Trouble understanding how a partition works/ why I need one.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

I will be building my computer in early May, and I've never installed an OS before, what is the point in a partition? Do I even need one? Do I have to make, say, a 15GB partition and install windows to it? Or can I just install Win7 without partitioning, are they just for organisation and storage purposes? I will be installing Win7.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Some people think that if you keep your data on a different partition then your data is going to be safe and it is thus backed up. WRONG!

Also people say that it makes you computer run faster having your Windows folder in a small dedicated partition,,,it barely makes any difference!

Basically for most people there is no point in having 2 partitions unless you want more than one operating system on your PC.

andyroo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 andyroo08
Member since 2004 • 2082 Posts

Well if you make a seperate partition just for the OS it means that if anything ever goes wrong with it, you can format that partition and reinstall wihout losing anything on the other partition. Unless it's a hard drive failure, then you're screwed either way. Other than that partitions are mainly for organisation or like daytona said a multiple OS setup.

So you don't 'need' to partition your drive, I've just got a single partition on my 1TB drive and its fine.

polarwrath11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 polarwrath11
Member since 2006 • 1676 Posts
I have a question: If you hav a 500GB HDD, partition off 15GB and install windows 7 there, would the program files folder situate itself on that 15GB partition? In which case, isn't it a pain to install stuff to your other partition, when the default install path would be on the 15GB windows partition?
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

You would have to change the defaultinstallation path - if the prgram allows it - some programs will always install on c:

I don't suggest making a small windows partition for this reason. Make a large enough to fit windows and programs. Have another partition for data only. Like 150 GB and 350 GB for a 500 GB disk.

andyroo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 andyroo08
Member since 2004 • 2082 Posts

I have a question: If you hav a 500GB HDD, partition off 15GB and install windows 7 there, would the program files folder situate itself on that 15GB partition? In which case, isn't it a pain to install stuff to your other partition, when the default install path would be on the 15GB windows partition?polarwrath11

Yep that's right. So the windows partition size would depend on what applications your planning to install on your comp. These days 15gb is too small, something like 60gb or more would be appropriate. Then you would store everything else like data, videos, music, etc. on the other partition.

Pretty sure you could somehow set the default installation path to the other partition, but it would be pretty messy:P

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

[QUOTE="polarwrath11"]I have a question: If you hav a 500GB HDD, partition off 15GB and install windows 7 there, would the program files folder situate itself on that 15GB partition? In which case, isn't it a pain to install stuff to your other partition, when the default install path would be on the 15GB windows partition?andyroo08

Yep that's right. So the windows partition size would depend on what applications your planning to install on your comp. These days 15gb is too small, something like 60gb or more would be appropriate. Then you would store everything else like data, videos, music, etc. on the other partition.

Pretty sure you could somehow set the default installation path to the other partition, but it would be pretty messy:P

This and a point to add. Be sure to make about 150GB or greater, for the Windows installation as the loading times will be much slower if the partition is filled with data.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Some people think that if you keep your data on a different partition then your data is going to be safe and it is thus backed up. WRONG!

Also people say that it makes you computer run faster having your Windows folder in a small dedicated partition,,,it barely makes any difference!

Basically for most people there is no point in having 2 partitions unless you want more than one operating system on your PC.

Daytona_178

Sorry, but your first point is just plain wrong. I had a huge BSOD last year that corrupted my OS and the entire partition it was on. I had two partitions on my HDD though and while the OS partition and all the other stuff on it (games, documents, movies, etc) was nearly impossible to get to, the other partition was still completely fine as I could still mount it using Ubuuntu and get everything off without a hitch. The OS partition though, once I finally got it repaired and mounted, still had some data corruption (various files couldn't be moved/copied due to corruption). So yes, partitioning definitely does protect your data from anything bad that happens in other partitions. Obviously it won't save you from a data eating virus or complete HDD failure, but it will save data on that particular partition from failing just because another partition randomly failed too.