What's so great about breakable weapons and armor?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#1 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
I see some people are complaining about it being removed in Skyrim, and I just don't get it. It bothered the hell out of me in Oblivion. The weapons break down too fast, and it just doesn't make any sense to begin with. I understand that in real life a blade will eventually wear down and become less effective, but I also understand that it's highly unlikely that it will break in half and be completely unusable. In my opinion, good riddance. Dead Rising 2 also had breakable weapons, and guess what? Yup. I hated it there, too. What do you think?
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I concur. Item degradation is not something I will miss in Skyrim.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I see some people are complaining about it being removed in Skyrim, and I just don't get it. It bothered the hell out of me in Oblivion. The weapons break down too fast, and it just doesn't make any sense to begin with. I understand that in real life a blade will eventually wear down and become less effective, but I also understand that it's highly unlikely that it will break in half and be completely unusable. In my opinion, good riddance. Dead Rising 2 also had breakable weapons, and guess what? Yup. I hated it there, too. What do you think? Diophage

I'd prefer they keep that but remove encumbrance.

Nothing immersive about running back and forth to town a dozen times selling stuff because I can't carry everything at once.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I agree with that. Pointless really since it just forced you to carry repair tools like hammers to fix it. I didn't find it fun to go into the inventory and just do a click fest on repair tools every hour or so after several fights.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="Diophage"]I see some people are complaining about it being removed in Skyrim, and I just don't get it. It bothered the hell out of me in Oblivion. The weapons break down too fast, and it just doesn't make any sense to begin with. I understand that in real life a blade will eventually wear down and become less effective, but I also understand that it's highly unlikely that it will break in half and be completely unusable. In my opinion, good riddance. Dead Rising 2 also had breakable weapons, and guess what? Yup. I hated it there, too. What do you think? topgunmv

Nothing immersive about running back and forth to town a dozen times selling stuff because I can't carry everything at once.

It might have not bothered me if your weapons simply became less effective over time (and I mean a longer amount than it takes in Oblivion), but it does bother me that they become totally unusable and are automatically unequipped when they're health runs out. It would be way better if I could keep using it while doing less damage.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="Diophage"]I see some people are complaining about it being removed in Skyrim, and I just don't get it. It bothered the hell out of me in Oblivion. The weapons break down too fast, and it just doesn't make any sense to begin with. I understand that in real life a blade will eventually wear down and become less effective, but I also understand that it's highly unlikely that it will break in half and be completely unusable. In my opinion, good riddance. Dead Rising 2 also had breakable weapons, and guess what? Yup. I hated it there, too. What do you think? topgunmv

I think they should keep that but, make horses have bags on them so you can store stuff on your horse. I thought that was one of the better ideas from Nehrim. Just make the overall amount you carry a good size more than what it was in Oblivion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

I agree with that. Pointless really since it just forced you to carry repair tools like hammers to fix it. I didn't find it fun to go into the inventory and just do a click fest on repair tools every hour or so after several fights.

sleepingzzz

I also find this ridiculous, too. The fact that it allows you to be some kind of expert, on the road blacksmith. That totally breaks the immersion.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
Nothing, I'm glad they took that out of Skyrim. It was a pain having to get my weapons repaired in Oblivion :(
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Obviously it's a very deep gameplay mechanic. You have to make sure your weapon is in good working order before every single fight.

It's just like having to buy ammo in Counter Strike. Such a pointless extra step that could screw you if you forget about it. Luckily CSS removed that and it's been much better because of it.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Its alright for certain games that really want realism but in most cases its annoying like in dead rising, and even dead island.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

I never liked it, you were always pigeonholed into taking the repair skill just to keep your things working.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
You have to be resourceful. DR2's systems means you're never a zombie killing god walking around with an infinite lightsabre, and you're always experimenting with alternatives. It depends on the game design, honestly I'm surprised they got rid of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]You have to be resourceful. DR2's systems means you're never a zombie killing god walking around with an infinite lightsabre, and you're always experimenting with alternatives. It depends on the game design, honestly I'm surprised they got rid of it.

It didn't really get me to try other weapons for long. I just kept making the same weapon over and over. Dead Rising 2 just made everything annoying. Worst bosses ever.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I didn't mind it if i was an armorer....but as a mage or a theif, im not going to take armorer, and many of my pieces of clothing wore down to the end after 2-3 dungeons, sometimes less, and paying to have it fixed would be over 1k gold each time...I often found myself cheating to get the exact change to pay the bill

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

You have to be resourceful. DR2's systems means you're never a zombie killing god walking around with an infinite lightsabre, and you're always experimenting with alternatives. It depends on the game design, honestly I'm surprised they got rid of it.skrat_01

The problem is unlike in DR2, you can't just pick up every weapon the enemy drops and expect it to be good in Elder Scrolls games. What happens is you end up having to carry a backup weapon, which burdens you more. Really it's just a hindrance. A repair skill is so useless if you ask me. I hope Skyrim keeps the traditional Elder Scrolls styIe leveling system though so you could literally level up everything. I like that more than Fallout's sytem.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I actually don't mind weapons and armour degrading over time, because it is more realistic. In reality, iron and steel blades could certainly snap in the midst of battle if you didn't spend time honing and getting all the nicks out of them - bronze blades were actually better at keeping an edge and less liable to breaking. If you didn't unstring a bow after use, it would eventually lose some of its power, and of course the string would break if under constant tension. So when Oblivion (and Morrowind) included this kind of degradation of equipment, I found it added just a little bit extra immersion to the game world.

Having said that, Oblivion didn't go far enough in having different materials degrade at different rates - the rusty iron gear should have degraded a lot more quickly than, say, the Elven weapons and armour. So yes, after a while it just became a pain to constantly look after your gear, and cart around 20 hammers to repair stuff with (which never made any kind of sense at all, because a hammer is very unlikely to break even after very extended use, and very easily repaired if the head flies off the handle).

I certainly won't lose sleep over it if item degradation is taken out of Skyrim, although it would make sense to keep it as a crafting skill.

yumyumgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yumyumgr
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I prefer realism. OK, the weapons have to break, it's only natural, but perhaps not so often.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23979 Posts

The durability system was a bad in previous elder scrolls games. But I feel the system could still work well if implemented correctly. Some games have had excellent uses of durability systems, like the Dead Rising games as someone here previously mentioned.

What I want personally is some kind of limitation on more powerful weapons.

But as usual, devs take the easy and short way out and remove things that dont work perfectly.

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
Having to get repair up to 50 to repair magic items was the dumbest thing ever...so yeah i'm glad it is gone.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I'm glad it's gone in Skyrim. If done right weapon/armor degradation can add to the gameplay but when done poorly(Oblivion) it just gets annoying.
Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

The removal of breakable items in Skyrim is both good and bad ... good becouse you won't have to level up the repair skill as a maniac just to get something repaired, plus the durability loss gave a tiny bit of "realistic" touch ... and bad becouse it goes a bit more down the path of the usual hack n slash genre since you literally could kill every living thing out there, be it humanoid or whatever while exploring cities, outposts, dungeons and etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

This is slightly off topic, but does any one know of a mod that removes weapon and armor durability from Oblivion? I want to replay the game again, but this time without all the things that annoy me.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi

This is slightly off topic, but does any one know of a mod that removes weapon and armor durability from Oblivion? I want to replay the game again, but this time without all the things that annoy me.

Diophage

this is the only decent sounding one i could find

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1827

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

I hated it too, so im very happy that it is gone. I found it a hassle that you have 3 weapons to repair but only the tools/money to repair 1 :(

Philly1UPer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Philly1UPer
Member since 2010 • 1146 Posts

I mean, I do see where breakable weapons will be missed by the hardcore Elder Scroll fans. It just gives you that sense of realism. Its just like in real life with guns man. Always has to be cleaned and maintained. My only beef was how FAST the weapons broke down. I personally will not miss this feature, because I was left Nerd Raging many times in Oblivion when my best weapon would break during a boss fight or during an insane fight against 4 people. I didn't however like the whole carrying a certain amount of items. Its worse enough that wearing heavy armor slows you down already, but you couldn't even fast travel if you had too much stuff on you. Maybe they will go the Fallout New Vegas route and add in a Hardcore/Realism mode, where weapons break over time and such.

Philly1UPer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Philly1UPer
Member since 2010 • 1146 Posts

Diophage
I mean, you could go into the console command and just type in tgm for god mode. I mean...if you beat the game already, why not? haha. There should be some mods out there. I found this one, Doesn't fully stop your weapons from breaking, but slows it down greatly. http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/21504-relz-fatal-oblivion-104/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Thanks for the help, dudes. I'll try them both out.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Sure lets take out everything out of a game that makes it realistic, immersive, and challenging. Lets just turn everything into a button masher so that you feel invincible the whole time and you are really just watching a movie while pushing buttons.

I miss the old days when developers didn't cater to the instant gratification crowd. Games are too damn easy now.

I can't wait for Dark Souls. Those guys dont care to pander to spoiled cry baby. Thats why it will be a good game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Sure lets take out everything out of a game that makes it realistic, immersive, and challenging. Lets just turn everything into a button masher so that you feel invincible the whole time and you are really just watching a movie while pushing buttons.

I miss the old days when developers didn't cater to the instant gratification crowd. Games are too damn easy now.

I can't wait for Dark Souls. Those guys dont care to pander to spoiled cry baby. Thats why it will be a good game.

Mr_Ditters
Well, good thing those days are over. Have fun with your masochist rpg, though.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mr_Ditters

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Diophage

Dark Soul's will become a cultural phenomenon. Mark my words. It will cure the spoiled brat gamers of their need to have everything handed to them and show them that there is more fun to be had by having a sense of accomplishment.

If you don't play Dark Souls you will be missing out on the best, most artistic, and fun gaming experience in the past decade. After playing many hours of Demon's Souls and realizing how good it really is, I understand that From Software can do no wrong. They are ingenious artists.

Its because they said to themselves, "how can we make the best game"--not "how can we make as much money as possible from as wide an audience as possible." The 2nd attitude is why all games look and play the same now and are generally something that a monkey could play and win in several hours.

I only wish there were a PC version of that game. It would be so incredible with mods.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Mr_Ditters

Dark Soul's will become a cultural phenomenon. Mark my words. It will cure the spoiled brat gamers of their need to have everything handed to them and show them that there is more fun to be had by having a sense of accomplishment.

If you don't play Dark Souls you will be missing out on the best, most artistic, and fun gaming experience in the past decade. After playing many hours of Demon's Souls and realizing how good it really is, I understand that From Software can do no wrong. They are ingenious artists.

Its because they said to themselves, "how can we make the best game"--not "how can we make as much money as possible from as wide an audience as possible." The 2nd attitude is why all games look and play the same now and are generally something that a monkey could play and win in several hours.

sounds like someone is angry of someone elses gaming tastes. Makes you look bad
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

sleepingzzz

Although I didn't play this game, you're touching on the fundamental question about gameplay issue - is it fun? If the addition of a feature isn't fun, then why add it? Kudos to you keeping it simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Well in other games it is another resource to manage, and if done well it adds to the atmosphere. However it has been years since a game did eating right let alone armor degration, look at Ultima Underworld for a game with both done right.

In Skyrim's case people are whining because they are streamlining in a way that seems to be taking out the useless crap. The branch of magic they removed I remember almost never using even as a mage since all you needed was destruction and restoration. Different armor pieces never did much because it wasn't hard to get the 'best' armor really quick thanks to the leveling system, fewer armor pieces maybe make it harder to get the 'best' armor. The armor degration in Oblivion served no purpose and is better left out because the mechanic wasn't very well thought out.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#35 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I didn't mind it in Morrowind but would like to see something like being able to use similar weapons to repair a weapon. That way drops will be more significant, and it won't turn into a Diablo type game where you leave 99% of items on the ground because they are utterly useless.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr_Ditters

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

[QUOTE="Diophage"] Well, good thing those days are over. Have fun with your masochist rpg, though. wis3boi

Well I've spent enough time around spoiled brats to get very annoyed with laziness and the need to have everything given to you. Its a disease that is pervading the youth in our culture. Everything--not just games--is getting dumbed down. Thisis nowhere more seen than in the change in gaming in the past few years.

So yeah--lets keep the breaking swords and shields. Give us an RPG that aims for immersion and realism--not another skin of some other button masher game. And its ok too if playing the game involves some reading.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Mr_Ditters

Well I've spent enough time around spoiled brats to get very annoyed with laziness and the need to have everything given to you. Its a disease that is pervading the youth in our culture. Everything--not just games--is getting dumbed down. Thisis nowhere more seen than in the change in gaming in the past few years.

So yeah--lets keep the breaking swords and shields. Give us an RPG that aims for immersion and realism--not another skin of some other button masher game. And its ok too if playing the game involves some reading.

sorry if i prefer playing my game instead of reading a novel or looking at spreadsheets. Even repairing weapons and armor in Oblivion was just a click-fest. I'm glad it's gone.
psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 psp_mtness
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Diophage"]I see some people are complaining about it being removed in Skyrim, and I just don't get it. It bothered the hell out of me in Oblivion. The weapons break down too fast, and it just doesn't make any sense to begin with. I understand that in real life a blade will eventually wear down and become less effective, but I also understand that it's highly unlikely that it will break in half and be completely unusable. In my opinion, good riddance. Dead Rising 2 also had breakable weapons, and guess what? Yup. I hated it there, too. What do you think? sleepingzzz

I think they should keep that but, make horses have bags on them so you can store stuff on your horse. I thought that was one of the better ideas from Nehrim. Just make the overall amount you carry a good size more than what it was in Oblivion.

great idea, and by buying more expensive horses can allow for more bag storage space, love the idea, it is one of the most frustrating things about rpg's of this kind, so often i would be weighing up which cool item i would be dumping in order to pick up a even better cool item from a dungeon, the cave/dungeon in oblivion with those vampire lords come to mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Mr_Ditters

I only wish there were a PC version of that game. It would be so incredible with mods.

After playing 4 hours of Demon's Souls, I decided to get drunk to help me cope with the fact that I wasted 4 hours basically torturing myself. I'll be skipping out on this one for sure.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
They should get rid of items altogether. Whatever class (or skills) you pick should give you all the items you could need or want. That way you don't have to waste time trying to upgrade gear.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
They should get rid of items altogether. Whatever class (or skills) you pick should give you all the items you could need or want. That way you don't have to waste time trying to upgrade gear.KHAndAnime
That's just stupid.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Just-Breathe
They should get rid of items altogether. Whatever class (or skills) you pick should give you all the items you could need or want. That way you don't have to waste time trying to upgrade gear.KHAndAnime
Thats a terrible idea :?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]They should get rid of items altogether. Whatever class (or skills) you pick should give you all the items you could need or want. That way you don't have to waste time trying to upgrade gear.Just-Breathe

You say that now, but when they implement it into the next Elder Scrolls - you'll be glad they did. Think of all that wasted time trying to find gear? This way, you start out with it so now you can get straight to the action, 100% of the time. A huge step forward if you ask me. I'm not a fan of that masochist crap in my RPGs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] It's easier, so obviously it's better. [QUOTE="Just-Breathe"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]They should get rid of items altogether. Whatever class (or skills) you pick should give you all the items you could need or want. That way you don't have to waste time trying to upgrade gear.KHAndAnime

You say that now, but when they implement it into the next Elder Scrolls - you'll be glad they did. Think of all that wasted time trying to find gear? This way, you start out with it so now you can get straight to the action, 100% of the time. A huge step forward if you ask me.

I did not find it a waste of time to explore and try to find new gear and items. I just found it a waste of time having to fix my weapons every half hour, and it also drains a lot of gold, which can get annoying as well.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
While it does add realism, I can't really stand it either.
psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 psp_mtness
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]They should get rid of items altogether. Whatever class (or skills) you pick should give you all the items you could need or want. That way you don't have to waste time trying to upgrade gear.KHAndAnime

You say that now, but when they implement it into the next Elder Scrolls - you'll be glad they did. Think of all that wasted time trying to find gear? This way, you start out with it so now you can get straight to the action, 100% of the time. A huge step forward if you ask me. I'm not a fan of that masochist crap in my RPGs.

part of the fun of rpg's is building your character up from a lowbi to a formidable force, leveling your character learning new skills and being able to upgrade and handle better gear is the main part of the 'more' factor of rpg's, having it all at the start would be a terrible idea and drive myself and probably many others away from the genre.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Just-Breathe

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Diophage"] Thats a terrible idea :?Diophage

You say that now, but when they implement it into the next Elder Scrolls - you'll be glad they did. Think of all that wasted time trying to find gear? This way, you start out with it so now you can get straight to the action, 100% of the time. A huge step forward if you ask me.

I did not find it a waste of time to explore and try to find new gear and items. I just found it a waste of time having to fix my weapons every half hour, and it also drains a lot of gold, which can get annoying as well.

Yeah exactly. Finding new weapons and armor was always fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
While it does add realism, I can't really stand it either.Treflis
Who needs realism when you're playing a god damn fantasy game? Especially this half baked kind of realism that really isn't realistic if you think about it.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Diophage"] Thats a terrible idea :?Diophage

They should probably just rid of gold as well. It's an annoying mechanic - why the hell should you have to collect gold? It's a hassle enough having to actually quick-travel to a town and find a merchant. They know you're questing to save Tamriel - they should just give you everything for free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
[QUOTE="Diophage"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] You say that now, but when they implement it into the next Elder Scrolls - you'll be glad they did. Think of all that wasted time trying to find gear? This way, you start out with it so now you can get straight to the action, 100% of the time. A huge step forward if you ask me.KHAndAnime

They should probably just rid of gold as well. It's an annoying mechanic - why the hell should you have to collect gold? It's a hassle enough having to actually quick-travel to a town and find a merchant. They know you're questing to save Tamriel - they should just give you everything for free.

Trolololololol. I'll pass on that.