Why did Max Payne 2 sell so badly? (56K Haters warning, stay awayy!!)

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

A great game, better than its predecessor, it received some strong reviews so what went wrong?

The only thing I think might have strayed people from it was all the talk about the length of the game - 6 hours some said with no Multiplayer.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I've no idea but my friend told me that it doesn't look so different from the original.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
No one knows:o
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 biggest_loser

I've no idea but my friend told me that it doesn't look so different from the original.thusaha

Cutscenes looks better, more motion blur effects. Surely the graphics wouldn't be the reason. They were excellent!

We have to solve one of gamings great mysteries. It is like our version of the DaVinci Code!

spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts
Probably because it was too short, too easy and the storyline was not as captivating as in the first game.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Probably because it was too short, too easy and the storyline was not as captivating as in the first game.spierdalaj666

Agreed. I find it funny that I just started to play it again for PC. Im like half way done with it. I guess I wanted to see how off the max payne movie was. It was way off with a lot of stuff and didnt dive into the real inner demons max was facing when his family was killed.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Appeal? Perhaps?

You know, cop drama, comic-book style story presentation, "a film noir love story", 3rd person, etc. It all sounds like a fairly dull mix to be honest. It's definitely not the type of game I would normally follow with great interest, or be at the top of my wish list.

Of course, if the original Max Payne outsold the sequel considerably, then appeal likely didn't have as much to do with it. Fortunately, the appeal from the initial outset for me anyway is rather misplaced because these are terrific games!!! ;)

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 biggest_loser

Probably because it was too short, too easy and the storyline was not as captivating as in the first game.spierdalaj666

I disagreed with all of that. Be gone.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I think it was because the game play was the same as the game play in the first one. On top of that the gameplay was never very good or interesting. Bullet time was a neat concept but the gun play never really worked that well.

People played the game for the story, the atmosphere and the novelty of it. There novelty was gone in the second game. The atmosphere was the same, the story had some new twists but was the same type and style.

Overall Max Payne for all the good elements was a game that grew old very quickly. I think people already had enough max payne to fill them up by the time the second one arrived.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 biggest_loser

I think it was because the game play was the same as the game play in the first one. On top of that the gameplay was never very good or interesting. Bullet time was a neat concept but the gun play never really worked that well.

Mazoch

Thats just blatantly wrong. If it wasn't good or interesting then the games together wouldn't have sold 7 million units and other games (ironically in particular The Matrix game) wouldn't have tried to copy the formula and style of Max Payne.

Few Third Person games possess the style and precision of Max Payne.

People played the game for the story, the atmosphere and the novelty of it. There novelty was gone in the second game. The atmosphere was the same, the story had some new twists but was the same type and style.

Overall Max Payne for all the good elements was a game that grew old very quickly. I think people already had enough max payne to fill them up by the time the second one arrived.

Mazoch

If that were the case then people wouldn't be rushing out to buy the likes of Halo 2 and GEOW.

I wouldn't regard any of the elements of Max Payne as novel either...

biltros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 biltros
Member since 2006 • 358 Posts
Actually Max Payne 1 & 2 are my favourite games.Back then i remember Rockstar stating something about piracy.But I'm not so sure though.Maybe a little more advertising was required.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 biggest_loser

Actually Max Payne 1 & 2 are my favourite games.Back then i remember Rockstar stating something about piracy.But I'm not so sure though.Maybe a little more advertising was required.biltros

I think thats probably more likely. The second game came out a lot sooner than people thought - 2 years, whereas the first game took 5 years to make.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

A great game, better than its predecessor, it received some strong reviews so what went wrong?

The only thing I think might have strayed people from it was all the talk about the length of the game - 6 hours some said with no Multiplayer.

biggest_loser

i enjoyed max payne 2. but only because i had not played max payne 1 (although i played the demo) or anything so this was a new type of gameplay, however most people who would go to buy max payne 2 might well have played the original, and the gameplay is near IDENTICAL to the first, the differences (shootdodge doesnt take up stuff/energy/bullet time whatever, bullet time gets marginally slower, cinematic kills which isnt even gameplay. thats all the ones i can think of) are minimal and pointless.

the sequel to a great game (or so i have heard) deserves better play, its the same freaking game with a neat touch or two and better graphics!

how can anyone really expect it to sell well??

i cannot comment on the story because

1. i dont know what it is from the original, just a tale of revenge it seems

2. the story in the mp2 confused the hell out of me (this may not have been a common problem, but i take a long time playing games, taking breaks in between and such so maybe this is why i found it difficult to keep up)

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

If it wasn't good or interesting then the games together wouldn't have sold 7 million units and other games (ironically in particular The Matrix game) wouldn't have tried to copy the formula and style of Max Payne.biggest_loser

7 million, that's impressive and wouldn't have guessed it. Any idea of the breakdown, in particular on the PC-side of sales? It really is mysterious if there was a steep drop after the original.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

[QUOTE="thusaha"]I've no idea but my friend told me that it doesn't look so different from the original.biggest_loser

Cutscenes looks better, more motion blur effects. Surely the graphics wouldn't be the reason. They were excellent!

We have to solve one of gamings great mysteries. It is like our version of the DaVinci Code!

Same like with the No One Lives forever series.

Some great game series just stops because some people would rather play generic stuff like Halo.

Personally, i consider Stranglehold to be a kind of Max Payne 3. Sure it dosnt have the dark themes, but i enjoyed the gameplay as much as Max Payne, so when we dont have a new max payne game then Stranglehold is a fine substitute.

crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crazyfist36
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts
The petition for a AAA Max Payne 3 should start here.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] If it wasn't good or interesting then the games together wouldn't have sold 7 million units and other games (ironically in particular The Matrix game) wouldn't have tried to copy the formula and style of Max Payne.Nitrous2O

7 million, that's impressive and wouldn't have guessed it. Any idea of the breakdown, in particular on the PC-side of sales? It really is mysterious if there was a steep drop after the original.

I just read that in the newspaper during a review of that movie with Mark Wahlberg of the same name *cough*

biltros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 biltros
loser you are mean....the same name....that's just mean
1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
Both Max Payne 1 and 2 were brilliant - short but brilliant and original. I wish there was a multiplayer. Loved the game on the PC, great graphics, great gameplay, great story and it had its funny moments too. Sigh, makes me depressed thinking about how such a great game didn't sell well.
biltros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 biltros
I was reffering to your comment "...a review of that movie with Mark Wahlberg of the same name...".Actually i agree with your review of the movie.A little off-topic but Ludacris playing Bravura??Anyway...
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

[QUOTE="spierdalaj666"]Probably because it was too short, too easy and the storyline was not as captivating as in the first game.biggest_loser

i just honestly enjoyed max payne 1 better than 2, captivated me more, but that being said...

i played max payne one on pc, and max payne two on xbox.

so that may have had something to do with it...

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 biggest_loser

I was reffering to your comment "...a review of that movie with Mark Wahlberg of the same name...".Actually i agree with your review of the movie.A little off-topic but Ludacris playing Bravura??Anyway...biltros

Yes I realised eventually which was why I deleted that comment.

I'm glad you agree with the review. Thank you. That film was just a cash in on the brand name.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="spierdalaj666"]Probably because it was too short, too easy and the storyline was not as captivating as in the first game.Lach0121

i just honestly enjoyed max payne 1 better than 2, captivated me more, but that being said...

Yes try playing the PC version. I guess its a little late now though.

Why wouldn't you get it on PC?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Lach0121"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="spierdalaj666"]Probably because it was too short, too easy and the storyline was not as captivating as in the first game.biggest_loser

Yes try playing the PC version. I guess its a little late now though.

Why wouldn't you get it on PC?

well at the time, my pc was unable to play games lol, lets just say unfortunate accident lol.

i mean i can always get it cheap off of amazon.com... i mean it isnt that old.... duke nukem 3d yeah thats kinda old.

and the max payne movie wasnt really all that good, not to me, mark did ok as max, its just the movie seemed a little watered down compared to the games.

JohnnySpeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JohnnySpeedy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Because the first one was so popular and so good that the gamers didn't need a sequel to it. But they don't know what they missed, Max Payne 2 is twice as good as Max Payne 1 and it deserves so much attention, it deserves a modding community, and it deserves to be apprecieted much more than it is.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mimic-Denmark

[QUOTE="biltros"]I was reffering to your comment "...a review of that movie with Mark Wahlberg of the same name...".Actually i agree with your review of the movie.A little off-topic but Ludacris playing Bravura??Anyway...biggest_loser

I'm glad you agree with the review. Thank you. That film was just a cash in on the brand name.

And a pretty bad one at that too actually.

Max Payne was some great games, but not many people know of the games.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="biltros"]I was reffering to your comment "...a review of that movie with Mark Wahlberg of the same name...".Actually i agree with your review of the movie.A little off-topic but Ludacris playing Bravura??Anyway...mimic-Denmark

7 million people do.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mimic-Denmark
[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="biltros"]I was reffering to your comment "...a review of that movie with Mark Wahlberg of the same name...".Actually i agree with your review of the movie.A little off-topic but Ludacris playing Bravura??Anyway...biggest_loser

7 million people do.

That number should be much higher based on the quality of those games.

Imagine the movie was called halo :)

crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 crazyfist36
maybe some new console came out and people abandoned the pc and lost out on max payne 2.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 biggest_loser

maybe some new console came out and people abandoned the pc and lost out on max payne 2.crazyfist36

It was released on Xbox and Playstation 2 as well.

*Taps crazyfist36 on shoulder*

Excuse me sir, ahem, yes I believe JokeSchool1004 is just down the far corridor. Yes that way. Right down there.

regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

I just finished playing both of them (again) and I have to say that the 2nd is not as good (in translation: I don't like it as much) as the first game. Reasons:

-In MP1 you could follow your track on the news, on TV or radio, who you killed and so on. That was a neat feature and I was always looking forward to the next breaking news. ("Max Payne at large")

-In the first the atmosphere is more "noir"-like, probably because they left the comic strips in black-white, and did not add the blue and other colors like in MP2.

-Humor in MP1 was original and more conservatory, not ruining the overall noir atmosphere (scattered pieces like the Captain Baseball-bat Boy, or the moment when he had one of his dream sequences and the mesages on the table said: Max, you're in a comic book strip or Max, you're in a videogame | I ROFLed every time when I saw this, you have to see it to understand) Though, MP2 has it's funny moments, mainly with the TV shows (Lords and Ladies, Adress Unknown, Captain Dick something...; by the way I've seen them all), but it's more like their trying to copy those memorable moments from the first one.

-Mona Sax looks like a whore. Well, this is about tastes, mainly, but I didn't understand how you can get in love with such a person. Also made me hate Max Payne himself, betraying his wife... How could he?! I mean the developers made the game solely on this relation (Sax-Payne), gets kind of boring with time how he's always searching her for answers and all.

-In the second there were no V addicts or occult elements, and thw world is pretty generic. Also Mafia has a small role - not so good for a noir game.

Generally speaking the games are both great. The difference is that MP2 is closer to what we'd call a commercial product and MP1 - an artistic product.Gameplay is practicaly identical, with minor tweaks in the 2nd.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
By badly, how many units are we talking about here? I never played a Max Payne game in my life, only because I was late to the Xbox scene. Hearing from many readers and fans, I hear Max Payne has a devoted hardcore fan base. Cheers.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lach0121

I just finished playing both of them (again) and I have to say that the 2nd is not as good (in translation: I don't like it as much) as the first game. Reasons:

-In MP1 you could follow your track on the news, on TV or radio, who you killed and so on. That was a neat feature and I was always looking forward to the next breaking news. ("Max Payne at large")

-In the first the atmosphere is more "noir"-like, probably because they left the comic strips in black-white, and did not add the blue and other colors like in MP2.

-Humor in MP1 was original and more conservatory, not ruining the overall noir atmosphere (scattered pieces like the Captain Baseball-bat Boy, or the moment when he had one of his dream sequences and the mesages on the table said: Max, you're in a comic book strip or Max, you're in a videogame | I ROFLed every time when I saw this, you have to see it to understand) Though, MP2 has it's funny moments, mainly with the TV shows (Lords and Ladies, Adress Unknown, Captain Dick something...; by the way I've seen them all), but it's more like their trying to copy those memorable moments from the first one.

-Mona Sax looks like a whore. Well, this is about tastes, mainly, but I didn't understand how you can get in love with such a person. Also made me hate Max Payne himself, betraying his wife... How could he?! I mean the developers made the game solely on this relation (Sax-Payne), gets kind of boring with time how he's always searching her for answers and all.

-In the second there were no V addicts or occult elements, and thw world is pretty generic. Also Mafia has a small role - not so good for a noir game.

Generally speaking the games are both great. The difference is that MP2 is closer to what we'd call a commercial product and MP1 - an artistic product.Gameplay is practicaly identical, with minor tweaks in the 2nd.

regnumekal
kinda like halo 1 and halo2. well to me anyways.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 biggest_loser

regnumekal

MP2 used a similar device in that the TV shows represented what was happening in the game, like the Soap Opera showing the characters betrayling one another, etc.

regnumekal

MP2 is just as Noir but it takes a different angle. Where the first game was a revenge story, MP2 focuses mostly on the Femme Fatale convention of Noir through Mona Sax. Love stories are rarely touched upon in games and when they are it normally involves D Cups. At least this was much more mature.

regnumekal

I don't think it recycles jokes. I already explained what I thought about the purpose of the TV shows this time around.

regnumekal

I think he loves her because he knows what she feels. He doesn't have that with anyone else in his life. Mona's sister Lisa was murdered and he reflects on that saying:

"I couldn't tell whether it was Mona or her sister, the
body was a mess. The sick bastard had really gotten a
kick out of it. Seeing her lying there got me thinking
about another woman's body on another bed. Got me
thinking about a fallen cradle."
They know each others pain. But I also think its the temptation for a cop to be on the other side of the law etc. 

Why would there be? V is dead. Its all about the Mafia really.

Who do you think attacks the restaurant? Vlads ties to the mob. The Cleaners are essentially gangsters.

[QUOTE="regnumekal"]

The difference is that MP2 is closer to what we'd call a commercial product and MP1 - an artistic product.Gameplay is practicaly identical, with minor tweaks in the 2nd.

regnumekal

I don't know what you mean by that. I really don't. A commerical product? I'm pretty sure MP1 actually got more hype and adveritising than MP2...so yeah...I think that sounds like something you just made up....maybe?

The tweaks to bullet time make a huge difference to how you play from the first game IMO.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 biggest_loser

regnumekal

MP2 used a similar device in that the TV shows represented what was happening in the game, like the Soap Opera showing the characters betrayling one another, etc.

regnumekal

MP2 is just as Noir but it takes a different angle. Where the first game was a revenge story, MP2 focuses mostly on the Femme Fatale convention of Noir through Mona Sax. Love stories are rarely touched upon in games and when they are it normally involves D Cups. At least this was much more mature.

regnumekal

I don't think it recycles jokes. I already explained what I thought about the purpose of the TV shows this time around.

regnumekal

I think he loves her because he knows what she feels. He doesn't have that with anyone else in his life. Mona's sister Lisa was murdered and he reflects on that saying:

They know each others pain. But I also think its the temptation for a cop to be on the other side of the law etc. 

regnumekal

Who do you think attacks the restaurant? Vlads ties to the mob. The Cleaners are essentially gangsters.

The difference is that MP2 is closer to what we'd call a commercial product and MP1 - an artistic product.Gameplay is practicaly identical, with minor tweaks in the 2nd.

regnumekal

I don't know what you mean by that. I really don't. A commerical product? I'm pretty sure MP1 actually got more hype and adveritising than MP2...so yeah...I think that sounds like something you just made up....maybe?

The tweaks to bullet time make a huge difference to how you play from the first game IMO.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
Point that same question to Myth 2: Soulblighter :(.
s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
Who told you it sold badly ? if it really did.. it might've been because of other great titles in the year 2003-04 like FarCry, HL2, COD, Doom & few others. the game's lenght was the biggest weakness.. Otherwise MaxPayne2 is a game that deserved 10/10 imo.. one of the greatest games ever made!
regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

MP2 used a similar device in that the TV shows represented what was happening in the game, like the Soap Opera showing the characters betrayling one another, etc. biggest_loser

I don't think that soap opera can compare with the news that's directly showing what have you done. Two different concepts: world fame or individual interpretation.

MP2 is just as Noir but it takes a different angle. Where the first game was a revenge story, MP2 focuses mostly on the Femme Fatale convention of Noir through Mona Sax. Love stories are rarely touched upon in games and when they are it normally involves D Cups. At least this was much more mature. biggest_loser

Maybe, but that has nothing with colors. I don't mind the storyline, I'm saying that there's no original atmosphere. Personally, don't know about others, I identify "noir" with "lack "of colors.

biggest_loser

The hidden purpose of the jokes is obvious, and it was used in the same manner in both games, but only in the 1st I actually laughed, that considering the fact that just some time ago Max Payne loses both - his wife and his kid.

They know each others pain. But I also think its the temptation for a cop to be on the other side of the law etc. biggest_loser
I don't think he loves her though, just searching for a person to forget... or to remember...

Who do you think attacks the restaurant? Vlads ties to the mob. The Cleaners are essentially gangsters.biggest_loser

Yes, V's dead! That's the point. You don't see junkies, nor mobsters. Just some cleaners... Yes, they may be gangsters, but I'm talking about the Italian Mafia. In the first there's Gognitti, Lupini, those brothers and the Don, also Don's trio. Vlad on the other hand, is a member of the inner circle, that doesn't really count. Again this is about atmosphere and environment.

biggest_loser

Look dude, I'm talking about art. Like in real life: there's for example Rembrandt's painting (this is art) and then there's a photo which is even better in details, realism and light. But the sad thing is that this photo isn't art. It's just not art...a mere picture...

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
I love that game. I think MP2 was the first to have Havoc physics wasn't it?
Emilyek_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Emilyek_1
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I love Max Payne 2 also. It's awesome. I'm almost embarassed to say it, but it is easily in my top 10 games ever.

I played the sequel first, but recently played MP1.

In terms of design MP2 is exactly what a sequel should be: it fixes the faults of the first game while it keeps the good stuf and stays true to the essentials.

I guess the story of the first one might be better since it was first, but, technically MP2 is superior, and it is defintley the better product when taken as a whole.

And the game still looks good.

What has always been impressive to me is how cleanly the game runs; the engine and world design is beautifully optimized, especially for a cross platformer.

I don't know why it didn't sell well. Perhaps because it was marketed to consolers as a John Woo action title (remember the TV commercials?), which it isn't exactly.

xNJN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xNJN
Member since 2006 • 1374 Posts

Here's my input:

Sequels to anything are usually garbage, especially sequels to stories that are great. That said Max Payne was great. It was a pinnacle in gaming history. Max Payne was so good, that when Max Payne 2 came out, I refused to buy it. I still refuse to buy it. It doesn't make sense that there'd be a sequel to begin with. The ending to Max Payne was priceless and was in no need for a sequel.

I didn't buy Max Payne 2 because Max Payne the original is timeless.

biltros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 biltros

Here's my input:

Sequels to anything are usually garbage, especially sequels to stories that are great. That said Max Payne was great. It was a pinnacle in gaming history. Max Payne was so good, that when Max Payne 2 came out, I refused to buy it. I still refuse to buy it. It doesn't make sense that there'd be a sequel to begin with. The ending to Max Payne was priceless and was in no need for a sequel.

xNJN

lol?

crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crazyfist36

Here's my input:

xNJN

hey biggestloser theres your answer.thinking like this led to the downfall of max payne 2.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Max Payne 2 kicked some serious ass. One of the first games out there to introduce Havok.
bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#46 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
I have both Max Payne 1 and 2 and personally I think I like the 1st one better. Both are great though. I don't get why it sold so badly either. The 2nd one I think improved in the bullet time, and the story wasn't as good as the first one, but it was still great filled with great dialogue and one-liners. Even though it was short, it still in my opinion has good replayability. Lots of mods for it, and I also like to go back and use cheats (unlimited molotov cocktails FTW).
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

Here's my input:

xNJN

Wow...That is insensible to the extreme.

succulent_toes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 succulent_toes
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts

Sequels to anything are usually garbage, especially sequels to stories that are great.

xNJN

That's actually not true for games. Many of the greatest games of all time are sequels; in fact, they often surpass the original.

TF2, BG2, Front Page Sports: Football Pro '95, Fallout 2, Dune 2, WC2, Diablo 2, SS2, Doom 2, Quake 2, HL2, NOLF2, Links 386, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (which, admittedly, is actually Dark Forces 3, I guess), Sam & Max Season 2, Unreal Tournament 2004 *pretends 2003 never happened*, and many, many more. And yes, MP2 did MP one better, imho.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
i never finished 2 but part 1 was amazing on xbox
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
wait.....7 million? where did you get that figure? becoz last time i checked the entire Max Payne series didn't really do all that great in terms of sales. which i find it surprising, becoz i absolutely love the series and have never met a soul who doesn't. :(