This topic is locked from further discussion.

Glong_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Glong_22
Member since 2015 • 42 Posts

Having never played any of the demon souls serried (which I think it is related to) would a newcomer have fun with bloodborne?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Hard to say, since it isn't released yet and we don't know the type of games you like. In a general sense, the Souls games (which you are correct, this is spawned from) are action-oriented RPGs with a high difficulty level. They tend to have very little dialogue, very little reading - it's all about destroying insensate evil. The difficulty is loved by many because it isn't "cheap" - you have tight controls, different types of weapons at your disposal, and different enemies behave different ways and are weak to certain combat strategies. So, just like a real warrior, you need to get good at the offense and defense techniques available to you, know when to use which ones, and think before leaping in and mashing buttons. In other words, you win combat by becoming a better combatant. And many find that super rewarding. It's still frustrating to others.

So, if you want a hack'n'slash, this will maybe be more difficult and slower paced than your expectations. If you want a deep character-driven/story driven RPG, this is probably too combat-oriented for your expectations. But if you want challenging combat, defeating horrifying monsters in a very rewarding way, this is probably right up your alley.

Hope this helps!

p.s. - I've heard rumors there are some kind of tie-ins to the Souls series in the game, but as far as I'm aware you won't miss any meaningful lore jumping into this. It's supposed to be stand-alone

Glong_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Glong_22

@xantufrog: thanks a bunch dude. That really helps.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I wasn't a fan of the souls games but Im defiantly getting bloodborne. It looks so appealing to me.

mahusayx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mahusayx
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

I wasn't a fan of the souls games but Im defiantly getting bloodborne. It looks so appealing to me.

no offense but if you didn't like souls, im not really sure how bloodbourne will make you feel any different; after watching many many gameplay videos, the core game is still a souls game. but hey, your money. :P

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

Not interested in a 60 dollar game that lasts for 6 hours. I can spend 60 dollars on beer and get more out of it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@gcfreak898 said:

Not interested in a 60 dollar game that lasts for 6 hours. I can spend 60 dollars on beer and get more out of it.

Not sure where you got this idea - you can SPEEDRUN souls games pretty quickly if you are very skilled and know what to do. But they are easily 30+ hour games...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts
@gcfreak898 said:

wat? these are pretty lengthy games. my first play through of Dark Souls took me 70 hours and every play through after has took me no less than 30 hours

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@gcfreak898 said:

I've averaged ~300 hours per game. I think you might be doing it wrong.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I'm also curious about Bloodborne, admittedly I've never played any of the Souls games because they just seemed too hard and I like games that are heavy on story. But something about Bloodborne has me interested, my little brother will be getting it regardless (loved the souls games) so I'm definitely going to try it out.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@glong_22 said:

Having never played any of the demon souls serried (which I think it is related to) would a newcomer have fun with bloodborne?

Seeing as the Souls games appeal to a niche, that being sub 1% of any platform they release on, the chances of you finding interest in it are nearly non-existent. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try it in some way before you decide to buy, but be prepared in the event that you don't like it because it's basically a 99/100 chance that you won't.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@nyadc said:

@glong_22 said:

Seeing as the Souls games appeal to a niche, that being sub 1% of any platform they release on, the chances of you finding interest in it are nearly non-existent. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try it in some way before you decide to buy, but be prepared in the event that you don't like it because it's basically a 99/100 chance that you won't.

Where exactly did you get these facts from? I'm just curious.

Glong_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Glong_22

@nyadc: is it really that low of a chance in your mind? If so why? Why is the niche so small? Thanks for the help though.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm having issues with lord of the fallen, so there's no way I'm getting bloodborne!

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@nyadc said:

@glong_22 said:

Where exactly did you get these facts from? I'm just curious.

Sales figures for the games, platforms they were available on plus the total number of hardware units sold that the games played on.