This is why S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is one of the greatest games ever made.

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deathykins
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts

This settles it. I have never felt as immersed in any game before as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has now managed to make me feel. Honestly, how could any game ever out do this? The following is rather long, but it is an experience I just had in Shadow of Chernobyl, and perfectly explains why it is such an immersive game.

(Also, I had the Complete 2009 mod with the realistic weapon extension.)

I am walking down a path, hills and abandoned trailers on each side of me. All is quiet, and I hear those tiny little beeps that let me know other S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s are near by. Instinctively, I run up the hill to my left and take partial cover behind a nearby bolder. Ahead of me, down on the path, I see a group of opposing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s posted up. They're in my way. This is the only way to reach my destination. I know I have to kill them.

I scope in on the enemy in the middle. Immediately, my three options rush through my mind:

A. I can put my scope on single shot, and aim for a head shot. But, what if my bullet goes off course and misses? I'll have missed my chance to take one of them out without alerting the others.

B. I can aim at his upper body and release a few small bursts, almost insuring his death. But he has armor on. What if only a bullet or two hits and my gun jams? I'll have wasted ammo and again, given away my position.

C. I can switch to my grenade launcher and take them all out. This is surely the most effective way to take care of them, and will get me out of this unharmed, right? But. . .I only have three grenades. What if I get into a tight situation later and need that final wasted shot?

In the end, I decide to take what I believe to be the best option with the least cons. Option B. I scope in on his stomach, and time slows down as I release two small burts. One bullet hits his stomach, one hits his shoulder, and another hits his head. The time flow returns to normal as his allies scatter to either side of him, and bullets begin to fly. I scope in again, and do the same to another enemy on his right. He drops.

Sounds become distant. My vision becomes blurry. I realise I have been hit by a sniper, and am quickly bleeding out. I'm almost dead. "I'm going to die." I think. I turn around and run for better cover as bullets fly by and hit the ground around me. My screen is wobbly and my health is nearly gone. I get behind cover, and as quickly as I can, I stop the bleeding.

I run down the hill and cross the path to the other side. I quickly make my way around to flank their sniper. I see him. I scope in, and quickly take him out from cover, from an unknown position. The others didn't see me cross. My gun is silenced, so they're still looking to where I was last.

I run around behind them. Behind a trailer for cover. I lean out, directly behind them. I've done it. I have the perfect flank. I squeeze my trigger, but, only two bullets release before my gun jams. In this split second after those shots release, and they realized I was behind them, I knew I had to make a choice.

Pray that my reload speed is faster than they are, switch to my pistol, run, or die.

I switch to my .45, and pop a bullet into the closest ones head before he can turn around. I go back behind cover and reload my assault rifle before running out. After reloading, I run out, strafing to the other side of the road while firing. They all drop.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Cool Story Bro... You made me install Stalker again. Clear Sky it is.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER!

Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deathykins

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER!

XaosII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPltbD-4QA

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

You sir get kudos from me...:)

Tomorrow morning when i come from work...STALKER is the game i will play...I would play now but iam too tired and my eyes are in my mouth :D

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Does the Complete Mod make Clear Sky better or something? Does it add performance ?
Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deathykins

I'm glad to hear some people enjoyed that. :P

Does the Complete Mod make Clear Sky better or something? Does it add performance ? GeneralShowzer

The complete mod does quite a lot. Go to this link, it tells all of it's features: http://www.moddb.com/mods/clear-sky-complete

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
i really have to obligate myself to play stalker, it's sometimes cool but it can't touch games like mass effect, oblivion, dead space, bioshock & crysis.
Avatar image for Majd_Abdulqadir
Majd_Abdulqadir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Majd_Abdulqadir
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts

Thank you for the great story.

This is why STALKER is on my top-PC-games-ever list. There's nothing like it, and you can only understand how immersive it is if you play it alone without disturbance and with full volume. This isn't Metro33, this isn't COD or HL, this game is unique, and I can't wait for the sequel.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

i really have to obligate myself to play stalker, it's sometimes cool but it can't touch games like mass effect, oblivion, dead space, bioshock & crysis.evildead6789
For me STALKER is WAY above all of those games. It may be my favorite game of all time.

Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deathykins

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]i really have to obligate myself to play stalker, it's sometimes cool but it can't touch games like mass effect, oblivion, dead space, bioshock & crysis.SF_KiLLaMaN
lol. For me STALKER is WAY above all of those games.

Same here. I've always enjoyed it much more than any of those.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I have played a few hours of SoC and I just cannot really get into the game. I imagine it gets much better, but its really hard to want to play to get to that part lol.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SF_KiLLaMaN

I have played a few hours of SoC and I just cannot really get into the game. I imagine it gets much better, but its really hard to want to play to get to that part lol.

NaveedLife
I can understand how people may not like it. it is not your typical FPS.
TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts

Thank you for the great story.

This is why STALKER is on my top-PC-games-ever list. There's nothing like it, and you can only understand how immersive it is if you play it alone without disturbance and with full volume. This isn't Metro33, this isn't COD or HL, this game is unique, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Majd_Abdulqadir
IMO stalker kicks the crap out of those scripted games. stalker doesnt have the polish to appeal to the masses but it will give back to you what you put into it.
Avatar image for Majd_Abdulqadir
Majd_Abdulqadir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Majd_Abdulqadir
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

SF_KiLLaMaN
I can understand how people may not like it. it is not your typical FPS.

Yeah, it's got awesome combat, but I wouldn't call it an FPS... or an RPG even if it's got those elements too. The best part about STALKER in my opinion is the "survival" part. Basically, you're wandering dangerous terrain and trying to make a living out of it. Maybe the developers can focus on that part of the game in the sequels, putting in more environmental hazards ( anomalies and beasts ), evolve the wounds mechanic ( bandages and first aid tools ), more random encounters with other stalkers, maybe an ambush system ( laying traps for army patrols, or bait for beast ). I also liked how you had to eat to stay alive.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#16 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Stalker SoC is easily in my top 10 games of all time. I think i've played through it three times.

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Which S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game were you playing TC?

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

Adding IMO at the end of sentences like these are always safe!!! :P

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Does the Complete Mod make Clear Sky better or something? Does it add performance ? GeneralShowzer
the complete mod makes clear sky playable. Without it , most would consider a lot of it pretty broken.
Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Deathykins

Which S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game were you playing TC?

Lox_Cropek

Shadow of Chernobyl.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
In the sequel his game crashes.
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Does the Complete Mod make Clear Sky better or something? Does it add performance ? bonafidetk
the complete mod makes clear sky playable. Without it , most would consider a lot of it pretty broken.

Ya they got a little sloppy with clear sky. I'm currently playing through COP again with the complete mod.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]i really have to obligate myself to play stalker, it's sometimes cool but it can't touch games like mass effect, oblivion, dead space, bioshock & crysis.SF_KiLLaMaN

For me STALKER is WAY above all of those games. It may be my favorite game of all time.

Its certainly and easily one of my Favs. SOme of the experiences i have had on the 3 Stalker games! Actually i can remember a particular experience from each one.
coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts

Too bad Call of Pripyat is broken. The loading times are insane and the game crashes/hangs way too much. I'm using it with the latest patch and the complete mod. But yeah, STALKER is amazing.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nick3306

Too bad Call of Pripyat is broken. The loading times are insane and the game crashes/hangs way too much. I'm using it with the latest patch and the complete mod. But yeah, STALKER is amazing.

coolmonkeykid
Really? From my experience it is the most playable STALKER game out, especially with the complete mod.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 commander
i can't understand the stalker hype, i mean some things are cool but i mean, enemies spawn sometimes back on the same place. There is no real interaction with the environment, you have your suit and some guns yes but there's nothing really that compells with stalker. The game doesn't suck me in like mass effect does. The story isn't really interesting and the characters neither. Gunbattles aren't spectacular I must say , i really , really can't understand why you would prefer stalker above crysis or mass effect. I know it's not your typical fps, you could compare it a little with borderlands only borderlands is ten times better. Even with the complete mod the graphics don't look really artistic and from a technical point it's almost previous gen. I'm stalker number one now and i just finished that laboratary part with all those zombified stalkers. Well maybe i will continue to play because i hate it to leave a game unfinished but it's kinda like the same deal with singularity, i just gave up suddenly because it get's boring. The difference is with singularity that singularity wasn't really boring in the beginning and stalker was in a lot of moments boring, some moments not but still... pretty boring game stalker
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nick3306
[QUOTE="evildead6789"]i can't understand the stalker hype, i mean some things are cool but i mean, enemies spawn sometimes back on the same place. There is no real interaction with the environment, you have your suit and some guns yes but there's nothing really that compells with stalker. The game doesn't suck me in like mass effect does. The story isn't really interesting and the characters neither. Gunbattles aren't spectacular I must say , i really , really can't understand why you would prefer stalker above crysis or mass effect. I know it's not your typical fps, you could compare it a little with borderlands only borderlands is ten times better. Even with the complete mod the graphics don't look really artistic and from a technical point it's almost previous gen. I'm stalker number one now and i just finished that laboratary part with all those zombified stalkers. Well maybe i will continue to play because i hate it to leave a game unfinished but it's kinda like the same deal with singularity, i just gave up suddenly because it get's boring. The difference is with singularity that singularity wasn't really boring in the beginning and stalker was in a lot of moments boring, some moments not but still... pretty boring game stalker

Hey, not every game can be a linear and scripted actionfest. The only part of any stalker game i found boring was the beginning of clear sky. As for the story, its the most interesting story i have ever seen in a game, the fact that it doesnt force feed you the facts and lets you find out about the zone on your own its very exciting.
Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deathykins

i can't understand the stalker hype, i mean some things are cool but i mean, enemies spawn sometimes back on the same place. There is no real interaction with the environment, you have your suit and some guns yes but there's nothing really that compells with stalker. The game doesn't suck me in like mass effect does. The story isn't really interesting and the characters neither. Gunbattles aren't spectacular I must say , i really , really can't understand why you would prefer stalker above crysis or mass effect. I know it's not your typical fps, you could compare it a little with borderlands only borderlands is ten times better. Even with the complete mod the graphics don't look really artistic and from a technical point it's almost previous gen. I'm stalker number one now and i just finished that laboratary part with all those zombified stalkers. Well maybe i will continue to play because i hate it to leave a game unfinished but it's kinda like the same deal with singularity, i just gave up suddenly because it get's boring. The difference is with singularity that singularity wasn't really boring in the beginning and stalker was in a lot of moments boring, some moments not but still... pretty boring game stalkerevildead6789

It's because S.T.A.L.K.E.R. beats them in immersion, atmosphere, and realism (at least with the Complete 2009 mod.) Sure, the game is still rather far from realistic, but in terms of the take on the post apocalyptic sub-genre, it definitely wins. Plus, many of us really like the story. It really does have a great story. It just doesn't have the constant flow of story telling that the games you listed have. It instead leaves many things a mystery, and wants that to be the drive for players to continue on.

There is really no point in this though, because this is all personal preference. You prefer thoses games to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and we prefer S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to those games. Neither thing either side says is going to make that make any more sense to each other because of our own personal preferences.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 commander

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]i can't understand the stalker hype, i mean some things are cool but i mean, enemies spawn sometimes back on the same place. There is no real interaction with the environment, you have your suit and some guns yes but there's nothing really that compells with stalker. The game doesn't suck me in like mass effect does. The story isn't really interesting and the characters neither. Gunbattles aren't spectacular I must say , i really , really can't understand why you would prefer stalker above crysis or mass effect. I know it's not your typical fps, you could compare it a little with borderlands only borderlands is ten times better. Even with the complete mod the graphics don't look really artistic and from a technical point it's almost previous gen. I'm stalker number one now and i just finished that laboratary part with all those zombified stalkers. Well maybe i will continue to play because i hate it to leave a game unfinished but it's kinda like the same deal with singularity, i just gave up suddenly because it get's boring. The difference is with singularity that singularity wasn't really boring in the beginning and stalker was in a lot of moments boring, some moments not but still... pretty boring game stalkerNick3306
Hey, not every game can be a linear and scripted actionfest. The only part of any stalker game i found boring was the beginning of clear sky. As for the story, its the most interesting story i have ever seen in a game, the fact that it doesnt force feed you the facts and lets you find out about the zone on your own its very exciting.

I wouldn't call borderlands or crysis or oblivion scripted, these are open world games too

Even fallout could join this battle allthough the vat system makes it a little more rpg than fps

Mass effect is less open world , allthough the planets are somewhat open world.

bioshock is more of a corridor shooter so it's hard to compare that

But as far as open world goes, i prefer crysis, borderlands and oblivion a lot more than stalker

I can see your point though , there aren't many openworld games and if you really like that like i do , then stalker can be very welcome but still open world or not i can't help to find this game kinda boring.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SF_KiLLaMaN

[QUOTE="Nick3306"][QUOTE="evildead6789"]i can't understand the stalker hype, i mean some things are cool but i mean, enemies spawn sometimes back on the same place. There is no real interaction with the environment, you have your suit and some guns yes but there's nothing really that compells with stalker. The game doesn't suck me in like mass effect does. The story isn't really interesting and the characters neither. Gunbattles aren't spectacular I must say , i really , really can't understand why you would prefer stalker above crysis or mass effect. I know it's not your typical fps, you could compare it a little with borderlands only borderlands is ten times better. Even with the complete mod the graphics don't look really artistic and from a technical point it's almost previous gen. I'm stalker number one now and i just finished that laboratary part with all those zombified stalkers. Well maybe i will continue to play because i hate it to leave a game unfinished but it's kinda like the same deal with singularity, i just gave up suddenly because it get's boring. The difference is with singularity that singularity wasn't really boring in the beginning and stalker was in a lot of moments boring, some moments not but still... pretty boring game stalkerevildead6789

I wouldn't call borderlands or crysis or oblivion scripted, these are open world games too

Even fallout could join this battle allthough the vat system makes it a little more rpg than fps

But as far as open world goes, i prefer crysis, borderlands and oblivion a lot more than stalker

I can see your point though , there aren't many openworld games and if you really like that like i do , then stalker can be very welcome but still open world or not i can't help to find this game kinda boring.

I would hardly call Crysis an open world game. Sure it has huge areas, but how often did you actually travel off the path to the next objective? Even if you did, you hardly run into anything worthy of your time spent away from the objectives. There is so much to explore in stalker. But like I said earlier, I can easily understand how someone could not like STALKER. It is not your average FPS and really is a love it or hate it kind of game.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nick3306

[QUOTE="Nick3306"][QUOTE="evildead6789"]i can't understand the stalker hype, i mean some things are cool but i mean, enemies spawn sometimes back on the same place. There is no real interaction with the environment, you have your suit and some guns yes but there's nothing really that compells with stalker. The game doesn't suck me in like mass effect does. The story isn't really interesting and the characters neither. Gunbattles aren't spectacular I must say , i really , really can't understand why you would prefer stalker above crysis or mass effect. I know it's not your typical fps, you could compare it a little with borderlands only borderlands is ten times better. Even with the complete mod the graphics don't look really artistic and from a technical point it's almost previous gen. I'm stalker number one now and i just finished that laboratary part with all those zombified stalkers. Well maybe i will continue to play because i hate it to leave a game unfinished but it's kinda like the same deal with singularity, i just gave up suddenly because it get's boring. The difference is with singularity that singularity wasn't really boring in the beginning and stalker was in a lot of moments boring, some moments not but still... pretty boring game stalkerevildead6789

Crysis is barely open world, its easily the most linear open world game if you know what I mean. But i can see your point.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]

[QUOTE="Nick3306"]Hey, not every game can be a linear and scripted actionfest. The only part of any stalker game i found boring was the beginning of clear sky. As for the story, its the most interesting story i have ever seen in a game, the fact that it doesnt force feed you the facts and lets you find out about the zone on your own its very exciting.SF_KiLLaMaN

I would hardly call Crysis an open world game. Sure it has huge areas, but how often did you actually travel off the path to the next objective? Even if you did, you hardly run into anything worthy of your time spent away from the objectives. There is so much to explore in stalker. But like I said earlier, I can easily understand how someone could not like STALKER. It is not your average FPS and really is a love it or hate it kind of game.

Well that's because stalker is in many ways an rpg , crysis is a first person shooter and i don't hate this game i just think some people overrate it , borderlands is a game that has most similarities with stalker and i think it's a zillion times better.

Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deathykins

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]

evildead6789

Well that's because stalker is in many ways an rpg , crysis is a first person shooter and i don't hate this game i just think some people overrate it , borderlands is a game that has most similarities with stalker and i think it's a zillion times better.

This is why I said it's simply different preferences. I don't think Borderlands is even remotely similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. other than it being an open world FPS/RPG. I think the only even remotely similar game would be Fallout 3/NV without using VATs, and even that is a stretch to compare it. I also got bored of Borderlands before even getting half way through the game.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Great post!

I tried the link stalker clear sky complete mod, its like huge improvement on the orginal clear sky graphics, although I was very far into game I'm starting over :D

will post screenies a later date.

Bros89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bros89
Member since 2004 • 624 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]

evildead6789

Yeah, I think people who really like STALKER like it most because of the atmosphere.
I think its the most immersive game from the last 5 years (Fallout came close but STALKER wins).
But I didn't like it either for the first 50 minutes of the game, but after a while it really sucked me in, its an intense game :)

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

I got to say the guy comparing Borderland to Stalker its not really a comparison. They are so different i am not entirely sure how you get the same feel from them? Anyhow regardless maybe the atmosphere has not sucked you in like it did for myself.

I also like the survival element of Stalker and the unexpected always around the corner. Great game scary as hell sometimes as well! Red Forest almost caused me to fall out of my chair when getting Stalked by a Blood Sucker and i mean STALKED damn thing didnt engage me it moved around my per phial vision circling me then attacked minutes later! Probably one of the single most scary moment in a video game ever i was 25 at the time as well lol!

Love the game another time i remember is on the latest where i was out to hunt a mutant! I waited for the thing from morning until night! Through Rain and shine i watched denizens of the Zone about there business from a high Perch seemingly safe to pop this mutant in the head when it emerged. 2 Controllers ("Nasty things") Walked past at one point i allowed them to go not wanting to give away my position! Packs of Dogs went past hunting other animals. A few Stalkers also walked underneath my perch going about there business looking for artifacts or what ever!

Then it rained and it rained HARD major storm visibility approaching zero then the darkness came! At this point i knew this thing was close by it was getting to the point where it either showed up or i got down and tried again after another mission or 2. Scanning the area with my Binoculars i pick up on a VERY fast moving creature in the distance! Then its gone disappearing behind a building i am perched next 2. I continue scanning and watch a pack of dogs once again pass by in the vicinity.

Seeing no immediate danger i actually get off my perch and descend the ladder in the driving rain and darkness and go in the direction i last spotted that fast moving object / i assumed creature. At this point in the game i had some weak night vision so i was not completely blind and being a bit of a purest for some reason i never upgrade pass the grainy green night vision. Anyhow approaching the side of this building not being able to see much of anything due to the rain and Lightening i turn the corner! Nothing! Its not here!

Cursing and worrying that the heavy traffic in this area will get the better of me i run back to my perch quickly to climb to safety! Back at last i pan the area. once again fast moving object this time confirmed as a creature of what appeared large dog size! Once again it returned to its spot behind the building below me! This time i thought i will have you! Climbing down the ladder still in the rain i hit the ground and silently approach the area eventually deactivating Night Vision to prevent noise!

Not fooling for the whole IM GONNA leap out of the corner i take a wide berth of the building ("tho not to wide lest i attract something else") Nothing! Then a glimpse its gone the other side! so i approach i can hear its breathing fast breathing! Thats when i checked behind me! It leaped at me and almost killed me instantly not only causing a minor heart condition but almost breaking my Mouse in shock! Tho its not long before i am back to it and i never took my hand off the keyboard back peddling like a Mo Fo! I open fire full Auto ("Rare for me unless i am fighting Mutants i much prefer single shot"), This thing flinches away and i peg it for my perch!

Of course! It dosent follow and once again i have to hunt it! So much for shooting it from safety! I killed it after some more Stalking! Not once did i save until the thing lay dead!

Many Many great fire fights desperate ones at that as well! Having a gaggle of Mercs chase me around a building site after i attempt to locate then pick them all off one by one silently from VERY long range, outskirts of the facility they are protecting. I wind up in a HUGE firefight not in the way that guns were blazing but more to the point i was being flanked and to be honest almost outmaneuvered by AI which may i add was a bit galling at 1st. I remember at least 5 of them approaching from the left and i mean i was pretty far away i actually had time to witness them ducking in and out of cover and racing around the facility to my position but i ignored them and concentrated on the guys in front who much to my amusement had stayed to either pin me down or just have some Pot shots at extreme range!

Most of them died before the nade from the 3 or 4 guys flanking to the right landed next to me! That was a pretty freaky fight to be honest for some reason the game seemed to go super AI mode on my poor arse. Oh i legged it from the Nade but took heavy damage. I knew they were on me so i headed to the now I HOPED empty facility they were all protecting. Luckily i had killed all the guys remaining behind and knowing that the 2 Squads would be heading back here in seconds i took up position and killed them all. Oh not before having to run away again tho due to more deadly nade throws which killed me more than anything else in that game! MEGA NADE MADE TO HOME IN ON YOUR HEAD! That made me rage sometimes. Tho good in the way you had to use your head when engaging and changing position.

More Sotries i want to hear more expereinces from people like TC told us.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SF_KiLLaMaN

Nothing like moving within a zone only to be jumped by 4 snorks right when you arrive. The funny thing is that I was heading back to the STALKER camp on the Skadovsk, so I though I was home free. That was just today too. There are literally too many crazy moments in STALKER games for me to recount them all. Entering the X8 lab in pripyat is one of the creepier moments I have had in gaming. It is especially creepy if you play it with the lights off and headphones on full blast.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts

That atmosphere of that game is beaten by none. The story isn't very interesting, neither are the side quests but the ability to explore everything and become the most powerful STALKER is the funnest part of that game to me.

One of the most ridiculous parts of SoC are the Controllers. Whenever I encounter one I just run. It's the only enemy that never fails to make me run.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nick3306

That atmosphere of that game is beaten by none. The story isn't very interesting, neither are the side quests but the ability to explore everything and become the most powerful STALKER is the funnest part of that game to me.

One of the most ridiculous parts of SoC are the Controllers. Whenever I encounter one I just run. It's the only enemy that never fails to make me run.

PS2_ROCKS
Man you gotta get up in there with the shotgun.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I have yet to play Stalker. Every time I go to buy a game, i have others I would rather have and always end up not getting Stalker.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

This settles it. I have never felt as immersed in any game before as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has now managed to make me feel. Honestly, how could any game ever out do this? The following is rather long, but it is an experience I just had in Shadow of Chernobyl, and perfectly explains why it is such an immersive game.

(Also, I had the Complete 2009 mod with the realistic weapon extension.)

I am walking down a path, hills and abandoned trailers on each side of me. All is quiet, and I hear those tiny little beeps that let me know other S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s are near by. Instinctively, I run up the hill to my left and take partial cover behind a nearby bolder. Ahead of me, down on the path, I see a group of opposing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s posted up. They're in my way. This is the only way to reach my destination. I know I have to kill them.

I scope in on the enemy in the middle. Immediately, my three options rush through my mind:

A. I can put my scope on single shot, and aim for a head shot. But, what if my bullet goes off course and misses? I'll have missed my chance to take one of them out without alerting the others.

B. I can aim at his upper body and release a few small bursts, almost insuring his death. But he has armor on. What if only a bullet or two hits and my gun jams? I'll have wasted ammo and again, given away my position.

C. I can switch to my grenade launcher and take them all out. This is surely the most effective way to take care of them, and will get me out of this unharmed, right? But. . .I only have three grenades. What if I get into a tight situation later and need that final wasted shot?

In the end, I decide to take what I believe to be the best option with the least cons. Option B. I scope in on his stomach, and time slows down as I release two small burts. One bullet hits his stomach, one hits his shoulder, and another hits his head. The time flow returns to normal as his allies scatter to either side of him, and bullets begin to fly. I scope in again, and do the same to another enemy on his right. He drops.

Sounds become distant. My vision becomes blurry. I realise I have been hit by a sniper, and am quickly bleeding out. I'm almost dead. "I'm going to die." I think. I turn around and run for better cover as bullets fly by and hit the ground around me. My screen is wobbly and my health is nearly gone. I get behind cover, and as quickly as I can, I stop the bleeding.

I run down the hill and cross the path to the other side. I quickly make my way around to flank their sniper. I see him. I scope in, and quickly take him out from cover, from an unknown position. The others didn't see me cross. My gun is silenced, so they're still looking to where I was last.

I run around behind them. Behind a trailer for cover. I lean out, directly behind them. I've done it. I have the perfect flank. I squeeze my trigger, but, only two bullets release before my gun jams. In this split second after those shots release, and they realized I was behind them, I knew I had to make a choice.

Pray that my reload speed is faster than they are, switch to my pistol, run, or die.

I switch to my .45, and pop a bullet into the closest ones head before he can turn around. I go back behind cover and reload my assault rifle before running out. After reloading, I run out, strafing to the other side of the road while firing. They all drop.

Deathykins

that sounded awesome. Stalker is a one of a kind game and definately one of the best FPS of all time.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]

Nick3306

That would probably be the worst thing to do against a controller....
Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Deathykins

[QUOTE="Nick3306"][QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

It sounds safer than my tactic. I usually use cover to sneak to them, and only move when their back is turned. Once I get in close enough, I rush in with my knife. It works fairly well, but, the shotgun is likely the safer way to do it :P

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SF_KiLLaMaN

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="Nick3306"]Man you gotta get up in there with the shotgun.Deathykins

It sounds safer than my tactic. I usually use cover to sneak to them, and only move when their back is turned. Once I get in close enough, I rush in with my knife. It works fairly well, but, the shotgun is likely the safer way to do it :P

Well I guess if you sneak up on it with the shotgun, but just straight charging it would be disastrous.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

coolmonkeykid
Huh? Never had any of these problems.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I'd play stalker if the combat actually entertained me. The environments were cool, but the combat was the worst ive ever seen. Still, I loved for example, seeing a group of guys singing and playing guitar by a tree in the sunset.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I love STALKER, cant play Pripyat though, it always chugged like mad with random pauses throughout the gameplay, that and the insane load times, really wish I never bought it. I love the original STLKER though, I played it since its first release day and loved it from the moment I istalled it, played with Complete all the way through later on aswell and it makes it even better. Def one of my favourite games of all time no doubt.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SF_KiLLaMaN
I love STALKER, cant play Pripyat though, it always chugged like mad with random pauses throughout the gameplay, that and the insane load times, really wish I never bought it. I love the original STLKER though, I played it since its first release day and loved it from the moment I istalled it, played with Complete all the way through later on aswell and it makes it even better. Def one of my favourite games of all time no doubt.V4LENT1NE
You're missing out then. I like Call of Pripyat better than Shadow of Chernobyl. I don't know the the problem could be, because I have much weaker hardware and I am able to almost max Call of Pripyat out in DX10. The load times aren't that bad for me.
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nick3306
What other game gives you this feeling? (NOTE: Screenshots appear static-like because this area is full of radiation and u need psy protection) Yantov is easily the creepiest area, bodies everywhere.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

i can't understand the stalker hype, i mean some things are cool but i mean, enemies spawn sometimes back on the same place. There is no real interaction with the environment, you have your suit and some guns yes but there's nothing really that compells with stalker. The game doesn't suck me in like mass effect does. The story isn't really interesting and the characters neither. Gunbattles aren't spectacular I must say , i really , really can't understand why you would prefer stalker above crysis or mass effect. I know it's not your typical fps, you could compare it a little with borderlands only borderlands is ten times better. Even with the complete mod the graphics don't look really artistic and from a technical point it's almost previous gen. I'm stalker number one now and i just finished that laboratary part with all those zombified stalkers. Well maybe i will continue to play because i hate it to leave a game unfinished but it's kinda like the same deal with singularity, i just gave up suddenly because it get's boring. The difference is with singularity that singularity wasn't really boring in the beginning and stalker was in a lot of moments boring, some moments not but still... pretty boring game stalkerevildead6789

Fair enough. Not everyone is going to like it. Personally, I completely agree with TC and all the other users praising the STALKER series and in particular SOC as some of the best shooters in a long time. I've played through SOC three times now and with each play through it gets more and more enjoyable. I seriously don't understand why people don't like the ballistics system in stalker. On my last play through, the mission where you and a bunch of Duty soldiers attack the Freedom base is probably the most intense shooting in any game I've played. It was on the hardest difficulty (this is with the realistic gun mod too) and it took me literally 10-15 attempts to finally clear the Freedom base, but it never got old. My troubles were doubly rewarded by quickly scavenging all the corpses for precious ammo and expensive guns they dropped.