What are some good RPG recommendations games?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Temesra
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts
[QUOTE="Temesra"]

The problem with a lot of games today is first person shooter and multiplayer games like wow ( World of Warcraft's ) is the fad now. Where fantasy RPG is not big like it was before.

From what I read skyrim is more medieval RPG than the classic medieval fantasy RPG .This may explain the lack of fighting and mutants , folklore creatures, monsters , demons so on.

BrunoBRS
then don't play skyrim :P the Ys games are really an awesome throwback to old school fantasy RPGs, and dark souls posesses the elements of fantasy you seem to be wanting. though at the end of the day, most of the games i think you'd enjoy the most are long gone from the PC market, and even the console market, and moved onto handhelds.

Why is that ? What direction are game makers taking ? Is it culture thing ? I hear a lot of games of super nintendo are JRPG games . Well could it be Japanese thing? Could Japanese be more into fighting , dungeons ,different enemies . Where the non JRPG games are more about game interaction less about fighting , dungeons ,different enemies.Could the non JRPG exploration be base less on fighting and different enemies where has the Japanese where more base on fighting and different enemies of the exploration ? I'm just tying to understand the direction are gamers or culture thing. Note the first person shooters games are really big on fighting .
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Temesra"]

The problem with a lot of games today is first person shooter and multiplayer games like wow ( World of Warcraft's ) is the fad now. Where fantasy RPG is not big like it was before.

From what I read skyrim is more medieval RPG than the classic medieval fantasy RPG .This may explain the lack of fighting and mutants , folklore creatures, monsters , demons so on.

Temesra

then don't play skyrim :P the Ys games are really an awesome throwback to old school fantasy RPGs, and dark souls posesses the elements of fantasy you seem to be wanting. though at the end of the day, most of the games i think you'd enjoy the most are long gone from the PC market, and even the console market, and moved onto handhelds.

Why is that ? What direction are game makers taking ? Is it culture thing ? I hear a lot of games of super nintendo are JRPG games . Well could it be Japanese thing? Could Japanese be more into fighting , dungeons ,different enemies . Where the non JRPG games are more about game interaction less about fighting , dungeons ,different enemies.Could the non JRPG exploration be base less on fighting and different enemies where has the Japanese where more base on fighting and different enemies of the exploration ? I'm just tying to understand the direction are gamers or culture thing. Note the first person shooters games are really big on fighting .

I don't really know about JRPGs, as I don't really play them (besides the 'Souls' games and a few older ones like the old Phantasy Star games on Sega) but I've heard JRPGs have gone downhill too.

As far as modern AAA stuff goes... well there arem't any RPGs anymore really (for the most part), only cinematic experiences, hiking/LARPing simulators and romanceable elf butt-sex.

See the constraints of modern RPG design goes like this... "DUMB THAT **** DOWN" to make it clear--you jump into the game, you follow your quest compass and you hit the awesome button. Ratio fixed, job done, time to call it a day. It's all about the shiny graphics and style over substance now. AAA Games have gotten so ridiculously expensive to make these days, they try and appeal to just about everybody and their grandmothers now, (not just the hardcore RPG players) so they can make their money back. Basically gaming has gotten too big for it's own good, especially if you're a fan of some of the more niche genres.

As far as the monster variety goes, the move to full on 3-D and having to having to create detailed enemys with full textures, animations, having to draw the backsides of everything...has really cut down on the amound of different creatures used in RPGs. Just take a look at the monster variety in a game called Icewind Dale and compare it to the endless waves of Darkspawn you get in a game like Dragon Age. or the uninspired and limited creature lists in Skyrim, say.

[spoiler]

* Animated Plate
* Barbarian
o Ghost Shaman
o Wyrm Tribe Warrior
* Bat
* Bear
o Black
o Black (Spirit)
o Polar
o Polar (Spirit)
o Bergclaw
o Dire
* Beetle
o Normal
o Bombardier
o Boring
o Fire
o Rhinoceros
* Beholder
* "Belhifet"
* Carrion Crawler
* Cryshal Sentry
* Djinni
* Dragon, White
o Icasaracht
* Drowned Dead
* Elemental
o Earth
o Fire
o Water
o Water Kin
* Elf
o Drow Spellsword
o Drow Sorcerer
o Drow Vanguard
o Shadowed Acolyte
o Shadowed Archer
o Shadowed Cleric
o Shadowed Officer
o Shadowed Swordsman
o Shadowed Warrior
* Ghast
* Ghoul
* Giant
o Cyclops
o Ettin
o Fire
o Frost
o Frost Chieftan ("Joril")
o Verbeeg
* Glabrezu
* Goblin
o Normal
o Archer
o Archer Shadowed
o Elite
o Elite Shadowed
o Marksman Shadowed
o Marshall
o Marshall Archer
o Marshall Shadowed
o Shadowed Grunt
o Shadowed Trainer
o Shadowed Warrior
* Golem
o Iron
o Ice (Sentry)
* Harpy
o Normal
o Fiendish
o Queen
o Infernal
* Human
o Acolyte
o Beserk Warrior
o Black Ice Knight
o Eldathyn Priest/Priestess
o Talonite Priest/Priestess
o Thief
o Tower Archer
o Purvis
o Vaarglan
o Alpheus
o Mercenary Thief
o Mercenary Warrior
o Priestess of Shar
o Criek of Bane
o Shelhai
o Adran Runeshadow
o Harald
* The Idol
* Invisible Stalker
* Jackal
o Warrior
o Greater
o Shaman
o Pack Leader
* Jelly
o Mustard
o Ochre
* Lich ("Terikan")
* Lizard Man
o Normal
o Tough
o Shaman
o King
* Lord Maluradek
* Luremaster
* Minotaur
o Blind
o Normal
o Elder
o Lord
* Mummy
o Normal
o Greater
* Myconid
o Blue
o Red
* Neo-Orog
o Avenger
o Chieftain
o General
o Marauder
* Ogre
o Normal
o Shadowed
* Orc
o Normal
o Elite
o Shadowed Archer
o Shadowed Chieftain
o Shadowed Grunt
o Shadowed Shaman
o Shaman
* Rakshasa
* Remorhaz
* Sahuagin
o Normal
o Elite Guard
o Royal Guard
o Prince
o UnderPriestess
o Royal High Priestess
o King
* Salamander
o Fire
o Fire Leader ("Shikata")
o Frost
* Scrag
o Normal
o Xactile (leader)
* Shadow
o Normal
o Lesser
* Shambler
* Shrieker
* Skeleton
o Normal
o Archer
o Armored
o Bladed
o Blast
o Boneguard
o Bronze Sentry
o Burning
o Mage
o Serrated
o Spectral Guard
o Spectral Knight
o Tarnished Sentry
o Tattered
o Temple Guardian
o Undead Lieutenant
o Cold Bones
o Iced Bones
o Frozen Bones
o Bone Scavenger
o Crypt Thing
o Warrior
* Soul
o Shadowed
o Shattered
o Severed
* Spectral
o Guard
o Hero
* Spider
o Phase
o Sword
o Wraith
* Stone Nuisance
* Summoner
* Svirfneblin
* Tanar'ri ("Yxunomei")
* Troll
o Normal
o Ice
o Snow
o Greater Ice
o Greater Snow
* Umber Hulk
* Vodyanoi
* Vexing Thoughts
* Wailing Virgin
o Normal
o Mebdinga
* Werewolf, Greater
* Wight
o Normal
o Imbued
o Cold
o Barrow
* Wolf
o Normal
o Shadowed Worg
o Winter
o Spirit
* Wyrm, White
o Normal
o Leader ("Frostbite")
o Bone Scavenger
* Wyvern
o Normal
o Matron
* Yeti
o Normal
o Chieftain
o Glacier
o Tundra
o Berg
* Yuan-Ti
o Normal
o Histachii
o Elite
o Priest
* Zombie
o Normal
o Chosen
o Ju-Ju
o Lord
o Poison

[/spoiler]

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23941 Posts

Temesra

JRPG=The Japanese take on the RPG genre. Usually linear with neither set protagonists or party members. Dont offer a lot of customization eitehr and focus almost entirely on "story". The genre has gone downhill too but is nowhere near the embarassing state that is the mainstream WRPG genre. That said, The Last Story was dang good, so are the Souls games.

WRPG=The western take on the RPG genre. Usually these give you a non-fixed protagonists, and if you arer lucky, they give you a fully customizable party. But alas, these belief that RPGs have to be story driven have taken over and now fully custom parties are really uncommon, despite that being the most fun (imo). Modern WRPGs have gone downhill faster than any other genre imo, and now I actually prefer JRPG offerings over WRPG offerings, something I would never have said before. Oh well, at long as there are games like Knights of the Chalice, Eschalon, Guild Wars 1 and Legend of Grimrock I am not gonna write of the entire genre yet.

I would say the difference is due to culture, as it affects both devs and gamers. But not all japanese and western gamers are the same.

Bruno is right, though, definately get Ys.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Temesra

JRPGs are more focused on story and characters, and usually have enjoyable combat mechanics and plenty of enemy variety, as well as dungeons. WRPGs, aka western RPGs, are more about making choices, and usually are more focused in giving you options than giving a proper story, from my experience. sure, you're free to go anywhere, but that usually doesn't mean much. and no dungeons in most of them. going by the games you mentioned, you like JRPGs, and those have mostly moved onto handhelds, because they're cheaper to produce and handhelds are insanely popular in japan. they've always been practically nonexsistent on PC though.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 bussinrounds

Oh well, at long as there are games like Knights of the Chalice, Eschalon, Guild Wars 1 and Legend of Grimrock I am not gonna write of the entire genre yet.

Maroxad

There's actually reason for some optimism these days with games like...

Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
Chaos Chronicles
Age of Decadence
Dead State
Underrail
Grimoire
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadowrun Returns
Knights of the Chalice 2 (hopefully it happens)
Legends of Eisenwald
Expedition Conquistador

on the horizon. I know it's been a LONG time coming and we've been through a horrible drought, but we could very well be in store for a renaissance of sorts. At least there's something to look forward to now as opposed to recent years.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I know it's been a LONG time coming and we've been through a horrible drought, but we could very well be in store for a renaissance of sorts. At least there's something to look forward to now as opposed to recent years.

bussinrounds

Damn, that's exactly what i'm thinking aswell. Thanks to Kickstarter and the legacy of Black Isle (Obsidian, former devs, etc.) i'm really looking foward to the following years. There's going to be another golden age.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Oh well, at long as there are games like Knights of the Chalice, Eschalon, Guild Wars 1 and Legend of Grimrock I am not gonna write of the entire genre yet.

bussinrounds

Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
Chaos Chronicles
Age of Decadence
Dead State
Underrail
Grimoire
Shadowrun Returns
Legends of Eisenwald
Expedition Conquistador

on the horizon. I know it's been a LONG time coming and we've been through a horrible drought, but we could very well be in store for a renaissance of sorts. At least there's something to look forward to now as opposed to recent years.

Dang, I forgot about a fair share of those games. Thanks for the reminder, and yeah, the future does look bright.

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Temesra

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

bussinrounds

Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
Chaos Chronicles
Age of Decadence
Dead State
Underrail
Grimoire
Shadowrun Returns
Legends of Eisenwald
Expedition Conquistador

If you look at most games now most them are first person shooter and military games than medieval fantasy.

See below what I mean.

Top 5 most Disappointing games 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMbh2CArdg

Upcoming Games 2012 - 2013 part 1.avi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcY91IFi58

TOP 10 Best Graphics Games 2012 [HD]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=8WQj2h2mK88&NR=1

dkvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dkvel
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Fallout 2 The Witcher The Witcher 2 Dragon Age 1
Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Temesra

Fallout 2 The Witcher The Witcher 2 Dragon Age 1dkvel

I checked out Dragon Age and it seems to have a lot more fighting youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=bP04YU4pK2A&NR=1

It does look like nice game .

Don't know what has more fighting Dragon Age or The Witcher . No idea why skyrim has hardly any fighting.The enemy variety are higher in Dragon Age than Witcher ?

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#61 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

Skyrim maybe a good choice. Also maybe Darksiders 1 and 2, its sorta like an action rpg mixed with zelda and god of war type fighting. I still havent finished Skyrim but its pretty good.

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Temesra

Skyrim maybe a good choice. Also maybe Darksiders 1 and 2, its sorta like an action rpg mixed with zelda and god of war type fighting. I still havent finished Skyrim but its pretty good.

Yams1980

Does not really answer my question above .
I checked out Dragon Age and it seems to have a lot more fighting youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=bP04YU4pK2A&NR=1 It does look like nice game . Don't know what has more fighting Dragon Age or The Witcher . No idea why skyrim has hardly any fighting.The enemy variety are higher in Dragon Age than Witcher ?

DeathCl0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DeathCl0ck
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts

Dude, give Skyrim a shot. There is TONS of action if that is what you want to pursue. The game has beautiful environments, unique dungeons that all have stories attached to them, and combat that is very fun and diverse depending on your play style.

The meele combat can be one of two things. For the idiots who just stand in one place and mash the attack button like a lobotomized gorilla then it may seem shallow. But for the individuals who want the combat to be fun/interesting, utilizing the block button and learning how to doge is vitally important. Also, learning the patterns of the enemies you fight is bonus.

Another game series that I recommend is the Witcher series. Tons of action, fun combat, and a pretty engaging story on top of some beautiful graphics. Dragon Age Origins is a pretty classic RPG in terms of combat. You control a squad of people that you have to micro manage all the time. The action is pretty much point and click. You don't have any real time control like Skyrim or anything.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Maroxad

Dude, give Skyrim a shot. There is TONS of action if that is what you want to pursue. The game has beautiful environments, unique dungeons that all have stories attached to them, and combat that is very fun and diverse depending on your play style.

The meele combat can be one of two things. For the idiots who just stand in one place and mash the attack button like a lobotomized gorilla then it may seem shallow. But for the individuals who want the combat to be fun/interesting, utilizing the block button and learning how to doge is vitally important. Also, learning the patterns of the enemies you fight is bonus.

Another game series that I recommend is the Witcher series. Tons of action, fun combat, and a pretty engaging story on top of some beautiful graphics. Dragon Age Origins is a pretty classic RPG in terms of combat. You control a squad of people that you have to micro manage all the time. The action is pretty much point and click. You don't have any real time control like Skyrim or anything.

DeathCl0ck

I tweaked Skyrim's difficulty so that nearly anything would kill me in one hit.

Still shallow as hell. Floaty combat, weak attacks and hp bloated enemies (on Master anyways, assuming you do not abuse the broken smithing) does not result in good combat.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Don't buy anything for the PC right now.... Wait until the Steam Sales. By January you'll own so many PC games that you've bought for less than 10 bucks that you won't get thru all of them by the time the Summer Sales begin.

Anyway Steam Sales should be starting within 2 weeks. Sometime before Christmas anyways. And they'll last to the beginning of January. When the sale does start only buy from the Daily Deals and Flash Deals. Publisher sales will be going on at the same time, but those same games often go on daily sales for cheaper than the normal publisher's sales. I suspect FarCry 3 and Borderlands 2 will go on sale for 33-50% off sometime during the sale. And Skyrim is sure to go on sale @ 75% off... maybe 80%. Dark Souls will likely go on sale, too.... Although, currently, it's 16 bucks @ Amazon for the Xbox. Was 16 bucks for the PS3 last week, but I guess they ran out....

http://store.steampowered.com/

BTW: right now you can get Metro 2033 for free from facebook. Can find details in this forum somewhere or in the news section of gamespot that was posted yesterday.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

I was thinking of getting Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim but not sure if the action and fighting is the same like those games or not.Temesra
i would say grab Skyrim. Its Good and accessable. I'm a huge Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 fan, those games are better imo, but skyrim is still good and might be a little closer to what you're looking for. And yes, there are definitely plenty demons and monsters to kill, haha.

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Temesra

DeathCl0ck

I have look at many youtube clips on Skyrim and also from what I read it does not look like game that I will like . From what I understand the pros and cons of that game is the pro is the nice 3D graphics , big open world,interaction of people in the game and quests but cons the story is bad , fighting and combat is really bad and lack of different enemies is very very very very very disappointing

Dragon Age does seem to have way more fighting ,combat and action not to say it has interaction of people and quests . Don't know if it open world and good story or not or if it has lots of different enemies .

What I read in this thread the reason many of the high in 3D graphics like Skyrim have such lack of different enemies is it so time consuming to have different enemies and this may also be reason lack of dungeon and caves so on is well may be too time consuming .

One should look at how many people it took to make Skyrim , money and how long it took to make the game than look at old games like llusion of Gaia ,Zelda , soul blazer and secret of mana so on and we all would get good idea .

Note the game like Skyrim or far cry 3 may take 3 or 4 years to make and well over 1,000 people where llusion of Gaia ,Zelda , soul blazer may be year to make and under 100 people.This may be reason that and first person shooter is more of fad now.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 bussinrounds

[QUOTE="DeathCl0ck"]

Temesra

I have look at many youtube clips on Skyrim and also from what I read it does not look like game that I will like . From what I understand the pros and cons of that game is the pro is the nice 3D graphics , big open world,interaction of people in the game and quests but cons the story is bad , fighting and combat is really bad and lack of different enemies is very very very very very disappointing

Dragon Age does seem to have way more fighting ,combat and action not to say it has interaction of people and quests . Don't know if it open world and good story or not or if it has lots of different enemies .

What I read in this thread the reason many of the high in 3D graphics like Skyrim have such lack of different enemies is it so time consuming to have different enemies and this may also be reason lack of dungeon and caves so on is well may be too time consuming .

One should look at how many people it took to make Skyrim , money and how long it took to make the game than look at old games like llusion of Gaia ,Zelda , soul blazer and secret of mana so on and we all would get good idea .

Note the game like Skyrim or far cry 3 may take 3 or 4 years to make and well over 1,000 people where llusion of Gaia ,Zelda , soul blazer may be year to make and under 100 people.This may be reason that and first person shooter is more of fad now.

Dragon Age isn't a complete open world (has different locations yoiu travel to on the map), doesn't have good monster variety (as most all modern RPGs don't) You'll be fighting darkspawn after darkspawn. And it doesn't have action gameplay (it's real time with pause combat where you give commands to your party of 4 characters (and they execute the attacks)

Weren't you looking for an rpg which had the gameplay of an action game anyway ? I noticed those SNES games you're referring to have action gameplay, as opposed to the JRPGS like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger which had more traditonal RPG gameplay (relying on your characters stats/dice rolls, not your twitch skills/reflexes)