What do YOU think is the most difficult component to choose?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

So, I'm currently planning a new build, and there is one part that has had me stumped, for days. I simply can't find a case in the $200, that has everything I want. I find something I think I'd be happy with, but then I'll notice one or two things that I know would just drive me nuts.
Hopefully there will be some more choices, by the time Ivy and 6XX are out. :x

So tell us, when you built your last PC (or maybe you're currently in the process), which part did you find proved to be the most difficult decision.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

the motherboard, just built a system the other week. sent my mother board back and the new one is coming today.... it was a good motherboard but it was micro atx, i thought i would be okay with that but i couldn't do it. the two pcie slots where so close together if i wanted to sli it would have caused some problems. as far as cases, i got the corsair 650D and i am beyond pleased with it. the two 200mm fans cause a bit more noise than i would like but other than that i **** love this case.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C_Rule

the motherboard, just built a system the other week. sent my mother board back and the new one is coming today.... it was a good motherboard but it was micro atx, i thought i would be okay with that but i couldn't do it. the two pcie slots where so close together if i wanted to sli it would have caused some problems. as far as cases, i got the corsair 650D and i am beyond pleased with it. the two 200mm fans cause a bit more noise than i would like but other than that i **** love this case.

MuD3

Yeah, I'm not a fan of m-ATX boards.

650D is a nice looking case, but I'd really like a fan in the floor (or the side).

NZXT 810 has a LOT of good features, but I just don't know about the gloss finish...

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MuD3
yes, i am a bit concerned about the lack of fan mounts. but i'm hoping the two 200mm fans make up for that.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

The toughest was to choose which GPU to get basically when I bought my 6970 it cost exactly or little less then a 570 and they trade blows in games but since I decided the extra vram could come usefull also eyefinity isnt out of the question and it was a little cheaper then a 570 I decided on a 6970.. I havent regreted my decision. The mobo that I got was right after the p67 fiasco so I just bought whichever was available the soonest(gigabyte p67A-UD4-B3)

Also as a case recommendation get the CM Storm Trooper.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I built myself a new computer at the end of January this year and I thought the most difficult part to choose was which case I wanted. Basicly because money didn't matter and I was just looking for the best hardware on the market so it was pretty easy to decide when it came to the components.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MuD3
the 810 seems alright, i personally don't like the gloss either. and the design overall just doesn't do it for me. i am still unsure of my new motherboard i picked out too... it is more expensive and not as good it would seem. the micro has a z68 and pcie 3.0. the new board is p67 and pcie 2.0. there were no full atx with my socket with pcie 3.0 and the price difference between the p67 and z68 versions of the new board i got seemed too much. i'm not even sure of the benefits of pcie 3.0 over 2.0 and z68 over p67...
amareen18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 amareen18
Member since 2007 • 1259 Posts
I am still in the process of building a computer , but i'd say the hardest thing was choosing the graphics card and the power supply D
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
[QUOTE="MuD3"]the 810 seems alright, i personally don't like the gloss either. and the design overall just doesn't do it for me. i am still unsure of my new motherboard i picked out too... it is more expensive and not as good it would seem. the micro has a z68 and pcie 3.0. the new board is p67 and pcie 2.0. there were no full atx with my socket with pcie 3.0 and the price difference between the p67 and z68 versions of the new board i got seemed too much. i'm not even sure of the benefits of pcie 3.0 over 2.0 and z68 over p67...

Current 1155 CPUs don't support PCI 3, and that much bandwidth isn't even necessary for current GPUs, don't worry about it.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 C_Rule

The toughest was to choose which GPU to get basically when I bought my 6970 it cost exactly or little less then a 570 and they trade blows in games but since I decided the extra vram could come usefull also eyefinity isnt out of the question and it was a little cheaper then a 570 I decided on a 6970.. I havent regreted my decision. The mobo that I got was right after the p67 fiasco so I just bought whichever was available the soonest(gigabyte p67A-UD4-B3)

Also as a case recommendation get the CM Storm Trooper.

Silicel1

Can't really go wrong with either of them.

There are things I like about the Trooper, but the top really ruins it for me. Plus, I would like my next case to be windowed.

shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shyco
Member since 2006 • 613 Posts

choosing a motherboard and cpu would be the hardest for me, when I decide to upgrade my prehistoric Q6600. And probably find a case that fits as well cus the one I currently have is cramped. But I imagine it would be quite the thrill to order a build again and put it together and it works!" :D

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MuD3
good to know. what about p67 vs z68? i found some information but it was all related to video processing and encoding and using ssd for cache, which i use my ssd for os and highly used programs.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

choosing a motherboard and cpu would be the hardest for me, when I decide to upgrade my prehistoric Q6600. And probably find a case that fits as well cus the one I currently have is cramped. But I imagine it would be quite the thrill to order a build again and put it together and it works!" :D

shyco

I hear ya bout the Q6600. The MB has always been the hardest for me. I researched mine like crazy and still people had certain problems with it down the road. I expect the same for my next build which would have happened last year cept for $5000.00 out for my sons torn cartilage in his knee. All good now though.:)

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

CPU is easy, phenom II 955 on budget, i5 2500k if not.

Motherboard is a little harder, but in the end it doesn't matter as long as you get a decent one.

GPU there is so much choice I think it's probably the hardest.

Case is also easy to be picky about.

PSU just get decent brand with the wattage you want.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Hardest for me by far is case. No case seems to offer the combination of features, size, looks that appeal to me. Because of this my computer is still using a hand-me-down case I got back in 2005. It is a huge piece of crap but I can't find a case that I can justify replacing it with.

As for motherboards, since Abit went under, I switched to ASUS, so that makes that choice easy, just find the asus motherboard that has the features I want and get it.

For graphics cards I get sapphire for ATi or EVGA for nVidia, so from there it is pretty easy, just find the one that fits my price/performance/power usage requirements and get it.

For CPU, I don't buy intel processors for myself, ever. My last intel processor was a pentium MMX 233 back in like 1995 or something, I think I paid like 400 bucks for it. Even though AMD has been having issues being king of performance, I never got the top performing CPU anyway, I just get what performs best at about 100-150 bucks and that suits my needs fine, and in the last 10 or so years, AMD has been the 100 dollar performance champ.

Memory used to be hard, but now it is so cheap, I can just grab whatever amount at whatever speed I want and if I have problems I can use any of my extra ram while I return it.

optical drives used to be tough too but now it is whatever I have that is laying around or what oem piece is at fry's for 20 bucks.

I haven't bought any SSDs yet, but I am sure that will be tough when they start to get into the price range that will make them attractive to me (50c/GB)

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I'd say motherboard because everything else is easy to change. When you choose your motherboard your set in terms of what GPU brand you can use, AMD or Intel, how much ram you can use, so on.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
For me its the motherboard, because i dont know enough about pc compatibilities i always have to ask what motherboard to get.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I'd say motherboard because everything else is easy to change. When you choose your motherboard your set in terms of what GPU brand you can use, AMD or Intel, how much ram you can use, so on.

fenriz275
How come what GPU maybe CPU only.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Definitely motherboard. Cases can be tough to choose, but at the end of the day you're usually going to settle on a pretty solid (if not perfect) product (and worst comes to worst you can usually fix any issues with aftermarket fans and/or a dremel). With a mobo? There are so many different manufacturers offering so many different models at so many different price points that you're almost always going to feel like you made the wrong choice.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

With the rig I'm currently using the toughest decision I went through was for the GPU. I'll admit the PC is a bit of a hodge podge between an old and new PC, the case is old and the fans, hard drives etc. The "important" pieces are newer, buying the AMD 5870 was the toughest decision, I actually bought that GPU in April 2011 on sale for $200. I compared it with the 6950 for Nvidia 560 GTX and determine the 5870 was the best bang for the buck even though the DX 11 support is pretty poor.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#21 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

When you are working with a limited budget and have to buy several components then the combination and "balance" can become a mind numbing thing. :|

As for individual components I did research alot when I got my HAF 922 but in the end it had mostly everything I needed and I have been very happy with it.

The most difficult component for me is the GPU, there is always something a "bit better" for a "bit more" until you end up with something like the second best card where the top card has a really high premium.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

When you are working with a limited budget and have to buy several components then the combination and "balance" can become a mind numbing thing. :|

Gambler_3

I know the feeling, I bought a budget PC last year for a total of 260€ (without the gfx card) + 140€ monitor. I kept thinking whether I should get the cheapest AM3 board and a Phenom ii x4 or a "future proof" AM3+ board and an Athlon. Eventually I got Asus M5A97 and Athlon x3 that refuses to unlock, and that was I think 1 day before Bulldozer release.

d'oh

RazorGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 RazorGR
Member since 2005 • 1605 Posts

I would say the case. It's one of those things you probably want to keep for a long time and through a lot of upgrades. It can be really tough to choose the right one especially if you are a bit picky like me.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
The first time I built a computer, I thought every part was the hardest part because I was still learning how choosing one part such as the motherboard would affect my ability to choose other parts, such as the CPU.
Diwashb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Diwashb
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

So, I'm currently planning a new build, and there is one part that has had me stumped, for days. I simply can't find a case in the $200, that has everything I want. I find something I think I'd be happy with, but then I'll notice one or two things that I know would just drive me nuts.

So tell us, when you built your last PC (or maybe you're currently in the process), which part did you find proved to be the most difficult decision.

C_Rule

Corsair Graphite 600t?

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I don't really have difficulty choosing parts for a build/upgrade. Usually things seem pretty clear-cut for me. I guess the monitor is the hardest for me.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

Diwashb

Corsair Graphite 600t?

I don't think it supports a fan in the floor. It is a nice case, though.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 C_Rule

I don't really have difficulty choosing parts for a build/upgrade. Usually things seem pretty clear-cut for me. I guess the monitor is the hardest for me.

hartsickdiscipl
Yeah, that's another annoying decision. Mostly because I know I can't get everything I want (120Hz + 16:10) in the one monitor.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

i'd say motherboards, at the time i had no understanding about them.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

C_Rule

Going with a full-sized motherboard or a microATX one. I chose microATX (paired with a midtower case) 3x so far.

UltimateviL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UltimateviL
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
Definitely the motherboard. The wrong motherboard can limit your overclocking ability, give you slow performance, cause all types of instability, and they're often the first component to die if you're not careful.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
Last time for me, deciding on just about anything was difficult. Do I go Intel & Nvidia or try to be cheap and go AMD & ATI, which would effect whether I was going to have 6gb of triple channel RAM or 8gb of double channel. Then if I go cheap or decide to splurge, how much I want to spend on the graphics card. Doesn't matter how strong the graphics card is if it has a lot of heat issues. Then there's the power supply. I decided to go with an 80+ power supply. I had trouble deciding if I wanted just enough or if I wanted to overkill, and I finally decided overkill would be better. Don't be cheap. So in the end I went Intel & Nvidia, higher end CPU and more mid-range GPU (i7 950, GTX 460 1GB), 950W 80+ power supply, and a USB 3.0, SATA III 6gbs SLI-capable motherboard. I overkilled in some areas on purpose because I could never decide how cheap I wanted to go or how much I was willing to splurge. I think by the time this one completely wears out I'll have a much better idea of what to go for and will probably have a far cheaper computer as a result. Guess it was a three-way tie of CPU, GPU, and power supply.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kraken2109

[QUOTE="Diwashb"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

C_Rule

Corsair Graphite 600t?

Why do you want a bottom fan? Surely it's just gonna suck in dust.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

[QUOTE="Diwashb"] Corsair Graphite 600t?

kraken2109

I live in Australia, so a case with good airflow is a must.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"] I don't think it supports a fan in the floor. It is a nice case, though.

C_Rule

I live in Australia, so a case with good airflow is a must.

You can get good airflow without a bottom fan, and most cases don't have bottom fans so you're seriously limiting your choice.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Definitely the motherboard. It's the backbone of the entire system, and it's generally going to have or not have features that would take up expansion slots otherwise (USB 3.0, SATA III, etc.), not to mention that overclocking capability varies, BIOS/UEFI varies, slot layouts vary, and so forth. Everything else is pretty easy to choose when you know what are the best-performing parts that fit in your budget, but motherboards have these additional complications that make the decision not so clear-cut. Cases would be difficult had I not bought an ABS Tagan/Aplus Black Pearl about three years ago. It's a sleek Lian-Li full-tower case without the Lian-Li pricetag ($100 shipped compared to $250 or more for the PC-V2000). It should last me as long as they keep making ATX motherboards.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

yeah the case and the gpu was the most difficult for me as well, everything else was pretty easy since there was only one choice.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Definitely the motherboard. The wrong motherboard can limit your overclocking ability, give you slow performance, cause all types of instability, and they're often the first component to die if you're not careful.UltimateviL

I'm not really sure that I've ever seen a motherboard give slow performance or instability, unless there was something actually wrong with it. Overclocking potential, yes.. definitely depends on the mobo.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

MONITORs, without question the monitor if you consider this a "component". It is a necessary piece so I guess it qualifies:P

Most components you can get a general consensus on what are the "best" for each slot. Best CPUs, Best GPUs, Best Mobos (a bit more subjective), etc.

But not so with monitors. I've spent a month trying to figure out what is the "best". I've gotten 15+ answers, all of them with valid supporting evidence that makes every suggestion make sense at the time. It's bloody impossible lol. There are just so many bloody variables to consider:

resolution, refresh rate, response time, input lag, color correctness, backlight bleed, ghosting, etc...it's maddening

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
If we're going into monitors, it's definitely tricky, mostly because you're going to have to make some tradeoffs one way or another, and the good monitors aren't cheap. But in my case, as long as my 21" FD Trinitron G1 monitors work, I'll be fine. Best balance of image quality, refresh rate, and price I can find short of stumbling upon the holy grail of computer monitors-the Sony GDM-FW900 (or other FD Trinitron G1W-based offshoot), and I have plenty of desk space. I do get tempted by thoughts of 1920x1200 and even 2560x1600 resolutions, though, but my wallet just can't take it, and it would also be pretty punishing on my 8800 GT if I wanted to run native res in newer games.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#41 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I live in Australia, so a case with good airflow is a must. C_Rule
Well I live in pakistan which is pretty damn hot as well. I have HAF 922 and I installed a high RPM 120mm bottom fan to it and yes it does help but nothing significant. What is significant is the massive dust so much that my graphic cards heatsink got choked up after a few months and the temps became ridiculous.

I then cleaned the GPU, disconnected the bottom fan and all was good. Yes I didnt have dust filter at bottom but unless you are going to clean it regularly the bottom fan is going to become useless pretty quickly.

I still have the disconnected bottom fan sitting in my casing because...well it just looks cool. :P