What is the diff between vista 32 bit and 64 bit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekenesis123
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit and an acquaintance of mine has 64-bit Ultimate. All I know so far is that he has had a tonne of problems with compatibility issues and upgrading.

All I see is a big pain in the butt, what gives, whats so great about the 64-bit version and what are its purported benefits?

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
64bit would be great when applications switch to 64bit since it's much faster than 32bit. People are using it now because they want their PC to be able to use 4GB of memory. 32bit will be able to use 3.0 - 3.5GB max. There isn't much of a benefit right now.
Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Telekenesis123
Ah, interesting, that explains it. His computer has 4 gigs of ram thats why he has it. Unfortunately all I have been hearing from him is problems and my 32-bit vista has been troule free. So I guess the lesson here is stay away from it unless you need it for hardware issues.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deihmos

I installed it last weekend and I also came across some problems but I guess it depends on the applications you use. I would prefer my PC to see 3.5GB of ram than having to deal with compatibility problems. Anything over 2GB isn't much of a benefit at the moment either.

When games, web browsers and applications switch to 64bit then I will try it again.

I also found the 32bit version to be faster so I got rid of the 64bit install.

1fast6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 1fast6
Member since 2004 • 729 Posts

a 32 bit OS is capable of working with 32 bit hardware and processes instructions in 32 bit chunks each clock cycle...

a 64 bit OS is capable of working with 64 bit hardware and processes instructions in 64 bit chunks each clock cycle when working with 64 bit capable software... not all software is programmed in 64 bit code, in fact most consumer level windows software is still only 32 bit code... some pro applications however will be 64 bit (high end graphics, CAD, etc)...

you can run 32 bit code on a 64 bit OS and hardware, but often times it is actually slower and more problem prone... maybe that what your friend is experiencing...

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Telekenesis123
Thank you for your nice reply!
superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts

I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit and an acquaintance of mine has 64-bit Ultimate. All I know so far is that he has had a tonne of problems with compatibility issues and upgrading.

All I see is a big pain in the butt, what gives, whats so great about the 64-bit version and what are its purported benefits?

Telekenesis123

He shouldn't have anyproblems unless he isn't computer Savy. Vista 64bit runs great and can run ANYTHING i want it to.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Telekenesis123"]

superkoolstud

He shouldn't have anyproblems unless he isn't computer Savy. Vista 64bit runs great and can run ANYTHING i want it to.

There are a number of programs that are not 100% compatible with Vista 64bit. Luckily you don't have any. It has nothing to do with being computer savvy.

MyHD tuner does not have any 64bit drivers.