What RTS should I start out with??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ehdinello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ehdinello
Member since 2005 • 127 Posts
I have never really played or gotten into RTS games, but I've seen that Command and Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander are getting high praise and I am looking for something new and different to play. Anyone have any suggestions on which one I should start out with?? Preferably one with an easy learning curve as, like I said, never really played an RTS before. Thanx.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Command and Conquer 3 has an easy learning curve, Supcom is for the elitist.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I'd say Command and Conquer 3, Company of Heroes or Dawn of War are decent starting games.
Be prepared though, if you've never played an RTS before, Company of Heroes may be a challenge. (Not in controls or the UI or anything, but IMO the AI was far tougher than in most RTS games).
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
Starcraft is still good, if you don't mind the 640x480 resolution :D
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I'd say Command and Conquer 3, Company of Heroes or Dawn of War are decent starting games.
Be prepared though, if you've never played an RTS before, Company of Heroes may be a challenge. (Not in controls or the UI or anything, but IMO the AI was far tougher than in most RTS games).Doom_HellKnight
Dawn of War is probably the easiest to get into.
FrozeN__54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FrozeN__54
Member since 2005 • 3434 Posts
Warcraft 3
phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts
I never C&C3 so I know nothing about it, but I guess it is easy to learn. Anyway, I usually find that old RTS games are easy to learn and/or simple. Something like Starcraft or Red Alert 2. If you want to play newer ones then try Command and Concquer 3, b ut stay away from Company of Heroes. This game is quite different from the normal RTS games so I wouldn't recommend it to someone who never played RTS games before.
hikari33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 hikari33
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts

Starcraft,Warcraft 3,C&C are all great starters

personally i think starcraft is the easiest

and like every1's alrdy said STAY AWAY FROM COMPANY HEROES, its extremly hard and requires a lot of skill

PCgamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PCgamerX
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts
I would recommend either Starcraft Battle Chest or Warcraft III Battle Chest.  I think they each cost about $20.
Arafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Arafen
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

you can get Warcraft 3 and the expansion for like 35-40 dollars.   good deal, and i think that its in the running for the best game of all time.  i still play it all the time.

just my opinion 

PLank52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PLank52
Member since 2005 • 472 Posts

warcraft 3 was really great, so was starcraft

wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts

I have never really played or gotten into RTS games, but I've seen that Command and Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander are getting high praise and I am looking for something new and different to play. Anyone have any suggestions on which one I should start out with?? Preferably one with an easy learning curve as, like I said, never really played an RTS before. Thanx.ehdinello

get C&C3 it's a great game to play in Campaign and Skirmish and even online when they fix all those damn errors and it's easy to learn too 

whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
Company of Heroes is the best i've played in a long long time but of the 2 you listed, C&C 3 is easier and better than SupCom in my opinion
Laser_Eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Laser_Eyes
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I also got into RTS games recently after playing nothing but FPS games for years.  I recommend you try Homeworld and Ground Control.  They are simple, easy games and ideal for someone new to the RTS genre.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
age of empires is by far the simpilest a 2 year old could do it.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts
CnC 3 or Dawn of War (with its 2 expansions!) are probably the best beginner RTSs. Company of Heroes is an excellent game, but its probably too difficult to start out with.
Giedriuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Giedriuz
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts
Medieval Total War 2 is a good game... but I'm not sure if its good for a start..
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

Starcraft is still good, if you don't mind the 640x480 resolution :DZero_Space

Starcraft is the best game to start out with. It is the best RTS for it's time. And the game and its expo is like $20 together.

Warcraft III is a good one and so are:

C&C Generals + Xpack

Red Alert 2

Company of Heroes

Rise of Nations 

SpazH3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpazH3d
Member since 2005 • 1739 Posts
Whats wrong with Battle for middleearth 2? :(
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts
Warcraft 3 is a little harder because of micro-management but it's a great game. Try also Command and Conquer 3 or just wait for it to drop in price in like a year and a half or so. Definately get warcraft 3 and it's expansion. You won't be dissapointed!
HoodedMurderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HoodedMurderer
Member since 2003 • 592 Posts
Whats wrong with Battle for middleearth 2? :(SpazH3d
  As a RTS player im gonna say : Its imba  
ehdinello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ehdinello
Wow thanx for all of the suggestions everyone!! I found cheap copies of Warcraft 3 and StarCraft on Ebay so I'm going to give those a shot and wait for a decent price drop on C&C 3 before picking that one up.
Doomhound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Doomhound
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts
Grab Company of Hero's, the best RTS ever and after the first few missions doa  few matches against the  computer before going online.
white45e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 white45e
Member since 2006 • 2453 Posts

and like every1's alrdy said STAY AWAY FROM COMPANY HEROES, its extremly hard and requires a lot of skill

hikari33
i actually found it to be my most favorite and easiest rts to play to date. its basicly made so perfectly that even if you suck at first its easy to get better i would buy this game if you can run it its far better then any rts ever made IMO. the only rts that could come close is sc or red alert but red alert just didnt age well and sc is all about FASTEST MAP POSSIBLE IMFINITIE RESOURCES FTL its just not fun anymore. get COH
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

Why have Medieval TW2 and COH been forgotten already? Much better games than C&C3 and SupCom.

HoodedMurderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HoodedMurderer
Member since 2003 • 592 Posts
[QUOTE="hikari33"]

white45e

i actually found it to be my most favorite and easiest rts to play to date. its basicly made so perfectly that even if you suck at first its easy to get better i would buy this game if you can run it its far better then any rts ever made IMO.

the only rts that could come close is sc or red alert but red alert just didnt age well and sc is all about FASTEST MAP POSSIBLE IMFINITIE RESOURCES FTL its just not fun anymore.

get COH

QFT.

CoH is braindead-easy. 

Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts
COH hard? It's the first RTS i played since RA2 and found it to be easy to play hard to master.
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

Warcraft 3 is a little harder because of micro-management but it's a great game. Try also Command and Conquer 3 or just wait for it to drop in price in like a year and a half or so. Definately get warcraft 3 and it's expansion. You won't be dissapointed!Unstoppable_1

I just bought CC3 brand new for 39 dollars, including tax ....waiting a year and a half to save maybe 10-15 bucks sounds a little extreme. Anyways, go out and get yourself a copy of Warhammer 40K : Dawn of War, should be able to find a new or good used one for cheap if money is tight. There are good finds for Dawn of War packaged with Winter Assault expansion pack and Dark Crusade is terrific. These RTS games are easy to learn and play and will help you get a feel for them to be able to move on to other's, which there are many good ones already mentioned here.

Ebougile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ebougile
Member since 2005 • 2168 Posts

For someone starting out in the genre, I would suggest something where the AI does not go too hard on you (at least at the lower difficulty settings).  I got my start with Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 and it was a great place to start.  You might want to start out with something like Command & Conquer The First Decade (great collection of games), Age of Empires 2 or Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, and even Battle For Middle-Earth (the first game is good because you get pre-defined bases that are easy to defend).  Dawn of War is not bad either, and Tiberium Wars seems like a good choice too.

I don't think Company of Heroes is a good choice for someone new to the genre since the difficulty is geared more towards someone who is skilled and competent with RTS games.

ehdinello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ehdinello

I changed my mind about WarCraft 3 after reading a little about it. I'm not really into the fairy/elves/ogres/magic type games. But I did actually find and buy  cheap copys of Starcraft and Dawn of War off EBay. Company of Heroes looks good too (as I am just starting to get into the whole WWII genre as well) but is it really that hard as everyone says it is?? Is there an easy mode option for it?? I also think the new C&C 3 looked good, but I just played a demo and wasn't too thrilled about it. Thanx again for all the suggestions everyone.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
Command and Conquer 3 has an easy learning curve, Supcom is for the elitist.smokeydabear076
Agreed. SupCom is hard and very hardcore rtsing. You could try AoE series, and the like Or RoN. Rise of Nations=one of the best rts ever :).
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
StarCraft.
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

Warcraft 3 is a little harder because of micro-management but it's a great game.Unstoppable_1

that's excatly what I said in my review!

seems like no one except you agree with me tho.

MicroM336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MicroM336
Member since 2004 • 106 Posts
Age of Empires II still has by far the best in game learning senarios for people who have never played a rts.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

I would have to say either Command and Conquer: The First Decade or Warcraft 3 Battle Chest.  Both franchises have easy learning curves, and are good values so if you feel like its not the genre for you, you only wasted 20-30 dollars.  And if you feel adventurous, I recommend Homeworld and Homeworld 2.  The games are a little tougher than a tradtional RTS as there is the whole concept of a third dimension, but the mechanics are easy and in their own right (at least the original) they are problably the closest thing to revolutionary that has graced the RTS genre since its birth.

Some games I dont  recommend you start with are the following:

Company of Heroes (CoH) or Dawn of War (DoW): this is a great game, but the mix of squad combat, "realism", and micromanagement really overwhelms a lot of people, especially in the heat of combat.  I even get a little baffled and I consider myself an RTS veteran, if not a diehard fan of the genre.

Supreme Commander (SupCom): not only is this game a system hog, but there is a huge amount of micromanagement and there can be hundreds of units on the screen at once.  In addition, the amount of unit variety could add some confusion as you might not know what to with them.  Also, SupCom is more of a multiplayer-focused RTS according to the community, and the last thing you want when first starting out is to get your ass handed to you on your first match.  However, I highly recommend getting this game as it is truly excellent and would be a good stepping stone into both a more complex game and more competative multiplayer, if thats your interest.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
try some in the loot -warcraft series -starcraft series -C&C series -warhammer series you got more then enought games to try with just those series
ElvisNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 ElvisNixon
Member since 2003 • 551 Posts
I have never really played or gotten into RTS games, but I've seen that Command and Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander are getting high praise and I am looking for something new and different to play. Anyone have any suggestions on which one I should start out with?? Preferably one with an easy learning curve as, like I said, never really played an RTS before. Thanx.ehdinello
i would go right for the bargain bin and buy starcraft. lots of gaming in that box for a few dollars. especially if you are new to the genre. SC has about a decade of troubleshooting behind it, and would be a fairly balanced rts to cut your teeth on. except protos is still the strongest....
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

Start with a couple of freebies that actually appear on Gamespot....

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/swine/download.html?sid=6141612&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;2

And follow the links to this - a super title

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/groundcontrol/news.html?sid=6101566&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;1

8)

acidbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 acidbite
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts
C&C: Tiberium Wars is a very good game.
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
Star Craft, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Warhammer, Company of Heroes or Supreme Commander which personally I think that its pretty complicated for the beginning RTS player