Thoughts on Hitman being developed by Square Enix?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

What does everyone think about the next Hitman game being developed by Square instead of IO?

The whole 'fresh perspective' quote worries me - how about just perfecting the formula of the old games with this new interface?

http://au.gamespot.com/news/next-hitman-game-to-be-developed-by-square-enix-montreal-report-6400523

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#2 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

The title makes it seem like it's being handed over to Square-Enix--as in, the people that develop the core Final Fantasy games. That'd be lol-worthy if it was.

Pretty sure this Square-Enix Montreal was that expansion studio to Eidos Montreal that happened shortly after Square-Enix and Eidos Montreal hit big with Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I have no idea what this means. Square Enix spin means what? Could be good or bad, is it a side story or more of 47? I don't really think annualisation of a franchise does anything but hurt it in the long run.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Eidos Interactive, IO Interactive, Square Enix, Eidos Montreal. These names are all tied when it comes to the games: Hitman: Blood Money >>> Absolution. Which team developed Absolution? Same people? Combination of different devs into a new team? If the same people that made Deus Ex HR will be making the next Hitman, I would totally love that. But like Nutcracker, I wouldn't want Square Enix popping out Hitman games on an annual basis.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Aren't they the same people who made Just Cause 2?

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

If it's montreal it looks like its the people who are making thief 4 but they are also advertising for game designers so might be new people. I think square enix london did JC2.

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

Nope not london avalance studios Stolkholm Sweden.

I never knew square enix was so big. Must of made lots of money off final fantasy.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
Well seeing as my Hitman is unplayable ATM becuase of fps issues, it's not off to a good start :(
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Well seeing as my Hitman is unplayable ATM becuase of fps issues, it's not off to a good start :(mep69

How come? The game runs fine.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Have not played any Hitman game before but I will be getting Absolution sometime. I honestly expect it to be better than DE:HR, at least for me. Looks like more my style of Stealth game, though DE is pretty good.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="mep69"]Well seeing as my Hitman is unplayable ATM becuase of fps issues, it's not off to a good start :(Postmortem123

Game runs great for me to, maybe he needs new drivers. The latest nvidia gpu beta driver helped.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

[QUOTE="mep69"]Well seeing as my Hitman is unplayable ATM becuase of fps issues, it's not off to a good start :(kozzy1234

Game runs great for me to, maybe he needs new drivers. The latest nvidia gpu beta driver helped.

How will my GTX670 run it? I love to max things :)

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

NaveedLife

how do you think
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Novotine

how do you think

Umm...probably great, but I am not sure, that is why I am asking. I run most every game great, including BF3 and Crysis Warhead. BUT some games are very difficult to run maxed or at good framerates. Arkham City is one of those games.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
They need to listen to the criticism on their forums. Many diehard Hitman fans, myself included, think that Absolution completely went in the wrong direction with level design and the inability to customize weapon load outs. However, I also think that the graphics, sound and atmosphere are DAMN impressive, and definitely a step in the right direction. Ultimately, I'm hoping that they follow the game design of Blood Money, with the graphics and presentation of Absolution.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mep69

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

[QUOTE="mep69"]Well seeing as my Hitman is unplayable ATM becuase of fps issues, it's not off to a good start :(kozzy1234

I have the latest :( i go down to 40 / 20 fps. It's really annyoing..... Maybe i'll download the divers again with a fresh install.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

If the developer is talented enough, they can get away with sameness for a very long time. Unfortunately IO Interactive is simply not one of those companies and Absolution, while a good game, is showing the stale signs that a new direction is indeed needed. It will be interesting to see what Square Enix can do.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elann2008

If the developer is talented enough, they can get away with sameness for a very long time. Unfortunately IO Interactive is simply not one of those companies and Absolution, while a good game, is showing the stale signs that a new direction is indeed needed. It will be interesting to see what Square Enix can do.

Starshine_M2A2
Well, the new direction is already in Absolution. Hitman + Splinter Cell Conviction gameplay. The only thing I could see happening is it going back to Blood Money roots, or something different altogether which I have no clue what it could be. Something with RPG elements like Deus Ex HR? That could be good. Who knows. But after so many HItman games, something needs to be done in a new and fresh way. So I definitely do agree with you on that.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Elann2008
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

mep69

I have the latest :( i go down to 40 / 20 fps. It's really annyoing..... Maybe i'll download the divers again with a fresh install.

I am using the latest drivers as well and it dips in the 40's. All settings maxed except SSAO (normal). Maybe I'm paying too much attention to Fraps/MSI afterburner fps counter, but that's not the reason why I have one of them on. I use them to take screenshots. Other than that, I have no clue why it's not 60fps consistently. There are critic reviews that point out how unoptimized this game is on different game systems. That is likely the case with ours.
Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

gtx 670 with the latest nvidia drive, the beta one ran HITMAN AWESOMELY ! Beautiful graphics and Smooth FPS except one level in a building, I got noticable fps drops for 1 minute. Other than that, everything was smooth and beautiful

supertrooper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 supertrooper23
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
so the new development studio has people who developed deus ex human revolution? if so then i am not one bit worried about this. in fact i would consider it a good thing. deus ex human revolution was a great game.
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Now, when the article says Square Enix Montreal, do they mean Eidos montreal? If so, I have no problem with it as they've proven themselves with Deus Ex.

Square enix, however, has been doing fine as a publisher so far with how they've been treating the dev companies....Deus Ex Human Revolution is great, Hitman turned out okay (could have been better, but it could have been worse as well)...Hopefully Tomb Raider will be decent and Thief 4 amazing.

All they need to do now is announce the revival of the Legacy of Kain series...and all will be right again. :P

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="mep69"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Elann2008

I am using the latest drivers as well and it dips in the 40's. All settings maxed except SSAO (normal). Maybe I'm paying too much attention to Fraps/MSI afterburner fps counter, but that's not the reason why I have one of them on. I use them to take screenshots. Other than that, I have no clue why it's not 60fps consistently. There are critic reviews that point out how unoptimized this game is on different game systems. That is likely the case with ours.

I notcied my GTX 570 performs pretty close to my GTX 680 in this game...

With maxed settings and 4xAA the benchmark runs on average at 34-35 fps.

Even with 2xaa my GTX 680 was only getting around 47fps.....I forget what it got with 4xAA on the benchmark.

With no MSAA the GTX 680 never drops below 60fps though.

Seems like the MSAA method is a bit demanding.

I do notice the game being pretty CPU heavy compared to the majority of games.

I am also using the latest beta drivers.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elann2008

^ I don't know why this time it was any different than when I booted up the game before.. but I turned off Global Illumination again, and my framerate shot up to 57-60fps, still dipping into the upper 40's on few occasions but mainly 60fps.

My settings:

1920x1200
SSAO - High
GI - turned off
MSAA - 4xAA
Tesselation ON
Anisotropic 16x
Reflections - High
Vsync - ON
Level of Detail - Ultra
Depth of Field - High
Shadow Quality - High
Texture Quality - High

It's weird, but it's running better now.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mep69
[QUOTE="mep69"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Elann2008

ye i turned my Nvidia settings off and it runs better, but evey now and then the fps drops from 120 fps to 1 fps and pauses for like 1 min. Really annoying.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="mep69"] I have the latest :( i go down to 40 / 20 fps. It's really annyoing..... Maybe i'll download the divers again with a fresh install.RyviusARC

I notcied my GTX 570 performs pretty close to my GTX 680 in this game...

With maxed settings and 4xAA the benchmark runs on average at 34-35 fps.

Even with 2xaa my GTX 680 was only getting around 47fps.....I forget what it got with 4xAA on the benchmark.

With no MSAA the GTX 680 never drops below 60fps though.

Seems like the MSAA method is a bit demanding.

I do notice the game being pretty CPU heavy compared to the majority of games.

I am also using the latest beta drivers.

Yup. Global Illumination is a major hitter though. Try turning that off if you want better performance.