Tomb Raider 2013 out now!

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Game is maintaining 50fps (with occasional dips to 30-40fps) for me with settings on Ultimate. Although, from time to time there's some graphical glitches with AA. Honestly, TressFX is too... spazzy... Hair has a mind of it's own.

trastamad03
NO...the hair looks amazing. :) Now more games need moar good hair like this.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ShadowDeathX

Oh beautiful hair.... (Captured by Steam which for some reason doesn't like to capture any post-process AA)

CFBBDD7721B9555A7341730FAF005E7CAC265D42

F301A1E6F65ACAE7AF12E8CA2079AF4673BE3CF3

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Kaisfate
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts
and... is it just me or does anyone else think Croft is kinda ugly now?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Does anyone know what the high precision graphics setting does? I hate it when a game uses uncommon graphics settings and doesn't explain what they do...

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Kaisfate
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

Game is maintaining 50fps (with occasional dips to 30-40fps) for me with settings on Ultimate. Although, from time to time there's some graphical glitches with AA. Honestly, TressFX is too... spazzy... Hair has a mind of it's own.

ShadowDeathX

sorry but you are in the minority on this one. the hair IS a spazz... it is completely all over the place when croft isnt just standing still. i think you are only maybe one of 2 or 3 people in the dozens i have seen post about this that has actually liked the hair. it is just ridiculous looking in motion.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]

Kaisfate

sorry but you are in the minority on this one. the hair IS a spazz... it is completely all over the place when croft isnt just standing still. i think you are only maybe one of 2 or 3 people in the dozens i have seen post about this that has actually liked the hair. it is just ridiculous looking in motion.

Well I like it more than a big stack hanging on the back of her head.

I think a lot of people hate on it because it rips their computer to shreds when they enable it.

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Kaisfate

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"] NO...the hair looks amazing. :) Now more games need moar good hair like this.RyviusARC

I think a lot of people hate on it because it rips their computer to shreds when they enable it.

i would take a block of hair over the medusa snakes wiggling all over the place that you get with TressFX any day....oh and the 25+FPS drop accompanied by it.

FYI... i have a GTX570, core i5 2500k @4.4ghz, and 16gigs of ram.... and the game regularly dips into the teens when up in crofts face... and when normal play resumes it is usually in the 25-30fps range..... turn tressFX off? 55-60FPS and higher depending on what is going on.... that is at 1920x1080 though. the frame dip alone makes it not worth it... it looking completely ridiculous in motion is just further "oh hell nah" reinforcement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

I think the hair is pretty nice looking, sure it isn't perfect, but it is still way better than the default, and having dynamic hair like that in a game is awesome.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"] sorry but you are in the minority on this one. the hair IS a spazz... it is completely all over the place when croft isnt just standing still. i think you are only maybe one of 2 or 3 people in the dozens i have seen post about this that has actually liked the hair. it is just ridiculous looking in motion.Kaisfate

i would take a block of hair over the medusa snakes wiggling all over the place that you get with TressFX any day....oh and the 25+FPS drop accompanied by it.

FYI... i have a GTX570, core i5 2500k @4.4ghz, and 16gigs of ram.... and the game regularly dips into the teens when up in crofts face... and when normal play resumes it is usually in the 25-30fps range..... turn tressFX off? 55-60FPS and higher depending on what is going on.... that is at 1920x1080 though. the frame dip alone makes it not worth it... it looking completely ridiculous in motion is just further "oh hell nah" reinforcement.

That is because TressFX uses Open-source OpenCL/DirectCompute. Open source GPU Computing is something Nvidia has lagged way behind compared to AMD. Nvidia is too focus trying to make CUDA and PhysX a big thing, so they don't care about open source.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#60 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Apparently if you are having crashing problems with a Nvidia card, turning off tesselation solves the issue, as does rolling back to older drivers (before 314). 

Haven't had the chance to test this out yet. 

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ShadowDeathX

I think the hair is pretty nice looking, sure it isn't perfect, but it is still way better than the default, and having dynamic hair like that in a game is awesome.

ferret-gamer
She has thin hair too. I think most people on here are complaing because they are male and most likely have short hair. Trying seeing someone with long hair run around. Their hair goes crazy.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ShadowDeathX

Does anyone know what the high precision graphics setting does? I hate it when a game uses uncommon graphics settings and doesn't explain what they do...

JangoWuzHere
High Precision HDR lighting.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Made the unfortunate mistake of trying multiplayer first, was pretty horrible then tried singleplayer and that was alot better.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
I'm about an hour into the game. Running 314.07 driver (specs in sig), Max settings, and performance is great so far and no crashes. I'm using FXAA though, because SSAA causes all kinds of weird artifacts. Has someone tried forcing MSAA yet? Does it work fine? TressFX mostly looks nice, but moves too crazy sometimes. It also eats about 20fps.. I prefer the hair in Alice Madness Returns.
Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Kaisfate
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]I'm about an hour into the game. Running 314.07 driver (specs in sig), Max settings, and performance is great so far and no crashes. I'm using FXAA though, because SSAA causes all kinds of weird artifacts. Has someone tried forcing MSAA yet? Does it work fine? TressFX mostly looks nice, but moves too crazy sometimes. It also eats about 20fps.. I prefer the hair in Alice Madness Returns.

exactly. the hair in that game looked just as good as TressFX and had zero performance impact. TressFX is pretty much officially a complete fail. even on AMD cards it is causing a 10-15 frame drop in performance... which is completely unacceptable for something so minor.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 RyviusARC

Does anyone get issues with reloading checkpoints?

When I start the game up and load from certain checkpoints my fps tanks from 35 to 14.

The checkpoint with the first wolf attack was the worst with a comparison of 33fps when first going through and 6fps when reloading from that checkpoint.

I know it's a bug because I was getting a smooth framerate when I was playing before quiting from the game.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 RyviusARC

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]I'm about an hour into the game. Running 314.07 driver (specs in sig), Max settings, and performance is great so far and no crashes. I'm using FXAA though, because SSAA causes all kinds of weird artifacts. Has someone tried forcing MSAA yet? Does it work fine? TressFX mostly looks nice, but moves too crazy sometimes. It also eats about 20fps.. I prefer the hair in Alice Madness Returns.Kaisfate
exactly. the hair in that game looked just as good as TressFX and had zero performance impact. TressFX is pretty much officially a complete fail. even on AMD cards it is causing a 10-15 frame drop in performance... which is completely unacceptable for something so minor.

Actually the tressFX hair is much more detailed compared to the hair in Alice Madness Returns.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]I'm about an hour into the game. Running 314.07 driver (specs in sig), Max settings, and performance is great so far and no crashes. I'm using FXAA though, because SSAA causes all kinds of weird artifacts. Has someone tried forcing MSAA yet? Does it work fine? TressFX mostly looks nice, but moves too crazy sometimes. It also eats about 20fps.. I prefer the hair in Alice Madness Returns.Kaisfate

Alice's hair is of a significantly worse quality than that in tomb raider, and it had a performance cost.  You can't turn it off in the first place with Alice to test the performance hit

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

sooo...is the game actually good?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

TheShadowLord07
Yeah
Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Kaisfate

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]I'm about an hour into the game. Running 314.07 driver (specs in sig), Max settings, and performance is great so far and no crashes. I'm using FXAA though, because SSAA causes all kinds of weird artifacts. Has someone tried forcing MSAA yet? Does it work fine? TressFX mostly looks nice, but moves too crazy sometimes. It also eats about 20fps.. I prefer the hair in Alice Madness Returns.RyviusARC

Actually the tressFX hair is much more detailed compared to the hair in Alice Madness Returns.

detailed? its strands of hair.... there is no detail. both flow naturally, both look like individual strands of hair, both have a nice shine to them, both have a hair texture to them. i have played both games, there is almost no difference between the two. MAYBE tomb raider's hair has more body or something, but there is little to no difference. the performance impact is easy to measure. alice ran at over 80fps.... tomb raider, with tressFX on, runs at like 15fps...even if you take in to account that tomb raider does tesselation and HDR, its not hard to see that clearly the hair in Alice was far less impactfull on performance due to tesselation and HDR NOT accounting for a drop of 60FPS....
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RyviusARC

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"] exactly. the hair in that game looked just as good as TressFX and had zero performance impact. TressFX is pretty much officially a complete fail. even on AMD cards it is causing a 10-15 frame drop in performance... which is completely unacceptable for something so minor.Kaisfate

detailed? its strands of hair.... there is no detail. both flow naturally, both look like individual strands of hair, both have a nice shine to them, both have a hair texture to them. i have played both games, there is almost no difference between the two. MAYBE tomb raider's hair has more body or something, but there is little to no difference. the performance impact is easy to measure. alice ran at over 80fps.... tomb raider, with tressFX on, runs at like 15fps...even if you take in to account that tomb raider does tesselation and HDR, its not hard to see that clearly the hair in Alice was far less impactfull on performance due to tesselation and HDR NOT accounting for a drop of 60FPS....

Nope Lara has much more detail in the hair.

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts

TheShadowLord07
very
Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Kaisfate

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

RyviusARC

Nope Lara has much more detail in the hair.

no, it doesnt. they look almost identical in quality. they are both wispy, both drape over things, both have a nice shine... the only difference you are seeing is laura's hair is styled whereas alice's hair is long and straight. seeing them in game and in motion, they have near identical properties to them. infact, i would have to say that the hair in Alice is far more effective because it actually clumps up like real hair does in motion, unlike the TressFX hair that just goes **** EVERYWHERE in individual strands when you are running.

face it dude, TressFX is a resource hog and is fail right now. maybe after they optimize it and make it less spazzy it will be worth using.

alice_madness_returns_by_jeux422-d412sw9tumblr_m6e94rs7QB1ru8d9jo1_500.gifalice-madness-returns-3.jpg

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

KodiakKoolaid

very

is the platform parts durable using only kb/m? i dont have the money to get both the game and a controller.

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 KodiakKoolaid

[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"][QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

TheShadowLord07

very

is the platform parts durable using only kb/m? i dont have the money to get both the game and a controller.

Perfectly playable with kb/m, although a controller would be ideal.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 RyviusARC

no, it doesnt. they look almost identical in quality. they are both wispy, both drape over things, both have a nice shine... the only difference you are seeing is laura's hair is styled whereas alice's hair is long and straight. seeing them in game and in motion, they have near identical properties to them. infact, i would have to say that the hair in Alice is far more effective because it actually clumps up like real hair does in motion, unlike the TressFX hair that just goes **** EVERYWHERE in individual strands when you are running.

face it dude, TressFX is a resource hog and is fail right now. maybe after they optimize it and make it less spazzy it will be worth using.

Kaisfate

You need glasses.

Yes tressFX is a hog, but it is more detailed than the hair from Alice Madness Returns.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Think im the only one who dislikes Lara's (not that i liked her look before) new look... After Crysis 3 i think i hate all character faces when it comes to detail :P
KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 KodiakKoolaid
Think im the only one who dislikes Lara's (not that i liked her look before) new look... After Crysis 3 i think i hate all character faces when it comes to detail :Psilversix_
I think she looks pretty cute in a weird way. She looks like she has some asian features.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#80 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I'm really shocked at the performance when it comes to using TressFX, in fact I get between 40-70FPS with it on maxed out even.

I'm on 2 670s no less.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Think im the only one who dislikes Lara's (not that i liked her look before) new look... After Crysis 3 i think i hate all character faces when it comes to detail :PKodiakKoolaid
I think she looks pretty cute in a weird way. She looks like she has some asian features.

This is cute
Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-2013.jpg
tomb_Raider_lara_thumb.jpg

This is not
tomb_raider_2013_x12_by_kinia24lara-d52p

Dislike her ingame face, poorly detailed compared to other shots i posted. And blocky fingers are very noticeable :(

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 KodiakKoolaid

[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"][QUOTE="silversix_"]Think im the only one who dislikes Lara's (not that i liked her look before) new look... After Crysis 3 i think i hate all character faces when it comes to detail :Psilversix_

This is cute
Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-2013.jpg
tomb_Raider_lara_thumb.jpg

This is not
tomb_raider_2013_x12_by_kinia24lara-d52p

Dislike her ingame face, poorly detailed compared to other shots i posted. And blocky fingers are very noticeable :(

Looks ok to me, guess we have different tastes. Anyway game designers seem to have problems designing natural looking women, they all look a little off to me.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The new Lara looks like Angie Varona:

21bqkjr.jpg

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 KodiakKoolaid

21bqkjr.jpg

Baranga
wow, she is f*cking gorgeous!
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
[QUOTE="Baranga"]

21bqkjr.jpg

KodiakKoolaid

Ya i feel bad for her... Did you read her wiki page? Geez...
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mitu123

jXOnI5QoLdtkY.png

Not bad considering it's on Nvidia cards.

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Kaisfate

I'm really shocked at the performance when it comes to using TressFX, in fact I get between 40-70FPS with it on maxed out even.

I'm on 2 670s no less.

mitu123
are you saying shocked good or shocked bad...? because 40FPS with SLI 670s is a complete joke.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

I'm on 2 670s no less.

Kaisfate

are you saying shocked good or shocked bad...? because 40FPS with SLI 670s is a complete joke.

Considering that the hair makes you lose a lot of performance and on cards not optimized to use TressFX it's acceptable, I can imagine it being horrible with 1 670 and I rarely drop to 40 as well.

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Kaisfate

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"]

RyviusARC

You need glasses.

Yes tressFX is a hog, but it is more detailed than the hair from Alice Madness Returns.

rofl... whatever dude. you cannot give "more detail" to strands of hair.... it is either a strand or it isnt. if it is a long, cylindrical shaft bunched up with a bunch of other long cylindrical shafts.... that is about all you can do. the hair doesnt even have a texture on it, it just has a reflective shine. there is nothing to give more detail to. get off the AMD hype train and admit TressFX is nothing special currently. Physx and other DX11 effects can achieve what it is doing with far less performance hit... and if the hair in Alice is any indication, it looks a hell of a lot less spazzy as well.
Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Kaisfate

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

I'm on 2 670s no less.

mitu123

Considering that the hair makes you lose a lot of performance and on cards not optimized to use TressFX it's acceptable, I can imagine it being horrible with 1 670 and I rarely drop to 40 as well.

wow... you sure have mighty low standards for your ~700+ dollars worth of graphics cards. if i spent that kind of money on just my GPUs... anything less than 60FPS -always- would be a complete failure.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 mitu123

Now for a comparison, top pic is 1 670 and bottom is 2 670s.

jLHzWwhh6Tfo2.png

jljdbG2CC4B0e.png

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 KodiakKoolaid

[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"][QUOTE="Baranga"]

21bqkjr.jpg

trastamad03

Ya i feel bad for her... Did you read her wiki page? Geez...

ppl are such d*cks. Hope she is alright now.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"] are you saying shocked good or shocked bad...? because 40FPS with SLI 670s is a complete joke.Kaisfate

wow... you sure have mighty low standards for your ~700+ dollars worth of graphics cards. if i spent that kind of money on just my GPUs... anything less than 60FPS -always- would be a complete failure.

I don't mind since I'm fine with 40+FPS anyways, and I tend to use lots of AA in my games. It's when I get below 30FPS with 2 670s then that's a huge problem.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 harry_james_pot  Moderator
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="Kaisfate"]

Kaisfate

You need glasses.

rofl... whatever dude. you cannot give "more detail" to strands of hair.... it is either a strand or it isnt. if it is a long, cylindrical shaft bunched up with a bunch of other long cylindrical shafts.... that is about all you can do. the hair doesnt even have a texture on it, it just has a reflective shine. there is nothing to give more detail to. get off the AMD hype train and admit TressFX is nothing special currently. Physx and other DX11 effects can achieve what it is doing with far less performance hit... and if the hair in Alice is any indication, it looks a hell of a lot less spazzy as well.

Actually, hair strand can have details, as in more vertices in the hair splines... And the hair in tomb raider IS more detailed that way. But still like you said, the way it moves is much more realistic in Alice.
gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts
Looks like a great game but I think I'm gonna wait for the steam summer sale. Mostly cause I'm a Cheap :P
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Just ran the benchmark. TressFx off: Min: 42 Max: 60 (I have no idea why it was locked to 60 even though Vsync was off) Average: 57 TressFX on: Min: 6 (Now that is really weird.. I didn't see the benchmark drop even below 20, and yet it says min fps is 6 :|) Max: 44 Average: 37
Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

TheShadowLord07

Absolutely. I'm a few hours in and it's been a wild ride, but there's still exploration. You can fast travel to older waypoints and look for hidden tombs and collectable you can only access with newly acquired equipment, some of the playable areas are pretty big.

The combat is great too and feels very satisfying.

There are a couple of QTE's, but I don't mind them.

So far the game trumps Uncharted in the genre imo.

BeerMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 BeerMage
Member since 2009 • 267 Posts

Apparently, it runs like crap on nvidia cards...

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/03/05/nvidia_gpu_performance_issues_in_new_tomb_raider

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#99 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Surprised there doesn't seem to be a new AMD beta driver update specifically to address Tomb Raider, considering the TressFX hubbub.  The last one seems to address performance mainly for Crysis 3.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#100 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Apparently, it runs like crap on nvidia cards...

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/03/05/nvidia_gpu_performance_issues_in_new_tomb_raider

BeerMage

Yea I'm experiencing some pretty serious issues with crashing. Man, when RAGE came out I had a AMD card and it caused all kinds of problems, so I went with Nvidia for my next upgrade and now Tomb Raider has Nvidia specific problems. 

The game runs fine WHEN IT RUNS but so far that is a pretty rare occurance.Â