What games made you all emotional and stuff?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I'm trying to find a new game that tries to move me emotionally in other ways than "**** me, that was an awesome explosion!!!"

One such game is Kotor imo. Maybe the end of Ep 2, but then I'm stretching it...

What games made you sad or care about the characters in a game, made you genuinly happy or hate something (other than optimization and gameplay)? Stuff like that. I'd love to play a game that tries to appeal to other sides of you than the 'fight or flight'-mechanisms of your body, I want a game that is more than a simple adrenaline rush. Or a stats-fest, which most RPGs are.

Let's try to leave scary games out of this, there are plenty of threads that have asked "The most scary..."-question.

siddhartha211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 siddhartha211
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts
The gameplay was mediocre, but Halo's music was really emotional and memorable. Very epic, heroic, melancholic sounding.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are the only games that made me somewhat emotional.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Those games are incredibly rare, but:

The Longest Journey - this game made me think--for the first time--that this girl...she could be real. She could be somebody I wanted to know. In a way, April Ryan was real and--this is going to sound strange perhaps--April and I just sort of clicked. Fantastic writing, a truly original and interesting storyline, and perhaps most importantly, characters that felt like real people is what makes The Longest Journey one of my most incredible and memorable gaming experiences ever. The fact that it had great puzzle design sure as hell didn't hurt, either.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Zoe was someone I could completely relate to - a directionless, lazy 20-something college student who simply didn't know what she wanted to do with her life...I've been there...a lot of us were. Just like its predecessor, Dreamfall featured real people with real problems, hopes and fears...then there's the scene with Zoe and Faith...completely heart-wrenching stuff.

I could perhaps name a handful of other games here too, but they simply cannot compare.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

The ending scenes of CoD4, CoD1 and HL2:EP2.

Starcraft and Warcraft 3 had their share of sad moments.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

A Mind Forever Voyaging

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

The end of the Norway campaign in Hidden and Dangerous 2. After gathering intel in the German base, the Norwegian resistance fighter who took you in leads you back out to the extraction point. If you aren't observant and quick (I wasn't) a German sniper drills him in the head. Felt very guilty about that.

Venoroth53535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#7 Venoroth53535
Member since 2007 • 135 Posts

I don't really know what you mean by..."emotional"...but I do know that I enjoyed playing World of Warcraft, it's a fun role-playing game, Metal Gear Solid is another one as well.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 artur79

Played all the CoD's. I do agree that CoD 4 has a few somewhat moving moments. Warcraft 3 felt like a cartoon to be honest. It's a good game, but I don't really see what's so great about the story and the chars, too cliche imo.

I never played TLJ more than for half an hour, I guess I'll give it one more chance.

MGS 1 & 2. I want to play these on my PC, but I hear that they run like ass on XP. Wanna play MGS 3 too, hopefully it comes out on PC someday.

name294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 name294
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

Game: Crysis

Emotion: Angry

Reason: Not having 8800 GeForce GTS

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

The Ending of Kindom Hearts.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NfgRNun8GwE&feature=related

MGS games.

FFX.

DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts
The gameplay was mediocre, but Halo's music was really emotional and memorable. Very epic, heroic, melancholic sounding.
siddhartha211
Yeah, the halo music makes me feel epic...
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Played all the CoD's. I do agree that CoD 4 has a few somewhat moving moments. Warcraft 3 felt like a cartoon to be honest. It's a good game, but I don't really see what's so great about the story and the chars, too cliche imo.

I never played TLJ more than for half an hour, I guess I'll give it one more chance.

MGS 1 & 2. I want to play these on my PC, but I hear that they run like ass on XP. Wanna play MGS 3 too, hopefully it comes out on PC someday.

artur79

I can hook you up with MGS 1 and 2. Got an Xfire? If so let me know and ill hook you up.- Private message.

Also I haven't tried playing them on PC but I don't see why XP won't run them well since they're made for XP.

DennisKumfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 DennisKumfi
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts

I cared a lot about the characters in Indigo Prophecy.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

name294

lol

I would say KOTOR because I was very happy with the choices they would give you

name294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 name294
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts
[QUOTE="name294"]

gamerguy845

lol

[QUOTE="name294"]

gamerguy845

lol

Eh? what do you mean?

Trilvester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Trilvester
Member since 2003 • 1857 Posts
KOTOR 1 was the only game that made me kinda emotional.
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

One such game is Kotor imo. Maybe the end of Ep 2, but then I'm stretching it...

artur79

Those and Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

I don't know if anyone else has heard about or played this game but Omikron: The Nomad Soul was probably the first game that made me care about game characters and about their deaths.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Most emotional: Metal Gear Solid 3 (I cried at the ending)

Other emotional games: any of the Metal Gear series (MGS1 IMO best game ever), Broken Sword 3, Indigo Prophecy, Syberia (a bit), Devil May Cry 3, Mass Effect

artur79

MGS1 runs good, but I had some problems after I got a new video card (I've beaten that game over 30 times, every time watched every cutscene and never got tired of it)

MGS2 is a bad port, but the story makes up for it (IMO the MGS series have the best stories ever). The controls are crap if you don't have a gamepad, though I managed to make the controls pretty good for keyboard too (I play it with a gamepad). If you have a ATI video card, get the patch, if you have a Geforce card, there's a fix, just PM me

And for MGS3, never gonna happen, I've lost hope a long time ago,I finished it on my friend's PS2

The Metal gear series are like movies, but if you can't play some of the games, every cutscene is on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Hcloud13)

I'll probably never play MGS Poratble ops, so I just watched the story there (though I highly recommend you play MGS1,2 and 3 'cos in MGS3 there's a plot twist even bigger than KOTOR's)

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 artur79

Yeah, I've got an 8800GTX and I've read that there are lots of problems with those cards and MGS on PC. That's why I have not bought them yet. I want to be able to run games I buy, lol.

Currently playing Fahrenheit. Played BS3. And Mass Effect. Freaking awesome game. Like watching a great movie at times.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Yeah, I've got an 8800GTX and I've read that there are lots of problems with those cards and MGS on PC. That's why I have not bought them yet. I want to be able to run games I buy, lol.

Currently playing Fahrenheit. Played BS3. And Mass Effect. Freaking awesome game. Like watching a great movie at times.

artur79

Well, MGS is even more cinematic than Mass Effect (and better and more emotional)

MGS2 runs good if you've got the fixes, as for MGS1 I recomend you use a PS emulator (that's what I do)

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts
Only Max Payne 2, and that's heavily due to the AMAZING soundtrack.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Not many games have had that kind of effect on me. There are two worth mentioning, though. The second most moving would probably be NOLF2.

*SPOILERS*

When you find out that that one super soldier keeps coming after Cate because she looks just like his daughter, and in his madness, the only remnant of his humanity is in his memory of her upon seeing Cate. Just kind of made me sad that this was once a normal guy whose life was destroyed and mind nearly wiped by evil scientists (both of which are things that were apparently intended, so the super soldiers would be mindless fighting machines), and the one constant which gave him reason and emotion, his daughter, was something he could never have back. Yet in the end, he gave his life to stop a war and protected Cate (or his daughter, as he thought) from the device overloading on his back by jumping off a cliff.

/spoilers

-

The most emotionally moving would be Myst III. Brad Dourif, the guy who played Wormtongue in the LotR movies, played the antagonist in the game through the typical Myst FMV sequences, and his performance was amazing. You get a good feel throughout the game for the pain and insanity he's going through thanks to Sirrus and Achenar, totally isolated and believing his family and all his people are dead, and Dourif plays a huge part in making you connect with him. The end-game is especially moving, as Saavedro has some really emotional moments and outbursts which Dourif acts out flawlessly. I know I'm bringing up Dourif a lot here, but seriously, the guy was the whole reason I liked the character so much in the first place. He acted out his part so well that it was like he was his character, not just playing the role of it. No bit of emotion was held back, no subconscious embarassment or insecurity in his acting curbed his ability to be his character in every form.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 artur79

Jp, Maybe I should replay Nolf 2, lol. I don't remember anything of it... Never played the first one either, so maybe it's about time to have another go with Cate Archer... Ehh.

Why did it not surprise me that Myst would somehow sneak into the thread when I saw your name? I think I have to play all the Mysts (expect 4), since you seem to be drooling every time you mention them. ;)

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Jp, Maybe I should replay Nolf 2, lol. I don't remember anything of it... Never played the first one either, so maybe it's about time to have another go with Cate Archer... Ehh.

artur79

You definitely need to play the first one. While NOLF2 is really great, NOLF is simply exceptional, and an overall substantially better game.

Why did it not surprise me that Myst would somehow sneak into the thread when I saw your name? I think I have to play all the Mysts (expect 4), since you seem to be drooling every time you mention them. ;)

artur79

:P I can't help it, they're so masterfully crafted in so many ways! Riven is the only one that's totally perfect, but still, the whole series is amazing.

drithius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drithius
Member since 2004 • 80 Posts

Planescape: Torment

Fallout (1)

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

Dark Earth:I loved being bad in this game.Just an example of what you can say with "Arkhan":

-Arkhan:Rotten slut,i'll teach you a lesson!

-Kali:Arkhan,NOOO!!!! Stop it Arkhan!!! You're scaring me!

-Phedoria:Arkhan!!! Take your hands off her!!

-Arkhan:Captain Phedoria...You want some?Come and get it!!

Deus Ex:When i was working for "Unatco",i felt like a real agent!! The bad thing came when i was forced to join my brother in his crusade against conspiracy.

Baldur's Gate II:I fell in love with "Jaheira".

Fallout:I remember a farm filled with nasty men that kicked my ass out.When i joined the "Brotherhood of Steel",i felt superior in many ways.I remember all the slaugtering i made with that futuristic suit.

Gothic III:Chopping an orcs head in middle of a revolution of peasents!!

Morrowind:FARGOTH! The best character of all time!!!! Killing the brother of "Orvas Dren" was quite good too.

Blood:Those satanic monks screaming scared the hell out of me.

Max Payne:This game can cause you strange feelings.

Path of Neo:Feel the power of the chosen one!

Lakin0817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Lakin0817
Member since 2004 • 440 Posts
I always thought Unreal 2 had an emotional ending.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

starcraft made me feel for kerrigan.

hl2: episode 2 had a very emotional ending.

mp2 has a very melodramatic (i.e., sappy) love story. it kinda made me want to gag. the game itself is very good, though.

diablo had a pretty poignant ending.

RazorGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RazorGR
Member since 2005 • 1605 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 3 was the only game that made me cry at the end.
Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rottenberry
Member since 2004 • 4908 Posts
Planescape: Torment. It made me feel both sad about TNO's fate, and that I knew there would never be a game that could parallell such amazing writing, and capture my emotion in the way Planescape did.
snipes2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 snipes2004
Member since 2003 • 164 Posts
The Witcher is a very story/character oriented game. If you can get past the crappy voice acting (epecially for Geralt), you can get pretty attached to the characters (at least I did).
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Out of all the games I've played, none have evoked an emotional response like Star Control II. The main reason is that I almost pity the Ur-Quan in the end after you hear their story of the Taalo, the Sentient Milieu, their mental enslavement by the Dnyarri, and the agony they had to endure in order to not get mind-controlled. However, I didn't pity them enough to refrain from unleashing instant homing Hellbore Cannon projectile rape upon every one that I encountered, not after their systematic enslavement or extermination of various other sentient species. I have yet to encounter another game villain that gives me that sense of near-pity.
Lakin0817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lakin0817
Anyone remeber out of this world for the Sega? It had a good ending.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
May Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne has been the only game to ever make me flat out cry at more than one point. Other games have made me get "teary-eyed" and many others have made me "emotional" but no game has ever moved me as much emotionally to the point of crying more than Max Payne 2.

It along with the first game are probably among the best games, in terms of story/character writing and presentation, ever made.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#35 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Max Payne 2's ending. I have nver felt so empty after finishing a game before.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two's ending as well.

Angered: GTA San Andreas "Supply Lines" - Need I say more?

Shocked: Deus Ex when you get to the airfield and discover that little twist with Paul.

BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

Max Payne 2's ending. I have nver felt so empty after finishing a game before.

biggest_loser

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!

I totally forgot about that. I now remember again that I felt really bad when Mona died. But shortly after that I heard that you could safe her and that made me really happy. Max Payne 2 was such a good game.

Kuyt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Kuyt19
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts

First, the Prince of Persia Trilogy - If you've played all three installments, then you'll probably feel it too. The way Farah died in the first game(Sands of Time), and the way the intro movie from the first game was played at the end of the final game(The Two Thrones). It was really touching.

Second, COD4 - The way Srgt.Jackson died from the nuke and watching our teammates fall one by one at the end of the game and not being able to do anything about it. That one was rather tough to swallow.

P.S. - I haven't played KOTOR, Max Payne 2 etc., so don't bash me up for not voting for them.:D

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 biggest_loser
Watch your spoilers. (Sorry!)
Kuyt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kuyt19

I will, from now on. (Not offended)

keeferius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 keeferius
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Beyond good and evil.
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

Dreamfall and The Longest Journey for sure.

Planescape as well. Not so much emotionally as philosophically.

Other than that the rest are console games which I will name anyways.

Ocarina of time

Twilight princess

The legacy of kain series

Eternal Sonata (very depressing)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Max Payne 2's ending. I have nver felt so empty after finishing a game before.biggest_loser

Empty? How? I thought the ending was perfect. It ended the game off like blowing out a candle.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Max Payne 2's ending. I have nver felt so empty after finishing a game before.foxhound_fox

Empty? How? I thought the ending was perfect. It ended the game off like blowing out a candle.

Yes, sorry, the ending (and game) is near perfect. I meant that I had an empty feeling of sadness really thinking about that ending. It was very moving and so well done. Both endings are great.

screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 screamingdoom
Member since 2007 • 884 Posts
Shadow of the Collosus, FFIX, parts of COD4, Metal Gear Solid 2. That's all I can think of right now. Oh and Stalker gave me emotions of dread, hopelessness and spookiness.
-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Socrates-
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts

well belive it or not the game that made me emotional was Bully (its not a pc game) but man the music was such an impact the storyline is great and so is the gameplay but the thing that caught my attention is that...man i love this game it feels like i can actually make an impact like this (not bullying but making a bond with freinds becoming a high school ledgend) yah thats it a high school ledgend :)

just my three cents

sihunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sihunt
Member since 2007 • 1116 Posts
It's an old game but Final Fantasy VII on the PC had one of the most well written stories for a game. The part where the girl dies(Ariel?)will make you cry your butt off.
Lakin0817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lakin0817

First, the Prince of Persia Trilogy - If you've played all three installments, then you'll probably feel it too. The way Farah died in the first game(Sands of Time), and the way the intro movie from the first game was played at the end of the final game(The Two Thrones). It was really touching.

Second, COD4 - The way Srgt.Jackson died from the nuke and watching our teammates fall one by one at the end of the game and not being able to do anything about it. That one was rather tough to swallow.

P.S. - I haven't played KOTOR, Max Payne 2 etc., so don't bash me up for not voting for them.:D

Kuyt19
Thanks dude, I haven't finished it yet. Now I'm not sure I want to.
Kuyt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kuyt19
No prob, man. I'll keep it comin', just for ya.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#49 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

Well, by emotional if you mean fainly touched by a game's ending, then I would have to say Tomb Raider 4 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. Apart from that, I don't think I ever felt emotional.

Of course, elation is a feeling of emotion as well, and I felt that when I finished Commandos and Desperados.

Kuyt19 , if you are going to include spoilers, at least have the courtesy to use spoilers tags.

claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts

artur79

You absolutely have to play the first one, it's such a good game. I just replayed it recently and had a blast. I've played all the latest games and I'm a self-admitting graphics whore; NOLF 1 is such a good game, it made even me look past the dated graphics.