What the hell happened to Crytek?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

Back in the day, Crytek made some really cool games such as Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis Warhead. But things started going downhill with Crysis 2. It was nowhere near their earlier work, but still moderately enjoyable. Then, Crytek hit a new low with Crysis 3. The game was so dull and boring, that it would be better used for inducing sleep in insomniacs, than for entertainment. It was actually more of a technology showcase, and less of a game. Crytek seem to be hell bent on pushing the graphics to their limit (which is not necessarily a bad thing), but in this process, they seem to have totally lost the ability to develop enjoyable games. I have no faith left in Crytek anymore. People are saying Ryse: Son of Rome looks promising, but I won't talk about it now because its an XBox exclusive, and I'm a PC-only gamer. Still, I certainly feel that although Crytek designs stunning game engines, their days as a game developer should come to an end soon. Since they are so interested in ONLY graphics, they should concentrate on developing cutting edge game engines, and just outsource game development to some other studio. So, what do you people feel regarding this?

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
Well pretty much when a studio hits it big game quality usually drops, in reality I only enjoyed the first crysis. Unfortunatelly ass soon as a small studio has success with a game a big publisher like EA comes and bang we are pushing Crysis 99 out the door just so they can milk it. I would like to believe that games are made by people with great imagination that just come up with an idea in a bar and then make it happen.
Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

tumblr_ma9lzf2xNv1qc0yog.gif

^^

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Their downfall coincides with their decision to develop multiplatform games.
Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
I agree that Crysis 3 was one of the most boring games I've played in recent times. Unfortunately one of the very few I've actually bought on disc at full price on launch day as well. :(
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
What do you mean? Crytek were NEVER that good. I found Crysis 1 to be bland, boring, lifeless and very repetitive... the whole sandbox aspect was near pointless because there was nothing to do or see outside of where you had to go.... They've made pretty graphic average gameplay shooters.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

I found Crysis 1 to be bland, boring, lifeless and MBirdy88
I'm not going to disagree with you here as that's your opinion. I find Neighbours to be lifeless, bland and boring even though hundreds of thousands of people do not.

and very repetitive MBirdy88
Now you're going into dodgy territory by making blank statements which don't make any sense. How exactly is Crysis "repetitive" when compared to the rest of the games in its genre? Now considering this is a FPS which allows the player to stealth, super jump, fast run, drive vehicles, drive tanks.. Go off the beaten path into jungle esque warfare. Swim, drive boats.. man turrents. Shoot down trees. Shoot down large aliens, shoot koreans.

The environment of the game goes from dense jungles, to ice frozen wastelands to the interior of alien space crafts. Call of Duty is repetitive, Crysis is not.

the whole sandbox aspect was near pointless because there was nothing to do or see outside of where you had to go.... MBirdy88

Crysis is not a sandbox game for starters. It's a free roaming First person shooter on a desert island. And the free roaming aspect allows different approaches to how to play the game. How does it improve the game? for the reasons I listed above such as the use of vehicles/stealth/flanking etc. You're obviously a nub, you should learn to play.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

So over these "cry cry Crysis 2 and 3 aren't sandbox games" topics that show up every month.

Crysis 1 was great, both in the technical department and gameplay with the whole suit and open areas.

Crysis 2 was too safe on Crytek's part, probably because it was also going to consoles.

Crysis 3 was great again. It pushed the technical aspect forward and opened up the areas for some nice gameplay.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Consoles happened.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

>implying Crysis 3 is worse than the first third of Crysis 2

>implying Crysis 3 is worse than the final third of Crysis 2

top lel

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

tumblr_ma9lzf2xNv1qc0yog.gif

^^

PfizersaurusRex

Couldn't have said it better really. Consoles bring in the money and crysis might as well be a giant tech demo. They will make much much more money off licensing cry engine. This is also why crytek is trying to go F2P as well. Making a good game is like last on their to do list.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

What do you mean? Crytek were NEVER that good. I found Crysis 1 to be bland, boring, lifeless and very repetitive... the whole sandbox aspect was near pointless because there was nothing to do or see outside of where you had to go.... They've made pretty graphic average gameplay shooters.MBirdy88

:lol:

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Consoles happened.

pelvist

dont say that.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
They wanted call of duty like success, they weren't afraid to use it as a template. They basically wanted 20 million sales by moving to consoles, which is obviously lol worthy. Now they just get money from Warface in Russia and quite frankly don't care much about the western audience. They'll probably still release some shooters, like Homefront 2, and probably do a few other F2P games. C1 > C2 > C3
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Consoles happened.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#16 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
They haven't made a good game since Crysis 1.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Crysis1 was just a fluke, and even then its gunplay and enemy type/synergy leave much to be desired. CryTek is clearly very skilled at tech, but that's all they've really done... tech demos.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]What do you mean? Crytek were NEVER that good. I found Crysis 1 to be bland, boring, lifeless and very repetitive... the whole sandbox aspect was near pointless because there was nothing to do or see outside of where you had to go.... They've made pretty graphic average gameplay shooters.N30F3N1X

:lol:

You laugh but its true. Why any game deserves 9.5 with such a failure of a multiplayer..... boring kill koreans in large mpty spaces then linear horrible ice levels is sooooo great. face it graphic whoring game that nobody would of hyped if it wasn't so pretty.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]What do you mean? Crytek were NEVER that good. I found Crysis 1 to be bland, boring, lifeless and very repetitive... the whole sandbox aspect was near pointless because there was nothing to do or see outside of where you had to go.... They've made pretty graphic average gameplay shooters.

Totally agree with this.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Egotism breeds complacency.  That pretty much sums up Crytek completely. 

And Ryse looks like somethign I wouldn't bother downloading if they were giving it away for free.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

So over these "cry cry Crysis 2 and 3 aren't sandbox games" topics that show up every month.

Crysis 1 was great, both in the technical department and gameplay with the whole suit and open areas.

Crysis 2 was too safe on Crytek's part, probably because it was also going to consoles.

Crysis 3 was great again. It pushed the technical aspect forward and opened up the areas for some nice gameplay.

FelipeInside
I really enjoyed all 3 games. I played them all in a row a few months back and really enjoyed the series all together. The story leaves plot holes the size of a planet, but I thought the gameplay was pretty good across all 3 games.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Arthas045
I really enjoyed all 3 games. I played them all in a row a few months back and really enjoyed the series all together. The story leaves plot holes the size of a planet, but I thought the gameplay was pretty good across all 3 games.

Shhh...don't say good things about Crysis.... it gets great reviews everywhere but people here will think ur crazy...
Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
[QUOTE="Arthas045"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

Shhh...don't say good things about Crysis.... it gets great reviews everywhere but people here will think ur crazy...

I really am starting to notice that. I MEAN........ I HATE IT!
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58479 Posts

Crytek is a game engine developer playing at being a plain ol' game developer.

Crysis 1 was their best game because it had to be.  Crysis 2 and 3, well, as others have said its about the money now and multiplatforming lol.

With that said, I've enjoyed all their games a lot.  But Crysis 1 and Warhead will likely go down as some of my favorite shooters.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="Arthas045"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

Critic reviews are almost always biased. The truth about a game (or a movie or album) is only indicated by user reviews. Critics are paid to write reviews, and they wouldn't even have spent a penny on actually purchasing the game. But users are usually common people who have actually purchased the game with their hard earned money, so what THEY say is a lot more accurate than what critics say.

Anyway, I'l just post the average metacritic user ratings for Crytek games, beginning from Far Cry and unil Crysis 3:-

Far Cry - 8.1

Crysis - 7.9

Crysis: warhead - 7.9

Crysis 2 - 6.6

Crysis 3 - 6.3

Crytek's 'downward spiral' is pretty obvious. So you see, even though some people (including you) might disagree, the statistics paint a completely different picture.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 funkyzoom

Crysis 1 was their best game because it had to be.  Crysis 2 and 3, well, as others have said its about the money now and multiplatforming lol.

With that said, I've enjoyed all their games a lot.  But Crysis 1 and Warhead will likely go down as some of my favorite shooters.

mrbojangles25

Yeah right. And I certainly feel that Crytek would have developed much better games if they had stayed with Ubisoft and continued with the Far Cry series, rather than teaming up with EA.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
They want to be a popular 'general core' developer ala Infinity Ward / Treyarch, Guerilla or DICE. And as a result they utterly compromised and forgot what made their games good to begin with. It's sad I'm still super fond of Far Cry and Crysis and I spent too much time level sculpting in both those games.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Crysis1 was just a fluke, and even then its gunplay and enemy type/synergy leave much to be desired. CryTek is clearly very skilled at tech, but that's all they've really done... tech demos.Inconsistancy
That's probably true. Far Cry looked great at the time, but it was just a corridor crawl with jungle for walls. Hang-gliding was the only good memorable thing in that game. Of course, the story turns into a zombie fest half way through, so I guess the story is also memorable for being bad. Since Crysis, it's been one soulless game after another.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts
Their downfall coincides with their decision to develop multiplatform games.PernicioEnigma
Agreed the 1st Crysis is still by in large way superior to 2 and 3! 2 was so bad i couldnt finish it and 3... well didnt finish that either.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58479 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

funkyzoom

Yeah right. And I certainly feel that Crytek would have developed much better games if they had stayed with Ubisoft and continued with the Far Cry series, rather than teaming up with EA.

I think they would have, possibly.  

Ubisoft may have taken a giant dump on PC gamers with their DRM and whatnot, but they do make and publish really enjoyable games.  Would Crytek have continued to improve upon their success had they remained with them, or would they have ridden on that success as they have with EA? I don't know.

Either way, I think they're a good developer, and whatever shortcomings they might have, they more than make up for with technical aptitude (I mean, have you seen Star Citizen? Holy crap it is gorgeous!).

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10537 Posts

they peaked with crysis1 which was / is a masterpiece in my eyes - even the 'controversial' final third when the game switches tempo from sandbox to linear fast paced action, i thought was a masterstroke and just what the story / game needed at that point.

far cry was very good but the eagle eyed enemies got on my nerves quickly and there were some serious difficulty spikes later in the game.

since crysis though, it has all been downhill. i'm one of those who enjoyed crysis 2 even though they destroyed the storyline and cliffhanger ending of 1 and just hated 3. as guynamedbilly said i thought 3 was a soulless, shell of a game. i was that disinterested in the story / characters / setting / gameplay i couldn't even finish it. such a disappointment to see a developer as capable as crytek fall so far, so fast

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
They just wanted to get their foot in the door so they can do what they like to do and make big bucks (making game engines). What Crytek does is they get together around a big table and have discussions about how they can figure out how to get the gameplay to serve the graphics.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts
Crysis 3 is the best one. Crysis 1 was fun only when you were fighting the Koreans, but as soon as the flying octopuses showed up, it got pretty f*cking bad. Crysis 2 was a bit too linear and limiting, but made great improvements when it came to the alien enemies. Crysis 3 just took the best elements out of all of them and melded it together into one awesome little package. That's just me, though. I don't know why people were so obsessed with the original Crysis... Far Cry 1 was a much better game.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10537 Posts

I don't know why people were so obsessed with the original Crysis... Far Cry 1 was a much better game. Lost-to-Apathy

with crysis it was the way the game immersed you and sucked you in by giving you so much freedom to accomplish your goals and get from point a to b in whatever way you saw fit. there were very few pauses in the flow of the game. day turned to night and back again which, coupled with the huge open levels, multitude of pathways and attacking options, helped make it so immersive and contributed to its journey-like feel, backed up by great shooting mechanics and an impressive armory. and then of course there were the graphics - the most photorealistic of any game by some distance (at the time) - which further contributed to the atmosphere and immersion.

sure, when you first left the alien ship it was a huge shift in emphasis compared to what had previously come before it and i can see why people disliked battling the aliens, they just weren't as much fun as battling the koreans, but once you'd rescued prophet and left the ice sphere it morphed into a relentlessly fast paced action game - a change of pace the game really needed at that point to give the, admittedly generic (but effective) storyline, the credibility it needed.

in fact some of the most epic moments were towards the end of the game - looking up to see the huge alien ship slowly fly out from the ice sphere, the huge spider like ceph bursting through the canyon wall, the final battle and then the ending with prophet commandeering a ship and flying back to the island. that's just my take on it anyway. it blew me away when i first played it and very few games have done that throughout my near 30 years of gaming

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]I don't know why people were so obsessed with the original Crysis... Far Cry 1 was a much better game. Macutchi

with crysis it was the way the game immersed you and sucked you in by giving you so much freedom to accomplish your goals and get from point a to b in whatever way you saw fit. there were very few pauses in the flow of the game. day turned to night and back again which, coupled with the huge open levels, multitude of pathways and attacking options, helped make it so immersive and contributed to its journey-like feel, backed up by great shooting mechanics and an impressive armory. and then of course there were the graphics - the most photorealistic of any game by some distance (at the time) - which further contributed to the atmosphere and immersion.

sure, when you first left the alien ship it was a huge shift in emphasis compared to what had previously come before it and i can see why people disliked battling the aliens, they just weren't as much fun as battling the koreans, but once you'd rescued prophet and left the ice sphere it morphed into a relentlessly fast paced action game - a change of pace the game really needed at that point to give the, admittedly generic (but effective) storyline, the credibility it needed.

in fact some of the most epic moments were towards the end of the game - looking up to see the huge alien ship slowly fly out from the ice sphere, the huge spider like ceph bursting through the canyon wall, the final battle and then the ending with prophet commandeering a ship and flying back to the island. that's just my take on it anyway. it blew me away when i first played it and very few games have done that throughout my near 30 years of gaming

This.

The following games in the series had none of this and tossed away what made it so great

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

Consoles happened.

sukraj

dont say that.

Consoles happened.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

[QUOTE="sukraj"]

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

Consoles happened.

pelvist

dont say that.

Consoles happened.

They still made Crysis 1 happen on consoles. I think the real reason was that they just wanted to appeal to a wider audience like Halo or Call of Duty does. If they wanted to they could have made Crysis 2 a sandbox shooter like Crysis 1 and still put it on consoles... I think they just legitimately wanted to take Crysis into a different direction and make it a big hit like Halo... It kind of does remind me of Halo.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="sukraj"]

dont say that.

Lost-to-Apathy

Consoles happened.

They still made Crysis 1 happen on consoles. I think the real reason was that they just wanted to appeal to a wider audience like Halo or Call of Duty does. If they wanted to they could have made Crysis 2 a sandbox shooter like Crysis 1 and still put it on consoles... I think they just legitimately wanted to take Crysis into a different direction and make it a big hit like Halo... It kind of does remind me of Halo.

I never played Crysis 1 on consoles, but my friends who did told me that its a totally watered down version of its PC counterpart, and even the game experience feels totally different and unsatisfactory on consoles (even while not considering the inferior graphics quality on consoles).

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Honestly both of their big games(Farcry and Crysis) had dissapointing second halves when the non human enemies kicked in. But the first halves were BOSS. :cool:

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
EA
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside
EAcouly
I thought Crysis 1 was an EA game too.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="couly"]EAFelipeInside
I thought Crysis 1 was an EA game too.

It was, and back then in 2007 EA hadn't gone off the deep end yet
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Crysis 2 and 3 were both terrible.
gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
Well pretty much when a studio hits it big game quality usually drops, in reality I only enjoyed the first crysis. Unfortunatelly ass soon as a small studio has success with a game a big publisher like EA comes and bang we are pushing Crysis 99 out the door just so they can milk it. I would like to believe that games are made by people with great imagination that just come up with an idea in a bar and then make it happen.Silicel1
Crysis was always going to be a trilogy. I thought it had great potential. Then they went full retard with crysis 2 and 3 and pretty much acted like crysis 1 never existed :/.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#45 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I don't get the Crytek love or the hate as if they betrayed their fans.

I thought Far Cry was stupid.  I couldn't stand it and stopped playing after a few hours.  Crysis was amazing.  But Crysis Warhead was just fun.  Crysis 2 was also just fun.  I haven't played Crysis 3 but I imagine it's also just fun.

They've made one game that I would call legitimately great and it was back in 2007.  They never were nor will they really be all that amazing.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Their downfall coincides with their decision to develop multiplatform games.PernicioEnigma
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Precisely.  

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

What do you mean? Crytek were NEVER that good. I found Crysis 1 to be bland, boring, lifeless and very repetitive... the whole sandbox aspect was near pointless because there was nothing to do or see outside of where you had to go.... They've made pretty graphic average gameplay shooters.MBirdy88

This x999999

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]What do you mean? Crytek were NEVER that good. I found Crysis 1 to be bland, boring, lifeless and very repetitive... the whole sandbox aspect was near pointless because there was nothing to do or see outside of where you had to go.... They've made pretty graphic average gameplay shooters._SKatEDiRt_

This x999999

LOL..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_-2wbWpyo
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 funkyzoom

Crysis 2 and 3 were both terrible. Elann2008

Yeah, EXACTLY. Their first 3 games - Fary Cry, Crysis and Crysis Warhead were materpieces, but from then onwards, it was a downward spiral. As someone mentioned, their decision to go multi-platform brought about their downfall. But I still have a slight hope that Crytek may return to their glory days, because of the powerful bext-gen consoles.