Upgrade for parents Dell Dimension 2400

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iamthatdude_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iamthatdude_
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Today my parents old pc has finally stopped working. Tried powering it on and nothing happened.

I think the specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Celeron

HDD: 20GB

Ram: 512mb

Mobo: Socket 478

So basically my question is would it be cheaper to just buy parts and upgrade or just buy prebuilt? Want to do this as cheap as possible. I already have a windows 7 disk and thought about re-using the case and cd drive.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
The cheapest option for getting just a websurfing/word processing machine would be to just go with a Prebuilt, though since you already have an OS license you could maybe be able to build your own machine at a competitive price using higher-quality parts.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
If you already have Windows 7 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4357414&CatId=332
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Max out the ram.
iamthatdude_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iamthatdude_

Is it possible to reuse the dell case and just add in a new psu or would I be better off just geting a new case?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Is it possible to reuse the dell case and just add in a new psu or would I be better off just geting a new case?

iamthatdude_
Dell cases from that time period used proprietary power supplies. They look the same until you go to install the new one and realize that you would have to dremel out part of the rear of the case in order to make the new PSU fit...
iamthatdude_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iamthatdude_

Ahh that sucks, but oh well. I thought about going for the a6-3500, but the only thing my parents will be using is the web browser and watching youtube. Would the llano be that much be better for it than a sandy-bridge pentium dual core?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Honestly your parents would probably never notice the difference and both are major major improvements over the old Dell.
andyroo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 andyroo08
Member since 2004 • 2082 Posts

As much as I would normally be against it, I would recommend a refurbished Dell or HP, something like a Dell optiplex 755. They can be picked up cheap on ebay around $100 and are Core 2 machines. They are quite common, reliable and usually come from ex business environments.

It would be a huge upgrade over that 478 setup and would be more than suitable for their needs.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

As much as I would normally be against it, I would recommend a refurbished Dell or HP, something like a Dell optiplex 755. They can be picked up cheap on ebay around $100 and are Core 2 machines. They are quite common, reliable and usually come from ex business environments.

It would be a huge upgrade over that 478 setup and would be more than suitable for their needs.

andyroo08

I would recommend against that as they would still have an old machine that would need to be switched out in not so long.
Better to buy a new and decent PC now that can last a good while.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Well i doubt you could buy anything worse if you tried.

iamthatdude_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iamthatdude_

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. With black friday coming i'll see what I can find instead of building one.

gianlauk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gianlauk
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

andyroo08

Agree on this, you can pick a refurbished machine (but not too old, 1-2 year max) like the Optiplex 580 or 390

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/optiplex-desktops