wireless internal adapter vs. wireless usb adapter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leafs_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 leafs_ducks
Member since 2005 • 2881 Posts

which is better for running my PC wireless?

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
You definitely want the internal adapter. Trust me, I have been using them all my life, they last long and have great signal strength. The usb ones are usually garbage.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Virtually no difference between them.

I go external because i need the space inside my case for GPUs. All that matters is the quality of the hardware. Make sure what you get supports, 802.11n

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

There is little difference between them, on my computer I have a usb dongle connected to a 2 foot usb cable. My wife's machine has an internal pci card.

leafs_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 leafs_ducks
Member since 2005 • 2881 Posts

thanx for the lessons learnt.

hmm i went with this adapter, since it had one of the highest ratings on newegg lolz.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320048

thoughts?

Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serial-No_3404
Member since 2007 • 2876 Posts
I bought these when it was a shellshocker for $8...absolutely no complaints and it allows me to move the antennae around to get the best signal possible. I just have the antennae directly on the rear of the tower cause the signal strength is great.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

thanx for the lessons learnt.

hmm i went with this adapter, since it had one of the highest ratings on newegg lolz.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320048

thoughts?

leafs_ducks
That one looks good, I have a similar one that looks just like it.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Internal, no question. USB ones have to use a messy driver trick to work. Of course wired and powerline is better than both, unless you need the mobility I wouldn't touch wireless.
theking52_TDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theking52_TDK
Member since 2008 • 943 Posts

Wireless is very useful. Our internet / modem sits in the living room where the weakest PC is (intel celeron). I have a desktop in my room, my 2 brothers have their on PCs as well so you cant sell wireless short as I'm sure many people have several computers in different places in the house. Having said that, I use internal ... asus something. Has 2 antennaes and signal strength is great.

morgofborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 morgofborg
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts

Another + for the Asus pci one. I have been using the same one on two different builds and the signal strength is great.

VeNoM_JaCKaL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 VeNoM_JaCKaL
Member since 2011 • 82 Posts

I go external because i need the space inside my case for GPUs. All that matters is the quality of the hardware. Make sure what you get supports, 802.11n

Blue-Sky

I would have to agree "expansion slots are like gold dust" ;D currently use ****** Double N+ Dual Band USB Wireless Adapter on my HTPC no complaints atm.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Blue-Sky
If he has devices accessing the router that only support 802.11g then he wont receive 802.11n speeds. Im not sure about range though.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 markop2003

Wireless is very useful. Our internet / modem sits in the living room where the weakest PC is (intel celeron). I have a desktop in my room, my 2 brothers have their on PCs as well so you cant sell wireless short as I'm sure many people have several computers in different places in the house. Having said that, I use internal ... asus something. Has 2 antennaes and signal strength is great.

theking52_TDK
... You know cables can go between rooms right? Also powerline negates the need to lay any new cables.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="theking52_TDK"]

markop2003

... You know cables can go between rooms right? Also powerline negates the need to lay any new cables.

You know some people don't want wires right?

Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts
I use a ****** USB wireless, and it is pure garbage. I don't know if it depends on the brand or not, but do not go with ******.
davaniius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 davaniius
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts

I have both dlink n adapters and the usb dongle performed better for me.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="theking52_TDK"]

GummiRaccoon

Why? Just wire your house with cat cables, and you are 1337.

OFC not everyone is 1337 as me, but okay.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markop2003

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="theking52_TDK"]

GummiRaccoon

I think you'ld have difficulty running a PC without any wires at all...
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="markop2003"] ... You know cables can go between rooms right? Also powerline negates the need to lay any new cables.markop2003

I've been to people's houses who have basically just the power cord, and the cord to the monitor and that is it. Wireless headphones, keyboard, mouse, network.

I have like 34,000 wires because they don't bother me, but I am not so arrogant to think that what doesn't bother me should also not bother anyone else.

theking52_TDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theking52_TDK

I'm not exactly a fan of cables going all over my house from the living room. We all have wireless connections for internet on each computer except for the one which directly connected to the modem. I haven't noticed any speed sacrifice, not much anyway.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JigglyWiggly_

I'm not exactly a fan of cables going all over my house from the living room. We all have wireless connections for internet on each computer except for the one which directly connected to the modem. I haven't noticed any speed sacrifice, not much anyway.

theking52_TDK

I mean tear down the walls and wire up cables((or go through the A/C vents)). Speed sacrifices probably won't come via the Internet, but slow LAN transfers and some ping spikes every now and then are to be expected.

Alternatively you could go powerline/ethernet over coax which I prefer over powerline.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-MCAB1001-Coax-Ethernet-Adapter-Black/dp/B001N85NMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313007740&sr=8-1

theking52_TDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theking52_TDK

Ah that's what you meant sorry. Well even then we'd have to make another hole in my room. So fine, even then I'll have direct connection in my room but then everyone else would be stuck with wireless no?

Anyway, as for LAN... hasn't been a problem so far. I'm able to stream 720p videos from PC to bluray player wirelessly just fine. 1080p gives a problem yeah, but then I just use USB for that. That was before I got my current PC, now I just prefer watching everything on my monitor with my speaker setup since thanks to the soundcard, it just sounds superbly phenominal.

Other than the videos (which I dont bother with anymore) there wasn't much else going on the network side of things and still isn't.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 markop2003

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I've been to people's houses who have basically just the power cord, and the cord to the monitor and that is it. Wireless headphones, keyboard, mouse, network.

I have like 34,000 wires because they don't bother me, but I am not so arrogant to think that what doesn't bother me should also not bother anyone else.

Powerline just results in one extra cable... that's it. Considering all the reliability, security, speed nad latency benefits it really dosn't make sense to go with wireless when you have the option of wired.
theking52_TDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theking52_TDK

So far haven't had any issues with it being wireless, so ... if it ain't broke dont fix it : )

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="markop2003"] I think you'ld have difficulty running a PC without any wires at all...markop2003

Powerline just results in one extra cable... that's it. Considering all the reliability, security, speed nad latency benefits it really dosn't make sense to go with wireless when you have the option of wired.

How about when you share internet with something that is behind a different power meter?

Or a laptop or kindle or a printer or a tablet or an ipod or your smart phone while you're home?

I think we have 25 or so devices on our router, about 15 of them are wireless, and I helped pull the line for all the cat6.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 markop2003

Or a laptop or kindle or a printer or a tablet or an ipod or your smart phone while you're home?

GummiRaccoon

unless you need the mobility I wouldn't touch wireless.markop2003
;)

How about when you share internet with something that is behind a different power meter?

GummiRaccoon

Power meter? Don't you mean circuit? They work perfectly fine between different circuits.

If you mean running between different houses along the public mains then yes you may have issues.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JigglyWiggly_
He said different power meters because he has weed farms in his house.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="markop2003"]unless you need the mobility I wouldn't touch wireless.markop2003

;)

Or printers

GummiRaccoon

Power meter? Don't you mean circuit? They work perfectly fine between different circuits.

If you mean running between different houses along the public mains then yes you may have issues.

Sometimes people share with neighbors, intentionally even.