Which PC game to buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eric_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 eric_007
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hey all, While I'm sure there are many posts asking this question, I searched for this topic and was unable to find it in this forum. Pardon the faux pas if there's an entire section on what I'm about to ask. So I have a little bit of disposable time (though not a ton of it), and I'm looking for a non-subscription based game to spend my limited disposable time on. I have it narrowed down to three titles, which all look excellent, but I'm torn. The games I'm considering are: GW2 Skyrim Minecraft Mass Effect 3 I realize that the comparison of these games is not really an apples-to-apples comparison; GW2 is an MMORPG, while Skyrim is more of a single player RPG, for example. That's the reason I'm having the hardest time quantifying each game's overall play-ability, because I'm not restricting it based on the type of game it is. I'm looking for a one-time purchase, that will give me a lot of quality play-time, but won't require a huge time-investment to enjoy it. I want to be able to play it whenever I feel like it, be it 20 minutes or a few hours at a time. I'm hoping to avoid suggestions like, "if you want to play with friends, pick an MMORPG," and the like. I am hoping to find some thoughtful suggestions on which game I should choose based on the merits of the game itself. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions you guys may have! Regards, Eric
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
That's a hard pick as those are all games that generally demand you to put in to get out. While it's not my cup of tea maybe Skyrim might be ideal? It can be played in short bursts or long hours - though personally it's just too shallow (world to combat) and full of atrocious writing and dullness for my liking - but a huge amount of people get a kick out of it. Minecraft is interesting if you're into getting creative and buildings things / exploring. Mass Effect 3 is good if you give a damn about something far more focused and being told an actually well told (for most of the part) story. Hell buy the Mass Effect collection when and if it comes out imho. Otherwise Guild Wars 2 is excellent for what it is, and the best MMORPG I've played in ages, and does well cutting out the downtime of MMOs, however it'll be the largest timesink of the bunch in terms of hours in - progress out. Could boil down to general interest, though judging from those titles singleplayer seems to be dominant, and it might be worth noting Mass Effect 3 does have a 'survival mode' multiplayer component, and Minecraft has its server multiplayer side.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I would recommend Skyrim. I wasn't a fan of GW2 and Minecraft isn't really my kind of thing.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Skyrim is perfect for you. Guild Wars 2 is not a great game to play in short spurts, and it requires a ton of time to be rewarding. Mass Effect 3 is really only rewarding if you've played the other games and are somewhat involved in the story. Minecraft is fun but it takes a lot of time to do anything cool with the game. Mods make the game a lot better, but that requires a time investment too. With Skyrim, you can do short quests whenever. Mods are as easy as going to Steam, finding a mod, and clicking subscribe. The game is pretty fun right away, and you don't have to play constantly because the story doesn't really matter. Its okay if you lose track. Plus there's a ton of content, especially with expansions, so you can get a few hundred hours out of the game rather easily.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I would recommend Skyrim. I wasn't a fan of GW2 and Minecraft isn't really my kind of thing.

BPoole96

and thats you not TC

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
another vote for skyrim. It will last you a while and is a game you can play half an hour or 12 hours straight and when you start to get bored of it start installing mods
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Don't play any of those.
eric_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 eric_007
Don't play any of those. SAGE_OF_FIRE
This is the type of response I was hoping to avoid, as I already have it narrowed down to one of those. But, I'm curious why you would suggest not playing any of them? What would you suggest in lieu of one of those games, and why (based on the considerations I outlined)? Thanks,
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Skyrim should suit your needs.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UCF_Knight
[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Don't play any of those. eric_007
This is the type of response I was hoping to avoid, as I already have it narrowed down to one of those. But, I'm curious why you would suggest not playing any of them? What would you suggest in lieu of one of those games, and why (based on the considerations I outlined)? Thanks,

You have to realize, someone would say this no matter what game we were discussing. Make a list of Half Life 2, Deus Ex, Grim Fandango and someone will still come along and tell you not to play any of those games.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14505 Posts

Of those, I'd only recommend GW2 and Skyrim. Minecraft is very dependent on the user and I've never been a fan of the ME series so I have little good to say about it.

Skyrim w/mods can give you a number of different things to do outside of the normal game and are fun to tinker around with. GW2 will take a bit more time investment but if you get into raiding dungeons in can be very rewarding. It does require a min. level for most of them though, so the time investment may be too great to really sink your teeth into.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Don't play any of those. eric_007

GW2 is dull, Mass Effect 3 is mediocre, Skyrim is poorly designed, and Minecraft doesn't appeal to me. Try http://www.pathofexile.com/, it's free to play and in open beta right now.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

ionusX

and thats you not TC

Obviously, he is asking for our input. I'm not going to comment on Minecraft and say he should not get it if it's a game that doens't appeal to me to begin with. GW2 is a game that on paper would suit my tastes but did nothing for me, but I did enjoy Skyrim, so I recommended that.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="eric_007"][QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Don't play any of those. SAGE_OF_FIRE

GW2 is dull, Mass Effect 3 is mediocre, Skyrim is poorly designed, and Minecraft doesn't appeal to me. Try http://www.pathofexile.com/, it's free to play and in open beta right now.

iyo key phrase

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts
[QUOTE="eric_007"]Hey all, While I'm sure there are many posts asking this question, I searched for this topic and was unable to find it in this forum. Pardon the faux pas if there's an entire section on what I'm about to ask. So I have a little bit of disposable time (though not a ton of it), and I'm looking for a non-subscription based game to spend my limited disposable time on. I have it narrowed down to three titles, which all look excellent, but I'm torn. The games I'm considering are: GW2 Skyrim Minecraft Mass Effect 3 I realize that the comparison of these games is not really an apples-to-apples comparison; GW2 is an MMORPG, while Skyrim is more of a single player RPG, for example. That's the reason I'm having the hardest time quantifying each game's overall play-ability, because I'm not restricting it based on the type of game it is. I'm looking for a one-time purchase, that will give me a lot of quality play-time, but won't require a huge time-investment to enjoy it. I want to be able to play it whenever I feel like it, be it 20 minutes or a few hours at a time. I'm hoping to avoid suggestions like, "if you want to play with friends, pick an MMORPG," and the like. I am hoping to find some thoughtful suggestions on which game I should choose based on the merits of the game itself. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions you guys may have! Regards, Eric

Dude just pickp up Dark Souls. All the games you listed are crap compared to DS. I am being 100% serious btw.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

hmm.

Of the games mentioned I would likely go for Skyrim, despite it not being my favorite. I AM playing it though, my dislike for the mainquest likely painted the game so far, but the vistas tend to wow me ^^

Apart from those TC; you could look into FO3 or NV (if you haven't allready) And Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
Skyrim would be my choice, you can play and save. It will take hours to finish and the price has dropped.
1-UPking82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 1-UPking82
Member since 2013 • 102 Posts
I would personally buy Skyrim and Minecraft, both of those are crazy addictive, especially with mods (especially with Skyrim). But those are all good choices and you can't go wrong with either choice really.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Minecraft gave me the most replay value out of those. Id say taht or GW2.

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

GW2 Skyrim Minecraft Mass Effect 3eric_007

Out of those, I'd say Skyrim all day, every day. That's just my opinion though.

Mass Effect 3 seems like an odd choice of "should I play this game?" Either you played the first two and are dying to finish the trilogy, or you didn't?

I'd go with Skyrim. 100+ hours of incredible gameplay.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

I recommend Skyrim as well. As a vanilla game it's just a mediocre game imo, but the large mod community turned this game into a fantastic open fantasy world. Thanks to all the different mods, I still play Skyrim; the world is getting more and more interesting. It's playable in short burst as well as in long sessions. The story is really superficial, but the world should be taken in as a whole.

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FaustArp

I recommend Skyrim as well. As a vanilla game it's just a mediocre game imo, but the large mod community turned this game into a fantastic open fantasy world. Thanks to all the different mods, I still play Skyrim; the world is getting more and more interesting. It's playable in short burst as well as in long sessions. The story is really superficial, but the world should be taken in as a whole.

geitenvla

^^This.

I have over 20 mods going last time I checked.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

- Guild Wars 2 is a game I don't care about.

- Skyrim is a great that I got bored with, but I would like to come back to it one day.

- Minecraft is a really boring game.

- Mass Effect 3 is a really great game that is part of one of my favorite game series. I have played this game on Xbox360, PS3, Wii U, and PC. So that is how much I like this game.

I will say get either Skyrim if you like a medieval style RPG, or get ME3 only if you have played the other ME games and you like sci-fi story based games with rpg elements.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Not the best list of choice but out of those choices I'd pick Mass Effect 3 just because I prefer sci-fi.

If you get ME3, make sure you play ME1 and ME2 first.

It's a trilogy.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Skyrim

I didn't have the will power to play it in short bursts though. My game sessions would at least last 3 hours.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Skyrim would take the cake out of those 4, followed by Minecraft then GW2. I won't even bother mentioning ME3 (other than right there) since I didn't bother playing it.

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

GW2- Haven't played this before, sorry.

Skyrim- Wonderful game. Hundreds of hours of gameplay, which can even be extended with mods.

Minecraft-Again, another brilliant game. There is no straight-forward plot to it- you just go out and survive. I recommend looking on youtube for some guides, paulsoaresjr is a great uploader for minecraft guides.

Mass Effect 3- nice game, haven't played it as much as Skyrim or Minecraft though. Another lengthy game that will keep you playing, though.

My conclusion: Skyrim.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

iyo key phrase

ionusX

why do people always have to chime in with 'in your opinion' these are forums so it should be obvious that they are all opinions..!!

anyway i would have to say GW2, not that the others are bad its just i think that it will last you for a few years and it will be changing from time to time, its a game you can play on your own or with other people if you like (im having fun with it)

The other games are good games too and def worth a look at some point.

what ever you choose im sure you'll have a blast

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 UCF_Knight

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

iyo key phrase

undeadgoon

why do people always have to chime in with 'in your opinion' these are forums so it should be obvious that they are all opinions..!!

anyway i would have to say GW2, not that the others are bad its just i think that it will last you for a few years and it will be changing from time to time, its a game you can play on your own or with other people if you like (im having fun with it)

The other games are good games too and def worth a look at some point.

what ever you choose im sure you'll have a blast

Because some of us try to objectively determine which game the TC would enjoy the most. Others just say which game they like the best, which is a little less helpful. Take my post, for instance. I gave actual reasons as to why I believe he would like a certain game over another. Ie. He wouldn't benefit from the story in ME3 (nb4 'nobody did' :P). For GW2, he'll primarily be playing by himself it seems and MMOs are not easy games to enjoy alone for a little bit here and there. If he's not going to be involved in a guild or anything because of his unreliable playing time, Skyrim is likely the best option. Its a more engaging experience for someone playing alone. Of course everything is based off of an opinion and has some sort of bias, but its ignorant to think some people aren't being a lot more objective.
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FaustArp

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

iyo key phrase

undeadgoon

Of course everything is based off of an opinion and has some sort of bias, but its ignorant to think some people aren't being a lot more objective.UCF_Knight

Skryim is the best choice.

This is a scientific fact. :P

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#32 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Of those I played only Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim.

ME3 remains one of the best gaming experiences I have had.

Skyrim remains a steaming pile of dog crap.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Out of those you listed, get Minecraft.

GW2 is a good game that will give you plenty of hours of fun but like all MMOs it gets quite boring when you reach max level.

Skyrim is the worst in the Elder Scrolls series as far as entertainment value goes, it is very boring.

Minecraft is one of those games where you just keep coming back.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I would say Minecraft if you have an ounce of creativity.

Don't even think about playing ME3 before the first two games. I will slap you 

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
All the games listed there are terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting them, n00b.
eric_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 eric_007
Everyone, Thank you for all of the responses. I think I've made my decision, and think I will check out Skyrim. Most of the suggestions were very insightful and well reasoned based on my parameters, and I appreciate it. For now, I'm going to download Skyrim from Steam and give it a go. Minecraft sounds great too, and maybe if I ever grow tired of Skyrim I'll give that a shot. I won't touch Mass Effect until I go through them in order. As one poster suggested, I may wait for the collection to come out and look for a deal on it. Thanks all, Eric
infofrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 infofrog
Member since 2012 • 231 Posts

[QUOTE="eric_007"]Hey all, While I'm sure there are many posts asking this question, I searched for this topic and was unable to find it in this forum. Pardon the faux pas if there's an entire section on what I'm about to ask. So I have a little bit of disposable time (though not a ton of it), and I'm looking for a non-subscription based game to spend my limited disposable time on. I have it narrowed down to three titles, which all look excellent, but I'm torn. The games I'm considering are: GW2 Skyrim Minecraft Mass Effect 3 I realize that the comparison of these games is not really an apples-to-apples comparison; GW2 is an MMORPG, while Skyrim is more of a single player RPG, for example. That's the reason I'm having the hardest time quantifying each game's overall play-ability, because I'm not restricting it based on the type of game it is. I'm looking for a one-time purchase, that will give me a lot of quality play-time, but won't require a huge time-investment to enjoy it. I want to be able to play it whenever I feel like it, be it 20 minutes or a few hours at a time. I'm hoping to avoid suggestions like, "if you want to play with friends, pick an MMORPG," and the like. I am hoping to find some thoughtful suggestions on which game I should choose based on the merits of the game itself. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions you guys may have! Regards, Ericrobertoenrique
Dude just pickp up Dark Souls. All the games you listed are crap compared to DS. I am being 100% serious btw.

100% Dark Souls

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

All the games listed there are terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting them, n00b.SKaREO

I will say the time you were away made the forums decent. :)

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I would personally buy Skyrim and Minecraft, both of those are crazy addictive, especially with mods (especially with Skyrim). But those are all good choices and you can't go wrong with either choice really.1-UPking82

THIS

WaterSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WaterSphere
Member since 2012 • 203 Posts
I always loved the Mass Effect series.
AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#42 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Out of all of those games, the ones I find myself coming back to time and time again are Minecraft and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Both fantastic games with a ton of replay value - not that Guild Wars 2 and Mass Effect 3 don't have that, but if you want to spend a lot of time I recommend those two.

criticofgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 criticofgames
I would get the one that has Multiplayer capability as once you are done with single player it gets boring to play it over and over again. You can see reviews on those games at http://criticofgames.blogspot.com they said Skyrim