Which RTS games are people playing online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jedi831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jedi831
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts

So ever since I started playing Starcraft 2 online I've been wanting to play some other RTS games online as well, but i'm not sure which ones still have a good online community so I wont have to wait for 30 min to find a match. Is there anybody that knows of some that would be worth looking into?

Jedi831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jedi831

I am playing none and have no advice as to what you or anyone else should play. Sorry.

DeViLzzz

lol this made me laugh. :P Thanks for the reply anyhow. ;)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="DeViLzzz"]

I am playing none and have no advice as to what you or anyone else should play. Sorry.

Jedi831

lol this made me laugh. :P Thanks for the reply anyhow. ;)

Well there's Age of Empires Online....but like u said, most people are playing SC2.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

most people just play SC2 unfourtantly, I can only play my favourites (Company of Heroes, Empire Earth, Age of EMpires, ect) with my friends, not that I would want to play random's anyway.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

SC2 and Company of Heroes are all I can think of

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

dawn of war 2

and now and again you can find someone playing supreme commander 2 or total war: shogun 2

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Haha. Ive been playing SC2 for a year now. Its basically the only one that has been able to keep a steady population in recent years. C&C has failed the gaming community and so has Age of Empires and SupCom 2 and SupCom 1. Some of them have good online gameplay but suck at implementation and support. Take Dawn of War 2 and the idiots at Relic. The game is great and plays wonderfully online if you get a decent game and its fun BUT matchmaking and implementation SUCK SOO HARD. It lags like no other game on the market. The only other games that still have good community are actually OTHER Blizzard games like SC1 and WC3. I searched long and hard and SC2 was the only game I could find. lol DoW2's Last Stand is well supported though...the douche bags. Useless. Id love if games like Homeworld 2 or Age of Empires 2 or 3 or something were still living. Or hell Company of Heroes too. CoH does have a living community but the games still lag and no one uses matchmaking. I dont know what it is about Relic and sucking at properly providing a good online multiplayer system. If you want another online RTS...Id either wait for some newer better stuff or get Company of Heroes.
daveydark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 daveydark
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

you can play warcraft 3 frozen throne. Active community

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I liked playing World in Conflict and R.U.S.E., but I don't know about the community size at the moment. The Men of War series might be also worth checking out.

Jedi831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jedi831

So it seems that Company of Heroes is the only other game beside SC2 that has a good community then? Which expansions do you guys have for CoH? From what I've seen, Opposing Fronts is the best expansion and Tales of Valor isn't really worth getting...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I play CoH on near daily basis, and when I play (usually at nighttime) there is around 3500 people online. So its not THAT hard to find a game ^^

The base game and OF are well worth the purchace, I have all of them, but never tryied what people usually say (that ToV has all the MP componant in itself) So I would take the safer route and buy CoH + OF.

Its a really good rts game ^^ While I like WiC I must admit I never playied it online (nor C&C3) so no idea how thier online componants are.

rammbhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rammbhat
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Age of empires online is free! And lots playing DOTA even now.. Cant wait for DOTA 2!
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
From what I hear, Company of Heroes is still relatively active, and is one heck of a good game. Age of Empires online is worth a shot, I suppose, but I heard it was pretty bad. If you're into MOBAs, LoL and DotA 2 would be great choices. For TBS, might I recommend Heroes of Newerth or Civilization V?
Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts

I'm really into Dawn of War 2. There's a decent amount of people playing, so you should be able to get matched within a couple of minutes.

Great focus on tactical play and I love the visceral carnage of the combat

HumbleServant6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HumbleServant6
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Why, pray tell, would you need to play anything but StarCraft II ? xD Oh, alright, I'll give you two games : WarCraft III and a little game that goes by the name of... The Frozen Throne! No problem if you haven't heard of them, they're nothing special, have a tiiiny community, but they are a blast!
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11784 Posts

Hmm

I don't konw too much about the online. But I have been on an RTS kick myself lately.

I reinstalled Generals and Zero hour (widescreen and camera height tweaks) never really got to enjoy them much, and just incase the new C&C game is a new Generals I want to have beat the first ones competely first. People say its better than I give it credit for, so I am giving it another go! Though I still have to say that I think the Tiberium saga of C&C is still my favorite RTS series.

I am also playing a good bit of Company of Heroes, (which still may have some decent online activity going for it) with all the expansions.

I also want to get the steam version of World in Conflict ( I beat the game but not expansion) I want both again, upgraded rig, CPU and GPU since I beat it first time, figure I can turn up a few things and get better performance, as well as get to play as the Soviets in the expansion. There might be a decent amount of people playing this game online as well.

I have Dawn Of War II I haven't played it yet, got it mainly for a friend who plays on my rig. I will get around to it, just other games I want to play more. I think this would be one with a good amount of online activity.

Starcraft II (I plan on getting it once I build my new rig, haven't even played the first, but I should have atleast 2 campaings to play when I go to play it) This RTS will probably have the most people playing it online. I hear the Matchmaking is horrible for the first like 10 matches, but then it starts to put you against comparable opponents. I guess the system is just getting a feel for you (to know who to match you against) for those first few matches online.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]From what I hear, Company of Heroes is still relatively active, and is one heck of a good game. Age of Empires online is worth a shot, I suppose, but I heard it was pretty bad. If you're into MOBAs, LoL and DotA 2 would be great choices. For TBS, might I recommend Heroes of Newerth or Civilization V?

Hon is not a TBS it is a MOBA.
will952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 will952
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts

CoH has been, and remains, my most played game by far. Automatching at a peak time will get you a 1v1 matchup within a minute or so; there's normally about 20 people automatching 1v1's and about 10 automatching 2v2's at any one time, and then about 5000 people playing basic (unranked ie noob :P) matches.

1v1's in that game are just so awesome, competetive, and winning a match genuinely feels like you've outwitted your opponent.

As for expansions, all you need is the original IMO. OF added 2 new factions that are regarded by most top players as being either crap or just badly designed factions (encouraging blobbing and bad for game flow) and ToV added some broken units. The two main factions are all you need to have a whale of a time.

TheFlash3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheFlash3D
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts

Red Alert 3! Im still playing and it has a active community

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

CoH has been, and remains, my most played game by far. Automatching at a peak time will get you a 1v1 matchup within a minute or so; there's normally about 20 people automatching 1v1's and about 10 automatching 2v2's at any one time, and then about 5000 people playing basic (unranked ie noob :P) matches.

1v1's in that game are just so awesome, competetive, and winning a match genuinely feels like you've outwitted your opponent.

As for expansions, all you need is the original IMO. OF added 2 new factions that are regarded by most top players as being either crap or just badly designed factions (encouraging blobbing and bad for game flow) and ToV added some broken units. The two main factions are all you need to have a whale of a time.

will952

I'm wishing for a CoH 2 with 4-6 factions built in, wouldn't it be nice to get some russian/japanese stuff going on :)
and we noobs just wanna have fun!

IntwoGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IntwoGames
Member since 2004 • 1243 Posts
Men of War: Assault Squad has plenty of people online and games going. It does have a steep learning curve though due to the complex game mechanics like tanks having real life armor values where a tank can be one shot if a round with a high enough penetration hits a certain spot and the fact you can damage certain parts of tanks.
Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

[QUOTE="Jedi831"]

So ever since I started playing Starcraft 2 online I've been wanting to play some other RTS games online as well, but i'm not sure which ones still have a good online community so I wont have to wait for 30 min to find a match. Is there anybody that knows of some that would be worth looking into?

xanax2622

It's far from being as good as the upcoming F2P Command & Conquer but if you liked the old Westwood RTS games like Red Alert, Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn and Dune 2000, then OpenRA is for you Official website: http://open-ra.org A thread I typed here on Gamespot (news): http://www.gamespot.com/openra/forum/

Why did you reply to this topic - dead one for 2 years.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
StarCraft II is the only RTS worth mentioning. If you played SC2 for quite some time, all the other RTS will seem really dull to you.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Total War: Shogun 2, Total War: Rome 2, Civilization V, XCOM: Enemy Unknown are the ones I know of and play*.

*Except Rome 2

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

When you guys suggest Company of Heroes, are you referring to 1 or 2?

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
not a RTS but me and a bunch of friends play endless space from time to time..