Witcher 3 preformance issues i7 with 280x

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darr3n_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darr3n_n
Member since 2015 • 27 Posts

i am running a i7 920, 10gb ram, and a 280x toxic 3gb. No matter how low i set the game i get shuttering and screen tearing. I have tried different displays, changed my system to a AMD 8 core with 16gb ram, swapped out SSDs, reinstalled windows and still face the same issue. Has anyone else been plagued with similar issues?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher  Online
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Enable v-sync and or fps cap, also in AMD control panel limit tessellation usage to 8x. Also make sure hairworks is off ingame.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Enable v-sync and or fps cap, also in AMD control panel limit tessellation usage to 8x. Also make sure hairworks is off ingame.

This^ but don't expect it to fix the issues. Had the same problem is unplayable to me on single 7970. Soooo I'm waiting on the Crossfire profile (or the 980 Ti SLI, whichever gets to me first).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69765 Posts

Is this happening with any other game?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@darr3n_n said:

i am running a i7 920, 10gb ram, and a 280x toxic 3gb. No matter how low i set the game i get shuttering and screen tearing. I have tried different displays, changed my system to a AMD 8 core with 16gb ram, swapped out SSDs, reinstalled windows and still face the same issue. Has anyone else been plagued with similar issues?

Change your monitor?

I don't have any screen tearing, everything set to high, hairworks off.

How much fps you've got? and what is your screen refresh rate?

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

You won't get it fixed, this game has bad frame-pacing issues. Even capping the framerate doesn't help for some systems.

We'll have to wait for AMD drivers and game updates.

This is my performance following these tips:

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Yep, game likes to stutter. Eventually they will stop worrying about sea shells and cows... And actually fix a number of performance issues.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

for me the game is almost completely smooth and i only have a 7850 . Using a mix of medium and high settings and i limit my fps to 35 using afterburner. Frametimes are constant ~25ms ( i get rare spikes to 35-45ms but nothing to serious ) . Using beta drivers 15.4

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I had issues in the metro2033/last light games with stuttering until I disabled cpu core parking.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

for me the game is almost completely smooth and i only have a 7850 . Using a mix of medium and high settings and i limit my fps to 35 using afterburner. Frametimes are constant ~25ms ( i get rare spikes to 35-45ms but nothing to serious ) . Using beta drivers 15.4

Completely smooth and 35fps, right...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 adamosmaki

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@adamosmaki said:

we are talking a 7850 here and considering is 35fps with no drops yeah its completely smooth

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@adamosmaki said:

I'm in agreement with adamosmaki. My framerates hang around 35-45 (going up into the 50's in caves or indoors) fps with the PC in my sig.

Hairworks: Off

AA: Off - TW3 without AA looks better than some games with 2xAA or even 4xAA. All my screenshots have had the AA off.

No of char: Low

Grass Density: Low - the grass is the ugliest part of the game. Might as well not have a lot.

Foliage Visibility Distance: Low - Not a big deal because the nearer trees often hide objects that are farther away

Everything else are either On or Ultra.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@adamosmaki said:

I'm in agreement with adamosmaki. My framerates hang around 35-45 (going up into the 50's in caves or indoors) fps with the PC in my sig.

AA: Off - TW3 without AA looks better than some games with 2xAA or even 4xAA. All my screenshots have had the AA off.

Grass Density: Low - the grass is the ugliest part of the game. Might as well not have a lot.

Foliage Visibility Distance: Low - Not a big deal because the nearer trees often hide objects that are farther away

Is the grass setting something that really hits performance?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 adamosmaki

@horgen said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@adamosmaki said:

According to this guide http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1952-complete-witcher-3-graphics-optimization-guide-and-performance Foliage visibility range has a severe impact in performance ( at least on ultra )

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

According to this guide http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1952-complete-witcher-3-graphics-optimization-guide-and-performance Foliage visibility range has a severe impact in performance ( at least on ultra )

Just curious, as grass settings is the biggest performance hit for me in Skyrim. Although I think it is because it sends my VRAM usage up to way above 2GB that I got. (RAM usage increased with 1GB or so)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@horgen said:

I'm not sure. I turned it down because it just looked too ugly.

darr3n_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darr3n_n
Member since 2015 • 27 Posts

I turned down every possible setting and the problem is still there. I gave my video card to a friend and he said it worked fine in his system.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

I wouldn't trust someone else, some people are just oblivious to performance issues.