The Witcher 3 to be completely free of DRM

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Unsurprising, but still an awesome move by CD Projekt RED. Good attitude.

"The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt RED has confirmed its upcoming open world RPG will be completely DRM free.

Speaking to Kotaku during a GDC Interview, designer Maciej Szczesnik said "We are trying to get rid of DRM. If someone wants to pirate a game, eventually he will."

At this point, the managing director on The Witcher 3 project butted in to say: "But you can't do anything about it, so. We want to give the best user experience possible. When we removed DRM, people on those torrents were actually asking people not to download our game, because we [weren't using DRM]."

The CD Projekt RED team also appear to enjoy developing for the Playstation 4: "It's another platform, but PC-like. Which is cool."

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is set for release in 2014 on PC and Playstation 4."

Apologies if old. Did a search and nothing turned up.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

That's great. They seem to have learned their lesson from trying to extort grandmothers over TW2 piracy. Personally, I'm still going to want it from Steam though.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

it is the right move.

and they're mindset of people who want the game for free will eventually find a way of pirating it, is right. some people will do anything to get something for free if they can, all you can do is buy the game and hope a lot of other people do also. it has been proven recently that bringing in measures of keeping pirates out sometimes only leads to less sales through annoyance and problems.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I am not surprised. CD Projekt RED are smart. Unlike dumb EA, investing on online DRM that was going to be a failure to begin with.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Will be paying full price for it. Voting with your wallet is the best thing you can do.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I just hope it has an auto-update feature.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
Considering this is the same company who own GOG.com it's not really surprising.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Will be paying full price for it. Voting with your wallet is the best thing you can do. chrisrooR

Definitely, CDPR have built up a reputation for being a good dev who really care about their consumers and I hope that continues with TW3, so far it looks like it will and I will gladly pay full price for a game from a dev like that. 

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Glad to see that success hasn't turned them into dbags.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Not that suprising, but still best news I heard all day.

Guess this makes Witcher 3 day one on GoG! :)

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Excellent!

Witcher 3 now receives a seal of approval from my wallet.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Will still buy on Steam for achievements and cloud saving...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Let's see how the piracy goes on this one. My guess: most CDProjekt game ever pirated sadly...
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't take that as gospel. They said that about the Witcher 2 and it still shipped with drm. It was patched out within a few weeks to get rid of it but still, if you are going to speak in absolutes it's best to be accurate.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
"Will include full Steamworks support"
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

devs with a piece of brains

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

"Will include full Steamworks support" biggest_loser
I think they are talking about the Steam version in that case. Obviously if you buy from Steam there is going to be DRM since Steam is a form of DRM, so why not add all the nice functionality that Steamworks offers 

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#18 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Good, but if they go on a pirate witch hunt again, I will no longer support them.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't take that as gospel. They said that about the Witcher 2 and it still shipped with drm. It was patched out within a few weeks to get rid of it but still, if you are going to speak in absolutes it's best to be accurate.guynamedbilly
The physical version of the game I know shipped with SecureROM or something of the like. But the GOG, and Gamersgate versions(not sure about GMG or other distros), were always DRM free since release. But I do agree with the last sentence.
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
I will buy this game day 1 and full price to show my support. Sorry GMG.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
I hope everyone buys like five copies.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
Sorry to be Devil's Advocate here but NO DRM isn't the answer either. Why are people so fussed about DRM anyway? Games used to come with protection when they were on Floppy Disk. I agree some DRM is worse than others... but games should have some type of protection from pirates.
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DefconRave
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Sorry to be Devil's Advocate here but NO DRM isn't the answer either. Why are people so fussed about DRM anyway? Games used to come with protection when they were on Floppy Disk. I agree some DRM is worse than others... but games should have some type of protection from pirates.

No point in any DRM, will be cracked in a day or 2, unless it's always online DRM and we all know what a nightmare that is.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi

Sorry to be Devil's Advocate here but NO DRM isn't the answer either. Why are people so fussed about DRM anyway? Games used to come with protection when they were on Floppy Disk. I agree some DRM is worse than others... but games should have some type of protection from pirates.FelipeInside

you forgot the part where drm does nothing to halt a pirate

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#26 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Sorry to be Devil's Advocate here but NO DRM isn't the answer either. Why are people so fussed about DRM anyway? Games used to come with protection when they were on Floppy Disk. I agree some DRM is worse than others... but games should have some type of protection from pirates.FelipeInside

Well, DRM for singleplayer games literally NEVER WORKS. Pirates will pirate, DRM changes nothing, only creates more hoops for paying customers to jump through. 

If someone comes up with a unobtrusive form of DRM that actually works by some magical means, then sure, its good, but no such thing currently exists. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="DefconRave"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Sorry to be Devil's Advocate here but NO DRM isn't the answer either. Why are people so fussed about DRM anyway? Games used to come with protection when they were on Floppy Disk. I agree some DRM is worse than others... but games should have some type of protection from pirates.

No point in any DRM, will be cracked in a day or 2, unless it's always online DRM and we all know what a nightmare that is.

Some DRM takes more than a day or 2, and that's the idea of a DRM. Except for Always Online DRM which seems to be the hardest to crack and why more and more devs are considering it, the goal of a typical DRM isn't to stop piracy, but to slow it down enough for the game to get a few more sales. I remember Prince of Persia and Ubisoft releasing it without DRM cause of all the complaints. It turned out to be the most pirated Ubisoft game in history. I don't remember seeing all these complaints with the DRM on Floppy Disk Games, but maybe cause there was no internet back then...
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DefconRave
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="DefconRave"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Sorry to be Devil's Advocate here but NO DRM isn't the answer either. Why are people so fussed about DRM anyway? Games used to come with protection when they were on Floppy Disk. I agree some DRM is worse than others... but games should have some type of protection from pirates.

Some DRM takes more than a day or 2, and that's the idea of a DRM. Except for Always Online DRM which seems to be the hardest to crack and why more and more devs are considering it, the goal of a typical DRM isn't to stop piracy, but to slow it down enough for the game to get a few more sales. I remember Prince of Persia and Ubisoft releasing it without DRM cause of all the complaints. It turned out to be the most pirated Ubisoft game in history. I don't remember seeing all these complaints with the DRM on Floppy Disk Games, but maybe cause there was no internet back then...

You have a point about a few extra sales but most pirates can wait weeks to pirate a game, meanwhile they will dl the other hundreds of cracked games available. Personally I feel the best "DRM" is to shut down the torrent sites or at least the bigger ones.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
I'd rather buy games through Steam to be honest. Keep my game library all in one place and it tracks my playing time as well as other useful features.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="DefconRave"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="DefconRave"] No point in any DRM, will be cracked in a day or 2, unless it's always online DRM and we all know what a nightmare that is.

You have a point about a few extra sales but most pirates can wait weeks to pirate a game, meanwhile they will dl the other hundreds of cracked games available. Personally I feel the best "DRM" is to shut down the torrent sites or at least the bigger ones.

Yeah of course shutting down the torrent sites would be the best method, but also the hardest. You are right that most pirates will wait weeks to download, and the devs know this. It's the "other" people who can't wait and want to play the game straight away that will get them those extra few sales. It's simple as that. Anyone that tells you that DRM is to STOP pirates are idiots. It's not, it's to get the product out and legal for a while until it's cracked. The longer the better.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

If it comes with launch DRM like The Witcher 2 did, I will not buy it. But this sounds like it'll be completely DRM Free. If that's the case, I will purchase it on day one. If not, well, they'll probably make an enhanced edition that is completely DRM free.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Ehhh There will still be 1 million or so pirates just like The Witcher 2 and TW1. Pirates are full of it.. they say they want drm-free games yet they go around and pirate drm-free games anyways. Humans.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside
Ehhh There will still be 1 million or so pirates just like The Witcher 2 and TW1. Pirates are full of it.. they say they want drm-free games yet they go around and pirate drm-free games anyways. Humans.Elann2008
How can you pirate a DRM Free Game??? lol.....
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Ehhh There will still be 1 million or so pirates just like The Witcher 2 and TW1. Pirates are full of it.. they say they want drm-free games yet they go around and pirate drm-free games anyways. Humans.FelipeInside

Just because it has no DRM doesn't mean you can't steal it, which is what piracy is.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

If it comes with launch DRM like The Witcher 2 did, I will not buy it. But this sounds like it'll be completely DRM Free. If that's the case, I will purchase it on day one. If not, well, they'll probably make an enhanced edition that is completely DRM free.

Lost-to-Apathy
So you judge the quality of a game by it having DRM or not? Ok then...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Ehhh There will still be 1 million or so pirates just like The Witcher 2 and TW1. Pirates are full of it.. they say they want drm-free games yet they go around and pirate drm-free games anyways. Humans.FelipeInside

What are you on Felipe? :P The Witcher 2 was pirated to death and it was drm-free.  And there's an endless list of games from GOG.. that are pirated.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Its good that its DRM free :) If i remember correctly they pulled the numbers out of their ass when it came to how much TW2 got pirated. 4.5million downloads in 6 weeks or so is what they said? It did not even make it top 5 that year and the top was 4million or so?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Elann2008
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]Its good that its DRM free :) If i remember correctly they pulled the numbers out of their ass when it came to how much TW2 got pirated. 4.5million downloads in 6 weeks or so is what they said? It did not even make it top 5 that year and the top was 4million or so?

I remember it being 1 million.. but if it was truly 4.5 mil.. that's scary.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="KalDurenik"]Its good that its DRM free :) If i remember correctly they pulled the numbers out of their ass when it came to how much TW2 got pirated. 4.5million downloads in 6 weeks or so is what they said? It did not even make it top 5 that year and the top was 4million or so?

It was not 4.5 million (they did some math with numbers pulled out of the air). But anyway im happy that its DRM free, not much point in having a DRM system that wont even slow pirates down. Just make the game as good as possible for the people that will buy it.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Elann2008
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="KalDurenik"]Its good that its DRM free :) If i remember correctly they pulled the numbers out of their ass when it came to how much TW2 got pirated. 4.5million downloads in 6 weeks or so is what they said? It did not even make it top 5 that year and the top was 4million or so?

It was not 4.5 million (they did some math with numbers pulled out of the air). But anyway im happy that its DRM free, not much point in having a DRM system that wont even slow pirates down. Just make the game as good as possible for the people that will buy it.

You're right. I agree that it's good for those that buy the game. The pirates will just crack the drm anyways.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]Ehhh There will still be 1 million or so pirates just like The Witcher 2 and TW1. Pirates are full of it.. they say they want drm-free games yet they go around and pirate drm-free games anyways. Humans.Elann2008

What are you on Felipe? :P The Witcher 2 was pirated to death and it was drm-free.  And there's an endless list of games from GOG.. that are pirated.

Sorry, it was a a terrible day at work...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] How can you pirate a DRM Free Game??? lol.....FelipeInside

It's all good man lol. I hope you have a nice weekend though. =)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] What are you on Felipe? :P The Witcher 2 was pirated to death and it was drm-free.  And there's an endless list of games from GOG.. that are pirated.Elann2008

It's all good man lol. I hope you have a nice weekend though. =)

LOL...thanks...you too....happy gaming.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

Not sure if it's a game for me, but I might buy it just to show support for someone going in the right direction.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

This makes an already super interesting and epicly promising game even more epic & promising! :)

Man, I can't wait for this! Haven't been THAT excited for a game anymore since the first release Trailer of Skyrim back in...2009 or 10 was it?

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I guess CDProject has to hype their game somehow. On the rails linear game play and a story with more holes than a sieve. I don't even think these guys have read a book before, the character development in The Witcher series is well below the average.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I hope people don't make CD regret this decision. I know I will be buying it on release day

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I guess CDProject has to hype their game somehow. On the rails linear game play and a story with more holes than a sieve. I don't even think these guys have read a book before, the character development in The Witcherseries is well below the average.SKaREO

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUQQQQQQQQQQQ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O_O

Are you sure we're talking about the same game?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wis3boi

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]I guess CDProject has to hype their game somehow. On the rails linear game play and a story with more holes than a sieve. I don't even think these guys have read a book before, the character development in The Witcherseries is well below the average.Justforvisit

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUQQQQQQQQQQQ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O_O

Are you sure we're talking about the same game?

He trolls every thread by trashing whatever it's about