Windows failed to start. 0xc0000428

This topic is locked from further discussion.

columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

Okay...I was feeling a bit cocky with my new build because it seemed to be going quite well (except for not recognizing my video card).I installed Vista and it worked fine so I then put in all the little CDs that came with the rest of the stuff -

Gigabyte MoBo GA-P35-DS3L

eVGA 8800 GTS 512mb KO - again, it was showing up with the standard VGA so I'm guessing it didn't register this card but hadn't gotten around to why not. Since I'm having an ethernet connection run into the room with this computer, I don't have internet access there just yet but I did go on this computer and download the driver for the graphics card, even though I didn't get a chance to install it before the system crashed.

Creative X-Fi Audio

Logitech diNovo Keyboard

Dell 2408WFP

All was still going along great so, after awhile, I added my graphics tablet software (from previous computer) with Corel Art Dabbler. Still fine. Tried to add Gravis joystick but it wouldn't take it because software version too old. Fine. Then I decided to add a little game I have called City Life. The computer said to restart to affect all changes. Since I'm new to Vista, I thought the restart option was with the turning off option, like XP. Guess not as it just turned the computer completely off. I thought no big deal, I'll just turn it back on and this is what I got:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem.

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File:\Windows\System32\drivers\sfsync04.sys

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

I Googled this and found a forum with this thread over a year ago. Some people could get the Windows disc to start and had the repair option. I cannot. Neither of my two DVD drives are responding and my keyboard responds only slightly at the Gigabyte startup for Tabbing and F12, etc. Unfortunately after making those choices, the keyboard quits responding all together. No up or down keys nor does the touchpad work. Some on the forum could fix it with Clearing the CMOS. Someone else said they had to replace the motherboard.

Has anyone else had this happen? I am devastated because I know so little about this aspect of the computer and don't feel as though I can make an adequate decision about what is happening. I even Googled sfsync04.sys but that doesn't tell me anything. So I'm sitting here with a big beautiful 24" Dell that's sitting with a black screen and really large lettering telling me I'm screwed. HELP!!!!

Avatar image for solfegietomauro
solfegietomauro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 solfegietomauro
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

sfsync04.sys is an starforce 4 game protection driver that some game installed in your sistem when you played it.

The solution is to boot with other OS (It could be ubuntu live cd or windows xp if you have it installed) and delete the file sfsync04.sys from windows/drivers/ folder.

The computer should boot now.

Avatar image for solfegietomauro
solfegietomauro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 solfegietomauro

Ok, i tried that and it didnt worked.

You have to press f8 on start until a menu is showed up. Select "Disable Enforcing driver signature" or something and windows will start.

Then download the starforce driver updater http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip and run it. Then restart computer and thats it.

danotino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4 danotino

Ok, i tried that and it didnt worked.

You have to press f8 on start until a menu is showed up. Select "Disable Enforcing driver signature" or something and windows will start.

Then download the starforce driver updater http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip and run it. Then restart computer and thats it.

solfegietomauro
Thank you so much!! This works for me!