Will old school always get low GS score from now on?!

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kokonut1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 kokonut1971
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

It boggles the mind to see some good FPs get some low score here at Gamespot. Clearly the reviews are biased because the reviewer is rating the game other games and also that he is expecting the game to come up with something absolutely new which ia almost impossible for an FPS.

For FPS you can re invent the hweel with every game that comes out so why judge it with what it could be? why not judge it for what it is? Most FPS are about going on a path an shooting stuff up...like i said you cannot revolutionize that too much. The only thing you can add is more realistic features to the game but what if the intent was to have a run and gun mindless game like the first days of fps, should the game loose a lot of points because of that?

hard reset and space marines got low reviews...ok the reviews make sense but like i said they are old school fps, 10 years ago those game would have been called cutting edge, now people just go meh! does that disqualify it from being good?

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

It boggles the mind to see some good FPs get some low score here at Gamespot. Clearly the reviews are biased because the reviewer is rating the game other games and also that he is expecting the game to come up with something absolutely new which ia almost impossible for an FPS.

For FPS you can re invent the hweel with every game that comes out so why judge it with what it could be? why not judge it for what it is? Most FPS are about going on a path an shooting stuff up...like i said you cannot revolutionize that too much. The only thing you can add is more realistic features to the game but what if the intent was to have a run and gun mindless game like the first days of fps, should the game loose a lot of points because of that?

hard reset and space marines got low reviews...ok the reviews make sense but like i said they are old school fps, 10 years ago those game would have been called cutting edge, now people just go meh! does that disqualify it from being good?

kokonut1971

Things evolve.

Would you call a cellphone from 10 years ago good just because it was good 10 years ago? I think not.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

Arthur96

Things evolve.

Would you call a cellphone from 10 years ago good just because it was good 10 years ago? I think not.

True but at the same time. Some old things are still considered good or better then some new things. But anyway i have not played hard reset or space marines and i dont know what score they got here. But from what my friend told me about space marines its only "just above average" cant comment more then that. If a game is good then it will get a higher score if its bad it will get a lower. If its bad and still get a high score that mean said publisher have thrown money at whatever review website.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Hard Reset is short, unbalanced and unpolished. Space Marine is extremely repetitive. These were issues ten years ago too.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

Arthur96

Things evolve.

Very good point...there are some goods that are timeless but will probably go down a full point in rating due to its time.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Space Marine is old school? it's definitely a standard modern 3rd person shooter. Space Marine got a low score, but at the same time it's not more than an 8-8.5 games, even I as a fan of the lore, universe I don't give it more than 8.5, great experience but nothing memorable, just very enjoyable, as for Hard Reset, don't know, I don't really care about it, I'd rather play Painkiller than such a thing, seems soulless, I don't find it enjoyable at all, at least the demo and what I saw presented.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

Arthur96

Things evolve.

lol but can't say the same for say... Violins or pianos.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I think Hard Reset is a great game. Another one they recently scored very low that I disagree with is Rock of Ages. But in the end, who really cares? It's all just personal opinion.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#9 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

Arthur96

Things evolve.

A better one would be is Star Wars a bad movie just because they have better production and special effects technology today?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vfibsux
I think Hard Reset is a great game. Another one they recently scored very low that I disagree with is Rock of Ages. But in the end, who really cares? It's all just personal opinion. raven_squad
Let's keep in mind 7.0 is not considered a bad score, still a pretty solid review.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
[QUOTE="raven_squad"]I think Hard Reset is a great game. Another one they recently scored very low that I disagree with is Rock of Ages. But in the end, who really cares? It's all just personal opinion. vfibsux
Let's keep in mind 7.0 is not considered a bad score, still a pretty solid review.

True. It's not a terrible score. But for the work they put in on the engine and the gorgeous art style/visuals alone I think it's worthy of more then a 7.0. But I'm a deprived Cyberpunk fan. :P
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

Lach0121

Things evolve.

Yes but you can with games.

No matter how good games were 10 years ago, specifically reusing the formula in modern games is silly. I can always go on GOG, download say... Duke Nukem and play it.

Old school is old school for a reason: it's old. It should stay that way.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vfibsux

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

Things evolve.

Arthur96

No matter how good games were 10 years ago, specifically reusing the formula in modern games is silly. I can always go on GOG, download say... Duke Nukem and play it.

Completely disagree, because old school does not mean outdated graphics, it means awesome gameplay. The old school games were better in so many ways because gameplay was greater than visuals. Today it seems most new games are so busy trying to push the visual element they forget to create a good gaming experience. Saying that, just as with Hard Reset, you can get that old school gameplay feel and throw in new graphics and have a good time with the best of both worlds. Who wouldn't love to see old school classic recreated exactly as they were but with modern graphics? Why does old school gameplay have to stay back in the 80's and 90's? What you are talking about would better be related to movies than pc gaming.
Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#14 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

vfibsux

Completely disagree, because old school does not mean outdated graphics, it means awesome gameplay. The old school games were better in so many ways because gameplay was greater than visuals. Today it seems most new games are so busy trying to push the visual element they forget to create a good gaming experience. Saying that, just as with Hard Reset, you can get that old school gameplay feel and throw in new graphics and have a good time with the best of both worlds. Who wouldn't love to see old school classic recreated exactly as they were but with modern graphics? Why does old school gameplay have to stay back in the 80's and 90's? What you are talking about would better be related to movies than pc gaming.

I think most old school shooters are as shallow as their modern counter parts. I mean, what did you do in games like Doom and Quake that was so deep? You just run around, kill enemies, look for keys and repeat the same crap over and over. There are some exceptions to the formula, though, like the original Half-Life.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

kokonut1971

A 7 is still a good score(hence the 'good' under the score)

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="Arthur96"]

Diophage

I think most old school shooters are as shallow as their modern counter parts. I mean, what did you do in games like Doom and Quake that was so deep? You just run around, kill enemies, look for keys and repeat the same crap over and over. There are some exceptions to the formula, though, like the original Half-Life.

I think Hard Reset gets bonus points for not being a CoD clones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="vfibsux"] Completely disagree, because old school does not mean outdated graphics, it means awesome gameplay. The old school games were better in so many ways because gameplay was greater than visuals. Today it seems most new games are so busy trying to push the visual element they forget to create a good gaming experience. Saying that, just as with Hard Reset, you can get that old school gameplay feel and throw in new graphics and have a good time with the best of both worlds. Who wouldn't love to see old school classic recreated exactly as they were but with modern graphics? Why does old school gameplay have to stay back in the 80's and 90's? What you are talking about would better be related to movies than pc gaming.GummiRaccoon

I think Hard Reset gets bonus points for not being a CoD clones.

Yeah, I'm not hating on it. I thought the demo was alright. Nothing special, but not bad either. We need more first person shooters that aren't always about linear, scripted experiences. I think Prey 2 and Rage look promising in the regard that they step out of that convention a bit. Nothing wrong with games like Call of Duty existing, but we have way, way too many of them.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vfibsux

Diophage

Shooters yes, but was speaking in general terms. Still rather have an old school shooter that doesn't resemble a theme park ride.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#19 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
I would generally agree. Old-school is old-school for a reason, innovation has come along and set a new standard. I mean, would you be happy with HL2 if it was just improved graphics and a new story? I sure as hell wouldn't. Or TF2 for that matter. I'm not saying I don't appreciate old-school RPG and FPS games, but I wont put them in the same weight class as modern counterparts when it comes to reviews. That is not to say they aren't good games (Hard Reset seems pretty cool, EYE is a modernized Deus Ex from the feel of it), but a lot of innovation in FPS has come along in the last ten years.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

vfibsux

And I disagree with that. Gameplay by no means is worse these days. Look at HL2.... they revolutionized the FPS gameplay and made it still fun and awesome.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#21 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
You can do something that isn't a revolution - but still do it really well. StarCraft 2 is one example. Hard Reset does shooting reasonably well. It doesn't do a story, puzzles or a gimmick. When you compare it with something like bulletstorm it comes up short in many areas. I think Kevin 11 scored it relatively well.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

considering that standards and quality are constantly evolving, usually for the better, yes..."old school" games will continue to get the lower scores they deserve.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy old school feeling games, but the hard truth is that they are dated and require less thought to produce imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Had Painkiller (anything after Battle Out of Hell never happened) come out this year it would have probably scored a 8.5 or 9 because the game is a good game regardless of age because it has good design decisions and does what is set out to do very well.

Hard Reset didn't really accomplish what it set out to do from design decisions. Who thought limiting sprint in this type of game was a good idea? Strafing is arguably the most important element in this type of game. Then the campaign was extremely limited in enemies and length. Painkiller was constantly throwing new things at you where you had to think on your feet for the 10-15 hour campaign (more if you unlocked all the tarot cards).

I would generally agree. Old-school is old-school for a reason, innovation has come along and set a new standard. I mean, would you be happy with HL2 if it was just improved graphics and a new story? I sure as hell wouldn't. Or TF2 for that matter. I'm not saying I don't appreciate old-school RPG and FPS games, but I wont put them in the same weight class as modern counterparts when it comes to reviews. That is not to say they aren't good games (Hard Reset seems pretty cool, EYE is a modernized Deus Ex from the feel of it), but a lot of innovation in FPS has come along in the last ten years.SerOlmy

Yes, 100 times yes. Half-Life 2 had terrible gunplay, terrible enemies and had a laughable story. All it did well was the constant changing of locations and the use of narrative storytelling (it makes a terrible story average to good because of how it is told for instance).

'Innovation' took away multiple paths through a level and forced linear corridor after linear corridor with regenerating health. As far as I'm concerned shooters should be looking back at Quake, Painkiller, Half-Life 1 (despite not liking the sequel I consider this one of the best FPS of all time) and Doom for inspiration. There was a time when the FPS genre actually got my blood pumping. Every time I replay those games my blood is pumping on the highest difficulty.

Can the same be said for Call of Duty after 10 runthroughs of the highest difficulty? In fact why would I ever bother playing a Call of Duty game or Half-Life 2 through more then once or twice?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

Had Painkiller (anything after Battle Out of Hell never happened) come out this year it would have probably scored a 8.5 or 9 because the game is a good game regardless of age because it has good design decisions and does what is set out to do very well.

Hard Reset didn't really accomplish what it set out to do from design decisions. Who thought limiting sprint in this type of game was a good idea? Strafing is arguably the most important element in this type of game. Then the campaign was extremely limited in enemies and length. Painkiller was constantly throwing new things at you where you had to think on your feet for the 10-15 hour campaign (more if you unlocked all the tarot cards).

[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]I would generally agree. Old-school is old-school for a reason, innovation has come along and set a new standard. I mean, would you be happy with HL2 if it was just improved graphics and a new story? I sure as hell wouldn't. Or TF2 for that matter. I'm not saying I don't appreciate old-school RPG and FPS games, but I wont put them in the same weight class as modern counterparts when it comes to reviews. That is not to say they aren't good games (Hard Reset seems pretty cool, EYE is a modernized Deus Ex from the feel of it), but a lot of innovation in FPS has come along in the last ten years.Whiteblade999

Yes, 100 times yes. Half-Life 2 had terrible gunplay, terrible enemies and had a laughable story. All it did well was the constant changing of locations and the use of narrative storytelling (it makes a terrible story average to good because of how it is told for instance).

'Innovation' took away multiple paths through a level and forced linear corridor after linear corridor with regenerating health. As far as I'm concerned shooters should be looking back at Quake, Painkiller, Half-Life 1 (despite not liking the sequel I consider this one of the best FPS of all time) and Doom for inspiration. There was a time when the FPS genre actually got my blood pumping. Every time I replay those games my blood is pumping on the highest difficulty.

Can the same be said for Call of Duty after 10 runthroughs of the highest difficulty? In fact why would I ever bother playing a Call of Duty game or Half-Life 2 through more then once or twice?

LOL, I guess we played different version of HL2...

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]I would generally agree. Old-school is old-school for a reason, innovation has come along and set a new standard. I mean, would you be happy with HL2 if it was just improved graphics and a new story? I sure as hell wouldn't. Or TF2 for that matter. I'm not saying I don't appreciate old-school RPG and FPS games, but I wont put them in the same weight class as modern counterparts when it comes to reviews. That is not to say they aren't good games (Hard Reset seems pretty cool, EYE is a modernized Deus Ex from the feel of it), but a lot of innovation in FPS has come along in the last ten years.Whiteblade999

The fact that you say anything about HL2 was terrible completely undermines everything you say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6243ee9902175

The fact that you say anything about HL2 was terrible completely undermines everything you say.

GummiRaccoon

Strong argument you make there. Care to enlighten me on how my opinion is wrong? I can respect the majority of people on this board who like it but if you don't want to look like a troll add why you like it or why you think I am wrong.

R3dx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R3dx3
Member since 2011 • 35 Posts

We need more first person shooters that aren't always about linear, scripted experiences. I think Prey 2 and Rage look promising in the regard that they step out of that convention a bit. Nothing wrong with games like Call of Duty existing, but we have way, way too many of them. Diophage

This. Much of the appeal of 'old school' shooters are their lack of some extraneous gaming conventions such as a focus on story, heavily scripted encounters, recharging health and aim down sights. The lack of these can make for a liberating experience.

I have always favoured halo over most console fps because it had huge, unscripted battles where the player could make SOME descisions for himself, unlike COD for example.

By extraneous I dont mean bad, but not completely neccecary to have for a game to be fun. Unfortunately hard reset doesn't have the same branching levels doom had, but it still has great gameplay and graphics.

Imo it deserved an 8, but a 7 isn't a travesty. I hope RO2 gets a decent review though

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Whiteblade999

Strong argument you make there. Care to enlighten me on how my opinion is wrong? I can respect the majority of people on this board who like it but if you don't want to look like a troll add why you like it or why you think I am wrong.

The problem is you are the one making the claim that everyone in all of the gaming world would disagree with, seeing as how HL2 is the highest rated game of all time.

If you are going to claim that it is terrible, YOU are the one who needs to provide proof.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Diophage"]We need more first person shooters that aren't always about linear, scripted experiences. I think Prey 2 and Rage look promising in the regard that they step out of that convention a bit. Nothing wrong with games like Call of Duty existing, but we have way, way too many of them. R3dx3

This. Much of the appeal of 'old school' shooters are their lack of some extraneous gaming conventions such as a focus on story, heavily scripted encounters, recharging health and aim down sights. The lack of these can make for a liberating experience.

I have always favoured halo over most console fps because it had huge, unscripted battles where the player could make SOME descisions for himself, unlike COD for example.

By extraneous I dont mean bad, but not completely neccecary to have for a game to be fun. Unfortunately hard reset doesn't have the same branching levels doom had, but it still has great gameplay and graphics.

Imo it deserved an 8, but a 7 isn't a travesty. I hope RO2 gets a decent review though

I'm confused. Old School Shooters were very linear.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

Los9090

Things evolve.

Very good point...there are some goods that are timeless but will probably go down a full point in rating due to its time.

No that's a very bad point imho, a cellphone is essentially a utility device, a game is purely an entertainment product.

Films are a much more fair comparison, there are a lot of movies that were awesome back in the day but aged badly. But yet there are those timeless classics that can still spank many of the best movies today.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]I would generally agree. Old-school is old-school for a reason, innovation has come along and set a new standard. I mean, would you be happy with HL2 if it was just improved graphics and a new story? I sure as hell wouldn't. Or TF2 for that matter. I'm not saying I don't appreciate old-school RPG and FPS games, but I wont put them in the same weight class as modern counterparts when it comes to reviews. That is not to say they aren't good games (Hard Reset seems pretty cool, EYE is a modernized Deus Ex from the feel of it), but a lot of innovation in FPS has come along in the last ten years.FelipeInside

LOL, I guess we played different version of HL2...

I also don't see what's so great about HL2. While I think the story is very good, I didn't think much of the gameplay. Enemy variety also left a lot to be desired. Maybe I just played it too late? I got it with the Orange Box.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
There isn't 'bias' and quite frankly throwing it around in an argument is a sure fire way to make your own points invalid. These games have issues and GS tends to judge games at an equal standard, so yes independent developers have it tougher as they generally do, which isn't they are mis represented. Hard Reset for instance has issues, does that mean GS is saying it's a bad game? No. The review was fair and considerate.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Whiteblade999

Nor does your opinion make it a fact. Reasonable balance and understanding of the game and its coherence is what makes a judgement more respectable - and that's what we demand from critics and why HL2 was universally accoladed as being an absolutely finely crated game, which it is in the sum of itself despite its shortcomings. However is everyone going to enjoy HL2? Well no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

skrat_01

Nor does your opinion make it a fact. Reasonable balance and understanding of the game and its coherence is what makes a judgement more respectable - and that's what we demand from critics and why HL2 was universally accoladed as being an absolutely finely crated game, which it is in the sum of itself despite its shortcomings. However is everyone going to enjoy HL2? Well no.

I think Half-Life 2's biggest flaw is the simplicity of its AI. It made the game way too easy. Other than that, it's a masterpiece of epic proportions times infinity.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 vfibsux

FelipeInside

And I disagree with that. Gameplay by no means is worse these days. Look at HL2.... they revolutionized the FPS gameplay and made it still fun and awesome.

You do realize HL2 came out 7 years ago? Hardly "these days" esp when talking in terms of the PC. "Back then" the GeForce 5000 series and Radeon 9800's were top of the line graphics cards, just to give you some perspective.

I would argue HL2 still fits into the old school category as a non-linear fps with large levels and puzzles to solve.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vfibsux
[QUOTE="R3dx3"]

[QUOTE="Diophage"]We need more first person shooters that aren't always about linear, scripted experiences. I think Prey 2 and Rage look promising in the regard that they step out of that convention a bit. Nothing wrong with games like Call of Duty existing, but we have way, way too many of them. FelipeInside

I'm confused. Old School Shooters were very linear.

Not in the same sense as modern day shooters. You can get more exploration from a railed theme park ride.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="vfibsux"] Completely disagree, because old school does not mean outdated graphics, it means awesome gameplay. The old school games were better in so many ways because gameplay was greater than visuals. Today it seems most new games are so busy trying to push the visual element they forget to create a good gaming experience. Saying that, just as with Hard Reset, you can get that old school gameplay feel and throw in new graphics and have a good time with the best of both worlds. Who wouldn't love to see old school classic recreated exactly as they were but with modern graphics? Why does old school gameplay have to stay back in the 80's and 90's? What you are talking about would better be related to movies than pc gaming.vfibsux

You do realize HL2 came out 7 years ago? Hardly "these days" esp when talking in terms of the PC. The GeForce 5000 series and Radeon 9800's were top of the line graphics cards, just to give you some perspective. I would argue HL2 still fits into the old school category as a non-linear fps with large levels and puzzles to solve.

Half-Life 2 is totally linear. I even thought Half-Life 1 was pretty linear. The only first person shooters that give me the feeling that they're non linear are Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, or similar games like that. Well, that, and games like Crysis (not 2), Far Cry, Far Cry, etc.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

And I disagree with that. Gameplay by no means is worse these days. Look at HL2.... they revolutionized the FPS gameplay and made it still fun and awesome.Diophage

You do realize HL2 came out 7 years ago? Hardly "these days" esp when talking in terms of the PC. The GeForce 5000 series and Radeon 9800's were top of the line graphics cards, just to give you some perspective. I would argue HL2 still fits into the old school category as a non-linear fps with large levels and puzzles to solve.

Half-Life 2 is totally linear. I even thought Half-Life 1 was pretty linear. The only first person shooters that give me the feeling that they're non linear are Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, or similar games like that. Well, that, and games like Crysis (not 2), Far Cry, Far Cry, etc.

Yes it has some linear too it, as Fel stated is was revolutionary and probably could be said it was the beginning of the modern day shooter on rails. I still think it falls more into the old school category than what we get these days. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, been a while since I played it but I loved the game, and I hate modern shooters.

Crysis/Far Cry's are def in a category by themselves when it comes to shooters. When talking modern shooters I'm talking more the BF and CoD series.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

HL2 (...) non-linear

vfibsux

Does not compute...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="vfibsux"]

vfibsux

Yes it has some linear too it, as Fel stated is was revolutionary and probably could be said it was the beginning of the modern day shooter on rails. I still think it falls more into the old school category than what we get these days. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, been a while since I played it but I loved the game, and I hate modern shooters.

Crysis/Far Cry's are def in a category by themselves when it comes to shooters. When talking modern shooters I'm talking more the BF and CoD series.

I don't know about old school, but Half-Life 2 does tend to break the mold by throwing in puzzles. Most shooters are now totally combat based. I still don't consider it old school. I think Half-Life 2 is one of the best examples of a modern first person shooter, alongside Call of Duty 2.
Ravenhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#41 Ravenhoe
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts

I disagree, I think it is just that many of the new 'old school' shooters are not good enough ! Gamespot does not rate Old School stuff badly. Look at all the indiegames with high ratings, they are certainly old school in scope and graphics but get very high ratings. Also, check out the recent review for Avadon: The Black Fortress, an low-graphics, hardcore RPG that is as old school as it gets and it got a 7 ! The same as Warhammer 40K and Dead Island ! So, I disagree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6243ee9902175

If you are going to claim that it is terrible, YOU are the one who needs to provide proof.

GummiRaccoon

Didn't read the post where I said it had terrible gunplay, terrible enemies and a laughable story? Your post in response pretty much says "you say this so you must be wrong."

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

And I disagree with that. Gameplay by no means is worse these days. Look at HL2.... they revolutionized the FPS gameplay and made it still fun and awesome.Diophage

That's what I don't understand. If I remember correctly, Doom, Quake and Duke just had one linear path to finish each level...

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DanielDust

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="vfibsux"]

FelipeInside

That's what I don't understand. If I remember correctly, Doom, Quake and Duke just had one linear path to finish each level...

Correct, Duke was the one that had pretty 3D levels, certain maps took you from up high to down low, but they were all linear, can't go here go that way, get card, open this and continue is linear not non linear.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Whiteblade999

Didn't read the post where I said it had terrible gunplay, terrible enemies and a laughable story? Your post in response pretty much says "you say this so you must be wrong."

You need to provide how the gunplay was terrible, how the enemies are terrible and how the story is laughable.

Nothing you said provided any proof of anything.

If you are going to challenge to top rated PC game of all time as being terrible, you better provide significant back up to your claim. Just saying what you think is terrible doesn't explain how it is terrible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Diophage"]Half-Life 2 is totally linear. I even thought Half-Life 1 was pretty linear. The only first person shooters that give me the feeling that they're non linear are Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, or similar games like that. Well, that, and games like Crysis (not 2), Far Cry, Far Cry, etc. DanielDust

Correct, Duke was the one that had pretty 3D levels, certain maps took you from up high to down low, but they were all linear, can't go here go that way, get card, open this and continue is linear not non linear.

I was never debating to what extent they were non-linear, but they are most certainly less linear than Call of Duty and Half-Life 2.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Diophage

I was never debating to what extent they were non-linear, but they are most certainly less linear than Call of Duty and Half-Life 2.

I still don't know to what extent.

CoD is very linear.... but there are still a few ways to get around in "some" of the maps. HL2 in general is linear, but some maps give you a good freedom to tackle it from various points.

They aren't as free as something like Crysis... but the old school ones were VERY linear imo.... only one way in, one way out...which is natural cause it was the way FPS were designed back then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] Correct, Duke was the one that had pretty 3D levels, certain maps took you from up high to down low, but they were all linear, can't go here go that way, get card, open this and continue is linear not non linear.FelipeInside

CoD is very linear.... but there are still a few ways to get around in "some" of the maps. HL2 in general is linear, but some maps give you a good freedom to tackle it from various points.

They aren't as free as something like Crysis... but the old school ones were VERY linear imo.... only one way in, one way out...which is natural cause it was the way FPS were designed back then.

There was multiple path ways in Duke Nukem Forever and Doom. You didn't have to get the key cards in the same order, and there were a lot of secret areas hidden away from the naked eye. It encouraged exploration beyond going in a straight line the whole time. Half-Life 2 does a little bit of this, but Call of Duty doesn't do it at all. If you think they are linear in the same way, then you're sadly mistaken and need to go back and play them some more.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DanielDust

It depends some people consider backtracking as a bad thing that doesn't hide the linearity at all and I am one of those, Duke, Quake, CoD, they are all just as linear for me, Wolfenstein, Splinter Cell and others, those are not that linear, there are few games that manage to not be so linear and also not feel awkward, the FPS that goes for atmosphere and experience is never that open, and there are few that take the risk to make non linear ones, because a non linear shooter has a different purpose and people have different expectations. Put CoD in such a formula and a disaster will happen, linear games need only to impress you and it might easily do that, but an open shooter can't impress anyone with its intensity and action, it needs substance and lots of it if the devs want such a game to be great and not one of the hundreds that get released each year.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Diophage"]I was never debating to what extent they were non-linear, but they are most certainly less linear than Call of Duty and Half-Life 2. Diophage

There was multiple path ways in Duke Nukem Forever and Doom. You didn't have to get the key cards in the same order, and there were a lot of secret areas hidden away from the naked eye. It encouraged exploration beyond going in a straight line the whole time. Half-Life 2 does a little bit of this, but Call of Duty doesn't do it at all. If you think they are linear in the same way, then you're sadly mistaken and need to go back and play them some more.

It's been a long while since I've played them...so maybe I don't remember them correctly, if so I apologize. My memory from them was mostly, find the card, open the door... go to next level, kill enemies, find card, open door and repeat. There were some hidden levels. CoD is very linear, I totally agree.... but it means to be like that. It's like a RollerCoaster Ride. HL2 I thought was nicely laid out. The levels were you are driving on the road in the open....and you can passed house or shores... do I explore that house? do I keep driving?