This topic is locked from further discussion.

xH4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xH4N
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

Some Questions.

I have been thinking about changing my OC into a Vista. I do know that Vista is running with a lot of problems these days, but want to know the main problems going on with the OC.

I am also going to be receiving this product from one of my Dads friend that owns a small hardware shop. Yes, it will be free.

Either way im still going to take it . So would anybody tell me the main problems with this OC?

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
I think you mean OS, not OC. Anyway, for gaming, Vista is slower than XP, and in some areas it has compatibility issues with older applications, or older hardware lacks driver support. Also, you need more powerful hardware to run Vista smoothly compared to XP. I built a Vista Home Premium 32bit system for my uncle and it ran just fine. It's a pretty good OS if you make sure that all the hardware and software you are going to use supports it.
nightwraith40k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nightwraith40k
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts
Isn't vista sp1 equal to xp sp3 in performance now? Vista does take 1 gb RAM when idle though I've seen the meter before.
Alejo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Alejo17
Member since 2005 • 690 Posts

O dam are you overclocking Vista from 32 bit to 64 bit man thats amazing.

Now ona serious note, since 1 or 2 compatibility issues and the fact Vista needs better hardware it is great!

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

make sure that your PC can run Vista. ensure that there are Vista drivers available for your hardware. also make sure that the applications you use is compatible with Vista. if not, u can check their website and see if there's an update available.

install Vista and mess around wid it a little to see if u'll like it. if not, u can always go back to XP

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

Isn't vista sp1 equal to xp sp3 in performance now? Vista does take 1 gb RAM when idle though I've seen the meter before.nightwraith40k

Vista takes up more Ram then XP, quite a bit actually... XP uses about 200 MB.

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts

Some Questions.

I have been thinking about changing my OC into a Vista. I do know that Vista is running with a lot of problems these days, but want to know the main problems going on with the OC.

xH4N

Vista has no problems since the release of SP1.

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Telekenesis123
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

I think you mean OS, not OC. Anyway, for gaming, Vista is slower than XP, and in some areas it has compatibility issues with older applications, or older hardware lacks driver support. Also, you need more powerful hardware to run Vista smoothly compared to XP. I built a Vista Home Premium 32bit system for my uncle and it ran just fine. It's a pretty good OS if you make sure that all the hardware and software you are going to use supports it.Marfoo

Actually, with the sp1 vista service pack vista beat win xp in all catorgories. There is an article about it on arstechnica.com

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekenesis123

Here you go guys, not so hard to find after all so I did it for ya:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/05/22/microsoft-white-paper-vista-beats-up-on-xp-sp3-in-every-way

Vista is faster than XP now in gaming after SP1

oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/05/22/microsoft-white-paper-vista-beats-up-on-xp-sp3-in-every-way

Telekenesis123

Okay, so let's say that Vista is up to speed with XP in games. What about compatibility of old titles? I have to have my original Police Quests, Leisure Suit Larrys, Ultimas, Quake, Doom, and even 7th Guest. It's not like those are ground breaking games, but every once in a while I find joy playing them and if they won't work then I'll be screwed.

How long should it take for alot of these oldskool gems to run fine on Vista with no hacks?

FLAMEINSANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FLAMEINSANE
Member since 2004 • 3017 Posts
If you have the space, you could just run a dual boot. It's pretty easy to set up, even easier than if you had to set one up with Vista already installed.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts

If you have the space, you could just run a dual boot. It's pretty easy to set up, even easier than if you had to set one up with Vista already installed.FLAMEINSANE

Can you explain the process please? Thanks.

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts

If you have the space, you could just run a dual boot. It's pretty easy to set up, even easier than if you had to set one up with Vista already installed.FLAMEINSANE

There is no reason to run a dual boot. You do not need a 32bit OS. My Vista 64 can run anything I have thrown at it. It runs old ass games like System Shock 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and Deus Ex just fine.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
It involves creating two partitions on your HDD, you install one OS on each partition and then you install a boot manager, or a program that lets you choose which OS you want to boot into when you turn on your computer.
Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Telekenesis123
[QUOTE="Telekenesis123"]

oldskooler79

Okay, so let's say that Vista is up to speed with XP in games. What about compatibility of old titles? I have to have my original Police Quests, Leisure Suit Larrys, Ultimas, Quake, Doom, and even 7th Guest. It's not like those are ground breaking games, but every once in a while I find joy playing them and if they won't work then I'll be screwed.

How long should it take for alot of these oldskool gems to run fine on Vista with no hacks?

Hey I'm totally with ya. Seriously I kept win 98 up until 2006 for just that purpose. I think you will be pleasantly surprised (as I was) at vistas emulating properties for those old os's.

Besides, you shouldn't be even using it, just use DOSBOX and it emulates DOS near perfectly. I can play any old game in it. I would suggest you have at least a 1.5 ghz cpu to get them all running up to speed in the DOSBOX emulator though.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ISuperGamerI

It involves creating two partitions on your HDD, you install one OS on each partition and then you install a boot manager, or a program that lets you choose which OS you want to boot into when you turn on your computer.Marfoo

Thanks but where do you get a program that does that?

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Telekenesis123
Try partition magic, thats one ive heard of. Don't know if its the 'best' though.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ISuperGamerI

Try partition magic, thats one ive heard of. Don't know if its the 'best' though.Telekenesis123

Yeah, I know about Partition Magic and have also been using it for a few years. It's a great program.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="Telekenesis123"]

oldskooler79

well, i can run games from 1995 and up, so how's that? I can play Fallout 2, for example (it's from 1997) just fine. If you have trouble with a game, run it compatability mode for Win XP or NT or 95 even. The ONLY game I haven't got to run on Vista is Rome Total War, and that's out of over 100+ games I have installed right now. Plus, with people claiming Vista runs a lot of backround programs to slow you down, while it is true, but only true when you are NOT in a game...vista will shut down unnecessary programs and features. Example: Windows Aero doesn't run when in any game...you'll notice this if you minimize the game, you'll see the simple Aero for a second before the real thing kicks in again. And with SP1 released, performance is much better, it uses RAM more effectively, and has much less compatability issues.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
From PC enthusiasts who know what they're doing, i have heard of no real such problems :? Also i tried it for a few days on the family PC and it was fine with 1GB of RAM, i just couldn't find the printer drivers so i had to switch back. I might eventually try it on my rig with 2GB of RAM. In a month it really will be the new standard so i say go for it. It can only get better.

[QUOTE="nightwraith40k"]Isn't vista sp1 equal to xp sp3 in performance now? Vista does take 1 gb RAM when idle though I've seen the meter before.Luminouslight

Vista takes up more Ram then XP, quite a bit actually... XP uses about 200 MB.

Which is a good thing :)
xH4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xH4N

oh yea SP1 i researched some more about it.

looks pretty good to me. wat are the differences btw running a 32 and a 64bit?

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts
[QUOTE="oldskooler79"][QUOTE="Telekenesis123"]

wis3boi

well, i can run games from 1995 and up, so how's that? I can play Fallout 2, for example (it's from 1997) just fine. If you have trouble with a game, run it compatability mode for Win XP or NT or 95 even. The ONLY game I haven't got to run on Vista is Rome Total War, and that's out of over 100+ games I have installed right now. Plus, with people claiming Vista runs a lot of backround programs to slow you down, while it is true, but only true when you are NOT in a game...vista will shut down unnecessary programs and features. Example: Windows Aero doesn't run when in any game...you'll notice this if you minimize the game, you'll see the simple Aero for a second before the real thing kicks in again. And with SP1 released, performance is much better, it uses RAM more effectively, and has much less compatability issues.

Really, why would it not work? I have Rome: Total War installed on my Vista machine and it runs just fine.

To the best of my recollection, everything I have tried on Vista has worked.

wow1059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wow1059
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts
I use vista because it's a lot more stable. Even though vista still isn't compatible with some software (like my favorite game KOTOR!!! Would appreciate any advice on how to make it work) it almost never crashes and always runs smoothly. My xp has crashed at least 5 times the past year and i have to reinstall the whole os once. I don't remember my vista ever crashing since I bought it a year ago.
xH4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xH4N
to run vista itll be better if i run 4gb (2x2GB) right?
xH4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xH4N
xH4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xH4N
Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Telekenesis123

to run vista itll be better if i run 4gb (2x2GB) right?xH4N

Well if you get 4 gigs of ram then you have to use 64-bit vista and lots of programs are not compatible with it yet. If you get 3.5 gigs you can still use 32-bit.

wow1059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wow1059
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts
vista 64 and vista 32 are essentially the same
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

Most "problems" from vista are from places like gateway, dell, and HP selling vista machines with 512mb of $@&#ing ram... and other outdated hardware.

Any machine with modern hardware will run vista as well as XP with the new SP1... Also as for Vista using more ram, most of that is because vista boots up with things preloaded for quick program access...or atleast thats what I've heard. Wether is true or not, I haven't investigated.

2gigs is good, and 3gigs is prefect. 2x1gb sticks and 2x512mb sticks is all you need.

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

Most "problems" from vista are from places like gateway, dell, and HP selling vista machines with 512mb of $@&#ing ram... and other outdated hardware.

Any machine with modern hardware will run vista as well as XP with the new SP1... Also as for Vista using more ram, most of that is because vista boots up with things preloaded for quick program access...or atleast thats what I've heard. Wether is true or not, I haven't investigated.

2gigs is good, and 3gigs is prefect. 2x1gb sticks and 2x512mb sticks is all you need.

SinfulPotato

Yup, they call it superfetch if I remember correctly. All I know is that my PC says it is using about 35% of my 4GB of RAM just sitting here typing this. It said the exact same thing when I had to RMA 2 of my sticks, and was running with just 2GB. So the way I see it, Vista takes more RAM for superfetch depending on how much RAM you have.

Now does it work like it is supposed to? I don't know I have never had problems so I think so, LOL.