which is better for a gaming pc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

diablo2602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 diablo2602
Member since 2006 • 192 Posts

which is better for pc gaming? intel icore 7 or amd phenom II quad core?

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
if gaming only then phenom ii, the best choice
ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

I'd have to go with Phenom II, because it costs less and if you only need it for gaming, then go AMD.

If you are doing more hardcore stuff, then save a little extra and get the i7.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

diablo2602
What is better, pizza or hamburgers? Comon you have tell more about the two and what you would consider better. (Price vs. performance? raw power? Heat? TDP? price range? and this list can be long..) The i7 are more powerfull and does fare alot better if thats what you mean, but are they worth the extra cost when a PH 2 eat almoust any game with ease?
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Currently, you don't need more than Duel Cores for gaming. So, you could save a little cash with a duel core or X2. The Phenom II 555 X2 has unlocked cores (edit correction: by unlocked cores I meant to say multipliers... Although, it is possible to unlock the 2 disabled cores, too; but it's a complete gamble whether or not the locked cores are actually stable enough to use.), even though it's not a Black Edition.

What you need for gaming is the highest Ghz rating for the CPU that you can afford., the fastest Video card you can afford and about 2GB of System Ram for WinXP and 4GB for the other two OS's. (Also don't bother with 32 bit on those other two OS's... if you're going to use 32 bit, just stay with WinXP.)

JonChaoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#6 JonChaoZ
Member since 2009 • 297 Posts

[QUOTE="diablo2602"]

swehunt

What is better, pizza or hamburgers? Comon you have tell more about the two and what you would consider better. (Price vs. performance? raw power? Heat? TDP? price range? and this list can be long..) The i7 are more powerfull and does fare alot better if thats what you mean, but are they worth the extra cost when a PH 2 eat almoust any game with ease?

I kinda have to agree with this. If you're asking what the hottest thing is right now, it's the core i7. But a core i5 or Phenom II would be able to handle just about anything on the market right now as well, and for less money.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
[QUOTE="diablo2602"]

swehunt

In gaming however, the "alot better" is between 1-3%. If getting PII X4 means you will be able to get a much superior graphics card, you will benefit much more in the end.
MerckmanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MerckmanX
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts

Gaming wise they are pretty close in performance but the i7 is the overall better cpu.One feature I personally like about the X58 Mobo is the ability to use SLI or Crossfire.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 swehunt
[QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="diablo2602"]

GhoX

In gaming however, the "alot better" is between 1-3%. If getting PII X4 means you will be able to get a much superior graphics card, you will benefit much more in the end.

1-3%? Please clarify what your talking about, because thats totally incorect and seems like a unbiased guess. The best i7 are much more powerfull than the best Phenom, and this can be an great advantage if you run low resolutions where the GPU isn't so hardly stressed. At a low resolution and paired with a strong GPU it will be a much greater distance, at a high resolution or if the GPU is rather weak the PH2 would be just as good. (Above reffer to gaming) And noone have said anything about the price or if there are a limmit to the budjet of a whole PC and if we are talking about the performance of between them, undisputed the i7 are the better CPU but it isn't needed for most games. The i7 are the better CPU for games and it's also better for games regardless of it's price, most games do not stress the CPU that hard but if one did it would be "alot better" just as i wrote.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="GhoX"][QUOTE="swehunt"] What is better, pizza or hamburgers? Comon you have tell more about the two and what you would consider better. (Price vs. performance? raw power? Heat? TDP? price range? and this list can be long..) The i7 are more powerfull and does fare alot better if thats what you mean, but are they worth the extra cost when a PH 2 eat almoust any game with ease?

1-3%? Please clarify what your talking about, because thats totally incorect and seems like a unbiased guess. The best i7 are much more powerfull than the best Phenom, and this can be an great advantage if you run low resolutions where the GPU isn't so hardly stressed. At a low resolution and paired with a strong GPU it will be a much greater distance, at a high resolution or if the GPU is rather weak the PH2 would be just as good. (Above reffer to gaming) And noone have said anything about the price or if there are a limmit to the budjet of a whole PC and if we are talking about the performance of between them, undisputed the i7 are the better CPU but it isn't needed for most games. The i7 are the better CPU for games and it's also better for games regardless of it's price, most games do not stress the CPU that hard but if one did it would be "alot better" just as i wrote.

The Intel i7 is not really all that much better. If I had a limited budget I had much rather have a slightly less powerful CPU and spend more on the GPU. You really stated nothing of useful information. To me it seems you are just an Intel Fanboy.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Have a MicroCenter near you? Buy an i7 930 for $200. Otherwise a Phenom II x4 will do you just fine.

SuperGamer911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SuperGamer911
Member since 2008 • 253 Posts

Phenom 2s are a cheap alternative, but they still play games great.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 swehunt

[QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="GhoX"] In gaming however, the "alot better" is between 1-3%. If getting PII X4 means you will be able to get a much superior graphics card, you will benefit much more in the end.millerlight89

The Intel i7 is not really all that much better. If I had a limited budget I had much rather have a slightly less powerful CPU and spend more on the GPU. You really stated nothing of useful information. To me it seems you are just an Intel Fanboy.

What?

Can you read again what i wrote, the i7 are much better in terms of performance but yeah it's more pricey, personally i dont think theyre worth it since i rather spend it on a gpu instead.

The i7 are still stronger than the PH2 even if the price is a diffrence, just as the gtx480 are stronger than the HD5870, even if Fermi has it's setbacks and i won't recomend it to anyone it is better in therms of raw performance the same goes to the better i7.

Even the C2Q are better than the PH2 if you compare them clock for clock, what makes the PH2 great is tha price of the BE and the high clocks they offer so thay are very compettitive. If had a CPU intencive game there would be a great diffrence between them (i7 vs. PH2), most games do not tax the CPU that hard but if you look at low resolutions with a strong GPU the i7's beat the PH2 by almoust 20-30% in various games, thats quite a diffrence from the 1-3% gox guessed on.

Who cares about Intel and AMD, i only want to state the truth.

...so i7 980X vs. PH2 X4 965BE who wins?

Thats a healthy 25% diffrence in Left for dead according to Tom's CPU chart.

I do recomend the PH2 over the pricey i7 but it's still not a better gaming CPU!

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Get the i5, its THE best gaming CPU and it costs only a little bit more than the Phenom II X4's...what a bargain!

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Low resolution comparison is hardly relevant to decision-making. It's relevant to benchmarks, but not this particular decision.

I threw out 1-3% since that's the most the TC would experience in gaming, considering that with his budget out there he certainly won't be getting a weak graphics card nor play on low resolution. Most games hardly use quad, and some don't even use duo, I personally won't hesitate suggesting a Core 2 Duo if the price difference to PIIx4 is greater.

No matter how fast i7 is, if no game is going to unleash its potential, all that potential is nothing but a waste and it'd be hardly different from a PII x4 when it comes down to actual gaming.

EDIT: By the way, when people refer to "i7", it's usually only meant for "i7 920". Anything above that is a waste.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

Currently, you don't need more than Duel Cores for gaming. So, you could save a little cash with a duel core or X2. The Phenom II 555 X2 has unlocked cores, even though it's not a Black Edition.

What you need for gaming is the highest Ghz rating for the CPU that you can afford., the fastest Video card you can afford and about 2GB of System Ram for WinXP and 4GB for the other two OS's. (Also don't bother with 32 bit on those other two OS's... if you're going to use 32 bit, just stay with WinXP.)

Threesixtyci

Dual cores are fine for most games, but there are a number of titles that do benefit alot from a quad core, GTAIV, Empire/Napoleon Total War, Supreme Commander (however supposedly SC2 is an easier game to run), but if you arent playing any of these cpu intensive games then yer a dual core is all you need, I was on an E8500 before this and it handled everything fine except games like GTAIV

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If you can afford an i7 why would you have a low resolution monitor? Seems a stupid point to me. Unless you're spending way over £1000 you'd be much better getting a Phenom II and buying a better graphics card.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 swehunt

you'd be much better getting a Phenom II and buying a better graphics card.

kraken2109

But thats the point! Where in this thread have TC said anything about a budjet, he asked whats best and thats the i7!

:roll:

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 swehunt

Low resolution comparison is hardly relevant to decision-making. It's relevant to benchmarks, but not this particular decision... By the way, when people refer to "i7", it's usually only meant for "i7 920" Anything above that is a waste.

GhoX

The i7 is still better, and TC asked whats best not what has the best price - performance ratio, i don't say that the i7 are a better buy because i think the ph2 have better value and does do great in all games but still it's not the best CPU for it. But hay, if you can show any kind of proof that the ph2 is better than by all means do so. In my first post i said to TC to add more info to his question because it's hard to tell what he thinks is best, but i he means performance the ph2 is no match for the more expensive i7's. When people say's i7 they mean i7 not a i7 920, what you or me thinks is a waste isn't important to the question. (Do you also mean a Viper GTS when you say "Dodge"?)

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts

Gaming wise they are pretty close in performance but the i7 is the overall better cpu.One feature I personally like about the X58 Mobo is the ability to use SLI or Crossfire.

MerckmanX
That is why i went with i7.Its very flexible GPU wise(SLI/CROSSFIRE).