Upgraded PSU, PC still shutting down by itself while using TV as display

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for creeping-deth87
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 creeping-deth87
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

Last week I posted a thread explaining that my computer would shut off after about 10 minutes of playing StarCraft 2 on my TV. I found out that my power supply was rated at 250 watts while my video card needed 450. I got a 520W power supply, but the same thing is happening. Is it because I have the monitor AND TV displaying the game simultaneously? Would shutting off my monitor prevent the shut down?

I hav an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and an Antec 520W PSU.

zxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 zxl
Member since 2004 • 138 Posts
Can you paste the previous thread? It could give some info to us for advicing you... First thought though is that, have you checked if your cpu or gpu overheat during the gameplay?
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

Does it shut down normally, or does it just cut out and go dark? If it shuts down in what appears to be a normal fashion, it might be some sort of overheating prevention feature kicking in.

creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 creeping-deth87

Does it shut down normally, or does it just cut out and go dark? If it shuts down in what appears to be a normal fashion, it might be some sort of overheating prevention feature kicking in.

matte3560
It just cuts out and goes dark. Like someone yanked the power cord out. As for the 1st response, I don't know if my CPU or GPU overheats because I have no idea how to check the temperature. I downloaded Everest and it seems to tell me everything BUT th tempereature of my system. Of course, maybe I just don't know how to use it cause I'm a PC noob.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="matte3560"]

creeping-deth87
It just cuts out and goes dark. Like someone yanked the power cord out. As for the 1st response, I don't know if my CPU or GPU overheats because I have no idea how to check the temperature. I downloaded Everest and it seems to tell me everything BUT th tempereature of my system. Of course, maybe I just don't know how to use it cause I'm a PC noob.

Strange one... Might be the GPU drawing too much power from the motherboard and as you'll know no amount of PSU can help that... Could be wrong but i have never seen it before so cannot really compare.
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="matte3560"]

creeping-deth87

That's strange. I'm really not sure what the problem is, since you've upgraded the PSU. My best bet would be something to do with the motherboard shorting out. Have you checked that all the standoffs are correctly in place? Also, what brand and model of PSU did you get?
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
It may be a CPU overheating problem, I know for a fact that Starcraft 2 is unusually CPU heavy compared to most games, so CPU temperature would definitely be the first thing I'd monitor while playing the game. Unfortunately I'm not too well versed in what programs would do this best (and create a log before the crash), so somebody else will need to help you there.
Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Creigz
Member since 2010 • 187 Posts

From the little information we have, it sounds like the video card is failing. Check its temps, and if it is heating fast (65+ from idle) and shutting down, try cooling the case, if you see artifacts, which are lines and strange occurrences on the screen, you are having a failure.

creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 creeping-deth87
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030 This is the power supply I have. Also, a motherboard shorting out is defintely a possibility as I never changed mine on my stock hp Pavilion. It DOES get pretty hot, as does the video card. Could that really be it? I had no idea motherboards could affect your system like that.
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 creeping-deth87
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01925486&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en And this is my motherboard.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

A couple of years ago, I tried hooking it up the the TV and my PC shut down. In my case, the GPU overheated. My GPU was SCORCHING HOT. Too hot to touch, too hot to handle.

creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 creeping-deth87

A couple of years ago, I tried hooking it up the the TV and my PC shut down. In my case, the GPU overheated. My GPU was SCORCHING HOT. Too hot to touch, too hot to handle.

Elann2008
Yeah mine gets really hot too, how did you solve your problem?