What is the sense of releasing games on the PC 5 months later?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

There have been plenty of times in the past where game publishers will put out a video game on the consoles and then the PC version will come out five months later. Capcom did this with Devil May Cry 4 way back, when it did came out on the PC everyone would have bought it got it for their console and all its left were a few who dont have a console.  They apparently expected to sell millions more until it sold badly and then blamed piracy. Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Dead Space 2 and other games all came out at the same time on all platforms, they all have done very well.

What is the sense of continuing this practice of releasing video games months apart on the PC?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Makes people buy it on consoles first where it costs more usually and nets sony/MS more profits, then wait later and release the superior PC versions where some people will by it again. 

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Sometimes it gives developers a chance to add more content to the game for the PC version. I like seeing that.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

a: more people most likely game on 360/ps3 so why not put your resources there?

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Some times there differnt codes for the pc an the xbox..So they have to make it pc ready i think any how..Also some developers actually make the pc version better some not many..If the coding is different they have to port it over to make it work on the pc..

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Sometimes it gives developers a chance to add more content to the game for the PC version. I like seeing that.

Falconoffury

especially when you have to pay for it right? :P

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

A few possible reasons:

Backlash for a bad PC port is worse than delaying the release. PC sales are lower than console sales, so they feel it won't hurt their overall sales much by delaying it. Also, the release can be better timed to be outside the release window of another competitive game.

Get more people to play it on console to improve the publisher/developer relations with console makers (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo). A long term positive relationship = discounted rates to get future games on the consoles.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Makes people buy it on consoles first where it costs more usually and nets sony/MS more profits, then wait later and release the superior PC versions where some people will by it again. 

wis3boi

This.  If they release the console version alongside the superior and cheaper PC version then more people would buy the PC version. Instead they delay the PC version, act like they are optimising it or adding new features and release it months later after everyone has already played it on consoles with 45 FOV poorly implemented controls, a console UI and press start to play. Then they whine about low sales on PC and blame piracy.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

pelvist

This.  If they release the console version alongside the superior and cheaper PC version then more people would buy the PC version. Instead they delay the PC version, act like they are optimising it or adding new features and release it months later after everyone has already played it on consoles with 45 FOV poorly implemented controls, a console UI and press start to play. Then they whine about low sales on PC and blame piracy.

i don't understand. People that like console will play it on console. People that like PC will buy it for PC. Would make sense to release both at same time for same price right? I mean if you want the game you going to get the game. But by releasing it on both platforms at same time would logically make bigger sales. Maybe they derps?
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

_SKatEDiRt_

i don't understand. People that like console will play it on console. People that like PC will buy it for PC. Would make sense to release both at same time for same price right? I mean if you want the game you going to get the game. But by releasing it on both platforms at same time would logically make bigger sales. Maybe they derps?

They sometimes don't want gamers to have a choice. sometime they want as much money as possible for the 360/ps3 versions and are willing to hold back the PC version to do it. when GTA5 comes out those who have a Gaming PC and console(s) might feel the need to cave in and buy it on the consoles rather then wait for the PC version.

i plan on getting both versions anyway,but for different reasons.

badlalo59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 badlalo59
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts

Hows that saying go? "Better late than never...? I mean look at Halo3. That games been out for years and only recently was it announced it was coming to Steam. 1st day buy for me.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Hows that saying go? "Better late than never...? I mean look at Halo3. That games been out for years and only recently was it announced it was coming to Steam. 1st day buy for me.

badlalo59

What???

Just googled it.  Holy hell.  I played all Halo games up to Halo Reach except Halo 4, but I'd never expect this, if true.. 

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Larger markets, Plus at times devs are buddy buddy with consoles manufractors. Plus concern by investors on piracy on pc 

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
More time to port them and polish them.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I'm just glad they get released at all. Although I've had to wait far longer than 5 months for some games. Alan Wake for example.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="badlalo59"]

Elann2008

What???

Just googled it.  Holy hell.  I played all Halo games up to Halo Reach except Halo 4, but I'd never expect this, if true.. 

Hopefully they release mod tools with it so people can replace the fugly character models.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Capcom's PC releases have been god-like. They run maxed out on toasters. DMC4 and RE5 were amazing, despite being released later. Not to mention PC games sell over time, not instantly.

N3xus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 N3xus9
Member since 2004 • 566 Posts

I am going to go ahead and say the P word ... Piracy

Publishers won't release the PC game at the same time as consoles because they believe that PC Piracy being so prevalent will cannibalize console sales.

Now don't get me wrong, I think that is all just a big crock, and that good games sell regardless of piracy.

But apart from console manufacturers paying for exclusivity - it would be more advantageous for them to release a game on PC's at the same time as consoles from a sales point of view while the marketing hype is high. The optimisation excuse can be taken care of through patch and driver updates. 

They are worried about losing more sales than they already do to piracy and PC's being the easiest platform to pirate for means that it is treated like the red headed step child when it comes to timed releases.  

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts
Unfortunately, developers have to do something to combat the little sissies that call themselves "pirates". Pretending there aren't millions of lazy punks out there who steal whatever they can get their hands on, is just silly. Of course there are. If these bozos would get a job and pay for what they want, DRM and delays would eventually go away.