Can you Re-download PSN games after upgrading HDD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts
I'll be upgrading my PS3 HDD in the future but I don't have an external drive big enough to back up all the data on my PS3. I have a 32MB pen drive which I can use to back up individual small files like game saves but I'll have to kiss my PSN and PS1 games goodbye. So my question is can I download those games again after upgrading my HDD without buying them again?
stuartcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stuartcee
Member since 2002 • 12846 Posts

I've read on here that you can. i dont have my ps3 on now but I think its in the store under history or something like that.

Avatar image for BurningChimaera
BurningChimaera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 BurningChimaera
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts

Yes, you can, but unless I'm mistaken, it's counted as one of your 5 chances for download from the Store, so you can only download it 3 times more after that.

I think it would be better if it were registered with your PS3 system, so it wouldn't be a problem to re-download after a HDD change.

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

I'll be upgrading my PS3 HDD in the future but I don't have an external drive big enough to back up all the data on my PS3. I have a 32MB pen drive which I can use to back up individual small files like game saves but I'll have to kiss my PSN and PS1 games goodbye. So my question is can I download those games again after upgrading my HDD without buying them again?jdt532

I believe you can redownload 3 times or something like that.

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jdt532

Yes, you can, but unless I'm mistaken, it's counted as one of your 5 chances for download from the Store, so you can only download it 3 times more after that.

I think it would be better if it were registered with your PS3 system, so it wouldn't be a problem to re-download after a HDD change.

BurningChimaera

I guess I'll just have to upgrade to a HDD that's big enough to last awhile. I think I'll get one that's 250GB, that should be enough for awhile but who knows... DMC4 required a large install and now I hear that GT5P will require a 5GB install so if these installs become a norm on the PS3 250GB may not be big enough.

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

and don't forget, anything that you bought won't be in the normal store page anymore, you got to go to the download list to redownload stuff you bought.

babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

In every official Sony statement I've read about it, you can download it on up to 5 SYSTEMS. In addition, you can redownload as many times as you like on each of those 5 systems.

I don't think swapping your hard-drive will make the PSN recognize the PS3 as a different system, but you're fine either way.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
actually your wrong its like xbox live and wii vc once you pay for it , your psn name is tied to that item ive restored and downloaded gt hd several times
jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jdt532

actually your wrong its like xbox live and wii vc once you pay for it , your psn name is tied to that item ive restored and downloaded gt hd several times mariokart64fan

That's awesome, I feel much better about upgrading the HDD now.

SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts

You can download to only 5 different PS3s but an unlimited amount of times on any of those 5 PS3s. You can also use a USB storage device to transfer all the data from your old PS3 HDD to the new HDD. I don't remember how I did my first one as it was a long time ago but I think you just back up the data on the USB drive and then transfer it to the new HDD. I didn't have any downloadable content on my PS3 before when I did it and nor do I now but I'm not sure if it'll back up your downloaded files as they may be too big for the size of the USB drive you use. Either way, yes you can re-download the files any amount of times to the same PS3 and the other 4 PS3s that you have downloaded to with that same account.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Yes, you can... I did twice on 2 diferrent PS3s..... just go to the PS Store and go to your account download history.
jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts
GTHD is free? If so, it wouldn't matter how many times you deleted it, since you'd always be able to download it again FREE of charge.

However, I would assume items that you must pay for would be attached to your PSN ID, which also means you have a limit of 5 downloads for that PSN account max. This sucks for people who are upgrading their HDD, as it pretty much takes away one of their downloads. I guess they have the limit though, to stop one person, downloading however many copies of it to however many PS3's he can log in on.

An earlier suggestion about tying it to console ID is good, but would disallow the sharing of games between family/friends, so it's an awkward situation...
nyjetsfan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nyjetsfan5000
Member since 2006 • 183 Posts
yeah, you can download it to five different PS3's. But, if you're just redownloading it, then it doesnt count against you. Do it as often as you want
blueblur87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 blueblur87
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts
I heard Gran Turismo (don't know which one) doesn't keep your old saves if you transfer them from a USB stick... I think it might be to do with PSN connectivity and past online records not matching(???). I would really like to know if any other games are affected, like psone games, warhawk, wipeout hd, tekken dr online etc. I may end up doing the full backup procedure if they are affected by this, or if they deduct one of the 5 downloads from my records. I have a 320 gig hard drive waiting to be installed whilst I figure out this problem.
Aslas_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aslas_X
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i just restored my ps3 system to make a new network account and i had loads of games downloaded (12) from ps3 store but i cant redownload them from history how do i get them back without remaking my old account??
BpPomerleau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BpPomerleau
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i was gonna freak out if u had to pay for the PSN games again i own every console to date except dreamcast is screwed and xbox i have every new system from SNES to nintendo wii except ps1 but back to the main point my xbox 360 elite allows me to redownload any content thats not a rental for free if i hav already purchased it i was goin to say hopfully the PSN follows that same rule and by the way PS3 kicks microsoft A## microsoft makes u pay to play multiplayer while PSN is free and i can modify my ps3 which is already modded with another OS linux its controller is rechargable and 360's is not it has built in wireless and the 360 u have to pay 100 bucks for a wireless adapter GO SONY DRIVE THOSE MICROSOFT CORPORATE D-BAGS BACK WITH UR AWSOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PvtGump8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 PvtGump8
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

GTHD is free? If so, it wouldn't matter how many times you deleted it, since you'd always be able to download it again FREE of charge.

However, I would assume items that you must pay for would be attached to your PSN ID, which also means you have a limit of 5 downloads for that PSN account max. This sucks for people who are upgrading their HDD, as it pretty much takes away one of their downloads. I guess they have the limit though, to stop one person, downloading however many copies of it to however many PS3's he can log in on.

An earlier suggestion about tying it to console ID is good, but would disallow the sharing of games between family/friends, so it's an awkward situation...jonnyt61

You can redownload it as many times as you want.

Mandarkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mandarkan
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Wait, how can you download it on another ps3? Last time I tried I couldn't connect to my account on another profile because the only option instead of "Sign In" was "Create a new PSN account".
needadispenser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 needadispenser
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
yes, you can DL as many times as you want, on up to 5 ps3's
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
yes, just go to the store and it will show that you have purchased it then you can redownload from there.
Falladayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Falladayne
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Ya, if u downloaded it from the playstation store, then just find that game in the store, and it will say "game already purchased" and u can download. IDK about disk games.
CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

I believe so.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I just backed up my HDD to a portable drive inserted the new drive and reinstalled everything. It was alot faster than redownloading stuff.If you have a drive with room I would suggest that.