Wtf, my background on my comp has a antivirus sign on it...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Wtf, my background on my comp has a antivirus sign on it...And for some reason the option to change the background is gone. This is for Windows XP. Is there a way to solve this?
banedonoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 banedonoes
Member since 2007 • 701 Posts
go to safemode and do a virus scan
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hydralisk86
go to safemode and do a virus scan banedonoes
How do I do that? I can't see the safe mode option when I restart my computer. Is there a way to do it?
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
is it this? Antivirus XP 2008. if that's what it is - it made the rounds on a TON of office computers a month ago, and iirc it got on your computer via opening a news-site branded email. MBAM should be able to get it off, otherwise you're mildly boned because it's a huge pain to remove. edit: this is MBAM: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php i don't leave it running in the background, it's usually all shut down - i just start it up to run a scan every once in a while, it's good at removing tougher trojans like vundo
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="banedonoes"]go to safemode and do a virus scan hydralisk86
How do I do that? I can't see the safe mode option when I restart my computer. Is there a way to do it?

before windows starts booting up (before it goes to the splash screen, after the POST), hit f8 - i just tap it every second or two to make sure i don't miss the window - and it should open up a list of boot options.
Neme2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Neme2010
Member since 2008 • 206 Posts

Looks like your Win32.dll file has beem hijacked by a virus.

Download AVG Free version or Avast Home Edition (also free), install and do a C: drive disk scan. Follow on screen instructions.

Leave the antivirus installed, always. You could also try out a firewall like Zonealarm, but until you get used to its popups and become aware of how to control it, you may find it too much. But it will prevent virus type apps from accessing the internet, once they are on your comp which then try and download the bulk of the virus.

Good luck.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
Yep, you have a virsu there!
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hydralisk86

Looks like your Win32.dll file has beem hijacked by a virus.

Download AVG Free version or Avast Home Edition (also free), install and do a C: drive disk scan. Follow on screen instructions.

Leave the antivirus installed, always. You could also try out a firewall like Zonealarm, but until you get used to its popups and become aware of how to control it, you may find it too much. But it will prevent virus type apps from accessing the internet, once they are on your comp which then try and download the bulk of the virus.

Good luck.

Neme2010
I ran a scam after downloading avast Antivirus, at times it asked me "File is in Windows folder, are you sure? Choose: 1- Yes 2-Yes all 3-No Esc-Exit. I chose to press 1 each time. The computer restarted, but my background still has the antivirus window on it. Is there something else I can do?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hydralisk86
Can someone else help me out? I downloaded the avast antivirus, but I don't know the exact steps to take other than to delete everything it says was infected. Is there something specific that I missed?
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
reinstall your OS. This particular virus has "morphed" and malwarebytes says it removes it but doesnt.

not only does it infect the system files, put start up registry entries in the run folders, the software folders and profile folders.

The exe also runs from Program files and system32 and your profile (docs & sets).

the .bmp and .scr is located in the system32 folder. you can delete all the files and they will be put back in place.

I have a server 2003 machine with this virus on it, luckily we replaced with a 2008 server a day later.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
This thing is a trojan and rams itself pretty deep into the registry, we deal with it daily here at the Hospital I work at, only real option is to wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install
Neme2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Neme2010
Member since 2008 • 206 Posts

Hello Again

Can you check to see if you can change your background using display properties now? The Virus Scan may have removed the virus, but your background is still set to the virus background. Hopefully, the tabs that were missing are now visible.

Good luck

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hydralisk86

Hello Again

Can you check to see if you can change your background using display properties now? The Virus Scan may have removed the virus, but your background is still set to the virus background. Hopefully, the tabs that were missing are now visible.

Good luck

Neme2010
Somehow I don't see the option to change the background. Is it possible it was removed by the virus?