Which Thief game should I play?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Bought the entire Thief collection on sale @ GOG and I'm wondering which I should play 1st, thanks.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Makes most sense to play them in order. Thief Gold Thief II: The Metal Age Thief: Deadly Shadows
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19581 Posts
Playing them in order would be best, but if Thief 1's sombre early missions turn you off the idea, I'd skip to Thief 2. It was the best in the series, by far.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Obviously the first one, but the general consensus is Thief 2 is the best.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Play it in this order:

1. Thief 1

2. Thief 2

3. Thief 2 mod: Shadows of the Metal Age

4. Thief 3

5. Then once you're completely addicted get Doom 3 and install DarkMod and then play fan mission after fan mission of pure awesomeness :)

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#6 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Play them all in order.

I just realised that next year I'll have to tell people..."play them in order....except for that other one".  

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
Play Skyrim sneak skill will blow any thief game out of the water imo. I don't get the craze for thief now that we have The Chronicles of Riddick, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas.
Nwolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nwolfy
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Play Skyrim sneak skill will blow any thief game out of the water imo. I don't get the craze for thief now that we have The Chronicles of Riddick, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas.Travis_Odell
Thief games were there before any of the above games. OT: Just play them in order.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Travis_Odell
[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]Play Skyrim sneak skill will blow any thief game out of the water imo. I don't get the craze for thief now that we have The Chronicles of Riddick, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas.Nwolfy
Thief games were there before any of the above games. OT: Just play them in order.

Thirf games was cool in the 90s but for today's standers a linear dark hallway to creep in and steal shit get's old as soon as the mission failed sign shows up. It could be called anything and thief wouldn't come to mind. Just because it did it first does not mean it's the best. The formula is old and outdated from the looks and sound of it.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Nwolfy"][QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]Play Skyrim sneak skill will blow any thief game out of the water imo. I don't get the craze for thief now that we have The Chronicles of Riddick, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas.Travis_Odell

Thirf games was cool in the 90s but for today's standers a linear dark hallway to creep in and steal shit get's old as soon as the mission failed sign shows up. It could be called anything and thief wouldn't come to mind. Just because it did it first does not mean it's the best. The formula is old and outdated from the looks and sound of it.

Then the least you can do is list current stealth games that work well like Mark of the Ninja or Dishonored. The stealth and gameplay in general in Skyrim and New Vegas is poor.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Travis_Odell

[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"][QUOTE="Nwolfy"] Thief games were there before any of the above games. OT: Just play them in order.Legolas_Katarn

Then the least you can do is list current stealth games that work well like Mark of the Ninja or Dishonored. The stealth and gameplay in general in Skyrim and New Vegas is poor.

Skyrim and New vegas's steath is more dynamic then any thief game to date, don't even get me started on Dishonored. Don't even get me started on The Chronicles of Riddick, aka the best stealth game of all time imo right beside dishonored published by Bethesda Softworks that probably had a say in it that made Skyrim.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="Nwolfy"][QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]Play Skyrim sneak skill will blow any thief game out of the water imo. I don't get the craze for thief now that we have The Chronicles of Riddick, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas.Travis_Odell

Thief? Linear? Are you high?

Also, the idea that New Vegas or Skyrim have better or more dynamic stealth than Thief is atrociously laughable. You quite literally do not know what you are talking about.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19581 Posts

Thirf games was cool in the 90s but for today's standers a linear dark hallway to creep in and steal shit get's old as soon as the mission failed sign shows up.Travis_Odell

That makes it sound like you've never played Thief. Or perhaps you've only played the tutorial to Thief 2?

Skyrim and New vegas's steath is more dynamic then any thief game to date, don't even get me started on Dishonored. Don't even get me started on The Chronicles of Riddick, aka the best stealth game of all time imo right beside dishonored published by Bethesda Softworks that probably had a say in it that made Skyrim.Travis_Odell

The thing about the stealth in Skyrim, New Vegas and Dishonored is that they all tried really, really hard to copy Thief's stealth (to the point where I think Bethesda actually just hired former Thief developers to try to make a similar system), and all of them ended up with fundamentally weaker stealth mechanics.

Skyrim's stealth problems were enormous - with a decent stealth skill level, you could practically crouch-walk right in front of guys in brightly lit rooms without them seeing you. I don't remember sound or light being a particular factor there either - if you weren't in their line of sight, you wouldn't be caught. And did the guards even notice corpses (they definitely didn't in Oblivion)? New Vegas had a weaker system, being an older game based on the same mechanics.

As for Dishonoured....I don't remember much, since I got bored with it very quickly. But I certainly remember trying to play it like a Thief game, only to be constantly disappointed by the lack of depth and general ease at everything I was doing.

Chronicles of Riddick was pretty good though, sure. Way too linear, if that's a complaint (since unlike Thief, that was literally just narrow corridor after corridor of alternately avoiding/blowing away guards), but still an entertaining stealth-shooter...whose stealth mechanics still weren't as good as Thief's, from memory?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PannicAtack
None of the levels in Dishonored can hold a candle to Thief missions like Song of the Caverns, The Sword, Framed, or Life of the Party.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Travis_Odell be trollin.  Saying Skyrim's stealth is better than Thiefs ???     What's next...Skyrim's melee combat is better than Dark Souls ?   Maybe Skyrim's story elements are better than Planescape Torment's ?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#16 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Travis_Odell be trollin.  Saying Skyrim's stealth is better than Thiefs ???     What's next...Skyrim's melee combat is better than Dark Souls ?   Maybe Skyrim's story elements are better than Planescape Torment's ?

bussinrounds
^ And I would know, I've played all those games and played Skyrim and New Vegas as a stealth character. The fight against the king and the other guy was hilarious in Skyrim for me, one arrow, other guy is dead, second arrow king has almost no health and cant' see me even though he is looking at me, another arrow, dead.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 biggest_loser
None of the levels in Dishonored can hold a candle to Thief missions like Song of the Caverns, The Sword, Framed, or Life of the Party.PannicAtack
Dishonored tries to copy Life of the Party and still messes it up lol.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Not to mention, Thief has it's very own, unique atmosphere and an amazingly likeable Main Character. Yeah, a likeable criminal, before the days GTA was cool.

Also, when I bought Thief I on Steam I expected clunky controls and ancient graphic (which would have been totally okay for it's age and the sake of Nostalgia), but then I was also dropping my jaw seeing how pretty most of the stuff in the game looks and, ESPECIALLY, that aiming, crosshair movement, general movement etc. in fact are ABSOLUTELY on TOP NOTCH LEVEL and can hold a comparision to modern day AAA games in this field without any effort...for a game that is...how old now?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdrianWerner

None of the levels in Dishonored can hold a candle to Thief missions like Song of the Caverns, The Sword, Framed, or Life of the Party.PannicAtack
People should stop comparing Dishonored to Thief. This is very very different game. It's far more Deus Ex than Thief. It doesn't do stealth as good as Thief did, but it never was supposed. Instead it's a game that gives you insane freedom in picking how to finish each mission and doesn't punish you for making that choice. In this area it blows away both Deus Ex and Thief. Dishonored is just huge evolution of Deus Ex principles. I have no idea where people got into their heads that it's Thief-like.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]None of the levels in Dishonored can hold a candle to Thief missions like Song of the Caverns, The Sword, Framed, or Life of the Party.AdrianWerner

People should stop comparing Dishonored to Thief. This is very very different game. It's far more Deus Ex than Thief. It doesn't do stealth as good as Thief did, but it never was supposed.

Instead it's a game that gives you insane freedom in picking how to finish each mission and doesn't punish you for making that choice. In this area it blows away both Deus Ex and Thief. Dishonored is just huge evolution of Deus Ex principles. I have no idea where people got into their heads that it's Thief-like.

I'm sorry but what?

Thief isn't meant to give you freedom in how you play it and thats why its brilliant. Its a pure stealth game. It never intends to have action as an option. 

Punishing players for breaking its rules shouldn't be seen as a weakness - it makes you more careful and thoughtful about your actions. 

It has one playing style and it perfects it better than any other game. 

Variation comes through the level design and the gadgets you use. 

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10456 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]None of the levels in Dishonored can hold a candle to Thief missions like Song of the Caverns, The Sword, Framed, or Life of the Party.AdrianWerner

People should stop comparing Dishonored to Thief. This is very very different game. It's far more Deus Ex than Thief. It doesn't do stealth as good as Thief did, but it never was supposed. Instead it's a game that gives you insane freedom in picking how to finish each mission and doesn't punish you for making that choice. In this area it blows away both Deus Ex and Thief. Dishonored is just huge evolution of Deus Ex principles. I have no idea where people got into their heads that it's Thief-like.

i'm surprised at how much criticism dishonored gets on this board. it's a much better game than many give it credit for

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PannicAtack

Thief isn't meant to give you freedom in how you play it and thats why its brilliant. Its a pure stealth game. It never intends to have action as an option.

biggest_loser

Technically it is an action game, so... action is kinda an option.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Yeah in order. But if you must, i would go for Thief 2. its first one I played. Fell in love with series.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

PannicAtack

Technically? Why because its in first person? FPS can stand First Person Sneaker. It never attempts to be an action game and if you try that as an option you will fail. Its pretty blatant when the higher difficulties say: "Do not kill anyone".
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll play Thief 1 1st then. Also there is a Tfix mod for thief 1 on GOG but are there upgrade mods for thief 2/3? I want to play in widescreen plus any bug fixes would be nice.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

Thief 2 is by far the best in the series - much more polished than the first and much more immersive than the 3rd. 

And overall, Thief is the best franchise out there when it comes to stealth. no just in terms of mechanics, which certainly aren't timeless but nonetheless still competent. more importantly the games have nailed the atmosphere and setting dead right. As you slide from shadown to shadow in a dark, Gothic world, you will revel in the secrets you uncover and the guile of manipulation. the usual rewards that you associate with action games will then be thrown out of the window. no games have since compelled me so. 

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

Technically? Why because its in first person? FPS can stand First Person Sneaker. It never attempts to be an action game and if you try that as an option you will fail. Its pretty blatant when the higher difficulties say: "Do not kill anyone".

On the higher difficulties, yes. On anything other than expert and a couple levels in Thief 2, you're largely free to make use of your explosive fire arrows and mines, not to mention the in-depth sword fighting mechanics. The game's even got exploding barrels.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdrianWerner

I'm sorry but what?

Punishing players for breaking its rules shouldn't be seen as a weakness - it makes you more careful and thoughtful about your actions. 

biggest_loser

And? I didn't say it's worse game because of it. In fact I consider Thief 2 to be better than Dishonored. All I mean is that it's different game. Dishonored is freeform action game of the kind Deus Ex was. It shouldn't be punished for not doing stealth as good as the game that focused solely on doing stealth and did it better than anything else since. Just as Thief shouldn't be punished for having clunky combat.

Bassicaly comparing Dishonored to Thief makes zero sense, because they're very different. Dishonored is Deus Ex-like and it's much better designed game than Deus Ex ever was.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"]Technically it is an action game, so... action is kinda an option.PannicAtack

On the higher difficulties, yes. On anything other than expert and a couple levels in Thief 2, you're largely free to make use of your explosive fire arrows and mines, not to mention the in-depth sword fighting mechanics. The game's even got exploding barrels.

If you do any of that you will meet a quick death even on Normal and Hard settings. Stealth is the only proper way to play the game. Its not an action game.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

I'm sorry but what?

AdrianWerner

And? I didn't say it's worse game because of it. In fact I consider Thief 2 to be better than Dishonored. All I mean is that it's different game. Dishonored is freeform action game of the kind Deus Ex was. It shouldn't be punished for not doing stealth as good as the game that focused solely on doing stealth and did it better than anything else since. Just as Thief shouldn't be punished for having clunky combat.

Bassicaly comparing Dishonored to Thief makes zero sense, because they're very different. Dishonored is Deus Ex-like and it's much better designed game than Deus Ex ever was.

Your exact words were: "In this area it blows away both Deus Ex and Thief.." 

You were the one comparing them. 

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AdrianWerner

biggest_loser

I was comparing specific aspects of them, not whole games. Very big difference. 

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] Technically? Why because its in first person? FPS can stand First Person Sneaker. It never attempts to be an action game and if you try that as an option you will fail. Its pretty blatant when the higher difficulties say: "Do not kill anyone".

If you do any of that you will meet a quick death even on Normal and Hard settings. Stealth is the only proper way to play the game. Its not an action game.

The GOG and Steam pages beg to differ.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"]On the higher difficulties, yes. On anything other than expert and a couple levels in Thief 2, you're largely free to make use of your explosive fire arrows and mines, not to mention the in-depth sword fighting mechanics. The game's even got exploding barrels.

The GOG and Steam pages beg to differ.

I don't even know what that means but okay you go ahead and play Thief as an action game. See how far you get.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

AdrianWerner

And I still think you're wrong comparing that aspect.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

And I still think you're wrong comparing that aspect.

Well you're free to be dead wrong I guess ;)