Vista 64 or XP 64?

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KingRoyW
Member since 2007 • 1475 Posts

I'm getting a new PC and am wondering wether or not to get XP or Vista. I don't care much for DX10, DX9 is fine by me.... since I'm coming from a system that can run the sims 2 at like 20 fps on medium settings at 1024 xx 768. I have 4 gigs of ram in the setup and will add more in the future.

When will PC games in the future stop coming out for XP? All games today run on XP, right?

I mostly want XP because vista has too many bugs and annoyances, because I got my PC with vista, half of my programs worked, crysis ut3, and bioshock installation all failed. I sent it back asking for windows xp 64 bit version, so I can add more memory in the future. Did I make a good choice or should I go back to vista?

xid32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 xid32
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
if your gaming at 1024X768 it doesnt really matter what new parts you put in , its way overkill for your monitor.

And i have vista and im not experiencing alot of problems with it, but i believe they cut off technical support for XP, or are in the future, so you wont have anymore patches for upcoming problems for XP. and can your CPU handle 64 bit?
jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jmnderson69
Member since 2008 • 1236 Posts

Hmm i dont have any issues with Vista 64 bit whatsoever, Besides XP support has ended or will be ending soon right?

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KingRoyW

Oh, sorry, Im not at that res. I'm using a 1440 x 900 LCD screen. My PC has an e8500, 4 gigs of 800mhz ram, and an asus HD 4870.

When will games stop being compatible for XP?

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jmnderson69
I doubt they will stop being compatible until DirectX 10 is fully mainstream, which will probably be a while they way it is going.
xid32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 xid32
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
Get vista, there will be a patch released for DX11 for vista, and with the 4870 it has DX 10.1 support, your cutting out all of the 4870's future DX potential by getting XP.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KingRoyW

Hmm i dont have any issues with Vista 64 bit whatsoever, Besides XP support has ended or will be ending soon right?

jmnderson69

I heard that windows XP support will stop around 2015 because vista has so many issues. Vista is like windows ME, it had too many problems and was shut down within 2 or so years. When that happened, they extended the windwows98 support to a few more years. The person at the PC shop told me that they're coming out with a new windows in a few years, to replace vista, so I'll just buy that, which'll include DX10 or better.

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jmnderson69
DX10 isnt all that yet IMO.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KingRoyW

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22864

See, Windows XP support ends 2014

modai119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 modai119
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts
I heard XP 64bit was a mess and drivers for it is hard to find. I'm using Vista 64bit and have absolutely NO problems.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KingRoyW

The PC shop is ordering it for me and installing it on my PC, since they are the ones who I told to build the entire system. They finished the PC yesterday, but It only let me install barely anything, and I hated vista ALWAYS asking me if I was so SURE I wanted to click, or if I wanted to allow this program to run, which I clicked on already.

Vista is a pain, and the guy at the shop said nobody uses vista, people come into the shop asking them to install XP to their systems (since they bought it from bestbuy, or any other retail electronics store). Also, schools where I am aren't allowed to run vista for all the problems it has. I've been using XP 32 bit, for about 5 years, and have had pretty much no problems at all.

So does anyone know exactly when games will stop supporting XP, when XP support has been prolonged to 2014?

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
Vista64
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts
You've already made up your mind so your not listening. I've had absolutely no problem with Vista x64. Your still using the old talking points to put down Vista so there you go. Believe what you like but don't ask for opinions if you aren't going to listen.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KingRoyW

You've already made up your mind so your not listening. I've had absolutely no problem with Vista x64. Your still using the old talking points to put down Vista so there you go. Believe what you like but don't ask for opinions if you aren't going to listen.Rickylee

Yes, I'm sure that I'll be staying with windows XP X64. Its faster than vista, and the only reason I wanted vista is because I thought there were no versions of XP that supported over 4 gigs of memory, but I found this version. XP 64 is only bad for drivers, and since all my parts are new (all at least 2008 products / drivers) they should all be compatible with XP X64.

I'm just not sure if my WMP11 Linksys card will work with that operating system.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I think it would be of your best interest to go Vista 64-bit just because they will be ending support of XP very soon. DX10 isnt something to brag about but I think DX10.1 is going to be the cream of the crop and you dont want to miss out on that. :) Vista isnt as bad as what people say. It's nothing you cant look pass. You cant really compare the maturity of XP to Vista. Vista will continue to get better and better.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KingRoyW

I think it would be of your best interest to go Vista 64-bit just because they will be ending support of XP very soon. DX10 isnt something to brag about but I think DX10.1 is going to be the cream of the crop and you dont want to miss out on that. :) Vista isnt as bad as what people say. It's nothing you cant look pass. You cant really compare the maturity of XP to Vista. Vista will continue to get better and better. Elann2008

Look here pal.... HERE and HERE and HERE. Now the only one that shows a little difference is the Call of Juarez one, and that's barely a difference... they just have barely thicker clouds and a little thicker waterfall. The water, draw distance, textures, lighting, all nearly identical. Show me a video that really shows a major difference from dx10 from dx9. I think its a scam when mirosoft says Crysis on XP cannot hae dx10 graphics, AND IT OBVIOUSLY CAN with the texture hack.

Oops, forgot this, HERE.

Crysis preforms worse in dx10. So its best to go with dx9 because you get better preformance for a not noticable graphics "downgrade". So don't tell me that BS that a card is held back by running it on dx9.

Got anything to prove me otherwise? I haven't seen anything that shows dx10 is wayyyy better looking than dx9. Maybe darker shadows and a tiny bit more blur, but who really cares for something that tiny?

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rickylee
I repeat why do you care what other people think? You've made up your mind and your not going to convince those of us who like Vista and it's potential. Is it our fault that you don't like what your seeing? Your buying a brand new computer with a 4870 gpu and maybe you don't like DX10 but that's the future. There will be no crack for XP and DX10. And Vista while you say so is not the current ME.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
If I were you I would just got with 64 XP or else you'll just end up like the many people that find out they later hate Vista and end up just installing XP from a friend or paying someone to. Also DX10 is the only difference between XP and Vista, however DX10 is unless and the difference isn't noticeable but the FPS is. It won't even matter if they cut off support for XP because I don't even know why you would need it. The OS is perfect and I can't think of any way of improving it, I am sure later someone will develop a DX10 patch for it because there's already a beta one out that works.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KingRoyW

I repeat why do you care what other people think? You've made up your mind and your not going to convince those of us who like Vista and it's potential. Is it our fault that you don't like what your seeing? Your buying a brand new computer with a 4870 gpu and maybe you don't like DX10 but that's the future. There will be no crack for XP and DX10. And Vista while you say so is not the current ME.Rickylee

I'm asking for someone to give me evidence, in a picture or valid video that shows how dx10 is better than dx9 in the graphics/preformance department. Sure, it does have potential, but its not showing it today!! its been out for 2 years and has yet to show its stuff. If vista had its act straight, then the bad rep would go away and people would start to rate it higher, but it still is full of bugs, like ME. XP was never that bad for the 1st year or 2.

Sure Dx10 has potential, I'm not buying into it just yet. If it suddenly does, then hey!, I'll go out and buy vista 64 bit OEM for like 100$. XP is a nice, less buggier system, and I found a solution to my wireless card problem with XP X64 OS.

Got any noticable proof at how Dx10 is sooo much better than dx9 in today's games?

Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Munkyman587
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts

Also, your statement about the support on XP is completely false... yes, there will be SECURITY UPDATES, there are no new features, enhancements, or free technical support lines. Vista is not as bad as you think, go read up on the Mojave Project... you might find that you are just like one of those ignorant people they used in their surveys.

In vista, you can also just use dx9 if you want, the UI is very clean, the drivers work well now (unlike when it first came out). Like others have said, you came into this thread with your bias blatantly stated... Sure, say that you are looking for evidence to contradict what you think, but every person that has you shot down. I will enjoy performance patches well into the future while you sit on an OS that has been discontinued... whatever floats your boat.

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jmnderson69
Why do people bag on Vista so much? I have yet to see these oh so terrible "issues". Sure DX10 sucks a sack but i dont use it anyway.
Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Munkyman587

also king, please don't come here asking questions like this when you just wrote "... Yeh, the only thing I see different is that the radar dish moved... but nothing else really. Is dx10 just a scam to get people to buy vista? Its the only good thing about it, next to the cheap flashy interface." in the crysis tech comparison comments section.

/thread

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KingRoyW

If I were you I would just got with 64 XP or else you'll just end up like the many people that find out they later hate Vista and end up just installing XP from a friend or paying someone to. Also DX10 is the only difference between XP and Vista, however DX10 is unless and the difference isn't noticeable but the FPS is. I won't even matter if they cut off support for XP because I don't even know why you would need it.zaku101

I know! What do you need the support for anyway? It might help though, and its nice to have 'till 2014! Wonder why they extended the service to 2014.... its because Vista is all screwy.

If Vista was all perfect like everyone says, they would cut off XP service (like they said they would) and just tell everyone to go buy windows vista since its so great and problem free! BUT NO. Vista is terrible, and Microsoft knows it. They are going to discontinue Vista and introduce a newer system by at least 2011. THEN, we will have a windows OS that is like XP, nice and mostly stable. I read up on this... and the guy at the shop, which is windows certified, with like 10 plaques on the wall, he told me that vista is just like ME. It will last for a little bit, then they catch on it sucks, then something like XP will arrive.

If I'm wrong, then ok! I'm just trying to play it safe. I had huge problems with vista when I recieved my computer, so i told them to put in Xp x64. If vista turns around, then maybe, just maybe I'll purchase an upgrade pack, but not now, DX10 hasn't impressed me one bit.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

jmnderson69

That was a rumour.

Microsoft will support XP until 2014.

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KingRoyW
[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]

wklzip

That was a rumour.

What is this? From microsoft.com? How can it be a rumor when its on microsoft.com?

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
[QUOTE="wklzip"][QUOTE="jmnderson69"]

KingRoyW

That was a rumour.

What is this? From microsoft.com? How can it be a rumor when its on microsoft.com?

They just extended the support until 2014.

Each year they will release a new service pack.

edit again >_>:
It looks like the service pack 3 may be the last xp service pack, but its support will last until 2014, service pack 2 dies on 2010.

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KingRoyW

So its not a rumor, correct?

I can run all my games that run on XP 32 bit on XP 64 bit right?

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

if you already have xp then use that but if you need a os get vista and if you want more than around 3.3-3.7gb of ram you need to get 64bit.

vista and xp perform basicly the same in new games

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KingRoyW

Yeh, I am getting a 64 bit of windows XP.

Can someone give me an estimate as to when PC games will only be able to run on Vista? Will it happen in the next 4 years because I don't see why they would, the game makers would slit their own throat. I bet you more people are using XP now compared to vista, for gaming. That is my major concern here.

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KingRoyW
In addation to my question above, can I use my microsoft office 2003 on windows 64 bit version?
maxsparkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 maxsparkson
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts

I'm getting a new PC and am wondering wether or not to get XP or Vista. I don't care much for DX10, DX9 is fine by me.... since I'm coming from a system that can run the sims 2 at like 20 fps on medium settings at 1024 xx 768. I have 4 gigs of ram in the setup and will add more in the future.

When will PC games in the future stop coming out for XP? All games today run on XP, right?

I mostly want XP because vista has too many bugs and annoyances, because I got my PC with vista, half of my programs worked, crysis ut3, and bioshock installation all failed. I sent it back asking for windows xp 64 bit version, so I can add more memory in the future. Did I make a good choice or should I go back to vista?

KingRoyW

Crysis runs perfectly well on vista. I was at Fry's the other day just looking at stuff and i played their gaming pcs for the hell of it, the only one that had crysis installed ran it very well, and it had a smooth frame-rate with literally NO HICCUPS. I only played about 15 minutes of the game itself mind you, but it looked very good.

Also, i know for a fact it was vista because the computer was on the desktop and i had to select crysis and run it, and i noticed that it was running vista.

If it matters anyway, the small amount of specs it listed on the price tag included that it was running 64 bit vista. This is what i'm getting on my new computer, it ships monday, but im still 50-50 about the OS. I'm sure it will work though.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

Yeh, I am getting a 64 bit of windows XP.

Can someone give me an estimate as to when PC games will only be able to run on Vista? Will it happen in the next 4 years because I don't see why they would, the game makers would slit their own throat. I bet you more people are using XP now compared to vista, for gaming. That is my major concern here.

KingRoyW

If it's a concern then just get vista and let this thread die...

XP and Vista have similar performances, might aswell migrate to the new OS if you don't already have XP.

Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Munkyman587
Did everyone just ignore what I said? Meh...
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Windows XP will drop mainstream support in 2009 and extended support 2014. To clear things up they lengthened extended support for XP Home, to match XP Professional, which was already scheduled for extended support until 2014.

superchronik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 superchronik
Member since 2003 • 783 Posts
Drivers and support/compatibility, at least for gaming, are generally worse for XP x64 as it's based on the Windows Server 2003 kernel, so is in fact not really XP at all. At least Vista x64 is actually Vista. I'd say if you want 32 bit get XP, if you want 64 bit get Vista.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KingRoyW

I know vista runs games well, and dx 10 is a tiny bit better looking than dx9. If all of my hardware is brandnew, like made/released in 2008, do you think there will be any issues running XP in 64bit? They say x64 is only a bad choice if you put it on an older PC because it doesn't have the drivers for 64 bit.

I may convert to vista in a 2 years, but I doubt it'll still be around. By then, windows 7 will be out and it'll be a whole lot better than vista. Windows 7 is expected to be out by early 2010. They say they want to elimiate all the problems vista ever had with compalibility. I think by then, dx11 willbe why I'll upgrade.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Vista 64, if you're talking Xp-32 to Vista-32 it can be debatable (not in IMO though) but with 64-bit there is no point in wasting your time/money with XP. Xp-64 is a totally different OS and it was infamous for bad driver support.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KingRoyW

If XP 64 bit has issues with drivers, won't vista 64 bit have issues just as well? I'm getting XP mostly because I want to run some of my games which aren't compatible with vista. The only drivers I need to update are my graphics card really, and I checked already. The 4870 has drivers for xp x64. The shop thats installing XP 64 bit is installing all my drivers with XP 64 bit for me.

Will I have any issues using programs that run on XP 32? All games for XP 32 bit should run on XP 64 bit right? Its just the drivers that are hard to get by, which the PC shop will be doing for me.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 X360PS3AMD05
They should run on 64, no one is saying they will, i'm pretty sure Vista-64 has better compatibility and will continue to in the future along with better driver support. There was an article saying how 64-bit copies of Vista are really starting to sell so hopefully we can finally see the benefits of 64-bit apps. A while back xp-64 wasn't that great, maybe now it's as good as XP-32 but i haven't tried it again so who knows..........If a game is old you should be running Xp-32 or maybe Windows 98, not Vista.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KingRoyW

When I say I'm running older games, I mean games from 2004 and up.

The main reason why I'm not chosing vista is because of the Crysis dx10 vs dx9. Its a scam that they don't allow crysis on XP to be set to very high, when dx9 can make dx10 graphics. Very high settings on both look nearly identical, and XP runs a few frames better. Dx10 hasn't proven itself yet.

I can run games like the sims 2, fable, battlefield 2, and Half life 2 on xp 64 bit right? I heard that the sims 2 and battlefied 2 have a lot of problems with vista, and both are not compatible with 64 according to mirosoft.com.

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KingRoyW

When I say I'm running older games, I mean games from 2004 and up.

The main reason why I'm not chosing vista is because of the Crysis dx10 vs dx9. Its a scam that they don't allow crysis on XP to be set to very high, when dx9 can make dx10 graphics. Very high settings on both look nearly identical, and XP runs a few frames better. Dx10 hasn't proven itself yet.

I can run games like the sims 2, fable, battlefield 2, and Half life 2 on xp 64 bit right? I heard that the sims 2 and battlefied 2 have a lot of problems with vista, and both are not compatible with 64 according to mirosoft.com.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 X360PS3AMD05
IDK, i'm running BF2 and 2142 all the time in Vista-32, someone needs to chime in about 64. All i know is xp-64 was more of a server OS than a gamer's OS. Right now DX10 might not be that great, but it will in the future along with DX11.
KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KingRoyW

IDK, i'm running BF2 and 2142 all the time in Vista-32, someone needs to chime in about 64. All i know is xp-64 was more of a server OS than a gamer's OS. Right now DX10 might not be that great, but it will in the future along with DX11.X360PS3AMD05

Dell is letting people choose either XP or Vista now. Doesn't that say something?

However I do agree with you there, XP 64 is more for buisness/graphic design than anything, but I can't use 32 bit because I have over 4 gigs of RAM.

Will Dx11 be out with windows vista as an update or will it be out with windows 7? If it comes out for vista, THEN I will upgrade to vista.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rickylee

Did everyone just ignore what I said? Meh...Munkyman587

I didn't ignore it but I had given up on this thread until I saw this comment.

Also someone with several certificates on their wall doesn't make them right it just makes them an expert.:lol:

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]IDK, i'm running BF2 and 2142 all the time in Vista-32, someone needs to chime in about 64. All i know is xp-64 was more of a server OS than a gamer's OS. Right now DX10 might not be that great, but it will in the future along with DX11.KingRoyW

Dell is letting people choose either XP or Vista now. Doesn't that say something?

All it tells me is that there are a lot of people like you, no matter how many people tell you Vista is ok, Vista 64 is better than XP 64, you still keep going back and say XP is way better, and you are going to get XP 64.

As someone else pointed out XP 64 is not really XP. IMHO, if you need to buy an OS why get XP?

Have you ever actually used Vista? Or know anyone who has? I still run XP, but know quite a few people with Vista, and have used it quite a bit. None of them have had any issues with games or drivers.

Next time I need to buy an OS it will be Vista.

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KingRoyW

Yeh, I know the certificates doesn't make them an expert but he knew a whole lot about windows, and of all its versions. He said countless amounts of people have came to the shop and asked for vista to be taken out and XP put in. I still think vista is ME.

But anyway, can anyone answer my quesiton about dx11?

Will Dx11 be out with windows vista as an update or will it be out with windows 7? If it comes out for vista, THEN I will upgrade to vista

Dan415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dan415
Member since 2005 • 141 Posts

Dx10 is just to help sell vista.

Crysis is a blatent lie, how dx9 (with texture hack) cannot possibly run dx10 graphics. That whole thing is enough to prove how dx10 doesn't offer any meaningful advantage. Look at any other game, and dx10 offers the same preformance at virtually the same exact graphics. Just wait for windows 7 before you get any new OS. Dx10 has proven absolutly nothing,except that its a luring marketing device.

KingRoyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KingRoyW

Yeh, I totally agree with you Dan.

As for these "Driver problems" for XP x64 edition, I have no clue what you people mean. Maybe 2 years ago but not now.

I checked on the asus site, for my motherbaord, and all driver downloads can be for windows xp X64. Same with the 4870 and my linkysis network card. Also, I checked to see if my windows 2003 office is compatible, and it is. My dvd drive is compatible with it too, and same for the harddrive.... so I don't get it. Where am I gonna have issues?

KillaB84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KillaB84
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts
I enjoy Vista and have no problems with it.