Who here actually has vista?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 AARONRULZ1
Member since 2006 • 6273 Posts

I'm just curious how many people here have vista.

I'm sticking with XP until the bugs and glitches are fixed.

Avatar image for DisturbedOne436
DisturbedOne436

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DisturbedOne436
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
Vista suxs, I shall wait until the next windows
_0V3RKI11_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _0V3RKI11_
Member since 2006 • 2267 Posts
I'm going to wait until atleast service pack one, and then if I've forked out for an R600 or 8900GTX and there's a few DX10 games out. AND 64bit has more support, I will.
Blademaestor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Blademaestor
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts
Trialled it, then uninstalled it when I realised all my games were running slower on it!!!
aft_lizard01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 aft_lizard01
Member since 2005 • 2132 Posts

Got it, love it and will never go back to that basic OS XP. It has so many great tools built in, and it'sok that some games run a little slower I do more work on my PC than play anyways.

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
im dual booting starting in august
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 ccgod  Online
Member since 2003 • 7915 Posts
i have it
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AARONRULZ1
im dual booting starting in augustinyourface_12
I'm doing the same thing once the bugs and drivers for the 64-bit version are fixed.
Decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Decko5
Member since 2004 • 9428 Posts
Trialled it, then uninstalled it when I realised all my games were running slower on it!!!Blademaestor
same here.
BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts
I answered no as my game system is still XP, but my laptop has Vista.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]im dual booting starting in augustAARONRULZ1
I'm doing the same thing once the bugs and drivers for the 64-bit version are fixed.

im not gettin the 64 bit version.  im just gonna buy an oem version from newegg for cheap and then get vienna in two years

AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AARONRULZ1

[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]im dual booting starting in augustinyourface_12

im not gettin the 64 bit version.  im just gonna buy an oem version from newegg for cheap and then get vienna in two years

I would heavily recommend 64-bit since 4GB RAM will be standard by xmas this year,and 8GB the next. Buying a 32-bit OS right now is a very bad idea,since 32-bit can only use 4GB RAM.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 ccgod  Online
Member since 2003 • 7915 Posts
[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]im dual booting starting in augustAARONRULZ1

im not gettin the 64 bit version. im just gonna buy an oem version from newegg for cheap and then get vienna in two years

I would heavily recommend 64-bit since 4GB RAM will be standard by xmas this year,and 8GB the next. Buying a 32-bit OS right now is a very bad idea,since 32-bit can only use 4GB RAM.

they didn't give me a choice when i dled it from there site. how do i know if i have 32 or 64?
Ebougile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ebougile
Member since 2005 • 2168 Posts
I'm holding out with Windows XP for the forseeable future.  Video card and sound card drivers need to mature some more, and I know I have some hardware that is not compatible with Vista - most notably my all-in-one printer/scanner/photocopier.
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

I'm sticking with XP until the bugs and glitches are fixed.

AARONRULZ1

good for you, that's exactly what I'm gonna do. 

NS_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NS_Knight
Member since 2006 • 86 Posts

hey guys visit my Dual Boot problem thredd

supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 supergamer1289
Member since 2005 • 2825 Posts
[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]im dual booting starting in augustAARONRULZ1

im not gettin the 64 bit version. im just gonna buy an oem version from newegg for cheap and then get vienna in two years

Are you KIDDING ME? No way will 4 gb be standard. 8 gb? AH HA HA HA HA!
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AARONRULZ1
[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]im dual booting starting in augustsupergamer1289

You'll find out the hard way,my friend,games that require a minimum of 1GB of RAM are already starting to come out and from what i heard,crysis will need at least 768 megs just to even run,of course thats just speculation...
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 supergamer1289
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

You'll find out the hard way,my friend,games that require a minimum of 1GB of RAM are already starting to come out and from what i heard,crysis will need at least 768 megs just to even run,of course thats just speculation...

I think you are being a little quick. 4 gb of ram is an insane amount, thats more than double than whats RECOMMENDED right now. Also, Cyrsis is a top of the line game. So it really just proves my point that the most graphically advanced game does not take more than 1.5 gb.
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AARONRULZ1
[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]im dual booting starting in augustsupergamer1289

I think you are being a little quick. 4 gb of ram is an insane amount, thats more than double than whats RECOMMENDED right now. Also, Cyrsis is a top of the line game. So it really just proves my point that the most graphically advanced game does not take more than 1.5 gb.

4GB may be considered insane now,but by 2008,1GB will be laughed upon.
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 supergamer1289
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

I think you are forgetting one small event. By 2008 DDR3 will be out. 2 GB of THAT is overkill.
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts
[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

But playing multiple games on the same computer at once is the future of gaming. Split screen, playing two different instances of crysis. I already have it all set up. That will take more gigs. Soon it will be four games on one screen, each hand and foot controlling a different character, and then a fifth game that plays in your head 'cause you wear a giant helmet that sends electrical signals to and from your brain. That will take at least 8 gigs, so you lose.
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AARONRULZ1
[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

I think you are forgetting one small event. By 2008 DDR3 will be out. 2 GB of THAT is overkill.

DDR3 won't even be standard when it comes out and i doubt there will be a HUGE performance increase from DDR2 to DDR3.
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dracunos
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

DDR3 won't even be standard when it comes out and i doubt there will be a HUGE performance increase from DDR2 to DDR3.

But five games at once on one machine will obviously be standard.. Who wouldn't want that? Keep that it mind
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AARONRULZ1
But five games at once on one machine will obviously be standard.. Who wouldn't want that? Keep that it mindDracunos
Got proof???
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supergamer1289
Ok, lets just all take a break. IMO there is no way that 4 gigs become standard in one year, let alone 2. In one year 2 gigs MIGHT be standard but thats a big if. I really think we are getting ahead of our selfs.
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AARONRULZ1
Ok, lets just all take a break. IMO there is no way that 4 gigs become standard in one year, let alone 2. In one year 2 gigs MIGHT be standard but thats a big if. I really think we are getting ahead of our selfs.supergamer1289
2 gigs is already standard,don't even deny the truth.
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dracunos
[QUOTE="Dracunos"]But five games at once on one machine will obviously be standard.. Who wouldn't want that? Keep that it mindAARONRULZ1
Got proof???

We're not supposed to know, but Bill Gates told me. He actually does it all the time. His computer has 12 gigs in it. Each game runs at 45 FPS, his graphic card bottlenecks it, he says. He uses a quintuple-core, so it wouldn't be the CPU.
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 supergamer1289
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"]Ok, lets just all take a break. IMO there is no way that 4 gigs become standard in one year, let alone 2. In one year 2 gigs MIGHT be standard but thats a big if. I really think we are getting ahead of our selfs.AARONRULZ1

Name 5 games that require 2 gb of memory?
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AARONRULZ1
[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"]Ok, lets just all take a break. IMO there is no way that 4 gigs become standard in one year, let alone 2. In one year 2 gigs MIGHT be standard but thats a big if. I really think we are getting ahead of our selfs.supergamer1289

2 gigs is needed if you want to play games at max settings with playable FPS. And there are over 50 games that take advantage of 2 gigs.
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 supergamer1289
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"][QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="supergamer1289"]Ok, lets just all take a break. IMO there is no way that 4 gigs become standard in one year, let alone 2. In one year 2 gigs MIGHT be standard but thats a big if. I really think we are getting ahead of our selfs.AARONRULZ1

2 gigs is needed if you want to play games at max settings with playable FPS. And there are over 50 games that take advantage of 2 gigs.

Well sure! Game would take advantage of 3432432 gigs, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS STANDARD! I run HL:2 episode 1 on full with 1 gb of RAM. Same with BF 2. Not to mention the fact that have vista tottering away in the backround.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1] 4GB may be considered insane now,but by 2008,1GB will be laughed upon.

Source? Perhaps they'll imrpve the tech in such a way that the quantity doesn't matter as much as the quality...

supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 supergamer1289
Yeah, lets see some facts to back up all this talk.
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AARONRULZ1
Source?Staryoshi87
Don't need one. supergamer,for most modern games like SupCom,CoH,2142,Oblivion,etc to play on max settings without long load times,2 gigs will help.
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 supergamer1289
I cant even remember what the original thread was. LOL
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AARONRULZ1
Yeah, lets see some facts to back up all this talk.supergamer1289
I'm not gonna even bother getting through your thick head.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Staryoshi87
[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Source?AARONRULZ1
Don't need one. supergamer,for most modern games like SupCom,CoH,2142,Oblivion,etc to play on max settings without long load times,2 gigs will help.

Max Settings not equal to playable. Most people don't play games at max settings. I'm not saying 2 gigs isn't better ;)
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 supergamer1289
[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Source?AARONRULZ1

Of course, I am not denying that it will help. I just want you to take back the statement that "2 gigs is already standard,don't even deny the truth." You know its not true. You are contradicting your self, you just said right now that "2 gigs will help." It is in no way required. You know what, never mind, I dont even need you to take back what you originally said. You all ready admited you were wrong.
AARONRULZ1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AARONRULZ1
[QUOTE="AARONRULZ1"][QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Source?supergamer1289

Of course, I am not denying that it will help. I just want you to take back the statement that "2 gigs is already standard,don't even deny the truth." You know its not true. You are contradicting your self, you just said right not that "2 gigs will help." It is in no way required. You know what, never mind, I dont even need you to take back what you originally said. You all ready admited you were wrong.

Fine then,lets get back on topic then.
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 supergamer1289
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"]Yeah, lets see some facts to back up all this talk.AARONRULZ1
I'm not gonna even bother getting through your thick head.

Ah yes, when all else fails let us resort to insults. "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me." Frederick Douglass
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Staryoshi87
Hey gamer, might I ask you what games you've played on vista that have or have not worked?
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 supergamer1289

Hey gamer, might I ask you what games you've played on vista that have or have not worked?Staryoshi87

Sure, I would be happy to help you. Well steam worked 100%. Battlefield works, the loading times are just bad. If you want more detail and more games go here. I was not going to buy Vista but then I saw all these games thats worked and the ways to go around games that did not:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2090571,00.asp

Its a list of a lot of common games and if they worked or not, and how well, ect. There is a good amount of detail. 

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Staryoshi87

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Hey gamer, might I ask you what games you've played on vista that have or have not worked?supergamer1289

Sure, I would be happy to help you. Well steam worked 100%. Battlefield works, the loading times are just bad. If you want more detail and more games go here. I was not going to buy Vista but then I saw all these games thats worked and the ways to go around games that did not:

Its a list of a lot of common games and if they worked or not, and how well, ect. There is a good amount of detail. 

Thanks much. I play Age of empires 3, civ 4, steam stuff, oblvion, cod2, guild wars, and others...I want to get Stalker, but I hear it has major compatibility issues :( Silverfall also looks interesting...the one thing that's making me hesitant about vista is possible game conflicts =/ I think I'll wait a month just to be sure...and for price drops...and so I don't get crap grades in college =P
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 supergamer1289
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"]

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Hey gamer, might I ask you what games you've played on vista that have or have not worked?Staryoshi87

Thanks much. I play Age of empires 3, civ 4, steam stuff, oblvion, cod2, guild wars, and others...I want to get Stalker, but I hear it has major compatibility issues :( Silverfall also looks interesting...the one thing that's making me hesitant about vista is possible game conflicts =/ I think I'll wait a month just to be sure...and for price drops...and so I don't get crap grades in college =P

Lol, what college are you going to?
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Staryoshi87
Last year it was Univeristy of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, but I changed majors and I go to Northern Illinois University...I'm happy I did...I can work while learning...hence why an 8800GTX is in my future :)
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 supergamer1289
I am still in high school, I wish I could get a job. I live in NYC so no one really takes a kid seriously. I try to get some small jobs but no one really wants to higher me. Also, this summer I have to intern at this law office in London because my mom says it will look good on my college aplication. There goes 3 weeks of my summer. Sigh.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Staryoshi87
It surely will look good...and I've been to NYC. Great place to visit, but I'd only stay for the food and the Nintendo World store =P
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 supergamer1289
It surely will look good...and I've been to NYC. Great place to visit, but I'd only stay for the food and the Nintendo World store =PStaryoshi87
Lol, Dont get me wrong I love NYC but it can be a bit overwhelming. 8 million people crammed in to 22 miles? On the plus side you only have to go one block for anything. Later, I GTG to sleep. I have a test tomorrow. Give vista a thought, it is not for everyone.
Ankaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ankaara
Member since 2002 • 2396 Posts
I had to buy a new computer, and it came with Vista Ultimate. It's pretty neat and shiny and new, but I imagine in a few days I will start figuring out ways to hate it :)
sykonfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sykonfc
Member since 2004 • 607 Posts

I'm running XP Pro on my AGP system. I'll be building a new PCI-Express system that will run Vista, sometime mid-Q3 when AMD releases it's Quad-Core, Agena desktop processor (that'll power my system). By that time, hopefully things are a little smoother.