TOR lost 400k subscriptions since February, 1.3mil active subs right now

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#51 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts

So? Most MMOs take a dive after the first few months. They stablize after 3-4 months and then stay pretty steady if the developer keeps releasing content.

Same happened with Rift and that game is still very active.

Wasdie
That could be an issue for this game though, considering how there has been no more than one medium sized patch released in six months.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

So? Most MMOs take a dive after the first few months. They stablize after 3-4 months and then stay pretty steady if the developer keeps releasing content.

Same happened with Rift and that game is still very active.

K4ss3r

That could be an issue for this game though, considering how there has been no more than one medium sized patch released in six months.

There has been 2 large patches and the game has been out for a little over 4 months.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#53 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

I still don't get why people get so excited about a MMO losing subs. I mean TORtanic...really? Does it make you feel good inside to see another PC exclusive in a negative light?

I really don't get it...I want all pc games to do well even if I don't like the game.

But whatever.....

BSC14
I guess people are angry because they wanted KoTor3, not a MMO. Many people believe they made the Kotor3 into a mmo because EA hoped they could get into the MMORPG area like Blizzard did with Warcraft.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

By the time they make this game free to play no one is going to care. Star Trek Online anyone?SKaREO
Are you comparing it to Star Trek Online as a failure or are you asking people to play Star Trek Online? Because both of those options would be illogical. :cool:

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

If it were not for SWTOR a lot of people on this forum would be really bored....well I guess they could find something else to bash every day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

If it were not for SWTOR a lot of people on this forum would be really bored....well I guess they could find something else to bash every day.

BSC14
Ture, but nothing else would deserve the bashing as much as swtor.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#57 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="BSC14"]

I still don't get why people get so excited about a MMO losing subs. I mean TORtanic...really? Does it make you feel good inside to see another PC exclusive in a negative light?

I really don't get it...I want all pc games to do well even if I don't like the game.

But whatever.....

Miroku32
I guess people are angry because they wanted KoTor3, not a MMO. Many people believe they made the Kotor3 into a mmo because EA hoped they could get into the MMORPG area like Blizzard did with Warcraft.

Well they said it would be Kotor 3-10 (or whatever) and apparently many people bought into and EA/Bioware didn't deliver.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="Miroku32"][QUOTE="BSC14"]

But whatever.....

Gooeykat

Well they said it would be Kotor 3-10 (or whatever) and apparently many people bought into and EA/Bioware didn't deliver.

to be honest, story wise, yes it is what they said. it's just that the voice acting and quest styles/environments are so terribly made. I was skipping dialogue by level 15.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

the best thing about SWTOR was being a jerk to Jorgan. Otherwise the game sucked.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
By the time they make this game free to play no one is going to care. Star Trek Online anyone?SKaREO
.. The game will not be going free to play any time soon.. Anything beyond a few hundred thousand is considered a huge success in the MMORPG franchise.. A MMO does not need millions of subscriptions to sustain themselves..
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]By the time they make this game free to play no one is going to care. Star Trek Online anyone?sSubZerOo
.. The game will not be going free to play any time soon.. Anything beyond a few hundred thousand is considered a huge success in the MMORPG franchise.. A MMO does not need millions of subscriptions to sustain themselves..

They need 500k to be profitable, good luck with that!

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Most MMO's aren't single player games in disguise.shakmaster13

Man, i couldn't have said it better myself!

I was part of the 400K since February. The game is great....or at least above average from level 1 through 50. Bioware put a ton of work into the stories, voice acting, and cutscenes. Its a solid RPG. However, this game seriously stinks as a MMO.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="SKaREO"]By the time they make this game free to play no one is going to care. Star Trek Online anyone?Baranga

They already have almost 3x this much... I don't think they need much luck.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 wis3boi

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="SKaREO"]By the time they make this game free to play no one is going to care. Star Trek Online anyone?Baranga

They already made more than their desired profits with boxed sales alone. People subbing is just a bonus for them

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#65 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11796 Posts

The game has a decent foundation, but if it wants to remain in competitive, or even a fun game, its gonna have to get some much needed improvements.

The sound is one thing lately that has been broken in it for a while. Channels cutting in, and out. Can't even hear certain things, its quite ridiculous.

I enjoy the game, and think it could be a great game, but it seems as if Bioware is ignoring some of the most blatant of issues. With Diablo III coming out in a week, and a few other games happening, and me getting a little more focused on my music... I haven't been playing SWTOR that much. Not enough to warrant the $15 a month x2.. Especially when the devs are ignoring a game breaking problem that has went on for a month now. (among other things)

I will hand over the leader of the guild position to my friend in the game, and my gf, and I will suspend our accounts for a few months. Until they get some of these issues fixed. I have seen a few improvements since launch, but lately its just not that great. I don't see the point in paying monthly for a game I am hardly playing atm. (we can always come back IF they fix these issues, but right now, its disappointing)

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

They already made more than their desired profits with boxed sales alone. People subbing is just a bonus for themwis3boi

The game reportedly cost over $200 million to make. How do you figure they have already made a profit from box sales alone?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]They already made more than their desired profits with boxed sales alone. People subbing is just a bonus for them-wildflower-

The game reportedly cost over $200 million to make. How do you figure they have already made a profit from box sales alone?

it was closer to ~$100, someone at PR bloated the numbers in some rumors
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] .. The game will not be going free to play any time soon.. Anything beyond a few hundred thousand is considered a huge success in the MMORPG franchise.. A MMO does not need millions of subscriptions to sustain themselves.. wis3boi

They already made more than their desired profits with boxed sales alone. People subbing is just a bonus for them

They said before the game was released they need like 1 million subscribers to break even or something.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Cloud567kar

They said before the game was released they need like 1 million subscribers to break even or something.

EA said they needed 500k subscribers to be majorly profitable.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#70 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

you know whats funniest about all this.. square enix will have an mmo fossils old with more subscribers than swtor will if this trend continues

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 wis3boi

you know whats funniest about all this.. square enix will have an mmo fossils old with more subscribers than swtor will if this trend continues

ionusX
SE also has a modern MMO that died before it went retail
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

They already have almost 3x this much... I don't think they need much luck.FPSfan1985

They need 500k to keep it running but "it's not the kind of thing we would write home about".

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

500k to keep it running just means that they cover their variable and non-sunk fixed costs. You don't know how long at 500k it would take for the game to profitable.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]They already have almost 3x this much... I don't think they need much luck.Baranga

They need 500k to keep it running but "it's not the kind of thing we would write home about".

Actually what it says in that article is that 500k subscribers would be 'substantially profitable', which is hardly the same as just paying the bills. Essentially, if the article says that if they can keep 500k subscribers the game would be a success, if they can keep 1 million it would be "a very profitable business". So right now they are well above what they'd need to be 'very profitable'.

Again, 1.3 million is very good for an MMO including SWTOR. The real question is if they can hold onto the subscribers or if they will keep dropping. If they keep losing 100k every month or two, they are going to start to be in real trouble half a year from now. If they can stabilize the numbers over the next couple of months, the game could be a very solid success for EA. Basically it's still much to early call it one way or the other.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Just more and more issues for EA. Shares dropped to there 10 year low. The future is grim

Darocy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Darocy
Member since 2011 • 141 Posts

EA is what needs to die. They suc and want to shovel crap out the door and make a profit for doing nothing to the fan base that supports it.

I hope they continue the trend or learn that they need quality. It's still crap no matter how great the hype or package is.

This is why all the hate they took a great name and fanbase and they put it thru their crap process and expected gold.

I hope that people will learn that money speaks volumes and I will not support their stuff any longer.

EA is not helping the companies that are putting out great stuff and will support it correctly.

There is only so much gaming money to be had and they aren't worth the fanbase they have.

I hope they change their ways back to great products and great support.

This isn't the first game they have beaten into the ground for the money.

antics101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 antics101
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts

I played swtor till ME3 came out and even tried getting back into it in April. These are the things Tor failed at...

- Gear, It's too easy to get and stats/set bonuses were horrible. I decked out my 2 50s i raided with in columni and rakata gear in 2 weeks. The artwork was just awful and to the genius who decided to make aug gear to be the best cheers.

- Rep Heroic FP, easiest one is Taral V (Esseles, MP was way harder than the Imperial equivalents) you also needed a pretty decently geared tank to run the other ones.

- Had it with the nerfs, my op laughable healing then later on **** dps. Same thing with my healing commando. Apparently, if your not wielding a saber your on the chopping block.

- BWs half ass combat log.

- No real rewards - in PvP Illum is pretty much dead. Space combat is dull it revolves around dodging lasers and rocks, very disappointed in this.

I can say one very good thing about this game is when your new and like star wars lore 1-50 is fun depending on the class, although you can reach 50 in 1 week (1 planet a day about 6hrs after Balmorra/Talus).

ToR will probably be my last MMO, now gonna wait for D3 and Simcity..

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 wis3boi

I played swtor till ME3 came out and even tried getting back into it in April. These are the things Tor failed at...

- Gear, It's too easy to get and stats/set bonuses were horrible. I decked out my 2 50s i raided with in columni and rakata gear in 2 weeks. The artwork was just awful and to the genius who decided to make aug gear to be the best cheers.

- Rep Heroic FP, easiest one is Taral V (Esseles, MP was way harder than the Imperial equivalents) you also needed a pretty decently geared tank to run the other ones.

- Had it with the nerfs, my op laughable healing then later on **** dps. Same thing with my healing commando. Apparently, if your not wielding a saber your on the chopping block.

- BWs half ass combat log.

- No real rewards - in PvP Illum is pretty much dead. Space combat is dull it revolves around dodging lasers and rocks, very disappointed in this.

I can say one very good thing about this game is when your new and like star wars lore 1-50 is fun depending on the class, although you can reach 50 in 1 week (1 planet a day about 6hrs after Balmorra/Talus).

ToR will probably be my last MMO, now gonna wait for D3 and Simcity..

antics101

Agreed. I enjoy the realm of star wars it was set in, I found that fun for a bit....but those planet designs and layouts.....ughhh...gross. Also, what killed it for me was the incredibly lack of social options and activities. I come from 3 years old LotrO where there are speech bubbles, tons of great emotes, group social events, play made music and instruments, etc. SWTOR felt very shallow compared to LotrO even though SWTOR's combat was a bit more fun, IMO.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#79 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

They should had just made KOTOR 3.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 wis3boi

mitu123

on ME3's engine. With real time combat, and sweet dynamic melee combat..../drools. I don't care what anyone says or thinks about the ME series, once I saw how the games were set up, I dreamed of a KotoR set up like them.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#81 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

wis3boi

on ME3's engine. With real time combat, and sweet dynamic melee combat..../drools. I don't care what anyone says or thinks about the ME series, once I saw how the games were set up, I dreamed of a KotoR set up like them.

That would be like a million times better, I wonder why they didn't go with that...or make it like their 1st one for that matter.
antics101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 antics101
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

mitu123

That would be like a million times better, I wonder why they didn't go with that...or make it like their 1st one for that matter.

They realized SWG sucked, and wanted to cash in....
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Ravenshout
Member since 2012 • 1265 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

mitu123

It is because MMOs generally make more money than your one-time-purchase single-player games. None of Bioware games has ever reached 10 million sales.

While The Old Republic has only 1.3 millions subscribers, such a number is huge if they are able to retain it for a year or two.

Remember, the key phrase is this: Monthly subscription.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

Die! die! die! die! die!

l-lord
lol
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

If this game does fail then the guys who worked on it will no doubt loe their jobs. They have families to feed. All the guys here who want nothing more than for it to die and close down are pretty ignorant.

Fair enough if the game sucks but even then, I would only wish the best for them. The job market is so tough right now that if it did fail then their kids would suffer amongst other things.

Seriously you all need to grow up and take a look at reality.

Darocy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Darocy
Member since 2011 • 141 Posts

If this game does fail then the guys who worked on it will no doubt loe their jobs. They have families to feed. All the guys here who want nothing more than for it to die and close down are pretty ignorant.

Fair enough if the game sucks but even then, I would only wish the best for them. The job market is so tough right now that if it did fail then their kids would suffer amongst other things.

HyperWarlock

Worst excuse to keep a POS going. If what is being done is not working why continue to support it. The ones who are working will find another job - the good always do.

Anybody that is really good have more then likely already moved on to another project only the no loads are left. Reality is that if the ship is sinkiing the smart rats have already jumped. Only the dumb ones stay till it sinks.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]They already made more than their desired profits with boxed sales alone. People subbing is just a bonus for themwis3boi

it was closer to ~$100, someone at PR bloated the numbers in some rumors

I've actually read a few articles that claim the $200 million price tag, considering the number of teams involved and the game's lengthy development cycle etc., is a low-ball, conservative, estimate. At any rate, going with your figure and assuming the game cost around $100 million, I still wouldn't think that have made their money back from box sales. Even if they sold 2.5 million copies at $60 a crack (and that is a BIG IF).

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Game is still pretty fun for me. I shall continue to play.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 24001 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

wis3boi

Are you implying Kotor with combat similar to Jedi Academy?

Because that would be awesome.

Demonfail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Demonfail
Member since 2012 • 233 Posts

I guess thats what happens when a game gets hyped as a WoW killer, like every other MMO in recent memory. Sadly, I hope the same doesn't happen to GW2 but it will.

jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Ravenshout

It is because MMOs generally make more money than your one-time-purchase single-player games. None of Bioware games has ever reached 10 million sales.

While The Old Republic has only 1.3 millions subscribers, such a number is huge if they are able to retain it for a year or two.

This is something I've been wondering for a long time. MMO's can't be THAT profitable. Think about it. With an MMO you have to first, develop the game, then sell it and continually provide updates to keep everybody interested. On top of those two things, you have to maintain the servers and employees in order to keep everything running smooth. does anyone know anything about this? I think I'm going to google it.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Mazoch

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] That would be like a million times better, I wonder why they didn't go with that...or make it like their 1st one for that matter.jhalter1

This is something I've been wondering for a long time. MMO's can't be THAT profitable. Think about it. With an MMO you have to first, develop the game, then sell it and continually provide updates to keep everybody interested. On top of those two things, you have to maintain the servers and employees in order to keep everything running smooth. does anyone know anything about this? I think I'm going to google it.

The flip side is that if the game is subscription driven, $15 a month means that the player spends $180 a year on that game. That the equivilent of three full cost titles every year (in addition to the initial cost of the game and any additional expansions).

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

antics101

They realized SWG sucked, and wanted to cash in....

The hell does that have to do with Galaxies? haha
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

I dont know if there is some hidden majority of players which do not represent forum posters but for the time I have been involved in MMOs (about 6 years) if all our opinions and disapointments matches the customer base as a whole I wouldnt be surprised if developers in all their wisdom and intelligence soon start to say:

'people just dont like MMOs like they used to'..

lol

SEANMCAD

Well I think it is going to come back full circle to the sandbox MMO's of the early days. I mean if you think about it before World of Warcraft it was pretty much dominated by sandbox MMO's which kept most people away because they can have high learning curves. Warcraft comes along and brings the themepark ride in and the kids and "casuals" hop on board and play.

Fast forward 7-8 years now, those kids are now older and the "casuals" are getting bored of the same old same old and want change while most of us early sandbox MMO vets are sitting by waiting for the next MMO title that isn't a themepark. Sadly we have been waiting for awhile haha.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Maroxad

Are you implying Kotor with combat similar to Jedi Academy?

Because that would be awesome.

Yea, at least for melee. Plus, I had always had a dream of KotoR 3 alowign me to pick a class and stick with it. What if I don't want to be a jedi? That sorta thing. Like ME3 style class slection. Use the classes from SWTOR maybe. Make jedi the ultimate melee users or supporters, and like a trooper the ultimate ranged damage dealer

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Mazoch

[QUOTE="jhalter1"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"] It is because MMOs generally make more money than your one-time-purchase single-player games. None of Bioware games has ever reached 10 million sales.

Mazoch

The flip side is that if the game is subscription driven, $15 a month means that the player spends $180 a year on that game. That the equivilent of three full cost titles every year (in addition to the initial cost of the game and any additional expansions).

To expand a bit on this. When a publisher sells a retail game through GameStop or online through STEAM, the game will normally sell for $60. However the retailer takes ~25% of that money so suddenly the publisher gets more like $45 pr. game. (If it?s a console title, remove another $10-12 to the console company).

Revenues collected from subscribers or through micro transactions go 100% to the publisher running the game.

For example; imagine you release a 'normal' game and sell 1.000.000 copies on the PC @ $60. That means that you'd get approx 40 million in revenue. On the console it would be more like 30 million. Hopefully that should be enough to cover the cost of developing the game.
Now imagine an MMO that sells 1.000.000 copies. It would also earn 40 million in initial revenues. However imagine if just 200.000 of those people subscriber to the game. The first year, the subscription revenues would equal 36.000.000. The second year the revenues would be 72 million, then 108 million after three years. And remember that 200k is not that big a subscription number for an MMO. Now take those numbers again and consider how much you?d make with a million subscribers. In five years you could make revenues of almost a billion dollars.

So sure, you need to pay for servers and a small dev team to continue development and maintenance on the MMO, but it?s not that much compared to the cost of a full scale game development team, and the revenues more than make up for it.

There's are obviously not real world numbers as lots of other factors would play in. It does hoever illustrate why MMO's are so tempting for game developers.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#98 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

HyperWarlock

If job market is so tough , next time that they will spend 200million $$ for their game ( when WoW costed half of it ) better deliver or else ... theyll lose their job indeed.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
It was fun, just the typical you need to play with friends to continue. If Bioware had listened to the fans, they could have made KOTOR 3 and sold more copies. But they aren't good at listening sadly, you can see this from DA 2 :(