The Walking Dead - What's so special about it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pg_nilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pg_nilay
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
So I'v been hearing all the fuss about this game. I'v never played it but what's so great about it? Spike even made it Game of the Year. Should I buy it?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Good writing. Excellent interactive adventure game with choices. It's The Walking Dead. :) Personally, it isn't my GOTY but it's definitely right up there with the top games.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
feels
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
interesting characters, dialogue choice that leads to some different dialogue. emotional connection with one and maybe more main characters.
Sparty_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sparty_basic
Member since 2002 • 496 Posts

It's fantastic. The gameplay itself isn't difficult, and it's marred by the occasional quicktime event. The strength of the game lies in the storytelling, and the true writing of the characters. It's really well written, and you really relate to the lead character. His relationship with one other main character is one of the most true and compelling relationships I've ever experienced in a game.

Worth every penny.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Normally I´m not really into the whole zombie thing, but The Walking Dead sucked me in with its great story telling, superb camera work and art style. I wouldn´t call it a GOTY, but it´s certainly one of this years gems. It´s not really a standard game, but more an interactive story. There is some gameplay, but hardly anything worth mentioning... this is one you play for the story.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I want it!! i love interactive adventure games where the voice dialogue is a key part of the game. It was on sale a few days ago on Steam.... don't tempt me guys. :twisted:

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I want it!! i love interactive adventure games where the voice dialogue is a key part of the game. It was on sale a few days ago on Steam.... don't tempt me guys. :twisted:

BattleSpectre

Get it! It's awesome. I was skeptical when the game first launched even though I'm a big Walking Dead fan; although I wasn't sure about interactive adventure games this gen. Long story short, after playing episode 1, I was hooked. :D

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts
So I'v been hearing all the fuss about this game. I'v never played it but what's so great about it? Spike even made it Game of the Year. Should I buy it?pg_nilay
Its very well written and quite engaging. But its definitely not my GOTY.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

An adventure game that has actual choice and consequence and isn't obtuse. A lot of them are linear interactive stories (which isn't bad) with some really obtuse puzzles plus pixel hunting to mix things up. The Walking Dead avoided all the usual bad parts of the genre and only used the good parts, for me at least.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
cool story. i haven't beaten it yet (sadly) but i have played 2ep's. the main charterers are extremely likeable. choices are nice you get to decide who you like dislike, ass to or be nice to everyone, who dies. NOW you can't change the main story but you choose your path getting there
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Its a lengthy adventure that tells one of the best stories this generation. It's a $25 game that easily rivals the majority of 50-60$ games in terms of production values and gameplay.

Peanut04_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Peanut04_basic
Member since 2002 • 724 Posts

Get it! It's awesome. I was skeptical when the game first launched even though I'm a big Walking Dead fan; although I wasn't sure about interactive adventure games this gen. Long story short, after playing episode 1, I was hooked. :D

Elann2008

I was pretty much the exact same way. I love The Walking Dead, but didn't have any interest in the game. I just didn't see how they could make it work. After seeing all the hype about it, I finally decided to pull the trigger on the game. I got it on sale for $9. I figured if I hate it, I'm not really out anything. All I can say is wow, what an absolutely great game.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Good writing. Excellent interactive adventure game with choices. It's The Walking Dead. :) Personally, it isn't my GOTY but it's definitely right up there with the top games.Elann2008

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#15 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Game really surprised me.

Great story, very well done characters, fantastic atmosphere, excellent dialogue and some tough choices.

My personal GOTY. Sure I played some other games more and some that have more replay value, but when ever a new Walking Dead ep came out I dropped EVERYTHING to play it.

You really start to care for some of these characters that you have spent 12-15 hour with. IMO this game shows a more mature side of videogames (not relying on shooting or gimmicks, but more about story, dialogue and characters). For me its the best writing by devs NOT named Obsidian.

Just goes to show that graphics is not the most important thing in gaming. One of only two videogames that has ever made me cry (To The Moon and this game).

Its nice when a game surprises ya, I thought this game would be a typical shooting zombie game, but what we got was something very special. Also its nice to get an adventure style game again!

PS: It has much better writing then the tv show!

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Ever heard of adventure games?

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Most games dont make me feel anything but like fun, excitement, ect. This game just was like, wow. Towards the end it was so depressing but yet so amazing. Its hard to describe without sounding contradicting. The ending scene was very powerful and well done. The choices you make are substantial. Everything you do and say gives the feeling like there is weight behind it. Its a very solid game and would recommend it to anyone.
i_am_the_slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 i_am_the_slime
Member since 2009 • 317 Posts

Most games dont make me feel anything but like fun, excitement, ect. This game just was like, wow. Towards the end it was so depressing but yet so amazing. Its hard to describe without sounding contradicting. The ending scene was very powerful and well done. The choices you make are substantial. Everything you do and say gives the feeling like there is weight behind it. Its a very solid game and would recommend it to anyone. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

I JUST finished the game and I very much enjoyed it. But about half way through, I started to wonder if my choices really DID matter. The writing is great and the game is an emotional rollercoaster, but it started to feel like the illusion of choice.

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

Definatley worth buying. More enjoyable than the show at times. One of them games you can enjoy even when depressed like Limbo.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I didn't enjoy it. The game never ran well on my PC(and my PC is only about six months old), and I didn't like the style or the gameplay.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

I didn't enjoy it. The game never ran well on my PC(and my PC is only about six months old), and I didn't like the style or the gameplay.

airshocker
If you are referring to choppy game play, try set the shadow quality to low. Don't know what's going on with that, but A LOT of people with buffed rigs experienced stuttering graphics (including me). Turning down the shadow quality fixed that for many of us. After I'd done that, I still got a little tear here and there, but overall it was just fine.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

But about half way through, I started to wonder if my choices really DID matter. The writing is great and the game is an emotional rollercoaster, but it started to feel like the illusion of choice.

i_am_the_slime

Life railroads you into predetermined outcomes all the time. A degree of predetermination does not make choices invalid. Complete agency does not exist.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

It caught me me by surprise. I recall thinking the first episode was just meh. But the episodes gradually got better, as did the story. The comic book art style is excellent; doing justice to the original material. The voice acting is better than average. And for the money and total game length, it is a great value. My surprise favorite of the year.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I got it on sale (5 episodes) for 18 and I'm really enjoying it so far.