WH:Space Marine thoughts?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I recently tried the demo and I must say, I'm impressed! I especially LOVE the jump pack.

I'm actually happy that the game turned out this way... sure it feels consolized, but the PC controls are just fine. (consolized graphics wise since you can't really tweak anything). I have this preordered already (got it 40$ and came with Darksiders :D).

Has anyone else tried the demo and what are your thoughts on it?

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
The prevailing notion is that if you enjoyed Darksiders, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Space Marine.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 trastamad03

I don't know... Darksiders felt like Zelda, and this felt like Gears + God of War (minus the cover system)

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

I didn't know there was a demo out. Will try now, thanks TC!

Edit: What the? The demo button is on Steam, but it won't download. I Googled to find demo and many article states that the demo will be released on Aug 23. Where did you download?

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Edit: What the? The demo button is on Steam, but it won't download. I Googled to find demo and many article states that the demo will be released on Aug 23. Where did you download?

flipin_jackass

Right now that demo on Steam is exclusive for people who preordered(which makes zero sense considering that a demo is designed to get people to buy a game) until the 23.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
The prevailing notion is that if you enjoyed Darksiders, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Space Marine.MythPro1
lol oh...ok. Well. Hopefully the multiplayer is also something worth playing.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Right now that demo on Steam is exclusive for people who preordered(which makes zero sense considering that a demo is designed to get people to buy a game) until the 23.

Phoenix534

*rage* :evil:

...I think can hold off until Tuesday though. Thanks anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
What I hope for this game is to go the Marvel Ultimate Alliance path rather thant he God of War path when it came to development and choices.. The first had tons of replay value.. The second had not so much.. I am hoping for a moderately in depth rpg system to the point there are several different ways that you can develope your character to play differently from one playthrough to the next.. Based on what they did with Dawn of War 2, that hopfully is what they are going.. Dawn of War 2 had a few ways you could play the characters for each one..
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trastamad03
I recorded the Jump jet part of the demo... Gameplay will be up on YouTube shortly :D
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Looked interesting at e3..Just hope its not all the same setting..Kind of looked rehashed areas..Hopefully its not that way..Darksiders was cool im hearing its kind of like that game..With a gears of war style type

STOCKMAN22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 STOCKMAN22
Member since 2010 • 415 Posts

we will have to wait 2 more days to find!. But from what i read in steam forums most people who played like it!. they it has very good controls with keyboard and mouse and also the graphics are good enough. Since it is the first action game by relic i didnt excpect much but after i saw the gameplay trailers i am excited about it.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Tried both scenarios in the Demo and I have to say it was entertaining,Quite happy that I pre-order bought it on Steam some time ago now.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trastamad03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtYkU8V57Y Here's the Gameplay footage of the Jump Jets part... Obviously if you want to play it yourself and don't want it to get spoiled (there are no story spoilers, so don't worry) then don't watch it. Also note, I suck at it :P Enjoy.
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtYkU8V57Y Here's the Gameplay footage of the Jump Jets part... Obviously if you want to play it yourself and don't want it to get spoiled (there are no story spoilers, so don't worry) then don't watch it. Also note, I suck at it :P Enjoy.

Great vid! I can't imagine how any anyone can say this game looks bad graphically...I even saw a guy post that he thought is was near ps2 quality :lol:
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]

Phoenix534

THIS

HOW EPIC FAIL is it to release a DEMO just for the people who are already buying the game...???

denter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 denter21
Member since 2003 • 1283 Posts

THIS

HOW EPIC FAIL is it to release a DEMO just for the people who are already buying the game...???

FelipeInside
Not really at all? It's a difference of 5 days.. Steam pre-order demo started 18th, everyone else 23rd. It's the same demo, just released a little earlier as a thank-you. Did you drop your anger meds behind the couch?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

THIS

denter21

Not really at all? It's a difference of 5 days.. Steam pre-order demo started 18th, everyone else 23rd. It's the same demo, just released a little earlier as a thank-you. Did you drop your anger meds behind the couch?

Not angry at all, lol.... :)

I just find it stupid that they release a DEMO to people who BOUGHT the game... don't you?

If you want a thank-you, give them a free ingame item or extra level or something.... why would they want to play the demo when they are getting the game a few days later...?

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="denter21"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

THIS

FelipeInside

I just find it stupid that they release a DEMO to people who BOUGHT the game... don't you?

If you want a thank-you, give them a free ingame item or extra level or something.... why would they want to play the demo when they are getting the game a few days later...?

Darksiders for free and the Blood Ravens skin in game. That and the demo is sick.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="denter21"] Not really at all? It's a difference of 5 days.. Steam pre-order demo started 18th, everyone else 23rd. It's the same demo, just released a little earlier as a thank-you. Did you drop your anger meds behind the couch? slimjimbadboy

Darksiders for free and the Blood Ravens skin in game. That and the demo is sick.

Ah yes, you get Darksiders for FREE. Fair enough then, the package is niceeee....
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trastamad03
[QUOTE="Evz0rz"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtYkU8V57Y Here's the Gameplay footage of the Jump Jets part... Obviously if you want to play it yourself and don't want it to get spoiled (there are no story spoilers, so don't worry) then don't watch it. Also note, I suck at it :P Enjoy.

Great vid! I can't imagine how any anyone can say this game looks bad graphically...I even saw a guy post that he thought is was near ps2 quality :lol:

The thing I liked about the graphics is that I looks like it's the RTS game... I don't mean like the polygon/texture quality, but the setting the environment the way the bullet cases are placed and what not.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trastamad03
[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

Ah yes, you get Darksiders for FREE. Fair enough then, the package is niceeee....

I also remember pre-ordering it at 40$.. maybe it was 50$ I can't recall correctly..but still, just the fact that with the price of 1 you get 2 great games is worth it.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

1.) Login to SpaceMarine.com
2.) Head on over to www.SpaceMarine.com/Demo
3.) Sign-in to your Steam Account.
4.) Select the "Games" option and in the drop down menu select "Active a product on Steam".
5.) Select "Next" and "AGREE" to the Steam Subscriber Agreement and enter the provided Product Code.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

I thought it was awesome, I love it even more cause I am 40k fan!

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Yeah, this game is pretty win. Curious to see how coop will work whenever they patch it in.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Baranga

Well I think it's crap. Poor controls with both m/kb and controller. The combat manages the feat of being a huge mess and unsatisfying at the same time. It just feels weak. The noisy visuals and audio chaos don't help at all. And the grenades don't work like in the RTS games but whatever.

I guess staying true to the license doesn't make a good action game after all.

Edit: Oh ****, Mark Strong voices the main character!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

Well I think it's crap. Poor controls with both m/kb and controller. The combat manages the feat of being a huge mess and unsatisfying at the same time. It just feels weak. The noisy visuals and audio chaos don't help at all. And the grenades don't work like in the RTS games but whatever.

Baranga
I have yet to try it... but I've been watching gameplay videos and it seems to me that the game will get a bit too repetitive a few levels down the road...???
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Baranga"]

FelipeInside
I have yet to try it... but I've been watching gameplay videos and it seems to me that the game will get a bit too repetitive a few levels down the road...???

It's a lot like Batman: Arkham Asylum - not in that the mechanics are at all similar, but in that there's a lot going on in the background that isn't immediately apparent. It can be a button-masher on one difficulty and something else completely on another. I really don't know where you're coming from on saying it feels weak, though, Baranga. :\ IMO it did do a good job of making you feel powerful when you buried the power axe in an ork.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Baranga

It's hard to put a finger on why a combat system feels good or not...

I'm this huge, extremely fast tank with poor aiming. Enemies deal a lot of damage but die fast. The combat feedback is poor - the impact sound is drowned by the surrounding chaos and the graphics are, well, a boring mess where it's hard to focus on somethig. It just feels wrong IMO. The executions look good but again, the sound doesn't stand out and that hurts it a lot. I also don't like the focus on simply smashing skulls and ignoring defense, and I really hope the combat system gets more complicated than timing button presses. It's a fast paced button masher and I don't like that.

Sound is very important - Enslaved's combat is technically just as boring as Space Marine's, but you feel the pole crunching the robots and it's great.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's gonna be a day one purchase for me.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="denter21"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

THIS

FelipeInside

Why wouldn't they? Some games don't even have demos. And considering Space Marines doesn't come out until Sept. 6... that will give people enough time to decide until then.
Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

Just finished the demo and i have to say i like it a lot. It was what i wanted and got rid of my fears that it would be a console port with controls that would make zero sense.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Wow...what an utter disappointment. When SM was first announced they said it was going to be an action-rpg and I was so stoke to hear that. While Dawn of War II wasn't the best RTS ever or anything, the leveling and loot mechanics was very cool...an ARPG in the 40K universe would be excellent. Overtime they started talking about making the game more of an action game and I got a bit worried...and eventually they started saying the game was a Gears of War killer.

Anyways played the demo and, well, I don't know about being a killer to that series but Space Marine is absolutely Gears of Warhammer. This is a straight up 3rd person shooter with nice melee but that's about the only twist. I may get it on the consoles somewhere down the road but there's no way I am paying full price for it.

/ugh

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

They never said it was a Gears killer.

And while I'm disappointed that it's no longer an ARPG, they stopped advertising it as such a long time ago.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Renevent42
Wrong. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/252018/space-marine-is-our-gears-of-war-killer-thq/ "This is what I like to call our Gears of War-killer;"
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Fair enough.:P

I'd still argue that Danny Bilson doesn't know anything about Relic seeing as he announced Dawn of War 3 before Relic actually decided that they were going to work on DoW 3 next.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

Played the demo on all modes (Easy, Medium and Hard) and my impression of it is so far very good. I'm definately pumped and hyped for this game. I recommed you all try the demo, it's free and on Steam.

The demo doesn't teach you everything (nor does the control options) in regards to controls, so here are a few tips and hints.

Q = throw grenade.
Pressing scrool button for aiming.

When you try and execute the big Nob Orks you need to spam the buttons (I don't know if there is a specific button, but I just press 'em all) to overpower him otherwise he will escape and bash you.

R= Detonate the stick grenades that your vengeance launcher spits out.

And don't forget to pick up the power axe in the final room.

And wow... I really don't get the naysayers. This demo was freaking AWESOME! I had an absolute blast with, this is the Warhammer 40,000 game that I've been waiting for. Shooting, stomping, bashing, charging, flying, blasting every Ork you see! RAAAAWR! For the emperor, grow a pair you ninnies ;)

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Baranga

It's nothing like Gears. It would actually be a good game if it were like it.

I can't stand playing it for more than 5 minutes and I am convinced that people who like it are ultrafanboys or have never played a competent game in this genre.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renevent42
I'm sure he does...you know...he actually works there lol. He might have spilled the beans before they actually committed to working on DoW 3 or something...but I'd bet he didn't just make it up out of thin air.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

Total Biscuit the cynical Brit reviewed the WHK 40K: Space Marine demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb50aAFiOpM

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Baranga

I'd take British opinions of Warhammer games with a grain of salt.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m25105

It's nothing like Gears. It would actually be a good game if it were like it.

I can't stand playing it for more than 5 minutes and I am convinced that people who like it are ultrafanboys or have never played a competent game in this genre.

Baranga
Or maybe we just like playing as a bad ass marine and not duck behind cover half the time.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Baranga

I'd like that too, but it should have at least competent gameplay.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Renevent42

The gameplay is competent...actually the controls are very solid. The issue is it doesn't have a whole lot of depth. It's like the took a Space Marine and dumped him into the gears of war game engine. They made it more action-y and more melee focused but that's all they did. All the RPG-esque stuff has been removed...which ok is fine...but if they were going for more actiony/hack and slash couldn't they have put in deeper combo/upgrade/item/ability/ect systems? God of War and Darksiders may be very action focused, but there's a lot of depth to the mechanics surrounding them whcih keeps the game advancing.

This is just a flat out action game now though. I'd wager the campaign is no more than 4-6 hours long too.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 m25105

There are combos >< You guys need to expiriment and there is a power axe in the demo too.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Renevent42
The combos are laughably simple.
Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

I know this game is not the "ultra artsy crappy but i can look cool" game everyone was hoping for. Its warhammer, what did you expect? And how is gears better? Gears campaign was just as formulaic.

1)See guy
2)Get behind covber
3)shooter
4)Duck
5)go back to 1

It was not tactical at all and the characters and story everyone seemed to love was pretty meh.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 m25105
Oh let's start since I really don't get the nay sayers. First I've completed this on hard a number of times. It's not easy, if you think you can charge in and just chop everything you will die. You need to thin them out first with your ranged weapon. Use combos together with stuns. Different weapons got different combos and stuns. 1,2,3 hits and then stun with a chainsword is an aoe stun. 1,2,3 hits and then stun with the power axe is more like a shockwave attack. You need to be constantly moving, but you can take a lot of damage. You need to time it right with execute, executing while being surrounded by 10 Orks is bad. Executing an Ork that's been seperated is good, or grab one after an AOE stun. Remember to use fury when you're surrounded or big Nob Orks arrive. It also works as an emergency health kit. The action and violence is awesome, the game feels epic and I can't for the life of my understand why people don't like it. But then again, I don't like games like the Witcher so we're all different. The point is, I don't call the Witcher a crap game. I just don't like it cause it doesn't suit my needs. Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine however does, it felt freaking great and I totally got the same feeling that Total Biscuit got. Screw God of War, screw Gears of War, this game is the bomb!
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Renevent42

Well using that that kind of simplification, Space Marine would be:

1) See guy

2) Kill

3) Go back to 1

Of course I don't agree with this kind of simplication...

grisibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 grisibur
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts

Well using that that kind of simplification, Space Marine would be: 1) See guy 2) Kill 3) Go back to 1Renevent42

Isen't that true for a almost ALL shooters?

And I for one did enjoy the demo a lot, and I LOVE that the combos aren´t retarded DMC hard to learn and do.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Well using that that kind of simplification, Space Marine would be: 1) See guy 2) Kill 3) Go back to 1grisibur

Isen't that true for a almost ALL shooters?

And I for one did enjoy the demo a lot, and I LOVE that the combos aren´t retarded DMC hard to learn and do.

Please read the post...I was responding to something specific m25105 posted.

Anyways having combos and stuff doesn't mean it has to be hard...Darksiders has tons of depth (combos, upgrades, special skills, ect) and it's a pretty easy game to play. Space Marine is pretty bereft of any interesting supporting mechanics. This is a straight forward action game (may not be a bad thing for everyone) but for me I expect a little more.