Updated my 4850 Driver Catalyst 9.7 - Many games are now unplayable.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts

As the topic title suggests, I just updated my 4850 Drivers to Catalyst 9.7, and in consequence many games are now unplayable.

Here is a direct screenshot of what occurs when I boot into about 60% of my games,

Like normal, on a failed driver update, I rolledback my driver in an attempt to solve the issue. Driver 9.6 used to tun fine, but, however the rollback was to no avail. The same bizzare driver issue affected my Games.

After the rollback failed, I re-updated to Catalyst 9.7 - and yet the issue still remains. I am at a loss as to what to do. Perhaps update my Direct X? Unistall the entire GPU and re-install it?

:( And to think that the 9.7 Driver had WHQL certification, I thought it was safe...

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -CheeseEater-

Update - My Direct X is running the latest Version.

And on sidenote, no, my GPU is not overheating, it's running at 35 degrees. About 40% of my Games run fine (Eg. CoD4), 60% have failed, and show up with this strange effect (Eg. Crysis Warhead, GRiD)

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

Did you uninstall your previous driver or just install over it. If you just installed over it that is possibly the problem.

I would suggest that you download Driver Cleaner Pro and install it. Then uninstall the drivers. Then boot into safe mode and run the driver cleaner. Then boot back install the drivers and see if that fixes it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Did you try system restore?
S0H0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 S0H0
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts
I updated without issue. I'd hazard a guess that the problem is hardware. Unfortunately, I've seen that sort of effect before on damaged and dying video cards. I hope I'm wrong though.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -CheeseEater-
Did you try system restore?JigglyWiggly_
Probably going to be my next option.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -CheeseEater-
[QUOTE="S0H0"]I updated without issue. I'd hazard a guess that the problem is hardware. Unfortunately, I've seen that sort of effect before on damaged and dying video cards. I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't believe it is a dying card, largely due to the fact that it only effects some games, whilst others run perfectly fine. I think it might be a DirectX related issue, however, I cannot uninstall DirectX due to the fact that it is a key component of the Windows Operating System..
ameyzoo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ameyzoo1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
could i ask sum 1 who knows about pc gaming a few questions plz????
ameyzoo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ameyzoo1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
could i ask sum 1 who knows about pc gaming a few questions plz????ameyzoo1
i am running a laptop with mobile intel 965 chipset,latest drivers and graphic accelerator.........and a pc with intel g965 chipset then the same again!!!! i really wanna get online with cod4 but im not sure is my machine can handle it........any thouhgts??????
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="ameyzoo1"]could i ask sum 1 who knows about pc gaming a few questions plz????ameyzoo1
i am running a laptop with mobile intel 965 chipset,latest drivers and graphic accelerator.........and a pc with intel g965 chipset then the same again!!!! i really wanna get online with cod4 but im not sure is my machine can handle it........any thouhgts??????

Make a new thread.
assaulter_g4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 assaulter_g4
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I have the exact same problem as the op... since you stopped posting I assume you found the problem? Could you please give us an update, thanks
assaulter_g4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 assaulter_g4
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Since I don't see an edit button anywhere : Playing on NON punkbuster servers seemed to work for me.
BlackHawk88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BlackHawk88
Member since 2004 • 149 Posts

Since I don't see an edit button anywhere : Playing on NON punkbuster servers seemed to work for me.assaulter_g4

To edit a post, click on the white drop down menu near the bottom right of your post.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -CheeseEater-
Alright. So just this morning, I updated to ATi's new 9.8 Catalyst Drivers. The same effect occurs in Crysis Warhead and GRiD. There must be something a muck here - as when I do a system restore to my last working driver, this issue is resolved. Any ideas?
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
Try a full driver re-install. Go to control panel and run ATI install manager, uninstall all ATI components. Reboot, download Driver Sweeper, sweep for ATI, reboot. Install 9.8, worth a shot if you're having conflicts with an older driver, which could be the case.
laurentbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 laurentbtwin
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Hello ! I had the same probleme ! Go back to 9.6 ! That's works ! Dont restore your system, not necessary !
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -CheeseEater-
Hello ! I had the same probleme ! Go back to 9.6 ! That's works ! Dont restore your system, not necessary !laurentbtwin
Indeed. That's what I've had to do, however, it certainly would be nice to be able to update my drivers..
opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts
[QUOTE="laurentbtwin"]Hello ! I had the same probleme ! Go back to 9.6 ! That's works ! Dont restore your system, not necessary !-CheeseEater-
Indeed. That's what I've had to do, however, it certainly would be nice to be able to update my drivers..

How did you go about "updating" the driver? 2 people have posted about unistalling the old driver and running a driver sweeper program. You have made no indication that you have tried this. That would be the first place I would start.,