Will upgrading from Hd4850 to Gtx460 make much differnce?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts
Hi guys! I am Sam and was wondering whether it will be much of significant upgrade if I replace my existing hd4850 with a gtx 460? I am using a nvidia 750a sli mobo(lol) and play all genres of game in general.Besides I am using Cooler master extreme power duo 600w.Do I need to change the psu to get a gtx 460 running well?Pls. advice Thanx in advance to any replier.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
[QUOTE="Serioussamik"]Hi guys! I am Sam and was wondering whether it will be much of significant upgrade if I replace my existing hd4850 with a gtx 460? I am using a nvidia 750a sli mobo(lol) and play all genres of game in general.Besides I am using Cooler master extreme power duo 600w.Do I need to change the psu to get a gtx 460 running well?Pls. advice Thanx in advance to any replier.

I too use a 4850 512mb version but at my resolution (1280 x 1024) it is a solid performer for the time being. Now, when I get my new monitor (either 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200) I'd like to also upgrade to the GTX460. I say go for it. For the money the GTX460 is the best. Your 600 watt PSU will be fine.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I would personally wait until atleast one more series of GPU is released before upgrading from a 4850. It's still a great contender and I feel you would be disapointed in the difference between the two.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

the 4850 is still a great card. dont upgrade unless u sell the old one at the same time. my house mate needed a graphics card, so i offered her my 6 month old 4850 for $100Au. this let her get a great deal (at the time $100 would only get u a 5450's and 5550's...). this techinically let me pay for a 5770 OC edition only $115au because they retailed for $215AU. all i did was pay teh difference from the sale of my card. If ur favourite gaems are dead space and Fear 2 then i wouldnt upgrade, but if u love playing monster PC games like Metro 2033 and Crysis EVERYDAY, then the upgrade is worth it as the GTX460, especially when OC'd is an AWESOME card.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I would personally wait until atleast one more series of GPU is released before upgrading from a 4850. It's still a great contender and I feel you would be disapointed in the difference between the two.General_X

Yeah agree with this.

Wait till 2nd gen dx11 cards.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts
[QUOTE="Serioussamik"]Hi guys! I am Sam and was wondering whether it will be much of significant upgrade if I replace my existing hd4850 with a gtx 460? I am using a nvidia 750a sli mobo(lol) and play all genres of game in general.Besides I am using Cooler master extreme power duo 600w.Do I need to change the psu to get a gtx 460 running well?Pls. advice Thanx in advance to any replier.

1) Are you having problems playing your current games? 2) What resolution do you play on? If you're answers to #1 is No - then there really isn't much reason to upgrade, but if it's a personal preference thing, you can go for it. Now, if your answer to #2 is a resolution of 1440 x 900 or lower, then there is no reason to upgrade. The HD 4850 will perform just fine for you and will handle most games out there without a problem. In the end it comes down to personal preference. If you feel you absolutely must by a new GTX 460 (which would be roughly 1.75x the performance of your current card - think of the GTX 460 running about on par with two HD 4770 or maybe even two HD 4830s in Crossfire) then go for it. And as others have said, your current PSU would work just fine with a GTX 460.
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

i have the same kind of card (look at my sig) i can max out crysis and mretoo 2033 with no problem.

i want to upgrade my card too. but if i were you wait for the next line of cards. or save a bit more and get a GTX 480 or 470

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts
[QUOTE="neatfeatguy"][QUOTE="Serioussamik"]Hi guys! I am Sam and was wondering whether it will be much of significant upgrade if I replace my existing hd4850 with a gtx 460? I am using a nvidia 750a sli mobo(lol) and play all genres of game in general.Besides I am using Cooler master extreme power duo 600w.Do I need to change the psu to get a gtx 460 running well?Pls. advice Thanx in advance to any replier.

1) Are you having problems playing your current games? 2) What resolution do you play on? If you're answers to #1 is No - then there really isn't much reason to upgrade, but if it's a personal preference thing, you can go for it. Now, if your answer to #2 is a resolution of 1440 x 900 or lower, then there is no reason to upgrade. The HD 4850 will perform just fine for you and will handle most games out there without a problem. In the end it comes down to personal preference. If you feel you absolutely must by a new GTX 460 (which would be roughly 1.75x the performance of your current card - think of the GTX 460 running about on par with two HD 4770 or maybe even two HD 4830s in Crossfire) then go for it. And as others have said, your current PSU would work just fine with a GTX 460.

Im playing at 1680*1050, and it have no trouble playing any game recently released jus fine. The HD4850 is still a solid performer, i was into getting me a gtx460 but im glad i didn't as new series GPU's are soon to arrive, i guess it's a matter on how long one can do with the things you got, i think the HD4850 still have some life in it.
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serioussamik
1)Nope,other than Gta IV and Crysis(which are usual troublemakers,ain't they?),there are no problems. 2)I generally play at 1280*1024. I was wondering about the future-proof nature of the hd4850.Will the upcoming games(say within a year) run fine on it?
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 swehunt
[QUOTE="Serioussamik"]1)Nope,other than Gta IV and Crysis(which are usual troublemakers,ain't they?),there are no problems. 2)I generally play at 1280*1024. I was wondering about the future-proof nature of the hd4850.Will the upcoming games(say within a year) run fine on it?

Impossible to know, but if you brougth a HD5770 or gtx460 noone know if they play next year "fine" either. How do you mean you have trouble with HD4850 on crysis @ 1280*1024? It should run just fine, even most things to Very high, to me playing a really tough game as crysis almost on the highest setting (not including AA) possible is more than fine, it's great. :) GTA IV just plays fine for me.
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serioussamik
[QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="Serioussamik"]1)Nope,other than Gta IV and Crysis(which are usual troublemakers,ain't they?),there are no problems. 2)I generally play at 1280*1024. I was wondering about the future-proof nature of the hd4850.Will the upcoming games(say within a year) run fine on it?

Impossible to know, but if you brougth a HD5770 or gtx460 noone know if they play next year "fine" either. How do you mean you have trouble with HD4850 on crysis @ 1280*1024? It should run just fine, even most things to Very high, to me playing a really tough game as crysis almost on the highest setting (not including AA) possible is more than fine, it's great. :) GTA IV just plays fine for me.

Yeah Crysis runs fine for me in High/Very High settings too except in some cases when too much is happening on screen.Especially in the stage where you have to pass the coordinates for an air-raid.There it lags heavily. And in Gta IV I find the shadows blurry and some odd road textures at some places.And while rainfalls,the framerate stutters a bit. BTW,what framerate do you gate in Gta IV in the benchmark test?I am getting around 31-33(texture detail medium,DrawDist.-27,and everything else at high).Is it fine?
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serioussamik
To all guys who have replied-you have really been very very helpful indeed! I am still a newbie member in GS forums and am really thankful for your response!!
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Right now it really depends on the Res you play at. There isn't a huge gain due to the fact you play at such as low res.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 swehunt
[QUOTE="Serioussamik"][QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="Serioussamik"]1)Nope,other than Gta IV and Crysis(which are usual troublemakers,ain't they?),there are no problems. 2)I generally play at 1280*1024. I was wondering about the future-proof nature of the hd4850.Will the upcoming games(say within a year) run fine on it?

Yeah Crysis runs fine for me in High/Very High settings too except in some cases when too much is happening on screen.Especially in the stage where you have to pass the coordinates for an air-raid.There it lags heavily. And in Gta IV I find the shadows blurry and some odd road textures at some places.And while rainfalls,the framerate stutters a bit. BTW,what framerate do you gate in Gta IV in the benchmark test?I am getting around 31-33(texture detail medium,DrawDist.-27,and everything else at high).Is it fine?

That seems a bit low to be honest. I average 45,56fps in the same settings as you do with no OC on the graphics. :? (Medium texture, else on high, draw distance 27, the rest of the sliders on max. 1280*1024, with that resolution it looks shabby, im using a 1680*1050 screen.) May have something about the CPU you use, what CPU do you got? GTA IV make use of a quad, in the benchmark log it'll say how much the game tax you CPU is it above 85% that may be where the "bottle" sit's in that particular game.
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serioussamik
[QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="Serioussamik"][QUOTE="swehunt"] Impossible to know, but if you brougth a HD5770 or gtx460 noone know if they play next year "fine" either. How do you mean you have trouble with HD4850 on crysis @ 1280*1024? It should run just fine, even most things to Very high, to me playing a really tough game as crysis almost on the highest setting (not including AA) possible is more than fine, it's great. :) GTA IV just plays fine for me.

That seems a bit low to be honest. I average 45,56fps in the same settings as you do with no OC on the graphics. :? (Medium texture, else on high, draw distance 27, the rest of the sliders on max. 1280*1024, with that resolution it looks shabby, im using a 1680*1050 screen.) May have something about the CPU you use, what CPU do you got? GTA IV make use of a quad, in the benchmark log it'll say how much the game tax you CPU is it above 85% that may be where the "bottle" sit's in that particular game.

Yes Swehunt ,you have got it right.I have a Amd 7850.So is it the CPU who's the bottleneck in this game? My specs: Os-Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit Cpu-Amd X2 7850 Mobo-Xfx 750a sli with 95W processor max support.(shame) Ram-2 gb ddr2 800 mhz. Gpu -Hd 4850 Hdd-Seagate Barracuda 160 gb Psu-Cooler master extreme power duo 600w(about 75% efficiency) Kindly do suggest upgrades as you deem fit.
ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

Oof, a dual core for GTAIV? Yeah, that's definitely a bottleneck right there.

If it's a max TDP of 95w, you could go and check if XFX has new firmware updates for your motherboard. If it does, chances are you could plug in a Phenom II x4 945 in there, or even the new revision of the X6 1055t if you're lucky. GTAIV loves more cores.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

yeah id wait for the next line of dx11 cards with the hd 6770 projected to clash head on with the gtx 465 we will see alot of dust kicked up vs the current ati and nvidia offerings. the gtx 460 may have some staying power due to its price but at the end of the day the southern islands mid range will more or less match its stock preformance fairly well. essentially the nvidia refresh is going to need to completely reinvent their low end if they want to do anything with it anymore, their upper end needs a huge facelift and their mid range has alot of potential that i feel isnt beeing explored enough in the reference cards., which could potentially be used to save their high end.

i can see why galaxy tossed away their gtx 470x2 saber, zotac is making another g92 dual card, and why the mars II has been delayed by ALOT. they just wouldnt move units as productively as the rest of the lineup's already out there which arent exactly working miracles themselves.

the graphics card market is an ongoing war of attrition and the winner is the person who can take the worst beatings and keep on ticking. and amd clearly has the resources to firmly weather and blow nvidia can deal.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 swehunt
[QUOTE="Serioussamik"][QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="Serioussamik"] Yeah Crysis runs fine for me in High/Very High settings too except in some cases when too much is happening on screen.Especially in the stage where you have to pass the coordinates for an air-raid.There it lags heavily. And in Gta IV I find the shadows blurry and some odd road textures at some places.And while rainfalls,the framerate stutters a bit. BTW,what framerate do you gate in Gta IV in the benchmark test?I am getting around 31-33(texture detail medium,DrawDist.-27,and everything else at high).Is it fine?

Yes Swehunt ,you have got it right.I have a Amd 7850.So is it the CPU who's the bottleneck in this game? My specs: Os-Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit Cpu-Amd X2 7850 Mobo-Xfx 750a sli with 95W processor max support.(shame) Ram-2 gb ddr2 800 mhz. Gpu -Hd 4850 Hdd-Seagate Barracuda 160 gb Psu-Cooler master extreme power duo 600w(about 75% efficiency) Kindly do suggest upgrades as you deem fit.

That CPU to start with, as ravenguard90 said, perhaps possible to slot in a new AM2+/AM3 CPU, a phenom II X4 / Athlon II X4 with decent clocks. Athlon II X4 640 (3Ghz quad) is only 95w and should most likely with a new bios fit onto your motherboard, it's only about $100 @ newegg. Windows 7 ultimate was only released in 64bit to my knowlage? If you have the DVD you can install the 64bit version, it will in some programs witch use 64bit intstruction give a increased performance over the x86/32bit. With a HDD running full it will serious slow down your system since it'll take forever to acsess and write, read files on it, pair that with only two GB random acsess memory it can make the system sluggish and inresponcive. Just a Q, what's up with the 160GB drive, that is absymal to my preference (very personal opin. tho. :P ) since it'll just fit windows and some vacation photo's off the camera along with a few games, even my third PC (laptop) got 360GB's, 1,6TB is more like it. ;) In your shoes i'd try to expand the CPU to a quadcore before i exchange the HD4850. To me i am very pleased with four cores, it did cut some of the major things i do on my PC with half the time(analysing sound/recode/encode/zip/unzip... ... ..) , for gaming a Dual will often do fine, but with only a diffrence in $10-20 on a AMD CPU today the diffrence between a 3Ghz quad and a 3,2Ghz dual is no competition as the quad is a much better buy.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

i have the same kind of card (look at my sig) i can max out crysis and mretoo 2033 with no problem.

i want to upgrade my card too. but if i were you wait for the next line of cards. or save a bit more and get a GTX 480 or 470

acsam12304
Maxxing out Crysis with a 4850? Hmmm I think your definition of maxing out may differ from a few others here.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

V4LENT1NE

Maxxing out Crysis with a 4850? Hmmm I think your definition of maxing out may differ from a few others here.

Um, maxing out is maxing out. There's no differentiations of the terminology unless he's pulling our legs. However, resolution does play a big factor though. If it's less than 1440x900, he can get away with it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="acsam12304"]

PunishedOne

Um, maxing out is maxing out. There's no differentiations of the terminology unless he's pulling our legs. However, resolution does play a big factor though. If it's less than 1440x900, he can get away with it.

This. Maxed out but at a much lower resolution.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
[QUOTE="PunishedOne"]

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] Maxxing out Crysis with a 4850? Hmmm I think your definition of maxing out may differ from a few others here.Elann2008

This. Maxed out but at a much lower resolution.

Yup. I too maxed out Crysis on the hacked "ultra" setting in DX9 with an HD4850 but at the resolution of 1280 x 1024
lickisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lickisg
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

I do have a 4850 512 with an amd x3 720 @ 3.2ghz now

I play at 1680x1050 and while most of the games i threw in, played wonderfull i still decided to purchase a gtx 460 1gb. It will be arriving next week along with a new cpu cooler to push some juice on my processor for better clocks. The reasons i bhought a gtx 460 are:

-Due to how the currency works in my country, buying the gtx 460 and after i sell my 4850, it would mean that i had only spent 30-40$ on the gtx 460

-Considerably less heat. Right now my 4850 is extremely hot and affects everything around, on heavy games it peaks to 110C and sometimes i gotta blow an outside fan to help with the temp

-Better scaling, room for more perfomance compared to my 4850 and hopefully sli possibility in near future

-I want to max out some games for my resolution comfortably, crysis, Bad company 2, stalker cs, and some upcoming

I think it is worth it considering all those aspecs in mind

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Well maxxing out to me is around at least 1400x900 with full AA Ultra at DX10 with a stable 40+ fps even in combat. Find it hard that a 4850 could do that.
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 swehunt

In many aspects the gtx460 is the true predecessor of HD4850 as it do what the HD4850 did back when it was released.

1. Selling at a attractive price.

2. Beat out the competition in the same pricerange.

3. Good performance for the price when compared to the more costly cards.

4. Selling in a very large number of design's in various clocks and memory and PCB's.

5. Aiming to target people needing a bit more power but don't want to get the highest end cards.

Sure, the gtx460 and HD4850 both did/do that but im not sure the timespawn between them is enough to grant it to be a great purchase.

To my concern i find it like ewryone just jump ahead and recomend the gtx460 just because it's such a great card, to me i'd say the quite slow AMD 7850 x2 and only two GB's may be a bigger problem than the HD4850 as it still play games just fine, most new games it runs max'ed and particular at the 1280*1024 he are currently gaming on.

One of the games he mentioned as a game where he have trouble with is caused by the CPU he is using, the second game witch alo a gtx460 would have trouble running maxed out, seems like even if he DO get a gtx460 he still will be having the exsact same problem in the exsact same games.

Id try to put in a new CPu before thinking of upgrading the HD4850, specially as he is using a very low resolution.

Comon Gamespotters!, where have your judgement gone! ;)

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serioussamik
I purchased a new 500Gb hard-drive and aiming to replace the processor(just getting the basics right as many of you mentioned that the processor is indeed a bottleneck).Oh and I installed a extra couple of gb's of ram before deciding on the GPU.Unfortunately I can't afford a total upgrade,which I desire. But here's a problem I am facing-My motherboard XFX 750a sli seemed to be fairly up to date mobo when i bought in back in June 08.But now in the Xfx website I can't find a thing about the Bios update Swehunt mention to enable Am3 processors in this mobo.I surfed the net but did not find any info about this damn motherboard's bios upgrade for AM3 cpu.If I am stalled with the 7850 it will be sad since Newegg had such an attractive price for the Athlon II X4 620.And besides I got someone willing to buy the 7850 for office work from me too! Any help,guys?
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 swehunt

I purchased a new 500Gb hard-drive and aiming to replace the processor(just getting the basics right as many of you mentioned that the processor is indeed a bottleneck).Oh and I installed a extra couple of gb's of ram before deciding on the GPU.Unfortunately I can't afford a total upgrade,which I desire. But here's a problem I am facing-My motherboard XFX 750a sli seemed to be fairly up to date mobo when i bought in back in June 08.But now in the Xfx website I can't find a thing about the Bios update Swehunt mention to enable Am3 processors in this mobo.I surfed the net but did not find any info about this damn motherboard's bios upgrade for AM3 cpu.If I am stalled with the 7850 it will be sad since Newegg had such an attractive price for the Athlon II X4 620.And besides I got someone willing to buy the 7850 for office work from me too! Any help,guys?Serioussamik
As i am so helpfull :P i'll point you to where to download the latest driver/updates.

Just sign up at the XFX site, download the bios, be carefull to update the Bios under the instructions exsact as they tell you to do, you don't want anything to go wrong, just folow the guide-thru and you should be fine.

HERE @ XFX

Some new info has been leaked about AMD's new gpu's arriving november :

By the looks of it, the first HD6xxx cards out will be the AMD Barts GPU, that is intended to replace the HD57xx, the GPU suppose to be pin compatible with the Cypress (the HD58xx cards) so if you can hold out and wait to late October erly November you migth end up with a HD67xx with HD58xx performance with tweaked power draw and more energy efficient at a better price than your dishing out for a gtx460 currently.

Try to do the best with what you've got untill november that is my best recomendation, i agree the gtx460 is promicing rigth now but atleast wait to november. :)

The Bart may very well be the AMD responce to the gtx460.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serioussamik

[QUOTE="Serioussamik"]I purchased a new 500Gb hard-drive and aiming to replace the processor(just getting the basics right as many of you mentioned that the processor is indeed a bottleneck).Oh and I installed a extra couple of gb's of ram before deciding on the GPU.Unfortunately I can't afford a total upgrade,which I desire. But here's a problem I am facing-My motherboard XFX 750a sli seemed to be fairly up to date mobo when i bought in back in June 08.But now in the Xfx website I can't find a thing about the Bios update Swehunt mention to enable Am3 processors in this mobo.I surfed the net but did not find any info about this damn motherboard's bios upgrade for AM3 cpu.If I am stalled with the 7850 it will be sad since Newegg had such an attractive price for the Athlon II X4 620.And besides I got someone willing to buy the 7850 for office work from me too! Any help,guys?swehunt

As i am so helpfull :P i'll point you to where to download the latest driver/updates.

Just sign up at the XFX site, download the bios, be carefull to update the Bios under the instructions exsact as they tell you to do, you don't want anything to go wrong, just folow the guide-thru and you should be fine.

HERE @ XFX

By the looks of it, the first HD6xxx cards out will be the AMD Barts GPU, that is intended to replace the HD57xx, the GPU suppose to be pin compatible with the Cypress (the HD58xx cards) so if you can hold out and wait to late October erly November you migth end up with a HD67xx with HD58xx performance with tweaked power draw and more energy efficient at a better price than your dishing out for a gtx460 currently.

Try to do the best with what you've got untill november that is my best recomendation, i agree the gtx460 is promicing rigth now but atleast wait to november. :)

Swehunt,you are indeed helpful pal.And thanx for the info regarding the Barts GPU's.

I have an account with Xfx support and read about the bios version.But I am not sure that this particular mobo-XFX sli 750a sli will accept AM3 cpu's even with a Bios update as XFx is not officialy declaring that their board is capable of supporting AM3 cpus.:?

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 swehunt

[QUOTE="swehunt"]

[QUOTE="Serioussamik"]I purchased a new 500Gb hard-drive and aiming to replace the processor(just getting the basics right as many of you mentioned that the processor is indeed a bottleneck).Oh and I installed a extra couple of gb's of ram before deciding on the GPU.Unfortunately I can't afford a total upgrade,which I desire. But here's a problem I am facing-My motherboard XFX 750a sli seemed to be fairly up to date mobo when i bought in back in June 08.But now in the Xfx website I can't find a thing about the Bios update Swehunt mention to enable Am3 processors in this mobo.I surfed the net but did not find any info about this damn motherboard's bios upgrade for AM3 cpu.If I am stalled with the 7850 it will be sad since Newegg had such an attractive price for the Athlon II X4 620.And besides I got someone willing to buy the 7850 for office work from me too! Any help,guys?Serioussamik

HERE @ XFX

Swehunt,you are indeed helpful pal.And thanx for the info regarding the Barts GPU's.

I have an account with Xfx support and read about the bios version.But I am not sure that this particular mobo-XFX sli 750a sli will accept AM3 cpu's even with a Bios update as XFx is not officialy declaring that their board is capable of supporting AM3 cpus.:?

How odd it may sound it seem's like someone even put a 125w Ph II x4 in it and to his word it works. :) "actually i`m already buy this XFX mobo and join it with phenom II 920.. This is my spec XFX 750a SLI AMD Phenom II 920 2.8 ASUS 9800 GT Cossair Gaming Series 800 DDR2 4G Hard Disc Seagate 32mb 500G PSU Cooler Master 500W" Im most positive XFX are up to date with new bios for their older motherboards, that board suppose to be a AM2+ and that should qualify it for most 95w Athlon II/phenom II CPU's with a up to date Bios. The best awnser you can get is from the support from XFX, just type a message and wait for their responce, im most positive it'll work with the Athl/phenom below 95w.