Anyone use a PC HDMI monitor to game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 1076751
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts
Long story short.... I can no longer use my LCD TV to play my PS3 anymore... I need a HDMI monitor to put in my room. It will be shared with my PC using DVI. However, how does it work in different resolution? Will it be able to play games in both 720p and 1080p? What about the sound? Do I need to find one with built in speakers or I need to connect the speakers to ps3? Sorry I am such a noob with these kind of stuff.... Any good 22-24 inch HDMI monitor recommendation?
EddieTheHead84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 EddieTheHead84
Member since 2011 • 2131 Posts
Very recently I got a PC and I use my 21.5 Samsung monitor and I use it for my PC and PS3. It works great and I love it. A few tips though: 1: I have my PS3 on my disc so a small screen doesn't matter but if you don't then get a bigger screen. 2: Check to make sure it has an HDMI and DVI input. 3:Most monitors don't have speakers but good PC speakers are cheap.
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts

I'll post what you need. give me a min.

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts

I recently started gaming on a 22" Samsung monitor and have no regrets, I used too play on an 42" SD TV but now I prefer the monitor as its in HD and on my room.

A 22" to 24" is a great size to get as along as your not too far away from the monitor. If you can't afford a monitor with built in speakers don't worry about it as there's a way around it.

You'll need the following, if you have a monitor without built in speakers.

PS3 (duh) :P

HDMI to DVI...or a HDMI to VGA (Depends on which one is in the back of the monitor.(The HDMI goes into your PS3 and this is your video,and the DVI or VGA goes in the monitor.)

PS3 AV Cable..The red and white cable are for sound and the yellow if for video, we won't be using the yellow cable because HDMI is in town! :D..when you use a HDMI on a non Speaker monitor you lose your sound.

Plug the PS3 AV cable into the PS3 and connect the white and red cable to this...2x RCAcable and then connect the black jack to this 3.5mm Stereo Jack and then you can buy some cheap speakers or headphones and plug it in...now you have sound and HD video up to 1080p.

Watch this video it will tell you now to change the settings which you need to do in order to get the sound and video working.

Enjoy if you need help just send me a message and I'll help you out :)

EddieTheHead84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EddieTheHead84
Member since 2011 • 2131 Posts
^Surely it would be simpler if he just used an hdmi cable?
geoffmehoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 geoffmehoff
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts

this is how im set up i have a 23 inch lcd LG monitor and i use a hdmi cord from my ps3 to the monitor and then the monitor has a mic input where you would put headphones or speakers plug headphones or speakers in it and voila you have sound and picture .TC you should look for a monitor that has hdmi so its easier and most monitors have this nowadays . You dont need the rcas if you have hdmi

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts
You can use an HDMI cable and just plug headphones or speakers inside the green jack most monitors have one if you don't have built in sound. I sometimes use my 30 inch when I wanna watch hockey or something and play at the same time and it works fine.