Truth about Skyrim price scam(?!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AManIsNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AManIsNoob
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Legendary Edition has been removed from Steam after it has been announced that Skyrim Remastered will be free for Legendary Edition owners. Instead Bethesda is now selling the DLCs seperately in bundle and it is being mentioned as Legendary Edition. The total Skyrim Legendary bundle is now 65$ where Skyrim Legendary edition was 40$ just months ago*.

*Prices are excluding sales. Sale prices are always subject to change. But to get a view- in this summer sale skyrim legendary is 26$, previous summer sale- 13$.

There is already a thread(many threads) about this on reddit.

TLDR- Bethesda changed Legendary edition prices after Skyrim Remastered announced. So if you did not have Legendary edition previously and you want to purchase that/ or get remastered you got screwed.

edit: Bethesda also accused of misleading price indication. Skyrim dragonborn was 20$ just before summer sale, now its 25$ and with discount 19$.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7703 Posts

the price has gone up on cdkey sites as well, now around 20$for legendary edition...

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@amanisnoob: That's not a "scam". They're trying to sell the newer version. It happened with tons of other games too, recently Dying Light. If you don't like it then don't buy it. No one is forcing anything upon you. 99% of people that wanted it already own it anyways and are getting the new edition for free. So many drama queens...

AManIsNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AManIsNoob
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

@saintsatan said:

@amanisnoob: That's not a "scam". They're trying to sell the newer version. It happened with tons of other games too, recently Dying Light. If you don't like it then don't buy it. No one is forcing anything upon you. 99% of people that wanted it already own it anyways and are getting the new edition for free. So many drama queens...

nobody is forcing anything upon anybody. that's not a point. your argument is invalid. just so you understand- ubisoft never forced gamers to buy assassins creed unity, but reviewers/gamers still got mad when ubisoft held review embargo even after unity release and unity came out as one of the most buggiest launch ever.

this is what we are debating about. can you sell your game "ABC" at higher price just after declaring that "ABC 2" or "ABC Remasterd" will be free for anyone who has "ABC"? maybe you can, but the question is- Should you?

but you are right about 'scam'. technically it might not seem as 'scam' or 'fraud'. but it is unfair. at least that's what our point of view. I understand your point of view is totally different.

and about the dlc overpricing just before summer sale- techinically it's (misleading price indication) against business rules and even a punishable crime in few countries. Seems like Bethesda just broke some laws, like some many other publishers in steam do.

"99% wanted.... "- that's not a point. Please don't start "47% will not vote...." debate. thank you.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Was this the same like Fallout 4 Season pass? It costed $30, but now it costs $50.

When devs add more content, they increase the price of the game.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Q: who doesn't own Skyrim by now? chances are low as a gamer that doesn't own GTA5 in his collection.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

Q: who doesn't own Skyrim by now? chances are low as a gamer that doesn't own GTA5 in his collection.

+1.

I have Skyrim Legendary Edition but I don't have GTAV! :P

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

I have just the normal version of skyrim, is the remaster going to be worth repurchasing the game?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

If I remember correctly when Doom BFG was released they removed the cheaper Doom 3 but subsequently re-added it.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Raising the price right before a sale is a downright scumbag move. Developers have done this before. Really, steam should pause price changes a week before sales go up

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2135 Posts

Still cheap on ebay if you want to get it.

You have to remember that these are the same guys who tried to sell mods, so why are you surprised about the price hike? Whey saw an opportunity to charge more before upgrading the game and took it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Gee - only if there was a way to stick it to publishers or developers who's practices you don't disagree with.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@PredatorRules: I was about to say I don't own GTAV but I do...on the 360.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

An easy way to make more money for little effort.

since they are updating it to 64-bit, I hope this means that the next TES game will be 64-bit as well.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

+1.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

@horgen: they need to either purchase or develop a brand new game engine. I'm not positive, but I think they've been using the same one since TES Oblivion.

Whatever they have been using, it has always looked terrible and/or not been used to the best of it's ability. Maybe they've just grown lazy, dependent on modders to make the games look better lol.

I said in a separate thread, they should just try to license the Frostbite engine next time. Or CryEngine, iirc Crytek built that thing mostly so they could sell it to developers.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i saw this coming from like a mile away.

The upgrade is free so of course they raised the price.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25: but that will mean a Tes game without its famous bugs. We can't have that. That would be crazy, and against everything Bethesda stands for.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Coseniath

@PredatorRules said:
@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

+1.

Should I also say that the last GTA that I liked is the 2nd? :P

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeryGo  Moderator

@Coseniath: Any dated open world sandbox games lately? please don't say Terraria XD

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

@Coseniath: Any dated open world sandbox games lately? please don't say Terraria XD

Starbound! :D

Loading Video...

Its still on early access though...

Also, Stardew Valley.

Loading Video...

:D

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers