Witcher 2 devs claim 100% accuracy of identifying pirates. Demands money.

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

Scare tactics or legitimate claim? You be the judge.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/15/the-witcher-2-devs-claim-100-accuracy-in-identifying-pirates-demand-money-from-thousands/

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I really doubt they know 100% who is pirating.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I'm sure they can do it but will they win in court? Who knows. I gotta say, this is a bold and aggressive move by CDPR and I can't blame them. I can only support them. If this "trade secret" carries over to other companies and are contracted through this third-party company, pirates will have blood on their hands. Watch out, pirates.
tobes1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tobes1993
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts
I really hope this pays dividends. The more pirates they catch the better. Hopefully this secret way of doing will work and will spread across the industry
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

What!? A company is actually trying to punish pirates for piracy and not legimate consumers? What an awful approach.

/sarcasm

About time companies go after whom are causing the problems rather than causing problems for those who aren't.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Witcher 2 devs lie and support extortion.

RPS has a great article about this.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

They should learn how to build a proper fighting game engine and spend more time working on their games instead of trolling torrents. I feel trolled by purchasing their game which I thought would play well but ended up controlling like a monkeys ass.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

While I doubt its 100%. I don't doubt they have some sort of accuracy!

Now I am not against piracy, though I don't really pirate myself. I don't really support it either. But its not the problem its made out to be, nor are people who pirate games, music and such are the criminals they are made out to be!

That being said, I am happy a company is actually focusing on going after them, instead of making their legitimate customers jump through ridiculous hoops just to prove their innocence. The burden of proof is not the customers having to prove their innocence. I am glad frankly, that a corporation/company actually realizes this. Especially this day in age where everything has ridiculous DRM.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

The MPAA has used similar tactics for years and they're seen as an evil, outdated corporation. CDPR tries it and they're the savours of PC gaming?

This will only end badly. Their decision to mail threats to people has destroyed my faith in what seemed like an excellent up-and-coming independent studio. Looks like TW1 & 2 will be my only purchases from them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

They should learn how to build a proper fighting game engine and spend more time working on their games instead of trolling torrents. I feel trolled by purchasing their game which I thought would play well but ended up controlling like a monkeys ass.

ShimmerMan

:roll: With that response, I doubt you purchased it in the first place.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Witcher 2 devs lie and support extortion.

RPS has a great article about this.

Baranga

Pirates lie and support thievery.

The more of them that get punished, the better off we will all be.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Good for them, but for some reason, the way it's written, doesn't sound like there actually is something there and with the ******* internet hacks on gaming companies this year...they might get into trouble for trying to get what they deserve, because that's the sad world we live in.
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Born_Lucky

*double*

These guys did everything right - No drm, FREE DLC, the works.

How did the punks of the world reward them?

They mass pirated their games.

Pirates deserve whatever they get. I hope after they're forced to pay for what they stole, their ISPs ban them for life.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShimmerMan

[QUOTE="ShimmerMan"]

Advid-Gamer

:roll: With that response, I doubt you purchased it in the first place.

I was expecting a comment such as this. Just because I found the game to be sub-par, that of course means I didn't purchase it!

I checked google and look what I dug up..

Shimmerman Buys Witcher 2!!

The box was better than the actual flipping game. CDprojeckt really needs to work harder on their games instead of poncing around crying about piracy. Look at Bethesda, love or hate them they try harder with every installation of TES. They did not sell that well with Morrowind but now look at the sells they're producing with Skyrim

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Yeah.. 100%... lol. Anyway im not impressed with extortion or blackmailing. If you are going to sue someone then sue them dont go outside the law and try to make money out of it. Oh wait that would mean that they would have to be 100% sure with PROOF that could link a person directly to it... Well yeah good luck with that.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts

Well in case anyone read the first sentence it says "CD Projekt RED have sent legal notices demanding money from thousands of alleged pirates in Germany, with a threat of court action for anyone refusing to pay." Germany has quite strict anti piracy laws. And this has happened before with the police raiding thousands of persons computers. This will most likely just occur only in Germany just to make an example of pirates if at all.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Baranga

*double*

Pirates deserve whatever they get. I hope after they're forced to pay for what they stole, their ISPs ban them for life.

Born_Lucky

Collateral victims be damned. Yeee-haw, etc.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

They didn't sound like the settlement is asking for much. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just asking for the $50 purchase price of the game. Also, they didn't say they catch 100% of pirates. They just said 100% of the letters that got sent out to suspected pirates have turned out to be real pirates. Pirates can fake their IP, so there are probably thousands that won't ever be caught. (IP is the only possible tracking online, and it's unreliable as tracking is not its intended purpose.)

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]

*double*

Baranga

Collateral victims be damned. Yeee-haw, etc.

Yes who cares about innocent people that get stuck in the middle. its for the greater good... MONEY :>
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Born_Lucky

Pirates be damned

Yee Haw

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
"We lost our court case, we need money quickly so lets demand it from pirates!".
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Born_Lucky

I was actually being lenient.

These slimy pieces of garbage, that steal what doesn't belong to them from people who worked hard to create it - should go to jail.

Let them try stealing from another inmate in prison.

Poetic justice.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Baranga

Imagine if jailed pirates could steal something from their inmates without the object being actually taken from the inmates. How amazing would that be?!

Is this turning into another one of those idiotic piracy threads? I'd rather have it locked.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#24 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
lol what a bunch of fools. They have a "secret" method of tracking IP addresses but won't reveal it. I find that more concerning on its own than DRM, which apart from the thought of limited installs I haven't been affected by and I've played through 30hrs+ of AC2 comfortably. They insist on not including DRM but don't bother to optimise their game, release an early demo and then complain about piracy. They've brought this on themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Imagine if jailed pirates could steal something from their inmates without the object being actually taken from the inmates. How amazing would that be?!

Is this turning into another one of those idiotic piracy threads? I'd rather have it locked.

Baranga

People that think like you are part of the problem

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts
As much as I respect(ed) CD Projekt, this is f***** stupid. Really, track 4 million pirates? Well, did you know that most of the pirates are from parts of the world that are NOT Europe or North America? Yea, good luck going after Chinese, Middle Eastern, and South American pirates. And those people wouldn't have bought the game in the first place, regardless if they pirated it or not.
dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

Baranga
I agree. Piracy is wrong. However it's not stealing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
[QUOTE="Baranga"]

dangamit

How is it not?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Baranga

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Advid-Gamer

People that think like you are part of the problem

I buy my games but I'm also rational. The bigger problem IMO are people that think fiat justita, et pereat mundus is something worth pursuing.

I wonder if anyone actually opened the article I posted earlier.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

dangamit

How is it not stealing? If its not stealing then whats wrong with it?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It's not possible to tell who actually downloads it unless they are the ones hosting the files, and they are able to petition the ISP to find out who was using that IP address at that time. I'm pretty disappointed in them now.
DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts
Well....a blind man and a dead person got sued for piracy before sooo.....who's next? lol
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

It can be worded in whichever way they want, that's blackmail and seriously low and dirty... Way to ruin their great reputation with this.

That kind of practice can't stop piracy either, it's the equivalent of fighting drug crimes by going after the pot smokers. There's too many of them and the crime is usually considered so petty that the authorities don't even bother with it.

Would have expected classier behavior from CD projekt.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#34 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

The other question is what evidence do they present when sending out these letters? If someone sent me a random letter, from another country I might add, demanding money for something like this I would laugh.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Baranga

It can be worded in whichever way they want, that's blackmail and seriously low and dirty... Way to ruin their great reputation with this.

That kind of practice can't stop piracy either, it's the equivalent of fighting drug crimes by going after the pot smokers. There's too many of them and the crime is usually considered so petty that the authorities don't even bother with it.

Cenerune

They got away with it in 2008 when they did the same thing in the UK. I'm surprised their reputation is still so high after they ported Saints Row 2 to PC and broke the publishing contract with Namco...

The other question is what evidence do they present when sending out these letters? If someone sent me a random letter demanding money for something like this I would laugh. biggest_loser

It's a big coloured letter written in legalese bundled with tens of pages of bollocks. Soccer moms are definitely impressed by the combination of technology and threats and would rather pay and make it all go away than question it.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="Cenerune"]

Baranga

They got away with it in 2008 when they did the same thing in the UK. I'm surprised their reputation is still so high after they ported Saints Row 2 to PC and broke the publishing contract with Namco...

The other question is what evidence do they present when sending out these letters? If someone sent me a random letter demanding money for something like this I would laugh. biggest_loser

It's a big coloured letter written in legalese bundled with tens of pages of bollocks. Soccer moms are definitely impressed by the combination of technology and threats and would rather pay and make it all go away than question it.

I don't think it was CD Projekt Red that ported SR2, I think it was another studio under the CDP umbrella, could be wrong though. In any case, CDP wanted to fix it but THQ would not provide any additional funding.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
It's not a bad idea, if it actually works. What you have a reason to be worried or something?
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

[QUOTE="dangamit"][QUOTE="Baranga"]

Mr_Ditters

How is it not stealing? If its not stealing then whats wrong with it?

It is stealing. Stealing (verb): to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice. BUT, BUTT, BUT Piracy is stealing in a market share sense not physically stealing something as you DO NOT remove the original item from the owner, the removal of the original item is a critical part of theft. This is what makes piracy such a powerful mode of "theft".
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

i bought 2 copies

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#40 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Wouldn't it cost a fair bit of money to pursue this kind of thing? I feel like they are doing this to prove a point more than actually regain losses.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Guys, the MPAA and the RIAA pull off this same crap, the only difference being that they ask for hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of a few hundred euros. I can't believe anyone would condone this stuff. This is outright immoral (yes, even more immoral than pirating a video game) and equates to extortion by CD Projeckt.

If all of this stuff turns out to be true, I will no longer buy any of their games. Sure, Ubisoft made many enemies with their draconian DRM measures, but at least they aren't out there, suing people left and right just because their IP address was linked to a torrent.

Hopefully, it was the misguided management that made the decision, and not the developers, but I am certain the developers had some say in this.

Yes, piracy is bad, but this is not how you fight it.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
None of this would hold up in court. The point is moot.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

i bought 2 copies

TerrorRizzing
I giggled uncontrollably, in a bad way.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ShimmerMan

I think they're salty because they didn't win RPG GOTY.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
I don't see why there is such a hue and cry, Its only occurring in Germany anyway.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

i bought 2 copies

Zubinen
I giggled uncontrollably, in a bad way.

lol i did, bought it dd, but then had to have the retail version.
EvOlVE_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EvOlVE_3
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

How is this bad or immoral? You pigs that pirate games should be held accountable for what you have done, end of story. You torrent you get caught you get fined. I torrent files but never games and if i do ever get caught ill take it to the chin becuase i know what i have done is wrong.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

How is this bad or immoral? You pigs that pirate games should be held accountable for what you have done, end of story. You torrent you get caught you get fined. I torrent files but never games and if i do ever get caught ill take it to the chin becuase i know what i have done is wrong.

EvOlVE_3

Good luck to you when the RIAA sues you for an extortionate amount of money that is beyond the monetary value of the damages caused by your purported piracy.

There are better ways to deal with piracy than alienating customers. Even if this is only happening in Germany, I cannot condone such behavior, even if they are an awesome developer. And yes, I did buy the The Witcher 2 - twice.

KleptoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KleptoZ
Member since 2004 • 155 Posts

EvOlVE_3

I just don't get how some of you can be so oblivious to the fact that this was:

A. Not a decision made by a court of law. Just because CDP says you pirated something, doesn't make it fact until a judge deems it so.

B. An arbitrary amount of money was set as punishment. Once again, who decided pirating TW2 is going to set you back some $1k? Why isn't it $50? why isn't it $300? It's just a random number someone came up with that has no basis in any legal preecdence.

It's like if you got caught shoplifting from a store, and instead of calling the cops the owner of the store reaches into your wallet and takes whatever cash you have. It's just as wrong as pirating a game in the first place.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
Lame, and now that I know this I can safely say that I no longer respect CD Projekt as I did before today. They can pretty much stuff it when they decide to roll out Witcher 3, I will be passing just as I pass on all ubisoft games among other devs/pubs that use ridiculous tactics like this to stifle the gaming scene.