The Witcher or Oblivion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

Hey all. I've decided to get a new game from Steam this weekend, and I'm torn between two awesome fantasy rpgs: The Witcher and Oblivion.

Now, I've played Oblivion a few years ago on the xbox (didn't have a gaming pc at the time) and I loved it. Dumped about 90 hours into the game. I loved its open world style and all the complexities and the action-based combat. I'm wondering if it will be a different experience on the PC, what with better graphics and all the mods and stuff.

I've never played The Witcher before, so this one is sort of iffy. Is it open world like Oblivion? Is the combat fun and action based, or is it point and click combat like in Dragon Age?

I'm just torn between the two. What do you guys think?

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
You've already dumped 90 hours into Oblivion. A second playthrough even with mods/better gfx won't feel as new and refreshing as The Witcher. Witcher gogo.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

im going to have to go with the witcher. I really liked oblivion, but the witcher was even better.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

The Witcher's combat system is dull and sorely lacking - Oblivion's is more entertaining. Even though Oblivion's felt clunky and slow.

The Witcher is a point and click type system; you click to start your attack and when the sword flames (your pointer) you click the attack button again to do a combo attack. Rinse and repeat that over and over again, hundreds and hundreds of times....

Story wise, The Witcher has a better story and a much, much longer main quest line. Oblivion's main quest can be done in a quick 6-8 hours if you know what to do and where to go.

Try the Witcher demo and see if it's a gameplay you could enjoy. If you like how the game works and feels....if you like it, go with The Witcher. If you don't like the demo, go with Oblivion.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

The Witcher's combat system is dull and sorely lacking - Oblivion's is more entertaining. Even though Oblivion's felt clunky and slow.

The Witcher is a point and click type system; you click to start your attack and when the sword flames (your pointer) you click the attack button again to do a combo attack. Rinse and repeat that over and over again, hundreds and hundreds of times....

Story wise, The Witcher has a better story and a much, much longer main quest line. Oblivion's main quest can be done in a quick 6-8 hours if you know what to do and where to go.

Try the Witcher demo and see if it's a gameplay you could enjoy. If you like how the game works and feels....if you like it, go with The Witcher. If you don't like the demo, go with Oblivion.

neatfeatguy
true, however there is magic and potions to keep things interesting in the witcher. The witcher isnt an action game, its a pc style rpg/hack n slash.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I didn't really care much for Oblivion. But, it came with Bioshock ($20 combo). So it was worth it to me. It was the same with The Witcher. I didn't care for it either until I saw all the cleavages in screenshots. That got me interested. He He. Plus, it was $20.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

As for the TCs question, I think he might find Oblivion more interresting, judging by what he is looking for, just make sure to get the GOTY edition of it, it is well worth it (and it is dirt cheap).

The witcher to me is a far better game, better gameworld, better story, much better characters, better themes, and I enjoyied the combat a whole lot more (Oblivion felt a whole lot of the combat of arx fatalis).

But when it comes to freedom, or action I think Oblivion caters more... Besides I do not think Oblivion was a bad game, it can be an oddly nice game, with the freedom it offers, and the fun you can have + mods for the pc version of Oblivion makes it so much more enjoyable then the console versions (do bear in mind, that it when all comes to all, is the same game).

So Id say buy oblivion, and try the demo of the witcher (im not really sure if I have to be honest, the demo is the 1st chapter, and far the wrost in the game)

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
If you loved Oblivion on the 360 so much, I recommend getting it + overhaul mods to make the game feel fresh and new. I personally did not enjoy the Witcher as much as I wanted and found myself going back to Oblivion
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
The Witcher, if you want an Elder Scrolls game, get Morrowind.
Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts
Both are great but oblivion is better imo.
dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

The Witcher.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
The Witcher, no contest.
JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

I ended up going with The Witcher for 2 reasons: 1. I've never played it. 2. Well...Boobs. :-D

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

ahh.. Oblivion is much better with mods. I actually never liked vanilla oblivion. With mods, Oblivion is really really good. Plus, there are tons of boob mods for oblivion.

The Witcher is boring with terrible combat. The game has to be one of the most overrated games on the PC.

Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

the witcher is brilliant

get it

excellent story

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Id easilly reccomend both, but since you ve allready spent a lot of time with Oblivion, id say go with The Witcher. Ive actually just completed the witcher, and i thought it was a good game
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Oblivion on the PC (with mods) can be either a rewarding experience or a nightmare. Mods must be Load-Ordered (especially the larger ones that change a lot), so you'd need to learn utility programs such as OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager).

I had over 70 mods in Oblivion; however, there were mods I wanted that I could not use because they conflicted badly with others I had already installed.

The most favorite mods in the game are the three that eliminate thousands of bugs & glitches that remained after the issue of the last Official Patch:

1. Unofficial Oblivion Patch

2. Unofficial Official Mod Patch

3. Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch

They will only work if the latest Official Patch is installed, and the above three mods are sensitive to Load-Order.

Bottom line: The Witcher would be more enjoyable. It is also Open-World; however, sometimes going to certain locations can have an effect on quests.

The Witcher runs well, all the way up to Windows 7 64-bit: I doubt the same can be said for Oblivion.:)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

well, since it was through steam, I doubt the patching would be a problem... anyways do drop a line/update so we can know what you think about it ^^

GamerLauri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GamerLauri
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts
oblivion is better
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
If you want alot of exploration oblivion. If you want smaller areas and more quests and story, then the witcher
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

I ended up going with The Witcher for 2 reasons: 1. I've never played it. 2. Well...Boobs. :-D

JonSnow777
With nude mods, oblivion has more than just boobs!!
Eneru112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eneru112
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Is that a question? The Witcher.

Bros89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bros89
Member since 2004 • 624 Posts

Oblivion: patch it up so it looks like a 2008 game with nice graphics and instal oscurio's overhaul mod: it makes the game the best elder scrolls out there.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

I would say Oblivion. Not a big fan of the witcher, but I haven't played too much of it.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

[QUOTE="JonSnow777"]

dakan45

With nude mods, oblivion has more than just boobs!!

Yeah, there are plenty of R to XXX mods. Some of them, while well written and implemented, are just laughable (Slof's mods). :P

VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

Played both TONS of hours, The Witcher is the better game out of the box.

Oblivion can be just as good but it takes several hours of moding to get it there.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
I really enjoyed Oblivion and its countless mods makes it all the more entertaining. I don't know what it was about The Witcher that made me not like, I realize the story is good I just can't get into it. I would recommend Oblivion I have 100's of hours into it and I still don't find it boring.
gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#28 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

I stuck with the Witcher. I found it's combat to be far better than Oblivion's (which consisted of Blocking, then attacking, then blocking, then maybe tossing a magic). The Witcher's combat system is really, really fun.

However, this is all a matter of opinion depending on what you prefer: A hardcore RPG experience or fun combat. If you prefer the RPG experience, stick with Oblivion (also has less glitches). If you like combat, go for the Witcher.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Buy the witcher. I found Oblivion to be almost unplayable.
fajin36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fajin36
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The thread starter has aleady made his choice, and I'd have also gone for the Witcher, especially after putting a ton of time into Obivion already. Besides, Geralt is one of the coolest game characters around...
soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

Witcher all the way.