Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TTLockerroom
Member since 2017 • 21 Posts

Hi all,

Im a console gamer which wants to get into pc gaming. I have put together a rig recently and am now looking to yet a monitor to match my rig. I have a GTX 1080 8GB Gddr5x. I was wondering which type of panel would give me the best picture quality?

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#2 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Definitely not TN. IPS vs. VA could go either way, depending on which panels you're comparing. For a 1080 you should be looking at 2560x1440, 3440x1440, or 3840x2160 monitors. You should also consider >60Hz refresh rates and G-Sync.

TTLockerroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TTLockerroom

@scoots9: I have looked at the BenQ 1440p TN, Asus rog swift pg279q, acer x34, asus pg348q and Samsung cf791. I only care about picture quality. I don't know whether to go va or ips.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ttlockerroom: IPS

TTLockerroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TTLockerroom

Thank you both, I think everyone seems to say ips is the best. Might go with the asus ips then

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

ips or ah-ips

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

@ttlockerroom: I've been looking at the MG279Q, the AMD Freesync version of the PG279Q, and it supposedly has a ton of quality control problems (dead pixels, excessive backlight bleed, etc.), so you might want to stay away from that one. Not sure if Asus' QC is better on the ultrawide. The Samsung is Freesync, so you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it with your Nvidia GPU, although, unlike G-Sync, Freesync doesn't really add anything to the price so it's not the end of the world.

From a pure image quality standpoint, disregarding adaptive sync and high refresh rates, Dell UltraSharp monitors are really nice.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

VA might give a better picture quality depending on what you prefer. VA's blacks get very dark, a lot darker than IPS or TN. Viewing angles are not as good as IPS, color accuracy isn't generally quite as good, and they tend to ghost a lot in dark grays.

I'd go with IPS to stay on the safe side. I wouldn't get a TN panel.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Having owned all 3 varieties, my opinion is to stay away from TN panels and go with either an IPS or VA display. Between IPS and VA, that can come down to personal preference as both displays are pretty much neck and neck as far as image quality goes. I think my VA panel looks much better in a darker room as the blacks just seem deeper while my IPS monitor seems to pop a bit more in bright daylight. My primary monitor used to be an IPS Predator XB271HU. It's a G-Sync 2560x1440p, 165hz monitor and is absolutely amazing for gaming. But I really missed having an ultrawide monitor so I recently went with a VA Predator Z35P. It's also a G-Sync monitor with but with a 3440x1440p, 120hz screen. I was worried at first about changing monitors as I wasn't all that familiar with VA panels but I couldn't be happier with my choice. Aside from the IPS seeming a bit brighter to my eyes, again, image quality is just about the same between them. All that said, I'd still say IPS first, VA second, and never again to a TN panel. =D

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

Have never touched TN, i've always preferred the look of IPS (good colors and viewing angle).

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

TN if you want ZERO input lag. IPS or VA for pretty much everything else

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

TN if you want ZERO input lag. IPS or VA for pretty much everything else

Input lag will depend on the monitor's circuitry not so much on the display. There are IPS panels with the same input lag as the fastest TN displays. What is different is the pixel response, but at this point it's so minor (I can't tell) on the 165 hz IPS displays that the only reason to go with a TN panel is to save money.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_: Thats badass I had no idea