the world and the characters.

In 10 I really enjoyed playing blitz ball, grinding to face dark aeons, getting limit breaks and the journey with the characters. 10-2 became such a huge let down as I was invested in the story and SE pulled a "mario choose your adventure mystery ending" by changing the conclusion based on how much you completed 10-2. I thought it was a bit sloppy after spending circa 110 hours getting through 10 only to not have a definitive resolution.

FF13 was a let down as the plot seemed convoluted, they kept mentioning pulse and falcie, but it was not Kuja, Sin, Seifer/Ultimecia or Sephiroth, 15 hours in and I did not know what I was fighting, and hated that they split you in pairs forcing you to play with people that would normally be relegated and never levelled in a conventional FF game.

I really have missed the series and wanted to see how other people felt, if they miss the old FF series? Do people like the new cinematic direction? or are there enough JRPGs now that other series are worth playing?

You basically expressed my feelings toward the FF franchise perfectly, while I have the fondest memories in the world of growing up playing the classic FF games ff10-2 and onwards just left me mourning the series. FF 13 was the last straw for me since all I wanted to do for most of that game was slap half the cast for being so two dimensional! Let's not even talk about what they did to the summoning system or the single most convoluted journal/cinematic storytelling system I've ever experienced in any game. Ever.

Squeenix have basically bastardized one of the greatest franchises to ever exist and it's more than clear that they're investing more resources into games like Tomb Raider and Hitman as opposed to the IP that cultivated their fanbase in the first place. I for one hope that Squeenix sell the rights to FF to another company so that justice can finally be done to the Final Fantasy name.

kennysal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 kennysal
Member since 2014 • 52 Posts

yes.

kennysal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points