What do u think of Voiceless heroes in games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yogli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yogli
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
Me, for instance, I think it's very annoying that my hero is mute. But, mybe Mass Effect spoiled me...
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I prefer voiceless heroes.  In Prey, for example, I just found Tommy annoying, because he was saying things I wouldn't say and wasn't thinking, and it broke the immersion in the game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I think one game did it very well (Half-Life) and now its become a poor imitation really. Oblivion is a great example of the way in which it detracts from any form of characterisation. A voice would have added highly to the class you chose. You really have no idea who you are, no matter if you choose a Thief or a Mage. 

Both HL games were highly successful in immersing you into the fiction of their worlds. There really wasnt a need to have the main character speak. The action of the machinery of Black Mesa, the citizens of City 17, the NPCS filled you in on the story, the situations.

I like the way HL did it - it works - but I also prefer a bit of wit and some characterisation too. I think one of the best games to nail that was Thief. Great voice acting, witty comments that reveal the arrogance of Garrett. 

It is a shame that for such an iconic character - one of the most recognised in gaming - that Lara Croft had so little to say throughout Anniversary. You would that they would go to some lengths in a prequel to explain how the character came to be. I want to know more about Lara Croft!! They could really write an interesting history about her! One of the problems is that she doesn't have anyone to talk to in most of the Tomb Raider games. Legend went some way to fix that by adding Zip - so hopefully he'll be back in Underworld with some smart things to say. I can't believe in the demo he was trying to be funny saying: "Check your PDA. You can use it at any time unless you eat it. Then you'll have to wait an hour." What the hell....do these script writers read what they write? 

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I would say that I would prefer voiceless Player Characters, if the alternative was a PC with poor dialouge. But if the alt was PC with good dialouge, the PC with a voice wins.
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
I agree with the OP, Mass Effect was a great example of how dialogue in a game should and can be. The days of the "silent hero" main character are quickly coming to an end as decision-making becomes more important in game design.
Vivalvival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vivalvival
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Depends. In JRPGs it really sucks.
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
It all depends on the game.  In Half Life it was done quite well.  Gordon Freeman never talks, but the story is amazing still.  In most FPS i wouldn't want my character to talk.  The most I'd want is to pick what my character should say.  In TPS, sure, he can talk.  But FPS is supposed to be me, supposedly.  It annoyed me in Skate how the guy never talked and the annoying camera man would make "witty" remarks all the time.  And i use the term "witty" extremely loosely.
artistry_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 artistry_
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

the strong, silent type - that's me and that's for me !!

:p

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I don't mind either, I think voiced heroes can be less forgiving, as you can really miss the character and then the player gets detached, or worse hates themselves. Dead Space guy was mute, only a few times in the game did I want him to say something, but he didn't

If they don't say anything, then sometimes I'll just say out loud, oh yeah I just told a video game where to go!

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
I hate it, IMO it makes the character very shallow
yogli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yogli
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

I prefer voiceless heroes.  In Prey, for example, I just found Tommy annoying, because he was saying things I wouldn't say and wasn't thinking, and it broke the immersion in the game.RobertBowen

Yeah, but in The Witcher, Geraly usually says what i mean even when i can't choose what too say... It all depends on the developers.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

I agree with the OP, Mass Effect was a great example of how dialogue in a game should and can be. The days of the "silent hero" main character are quickly coming to an end as decision-making becomes more important in game design.DGFreak

The good thing about ME was that you were able to control the dialogue (to an extent) so you could still play the character as you wanted, and make him/her say things that were similar to what you were thinking.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
In FPS, I prefer voiceless heroes.
f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 f22rf
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts
Some games deserve to have character voice, and some deserve not to, depends on the game.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#15 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
I prefer voiceless heroes. Heroes always have the worst voice actors. Like RobertBowen said above they say stuff that doesn't fit and removes from the immersion of the game. Besides its always understood what the voiceless hero is saying and makes it feel more like it is you.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

I prefer voiceless heroes.  In Prey, for example, I just found Tommy annoying, because he was saying things I wouldn't say and wasn't thinking, and it broke the immersion in the game.

RobertBowen

yeah .... for me similiarly in case of prince of persia : warrior within the prince's constant whinign was very annoying 

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
I like both voiceless and voiced. Both work for me.
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
If link talked in Legends of Zelda he would just be annoying. After all therre was the saturday morning cartoons.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I like both voiceless and voiced. Both work for me.JP_Russell

Same here. As long as it's well done, I don't mind either alternative.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

If link talked in Legends of Zelda he would just be annoying. After all therre was the saturday morning cartoons.lenson

Excuuuuuuuse me, Princess! 

Avatar image for hedgehogenstein
hedgehogenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hedgehogenstein
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts

Nothing takes hedgehogenstein out of an immersive game experience quite as abruptly as bad dialogue or voice acting.

Several of the most iconic games have had mute protagonists, too. Half Life, System Shock 2. Then again, for every Half Life there's a Max Payne and for every System Shock there's a Thief.

I guess, when executed properly, both are fine, but there is a greater risk of bad voice acting or dialogue when there is voice acting or dialogue, so mute characters have the advantage.

The thing about mute characters is that I feel far more connected to them because they'd never say things I wouldn't say, or in a tone I wouldn't use. Controlling a character (where I am that character) who says something I would not say, well, I'm no longer that character.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts

im not bothered.

sometimes i think it would even be a terrible move to add VO work to a character. it would just be wrong to see gordon freeman speaking for instance imho. to go a bit outside PC for a mo, i also think it would be bad to see link from the legend of zelda speak, or samus aran from metroid prime start yapping (god id love to see metroid prime on PC...never going to happen but just thought id mention it :P).haveing a speechless character sorta allows the player to have a bit of themselves in the game. it works best when theres no cutscenes though (like in HL2).

however for some genres i think VO work needs to be used for the main character (or at the very least text you read). an RPG like mass effect or the witcher wouldnt really work as well if the main character was completly silent.