Windows 7 $30 Upgrade....should I do it???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JJS29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JJS29
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts

Ok, so I have my ASUS G50VT-X5 that I've had for less than a year and its running on Vista Home Premium right now. I've personally had zero problems with Vista and like it a lot!

But here's the deal.......

I was browsing bargainjack.com and found a deal from M$ that if you have a .edu email from your school, you can get an Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $30!! I entered my school email and got an email saying I do in fact qualify for the upgrade.

So what should I do? Will I lose anything by updating to Windows 7, or will it be just like a Windows update more or less? I just don't want to have to wipe my computer and start over again.

Right now I'm leaning towards yes because of all the great things I've been hearing about Windows 7, but I want to be sure.

Thanks everyone. Oh and here's the link if anyone else is interested:

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage?resid=iRomYAoBAkcAABWuNlIAAABM&rests=1254872263563

JJS29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JJS29
Oh and looking at this closer, I can get it on a disk for $13 more dollars. Is that worth it? Or could I just save the downloaded files to my external hard drive for later?
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
The download is most likely an ISO which you usually would burn to a disk. I suppose an upgrade might be able to run from the hard drive. But I would suggest doing a clean install of windows 7 and keep your current vista install. For $30, I would for sure. As for disk or not, can't really say, would also depend on if you can re-download it and for how long.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

jsut get it, if u dont and pass it up, down the trak it'll cost more.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
$30 for a full-blown OS....why not? Can't really get much better unless you want to run some Linux ;)
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

$30 for a full-blown OS....why not? Can't really get much better unless you want to run some Linux ;)cell_dweller
Or Freebsd :D I love Mr.Daemon :D

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I bought it for $36, but I'm going to wait for until December to install it.
Lyron-Baktos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lyron-Baktos
Member since 2008 • 334 Posts

But here's the deal.......

I was browsing bargainjack.com and found a deal from M$ that if you have a .edu email from your school, you can get an Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $30!! I entered my school email and got an email saying I do in fact qualify for the upgrade.

JJS29

I already put my order in through that offer, for $30 why not. I did the Windows 7 Pro instead of the Home premium though since Pro or Home premium are both $30 in that offer, too bad they don't offer Ulitimate for $30 though.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
Student discount has to be one of the greatest things ever coming from Microsoft.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So i've been trying to figure out, does this "upgrade" mean that you have to have vista installed first, or will it do a clean install?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Student discount has to be one of the greatest things ever coming from Microsoft. k0r3aN_pR1d3
Dreamspark is better :P
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

So i've been trying to figure out, does this "upgrade" mean that you have to have vista installed first, or will it do a clean install?

lostrib
u can do a clean install
JJS29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JJS29
Student discount has to be one of the greatest things ever coming from Microsoft. k0r3aN_pR1d3
What else do they have? Do they have a whole student discount page?? I wouldn't mind a few more deals like this!
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib

[QUOTE="k0r3aN_pR1d3"]Student discount has to be one of the greatest things ever coming from Microsoft. JJS29
What else do they have? Do they have a whole student discount page?? I wouldn't mind a few more deals like this!

Yeah they have something called the ultimate steal which is the office suite download for like 60 dollars http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

lostrib
I think it just means you need a previous qualifying windows disk, at least if you do a clean install. It also means your previous windows license(the one you are upgrading) is no longer valid, although there is no enforcement of that as far as i know.
chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

by the way, what happens if you graduate or drop out of school and lose that .edu email account? can you still install properly ? or MS is going to check everyday to see that your email is still valid and you gain access to install Windows 7?

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mike4realz

by the way, what happens if you graduate or drop out of school and lose that .edu email account? can you still install properly ? or MS is going to check everyday to see that your email is still valid and you gain access to install Windows 7?

chapman86
once u bought it, it's yours to keep forever but u won't be able to get future student discount unless u go back to school
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]$30 for a full-blown OS....why not? Can't really get much better unless you want to run some Linux ;)JigglyWiggly_

I've never actually installed it...but I know a few people who have it.
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts
Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Swiftstrike5

Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.boostud
NICE! Now I don't have to install XP->Vista->Win7 just to avoid calling them =)

Is there anyway to change my order from Home to Pro? I already ordered Home because I couldn't figure out how to get pro.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 boostud

[QUOTE="boostud"]Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.Swiftstrike5

Is there anyway to change my order from Home to Pro? I already ordered Home because I couldn't figure out how to get pro.

That I dont know....you maybe have to put a call in. Where? Not sure, lol. Here's the link to backup my previous post. http://m.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=187181&t=1562761
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib

[QUOTE="boostud"]Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.Swiftstrike5

For the pro, After you given them your email and they send you a link, go to the site. And i believe there is a join domain link on the page which allows you to get where you need to go to order pro.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]$30 for a full-blown OS....why not? Can't really get much better unless you want to run some Linux ;)cell_dweller

I've never actually installed it...but I know a few people who have it.

It's an extremely powerful operating system, but very few use it as a desktop. I use it on a few vms and my router uses freebsd (pfsense). Though the average freebsd user often knows much more about Linux than a Linux user. Freebsd has very very little user friendlyness.
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 boostud
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.boostud

Yea, it has a link below 'add to cart' or 'order now' ...it says' 'Need to join your school's domain? click here to get Pro'.

For the pro, After you given them your email and they send you a link, go to the site. And i believe there is a join domain link on the page which allows you to get where you need to go to order pro.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Swiftstrike5
[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

[QUOTE="boostud"]Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.boostud

That I dont know....you maybe have to put a call in. Where? Not sure, lol. Here's the link to backup my previous post. http://m.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=187181&t=1562761

Ok, thanks.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Swiftstrike5

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

[QUOTE="boostud"]Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.lostrib

I'll probably just send them an email and see if they can change my order.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mike4realz
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"] NICE! Now I don't have to install XP->Vista->Win7 just to avoid calling them =)

Swiftstrike5

u can cancel ur order and order the pro
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

Oh now there is just a link to pro right on the Home premium order page

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Swiftstrike5

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

mike4realz

u can cancel ur order and order the pro

Yeah, that's what I was going to do if they said they couldn't change my order.

Thanks, though

Penguin_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Penguin_dragon
Member since 2005 • 1516 Posts

I actually don't think it would be necessary.

I've had Windows 7 for a couple of months now and its not that much of a difference from Vista at all.

Certainly, in my opinion, not enough to warrant a purchase when you already have a working OS.

Also, the deal is for just an upgrade edition which means that if something horrible where to happen that would require you to re-install Windows, you won't be able to off of an upgrade disk.

Perhaps if you install a previous OS first AND THEN the Windows 7 upgrade you might be able to; but I'm fairly certain that there would be no hassle free way of just re-installing your OS with an Upgrade Edition of an OS. And to me, the last thing I want to experience when my computer goes AWOL is hassle.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mike4realz

Certainly, in my opinion, not enough to warrant a purchase when you already have a working OS.

Penguin_dragon

it's $30 bucks?!!

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Swiftstrike5

I actually don't think it would be necessary.

I've had Windows 7 for a couple of months now and its not that much of a difference from Vista at all.

Also, the deal is for just an upgrade edition which means that if something horrible where to happen that would require you to re-install Windows, you won't be able to off of an upgrade disk.

Perhaps if you install a previous OS first AND THEN the Windows 7 upgrade you might be able to; but I'm fairly certain that there would be no hassle free way of just re-installing your OS with an Upgrade Edition of an OS. And to me, the last thing I want to experience when my computer goes AWOL is hassle.

Penguin_dragon
[QUOTE="boostud"]Just an FYI for you guys, this isn't actually the upgrade version, it is confirmed to be the FULL edition. They are just saying 'hey, UPGRADE to windows 7'. I found this deal a while back on slickdeals.net or whatever....there is a topic going on it. They contacted MS and it is verified to be the FULL OS. So yea, excellent deal. You can also choose if you want home or Pro when you go to buy it....so whichever, only $30. Heck of a deal.

In case you missed it.
Penguin_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Penguin_dragon
Member since 2005 • 1516 Posts

In case you missed it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything.

This is a downloadable version of the product in question.

"Upgrade" is clearly stated on the product name and on the box.

Though the Microsoft representatives might say it's the full version, the download is for an upgrade version and that is exactly what's going to be downloaded when the product becomes available.