Why no serious competition for WoW? Why is mmo genre so vacant?

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for RamenLovingPand
RamenLovingPand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 RamenLovingPand
Member since 2006 • 85 Posts
lol I just linked my WoW account to the new bnet system and seeing that free 7 days in my face has tempted me to at least play them. Damnit...I haven't played in 2 years now!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Jermone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Jermone123
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

Do it you know you want to

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
The fact is Star Wars definitely isn't a niche crowd, and neither is it's appeal. Star Wars is a HUGE mainstay in gaming and has been for like 20 years.Renevent42
Doesnt matter, didnt save Star Wars: Galaxies did it? ToR looks completely average. you think the average gamer is going to care about long dialogue sequences in MMO's ... I certainly dont. I'm praying FF14 doesnt take too much from WoW.... sounds like it already has taken quite abit, but kept its own charm... cant say the same for ToR *shudders at the pathetic choice of art direction for a star wars game*
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts

NC soft is not really a developer. They're a PUBLISHER. Blizzard is a developer who's size rivals that of big publishers. I'd wager a guess that Blizz has more ppl commited to developing games than some publishers have under all their individual developer franchises taken together.

Someone said that GW was buggy and unstable at launch, that is not true and as some1 else pointed out quite the oposite. And no, I dont think GW2 is going to take wow's no.1 spot however it's gonna gain an easy spot on the top 5 list... unless NC soft screws Arena.net by rushing the game out to retail (*cough*Cryptic*cough*).

Blizzard are masters at making a game addictive. I'd say their games are pretty much developed towards that. Thye're like McDonalds of gaming lol.

I'd say, a half or more wow's player base is constantly on the look-out for way out... for different reasons. It's that a game of wow's playability is hard to come by these days. I personally would rather play a sci-fi MMO than a fantasy one but I'm not going to sacrifice a stellar aestetics and playability of wow for average ones.

Before wow I played GW and thought that wow was for kids and casuals untill at some point got bored of GW and tried wow trial. From the very first minutes of play it's obvious that that the game is crack in pixelated form. It is a full package, no less, designed to keep you playing it and sacrificing many things for it, too.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I didnt read, but its just because people see its big and figure "Why not that one?"

Why would they play the new up and comer and spend 15$ a week for something they arent sure about when they can go online and see a million people gushing about how amazing WoW is?

Personally it wasnt my thing, I much prefered FFXI, but thats my choice.
Wow was too bland for me because I was more of a Party person and in WoW there was WAY too much grinding for me -_-;

Anyways, to each his own, but as I said, WoW is big, and because of its Status, it only gets bigger because people feel more sure about it than something smaller.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]The fact is Star Wars definitely isn't a niche crowd, and neither is it's appeal. Star Wars is a HUGE mainstay in gaming and has been for like 20 years.Birdy09
Doesnt matter, didnt save Star Wars: Galaxies did it? ToR looks completely average. you think the average gamer is going to care about long dialogue sequences in MMO's ... I certainly dont. I'm praying FF14 doesnt take too much from WoW.... sounds like it already has taken quite abit, but kept its own charm... cant say the same for ToR *shudders at the pathetic choice of art direction for a star wars game*

\

Galaxies also had a pretty substantial userbase before everybody quit. Unlike wow, the galaxy community never increased due to word of mouth because, well, frankly, the devs didn't fix any bugs and instead decided to completely copy the evercrack formula and ruin the niche sandbox MMO market the had stumbled upon.

Also, the reason for TOR's more cartoony graphics is to attract a wider userbase like wow, and run on lower end pc's like wow. Also, judging from the popularity of games like mass effect, and one of the age old arguments against MMO's, I think that people do want more dialog because they want to make an impact on their virtual world.

TOR won't be the wow killer so many people label it as, but unless bioware releases a buggy broken game, I can't see how it won't be successful.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i have absolutely no idea why you think the genre is "vacant". since the success of WoW, every studio that can create a mmorpg has either done so or is creating one right now. some of them are quite critically acclaimed too.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 shakmaster13

i have absolutely no idea why you think the genre is "vacant". since the success of WoW, every studio that can create a mmorpg has either done so or is creating one right now. some of them are quite critically acclaimed too.

Jinroh_basic

I think he means that each of those MMO's has failed and is completely overshadowed by wow.

CoreoVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 CoreoVII
Member since 2007 • 1838 Posts

Well considering this thread contains a decent debate. I'm curious to know if anyone here is even remotely interested in FF14?

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 shakmaster13

Well considering this thread contains a decent debate. I'm curious to know if anyone here is even remotely interested in FF14?

CoreoVII

People in asia.

tulipkiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tulipkiya
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts
WoW.! is easy to play...thats why people are mad about...it.....no other factor.....more the game enjoyble and user friendly will definately win the money and fame....:)
CoreoVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 CoreoVII
Member since 2007 • 1838 Posts

[QUOTE="CoreoVII"]

shakmaster13

People in asia.

Agreed. Hopefully some speak English.

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

Sorry if this was said before, I didn't read all pages.

One of WoWs huge advantages nowadays is that a launch of a MMO is propably never smooth. And all MMOs need time to get polished, no game can ever be as polished as WoW when it launches. Here's the problem. A huge amount of MMO players that come to a new game, are coming from WoW, or have played WoW for a long time. When they notice the lacks of the game compared to WoW, they ones with least patience already head back into Blizzards arms. Some stay until the first bigger patch, if that doesn't satisfy them, they go aswell. Why pay a monthly subscription for something you don't enjoy as much as your previous game?

I know this, because I have tried to "escape" WoW, but havn't succeeded yet. I tried AoC, didn't stay for long. I played Warhammer Online, played it a few months but had to quit because the game lagged graphically for me, and I was never able to solve it (Computer was far above the minimum reqs). Then I played Aion when it released, first impression was good, but after level 35 I couldn't take it anymore, guess I'm too casual for grinding mobs many hours a day...

I'm definately not a WoW fanboy, and I play other games in other genres beside it, but when it comes to MMOs, I have found no games that can win over WoW, especially for a casual player like me.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

There is no way that game is going to come close to WoW. Many many people do not like Star Wars. That is a niche crowd. MMO's are all about mass. Attract as many people as you can. That is why they went with fantasy. It works... Blizzard was even quoated in saying their next MMO is going to be more broad. Broad is something that Star wars is not.

Jermone123
This!
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

CoreoVII
I'm interested in it, but considering I didn't like FF XI, I'm not expecting much.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

There's no competition because 99% of the MMOs that come out are simply copying WOW in the first place. Yeah, they may change the setting, but it's still your basic tank, dps, healer groups that level up and occasionally get new gear and abilities, just like they've all been since EQ. The biggest difference is the new games are generally buggy while WOW is extremely polished and streamlined. Why would any sane person play any other MMO?

It's going to take a company going in a very different direction to have any chance of success against WOW. By that I mean a complete overhauling of leveling, the party system, etc.

myke2010
Exactly i almost fell to sleep playing Aion and Warhammer online just WOW clones plain and simple. A new Approach is needed.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="myke2010"]

There's no competition because 99% of the MMOs that come out are simply copying WOW in the first place. Yeah, they may change the setting, but it's still your basic tank, dps, healer groups that level up and occasionally get new gear and abilities, just like they've all been since EQ. The biggest difference is the new games are generally buggy while WOW is extremely polished and streamlined. Why would any sane person play any other MMO?

It's going to take a company going in a very different direction to have any chance of success against WOW. By that I mean a complete overhauling of leveling, the party system, etc.

jwsoul
Exactly i almost fell to sleep playing Aion and Warhammer online just WOW clones plain and simple. A new Approach is needed.

You know, I want an MMO where it's acrtually part of a living world. If someone wants to be a farmer, and sell things to people, they should be able to play the entire game that way. I hate how WoW and games like that completely pigeonhole the way you can play the game. Kill, loot, level, rinse, repeat. I would love a game where you take part in an interactive world, whether it be as a trader, craftsman, or adventurer. Hell, SWG even had politicians.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Entropia is like that, isn't it? I think there's a few games that have that kind of freedom.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 zomglolcats
Entropia is like that, isn't it? I think there's a few games that have that kind of freedom. Renevent42
Well but entropia is kind of killed by the whole real life currency thing.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Renevent42
What about EVE Online? I thought I remember someone telling me you can basically play through the whole game being a miner/trader/crafter/ect...
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 zomglolcats
What about EVE Online? I thought I remember someone telling me you can basically play through the whole game being a miner/trader/crafter/ect...Renevent42
I've always heard good things about EVE, but never actually tried it out yet. I think now might be the time to do so.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts

There are other mmo's out there that have been recently developed. There are still mmo's currently in development. The thing is, the "competition" is not really competition. They just are not as good as WoW. They have their little advantages over WoW, they prosper in certain areas. However, in the grand scheme of things, WoW is more well rounded and more playable. Hardcore WoW addicts will disagree with me I'm sure, saying the game is completely unbalanced with certain classes being OP or underpowered. The casual gamer won't even notice these things because they aren't even that big of a problem. It all comes down to, as spec0688 said, "time and money". These companies making the games don't have the patience to wait for a complete game to be made, or they don't have the funds. Sadly, this is the case for all genres of gaming, not just mmo's.

UOStock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 UOStock
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think Spittis summed up WoW well... for the casual player, it's their MMO, but the most ironic, perverse part is WoW is the least MMO-like game out of any available option. It's a game on rails (said earlier in a different thread, but I didn't see a single person here mention this fact). Do A to B, to C to D.. now let's look at the great PvP ? Class1 beats Class2 but Class3 Always beats Class4, but is no match for Class5,etc. THAT is what you're looking for in an MMO? Someone to dictate the experience? It's a joke, and a bad one at that. And yes, 10 million people can miss the point, and we all know there is more than 10 million hamsters on wheels out there that WoW is suitable for. If you want a real diverse MMO, that may require you to actually learn and acquire ability and skill, try Lineage2, try FFXI even for the large grouping, I preferer UO. These are the games that you can have epic fights that will be talked about for time to come. That a players SKILL is more important than theyre Epic Suitz of Arm0r or whatever goofy mount they ride. Where A doesn't always beat B; A might outplay the whole alphabet if he's good enough. How can you expect someone to "compete" with WoW? Blizzard has more money, and is a really well run company. Just because there are 10 million(last figure I saw) people in the world looking for the mental equivalent of a Tram ride, doesn't make them right, and doesn't make the game good. I sell currency in all of these games, WoW accounts for more of my mmo related income than any other game, but it's an awful, awful game. Once developers are done trying to capture that 10 million userbase, and go back to making games that are diverse and competitive, the niche will rejuvenate.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Renevent42
I thought WoW (when I played years ago) wasn't like what you describe...at all. And I have played MANY mmo's and the experience was pretty similar between all of them. WoW is not anywhere near as casual as many of you would like to pretend (in order to slander it). MMO's I have played: Ultima Online Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Anarchy Online Dark Age of Camelot Dungeon and Dragon's Online Guild Wars Everquest 2 Fallen Earth (well...beta at least) Lord of the Rings Tabula Rasa WoW AoC Plus a whole host of free-to-play ones I won't even bother to mention...
UOStock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 UOStock
I can assure you my time begrudgingly spent in WoW is in the months of logged-in gaming, and this is coming from a very experienced MMO background. You may not see how it's a game on rails, but that doesn't change the fact :P Since you've played UO (not sure at what time), compare the PvP scenes in UO and in WoW, and that's a pretty plain as day way to begin seeing how WoW is a game on rails. I never said that WoW was casual for everyone, I have an a friend who takes it way too serious, and I know of some online buds in the UK who were practicing for some 5v5 championship thing. You can take it as serious as you want, but my point was that it's APPEAL is primarily to the casual gamer, and while Blizzard has done a great job at adding end-game content, I think they still cater to the casuals.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 shakmaster13

[QUOTE="jwsoul"][QUOTE="myke2010"]

zomglolcats

You know, I want an MMO where it's acrtually part of a living world. If someone wants to be a farmer, and sell things to people, they should be able to play the entire game that way. I hate how WoW and games like that completely pigeonhole the way you can play the game. Kill, loot, level, rinse, repeat. I would love a game where you take part in an interactive world, whether it be as a trader, craftsman, or adventurer. Hell, SWG even had politicians.

In galaxies you could just be an entertainer for pete's sake. You know what that mean? That means you dance around all you want in a cantina and get paid for it. More devs need to do a skill based approach instead of a class/level based approach to MMO's. It's the only way to break the overused evercrack formula and to make your game stick out above the rest.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Blizzard released a highly polished and addictive game that has some of the best patch support out there, releasing large content patches every 3 to 4 months..
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 shakmaster13
[QUOTE="UOStock"]I can assure you my time begrudgingly spent in WoW is in the months of logged-in gaming, and this is coming from a very experienced MMO background. You may not see how it's a game on rails, but that doesn't change the fact :P Since you've played UO (not sure at what time), compare the PvP scenes in UO and in WoW, and that's a pretty plain as day way to begin seeing how WoW is a game on rails. I never said that WoW was casual for everyone, I have an a friend who takes it way too serious, and I know of some online buds in the UK who were practicing for some 5v5 championship thing. You can take it as serious as you want, but my point was that it's APPEAL is primarily to the casual gamer, and while Blizzard has done a great job at adding end-game content, I think they still cater to the casuals.

No, blizzard is just trying to take the most unnecessary things (grinding) out of the genre, while letting most people enjoy the content they spent all their money making. At the same time, the only WoW servers worth playing on if you are a raider are the RP realms, because the people don't ruin the raid/dungeon experience for themselves.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Renevent42

I can assure you my time begrudgingly spent in WoW is in the months of logged-in gaming, and this is coming from a very experienced MMO background. You may not see how it's a game on rails, but that doesn't change the fact :P Since you've played UO (not sure at what time), compare the PvP scenes in UO and in WoW, and that's a pretty plain as day way to begin seeing how WoW is a game on rails.

I never said that WoW was casual for everyone, I have an a friend who takes it way too serious, and I know of some online buds in the UK who were practicing for some 5v5 championship thing. You can take it as serious as you want, but my point was that it's APPEAL is primarily to the casual gamer, and while Blizzard has done a great job at adding end-game content, I think they still cater to the casuals.UOStock

Yes, there are certain games that do certain thing better, but the over all picture is not like what you describe. It's a huge exaggeration on your part. I have played all sorts of MMO's, and while I wouldn't say WoW is the deepest game of the bunch it's definitely not the puddle deep hamster fest you would have us believe.

UOStock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 UOStock
I apologize if my summary of WoW may be slightly exaggerated, but if you look at the big picture, without loving and playing the game like I (believe) you do, it really is on point to a large degree.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Renevent42
I haven't played the game in like 3 years, and I have no intention of ever doing so again. Personally I am sick of all current MMO's...the gameplay is too similar between them all (for the most part).
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Um look at Aion its getting close to WoW player numbers. And with there next DX Update they will be doing its gonna be insane! :D
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
Um look at Aion its getting close to WoW player numbers. And with there next DX Update they will be doing its gonna be insane! :DHekynn
aion ? dude r u jokin ? it reached 3.5 mil subscribers and now they are loosing that number , why ? coz the game doesnt have good end game or balanced pvp , just what u can expect from ncsoft ... the main reason it got this number is because they overhyped the game and polished it , but thats not enough ... standart asian grindfest mmo cant actualy be a good game . aw and also 70% of subscribers are from asia , NA abandoned the game already , Europe is loosing the interest also ...
Jermone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jermone123
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

[QUOTE="jwsoul"][QUOTE="myke2010"]

zomglolcats

You know I think they are going to come out with more of that in Blizzards next MMO... I really think they are going to pull out all the stops. For instance... guild halls or player homes. WoW fans have been asking for that for a while now and know why we didn't get it? Cuz they are saving it for their next MMO. I really think they are saving a lot of these good ideas for the next MMO. Really bringing the world more to life. That will just make it more addicting. Again, like we said its about socializing and there are many more ways to increase the socialization in an MMO that we will see in this next game of Blizzards.

Blizzard knows they literatly have billions riding on this next MMO. Expect this game to be the most epic game by far ever released. I just don't even see anyone competeing with Blizzard in the mmo genre once this next game is out. If you think WoW doiminates now... this next mmo will dominate so bad it wont even be funny. Think about how much money they made off wow. Now think about how much money they have to invest into the next mmo. Hell, take one month of sales and stick that to the development of ther next game and that is just a ludicrus amount. Anyway don't expect this next mmo until 2014-2015

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

There is no way that game is going to come close to WoW. Many many people do not like Star Wars. That is a niche crowd. MMO's are all about mass. Attract as many people as you can. That is why they went with fantasy. It works... Blizzard was even quoated in saying their next MMO is going to be more broad. Broad is something that Star wars is not.

Jermone123

Star wars is niche?! You got to be kidding. It has a far broader appeal than Warcraft could ever dream.... if that appeal will translate into subscriptions only time will tell.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Birdy09

[QUOTE="zomglolcats"][QUOTE="jwsoul"] Exactly i almost fell to sleep playing Aion and Warhammer online just WOW clones plain and simple. A new Approach is needed. Jermone123

You know I think they are going to come out with more of that in Blizzards next MMO... I really think they are going to pull out all the stops. For instance... guild halls or player homes. WoW fans have been asking for that for a while now and know why we didn't get it? Cuz they are saving it for their next MMO. I really think they are saving a lot of these good ideas for the next MMO. Really bringing the world more to life. That will just make it more addicting. Again, like we said its about socializing and there are many more ways to increase the socialization in an MMO that we will see in this next game of Blizzards.

Blizzard knows they literatly have billions riding on this next MMO. Expect this game to be the most epic game by far ever released. I just don't even see anyone competeing with Blizzard in the mmo genre once this next game is out. If you think WoW doiminates now... this next mmo will dominate so bad it wont even be funny. Think about how much money they made off wow. Now think about how much money they have to invest into the next mmo. Hell, take one month of sales and stick that to the development of ther next game and that is just a ludicrus amount. Anyway don't expect this next mmo until 2014-2015

Why are you praising Blizzard so much? yes theyve done great in the past, but now they just do everything for the addiction factor and $$$.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
[QUOTE="Jermone123"]

[QUOTE="zomglolcats"] You know, I want an MMO where it's acrtually part of a living world. If someone wants to be a farmer, and sell things to people, they should be able to play the entire game that way. I hate how WoW and games like that completely pigeonhole the way you can play the game. Kill, loot, level, rinse, repeat. I would love a game where you take part in an interactive world, whether it be as a trader, craftsman, or adventurer. Hell, SWG even had politicians.Birdy09

Why are you praising Blizzard so much? yes theyve done great in the past, but now they just do everything for the addiction factor and $$$.

Everyone in the gaming industry is doing it for the money....
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="Jermone123"]

mirgamer

Everyone in the gaming industry is doing it for the money....

No really? I never guessed! Thats not the point though, Blizzard have made the perfect MMO? excuse me what? its a MMO version of diablo, with one focis.... pinnatta easy bosses for eddictive random loot, its such a pigeon holed game its unbelievable. Then we have Starcraft 2 ... nostalgia/hype praying average looking game.... thats been delayed 3 years in a row now? dont get me started on Bnet.2.0 ... whoa great blizz you finally caught up :roll:. Its ridiculous. WoW is such a pigeon holed MMO I just consider it Diablo with a virtual 3d lobby pretty much.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer620"]WoW has PLENTY of competition... it just happens to be that WoW perrfected the formula and people don't like to start over, thus games like Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, City of Heroes and Aion don't take off like WoW did. These are all games that looked to profit from the success of WoW, and all they profited from (if they profited at all) was from the small minority that have since gotten bored with WoW and wanted something fresh. (i wouldn't be surprised if most of them went on to Eve Online, which is a much different type of MMO)mrbojangles25

not true

a lot of people are tired of WoW and would love to start over. Why do you think we are looking forward to Cataclysm? its an excuse to start over :)

if other MMOs had half the content, polish, and support that WoW had they'd be successful.

You missed my point...

yes... Cataclysm is NEW TO WOW, thus people will start over in WoW, because they are familiar with WoW.

It is only your opinion that the other games are not as polished as WoW. Warhammer Online, Age of Conan and AION are fantastic games in their own rights, they are DIFFERENT FROM WOW however. No one wants to start over in unfamiliar territory, especially when they have commited so much already. WoW perfected the formula first. Doesn't mean the competition doesn't exist.

gosmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 gosmo
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts

This whole thread is hilarious. I don't even know where to begin. I'll keep this short and simple. There is ALOT competition for WoW, but since developers insist on copying an already made MMO, every MMO feels like a crappy substitute to WoW. I have played my fair share of WoW, I got tired of it. Developers need to make their own version of an MMO, not Blizzards. But, saying there is no competition is outrageous and makes you sound ill informed.

So OP, IDK what you are smoking. And also, don't get me started on the penny pinchers you all call Blizzard.

Edit: Also, WoW is just a bandwagon, nothing more.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Guild Wars 2, not even a true MMO (actually it may be much closer to one than the original), is going to knock WoW off of its lofty perch for good.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Why do one have to make a "WoW-killer" in the first place? An MMO is supposed to be a game where people who are drawn to the setting of the game can play and socialize, granted one can try to improve and see if that can top a rival but that shouldn't be it's main reason. Star Wars: The Old Republic will have a large amount of player in it because of three things, For starters Star Wars got a huge fan base all over the world, both those that are die hard fans and those that just think the series is pretty neat. If it will "kill" wow doesn't matter as there are already die hard fans of WoW and people might prefer WoW over Star Wars. The same can be said about Aion, Star Trek, Guild Wars 2 and even those " Non-traditional" MMO's such as APB. That said WoW has competition and will only recieve heavier competition over the following years, Thinking otherwise is naive.
Avatar image for deactivated-5926b7362eeb7
deactivated-5926b7362eeb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-5926b7362eeb7
Member since 2009 • 126 Posts

Because those playing WoW have already investing a ludicrous amount of time into their online persona and would probably feel lost if they had to start again and as such are more likely to quit MMO's altogether than switch to another.

Those who have already quit playing WoW probably hate the genre now because of the ludicrous amount of time they've put into an online persona that ultimately gave them nothing and they now curse the few years of their life they lost to it.

I played WoW for a very long time. (About 3 1/2 years, from release, I quit after the 2nd expac) Its time I'll never get back, and the best things I got out of playing it, I could have got from facebook or any other kind of online community.

WoW is an addictive poison, I liken it to smoking cigarettes. Deceivingly enjoyable while it slowly kills you

Danzg49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 Danzg49
Member since 2010 • 138 Posts
I thought Age of Conan to be the superior MMO to WoW. After it's expansions WoW really lost it's wow factor for me. If you have a good enough computer to run it, you should really look into AoC.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

[QUOTE="Jermone123"]

[QUOTE="NanoMan88"]

WOW has entrenched itself already. There are too many people out there who have commited themselves to their characters, their guild, their friends who play WOW. Its sort of hard to uproot a huge community and move them somewhere else. People have pride in reaching level 80 in WOW and dont want to do it again (which is sort of sad to have pride in that). Also WOW has had time to be extremely polished and have alot of content, while no mmo regardless of how good it is will have as much content as WOW overnight. Also WOW runs on almost any computer, making all those people with ghetto PCs still able to play it.

Now when we break it down

New MMOs cannot compete in GFX department because good graphics=higher specs= restricing large audiences who dont have good rigs

New MMOs cannot compete with content because WOW has had over 5 years to add content

I particularly dont like WOW, I would like it to die already so we dont get so many damn MMOs copying the WOW formula and in the end being a failed WOW clone.

mrbojangles25

I do agree with you, but I think people are looking for something different. Its just nobody has given them a good enough reason to leave WoW. I think it is very possible to do that. Blizzard is making a new MMO to protect there customers. They know WoW is getting old and that millions of people won't be playing it forever. So they wanna say "Ok you wanna leave WoW? You want something different? Well, play this new MMO we have." They want THE NEXT MMO to be their MMO. The purpose of this post was to ask why? Why does THE NEXT MMO have to be from Blizzard? Why won't anyone else step up to the plate?

All I want is an MMOFPSRPG hybrid. Tabula Rasa was fun, but unfortunately poorly executed.

there are so many genres that would go well with the MMO prefix, its not even funny

Look up a game called Darkfall Online.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

The fact that WoW has so many subscribers compared to the competition is not the fault of any game developers. It's the fault of the players. There are plenty of fun, innovative, MMORPGS with few bugs and great endgames, but not a lot of people play them compared to WoW. Personally, I don't see WoW's appeal. I have played a good number of much more fun MMORPGS than WoW. Currently, I'm playing Darkfall Online and having more fun with the PvP aspect than I ever had before with any other MMORPG.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#97 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I am just shocked that there is not stronger competition for wow. You would think developers all over would be clammering to make a good mmo after seeing the INSANE profits that Blizzard's single game turns out. Millions of people paying $15 dollar a month. Month after month. That is a lot of dough. Think about it. The profits that Blizzard receives from WoW are so astronomical compared to even best selling games like Modern Warfare 2. I read a report that modern warfare 2 hit over 1 billion in sales in january. Impressive indeed, but WoW makes over 100 million dollars... A MONTH!! Oh, and they have been doing it for more than what now? 5 Years? That does not even include the sales from the games itself, WoW, Burning Crusade, and WOTLK. Also, all the merchandise they sell. Add that all up and nothing compares to the sales of World of Warcraft.

So why is it that a 5 year old game only gets competition from NCsoft? Who the hell is NCsoft? lol I just can't believe some of the big name developers are not all over this. Really? Everyone is just going to leave this HUGE peice of pie to Blizzard? Why? The profit potential is insane yet no big names are trying to take advantage of this. Very very odd indeed. So now what? Well, its almost too late. Blizzard is going to win again with the new MMO they are currently working on. Unless another big name is already working on something we don't know about. After personally seeing the success story of World of Warcraft unvail I really thought MMO'S were the future of PC gaming. Constantly we hear of dwindling sales on the PC and how consoles are taking over. MMO's are are one weapon of the PC that consoles can not have and the sales potential of the genre have been exposed by Blizzard. Yet we still do not see the proper investment into the genre and it just totally baffles me. :o Mark my word... Blizzards next MMO will have the largest amount of money invested into it then any other game probably 5x over.

Jermone123
There's several reasons why no other game has come close to WoW's success: Money, experience and time. While the official numbers haven't been released I've spoken to people who worked on WoW before launch. Wow is the most expensive game ever released. It cose more than Halo 3 or MW2 or... any other title. No one else really have the resources or courage to invest that much on what is essentially a gamble. WoW kept spending until they felt the game was truly finished and it shows. It's by far the most polished MMO game out there. While people without industry experience might ask 'why don't other just'. The aswer is that it's not a mater of 'just' anything, it's a matter of a mind blowing amounts of money time and even then it still requires a huge team of world class game design talent to achive the level of polish on the scale and scope of a game like WoW. No one has ever done that. That's a big part of WoW's success. Now, in the original topic, you ask why no one is emulating WoW, given how successful they've been. Remember if a company saw wow's success a year or two after wow was released and started working then, they would only just be getting ready to launch the game now. That how long it takes to develop true top tier MMO's. As for the competition, there's plenty. Aside from NC Soft there's Sony Online Entertainment, Turbine, Cryptic, Mythic (part of EA now). The thing again is no one have yet been willing or able to invest as much money and time as Blizzard did. The only possible competitor in that regard is the upcoming Star Wars: Old Republic. It's being developed in the same fashion as WoW was (and none of the competing products was) in that they are throwing TONS of money at it and they are willling to delay it for years (while continuing to throw more money at it). The game is backed by some of the strongest brands in the world (Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic, BioWare). But with all that said, there are tons of MMO's out there that are doing very well. Eve with it's couple of hundred thousand subscribers is a huge hit. Old games like EverQuest and Ultima Online are still going and still making money, LotR has achived quite a bit of success and spawned a couple of expansions. Just because an MMO doesn't hit millions of subscribers doesn't mean that it's not successful. That's like saying a beer brewery is a failure if it doesn't compete directly with Budweiser for sales. WoW is the biggest, most polished and easiest to get into. But if you look beyond WoW there's some very interesting, innovative and creative MMO's out there. From Eve and it's huge open world universe, Pirates of the Burning Seas with with a pretty interesting ship to ship combat and land control mechanic, to 'rough around the edges' Fallen Earth with it's post apocalyptic.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#98 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Guild Wars 2, not even a true MMO (actually it may be much closer to one than the original), is going to knock WoW off of its lofty perch for good.

AFBrat77

My good old buddy brat. :)

Plus no online fees to boot!

Well, whether or not that happens or not is still yet to be seen, but I know one thing I will definately be playing it and I'm optimistic that it will be awesome. Hope so.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Renevent42

AFBrat77
How much do you want to bet it wont? Not that I am not looking forward to GW2...I am...but that's really wishful thinking on your part.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

To the guy that said Starwars is a niche, you must be nuts!! The Starwars franchies is one of the biggest in the world. Knight of the Old Republic, which The Old Republic is based off has a huge fan base, and the game is being produced by Bioware probs the best game designer in the world. So take Starwars Rep /KOTOR Rep/ Bioware Rep and you got a pretty solid WoW rivial.