The video game that "finally" won you over. (56k warning)

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Title says it all.

For me, it would have to be Titan Quest. I've played Diablo, Diablo 2, Torchlight, but for some reason I just could not get into Titan Quest. I finally decided to give it another try, and I sunk in about 6 hours last night. I'm loving it and I'm glad I gave it another try. Bought it from GamersGate for about $6.

Other games include: Fallout 3, STALKER series. Which I ended up liking a lot, especially STALKER: SoC.

How about you guys?

TITAN QUEST

aaat

ta

aa

8)

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

morrowind, dragon age : origins, the withcer enhanced edition

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Hasen't happened yet :cry:

it's the first Stalker game i've played. It goes by the name "Call of Pripyat". I just can't seem to find interest in it, i just wish the dialogue was more like the Fallout series, and it would be my favourite game in the world.

Should i give it more of a chance?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

it's the first Stalker game i've played. It goes by the name "Call of Pripyat". I just can't seem to find interest in it, i just wish the dialogue was more like the Fallout series, and it would be my favourite game in the world.

BattleSpectre
Yes.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Elann2008

BattleSpectre
Imho, Stalker is a niche game. Some people will love it and some people will absolutely hate it. Some are left perplexed at why this game is so amazing. I love it, but it may not be for you. I would encourage you to give it more of a chance though. But if you find that it's still not for you after 2-3 hours of gameplay, then you're probably better off playing another game, tbh.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

the game that convinced me pc gmaing was worth it? well since ive been playing games longer than a a person is in school in n. america id say doom 2 or serious sam TSE

though warcraft II is the game that changed my life.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Elann2008

tanerb
I really enjoyed Morrowind and The Witcher right from the start, but it took me a while to warm up to DAO. After a good bit of playing DAO became one of my favorite games in recent years. A total of 3 playthrough's.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

half-life 2

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
Just cause 2, even with the amazing visuals it was boring at the star, but now i love the game.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Believe it or not... DIABLO !!!! :-O I thought it was utter crap when a friend showed it to me.... 2 weeks after that, I couldn't stop playing it and became a Super FAN !!!
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Elann2008

Imho, Stalker is a niche game. Some people will love it and some people will absolutely hate it. Some are left perplexed at why this game is so amazing. I love it, but it may not be for you. I would encourage you to give it more of a chance though. But if you find that it's still not for you after 2-3 hours of gameplay, then you're probably better off playing another game, tbh.

Appreciate the helpful advice Elann :D

I'm in the mood for some Stalker right now so i'll be starting it up very shortly, and hopefully i really get drawn into the game. Also DX11 should make it a little more favourable.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

BattleSpectre

I'm in the mood for some Stalker right now so i'll be starting it up very shortly, and hopefully i really get drawn into the game. Also DX11 should make it a little more favourable.

I've tried to play STALKER 4 times now (uninstall and reinstall) I even tried Part 2... 3 times... Just...cannot...get....into...this...game....
trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

From a quick look at my Steams list most of the games that gave me this problem have already been said. Most notably one being the first Stalker. Mainly because I had some insane bugs that upon returning much later had to do some intense googling to resolve (Turned out to be so worth it though). Recent games that I have played a little bit of and just have no interest in continuing right now is Just Cause 2 and Trine. I'll probably look into them again on a future rainy day, but for now couldn't get passed 1 hour in both of them.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

From a quick look at my Steams list most of the games that gave me this problem have already been said. Most notably one being the first Stalker. Mainly because I had some insane bugs that upon returning much later had to do some intense googling to resolve (Turned out to be so worth it though). Recent games that I have played a little bit of and just have no interest in continuing right now is Just Cause 2 and Trine. I'll probably look into them again on a future rainy day, but for now couldn't get passed 1 hour in both of them.

trijity

OMG Dude !!!

Those are AWESOME games....please give them another go....just don't expect much except great graphics and fun gameplay....

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

BattleSpectre

You're welcome :D
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts
Deus Ex
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Borderlands, but only if you play it online, the game is horrendous if you play by yourself.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="tanerb"]

I really enjoyed Morrowind and The Witcher right from the start, but it took me a while to warm up to DAO. After a good bit of playing DAO became one of my favorite games in recent years. A total of 3 playthrough's.

OMFG im trying to get back into it but that stupid mission where you turn into a friggin rat is sooooooo tedious i havent played that game since then. that was like 3 or 4 weeks ago i think. up to that point i was REALLY ejoying the game.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="slvrraven9"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="tanerb"]

OMFG im trying to get back into it but that stupid mission where you turn into a friggin rat is sooooooo tedious i havent played that game since then. that was like 3 or 4 weeks ago i think. up to that point i was REALLY ejoying the game.

@slvrraven9: you can use a mod that skips that part and gives you all the atributes @Elann2008: you must have LOTS of free time to play it 3 times.... and is it really worth playing more than once?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] I really enjoyed Morrowind and The Witcher right from the start, but it took me a while to warm up to DAO. After a good bit of playing DAO became one of my favorite games in recent years. A total of 3 playthrough's.FelipeInside

@slvrraven9: you can use a mod that skips that part and gives you all the atributes @Elann2008: you must have LOTS of free time to play it 3 times.... and is it really worth playing more than once?

Well, I don't have that much time any more now with college and working full-time. But this was 3 playthroughs across the span of a year or so. I bought it since the game first came out. Played it twice on the PS3, and then the third time on the PC. Mind you, I wasn't playing much of anything else LOL. One of the main reasons why I missed out on a ton of games and now I have a incredibly huge backlog that I'm not too proud of. Oh, and very little sleep.. :) Looking back, I can't say it was worth playing 3 times, maybe twice. The origins stories at the very beginning of each start of the game were the only parts that were incredibly different between each race. Although, there were parts of the story that I really wanted to play differently. That was my main motivation to go back and play it more than once.

@slvrraven9 I have to say, that was the only part of the game that I didn't like. :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008

Borderlands, but only if you play it online, the game is horrendous if you play by yourself.

KillerJuan77
True. I remember buying Borderlands (360 version), trying it out for 30 mins and hating it. I ended up selling it. When the end of the year came, so many critics and users were praising it. Picking Borderlands as one of their top 5 games of the year. Usually I'm not so easily convinced, but I caved in and decided to give Borderlands one more "go." When I hopped online and played through the game with 3 other random players, I was having a blast. Luckily I met some cool people online and I spend countless hours on my days off dedicated to more and more Borderlands. I bought all the DLC's and especially loved Zombie Island. I'm a zombie-fanatic. And I rarely buy DLC's but these were really worth it.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I'll have to say Diablo. I remember when I was younger I would play the showcase demo at CompUSA, but I didn't buy it. It wasn't until later, probably a year or so before Diablo 2 was released that my friend let me borrow his copy.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

Minecraft, hahahaha

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Morrowind, i couldn't get into it at all the first time i played. I tried again after a couple months and i was hooked. Now i have so many fond memories playing it, im really glad i gave it a second go.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I hate Morrowind until I sunk in some time on it on my own, now I like it more than Oblivion. I hardly play it anymore though because it creeps me out :|

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

I had the same experience with Titan Quest :O

I finished the main game with my crappy character, and couldn't bear the idea of trying to slog through the expansion. When my brother expressed an interest in playing, I looked online for an idea of a toon for him and discovered that most of my woes with the game had stemmed from me playing with one of the lowest-tier characters.

After starting up a new character and checking out a build guide for suggestions in the early game, I've sunk 20+ hours into the game in the last couple of weeks and am nearly into the expansion. So fun.

And first person shooters in general. I didn't know how to enjoy them until after playing HL1 on the PS2 in 2008; since then I've loved them.

l-lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 l-lord
Member since 2009 • 853 Posts

Fallout 3 surely maybe wasnt as successful as the original was, but thanks to the mod community it has made it the most biggest source for virtual fun in the whole universe.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Warcraft III.

It took me 3 tries to actually get into Morrowind, but once I got over the horribad combat and models and embraced the RPG aspect. It was one of the best games I've played.

Warcraft III? When I was younger, I could not comprehend how to use a hero or combination of units and just zerged with Tier 1 units. I use to rage-quit every time I get owned by a Easy computer and I completely disregarded the single-player campaign. Now, after playing it correctly and going through the singleplayer campaign as well I'd say it is on my top 10.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Mine would be Persona series on PS2 actually... I've never really like JRPG at all, aside from Chrono Trigger. I despise the whole FF franchise too... At first I was hesitant to even try Persona, but once I started playing P3/FES, I was hooked and P4 has become MY favorite game of all time. I'm hooked to the series now, even though it's a JRPG.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Tons of games have "won me over" so I'll just post the last one to do so...

Eschalon: Book 2

I played the demo and felt maybe the gameplay would be too slow so I never ended up purchasing it. Few month later I had nothing to play so figured what the hell it's not that expensive. Ended up thoroughly enjoying the game, and it was really nice playing an new but old school game.

asdfasdf

sfdgsf

asdfsdafsdaf

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#31 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Kings bounty, took me awhile to get over the walls of small text in an unmovable window and the slow pacing. It eventually grew into something great, charming, shamelessly odd and rich with its turn based mechanics.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Nothing really springs to mind. If I don't like a game in the first hour or two there's a very good chance that I'm not going to like it in the 6th hour, the 20th hour, or ever. That's why I like demos. I like to try a game before I buy it and, considering the amazing amount of so-called AAA garbage being released recently and the bloated nature of modern review scores, that's never been more true than it is now.

The only game I can think of that remotely fits the bill is The Witcher. When I fist started playing it I couldn't get past how absolutely terrible the combat was but eventually I was able to block it out and soldier on, but just barely. I'm glad I did too because it's a pretty solid action-RPG. It's just a shame the combat was so mind-numbingly dreadful.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I modded it up like none other and I absolutely fell in love with the game. Ive logged more hours than I can count into that game. Half Life 2, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect and Portal get honorable mentions.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

yea, I'm old.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#35 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

The Witcher was like that. I would play it for an hour then not play it for a week. That went on for over a month, and then I beat the rest in a week or two. People were right, it really picks up after the beginning.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

half-life 2

tutt3r
word. this is when i really started taking games seriously.
Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

Fallout 1.

darkmask1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#38 darkmask1991
Member since 2008 • 817 Posts
Starcraft. There was a time I only played that game for my living. Final Fantasy X. I remember playing the from the beginning until fighting Seymour on his palace. Good times. Last game that I really sunk into was Crysis 2 SP
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Thief. It's a game which requires huge amounts of patience and a great appreciation for sound and atmosphere. You can't rush into a mission expecting instant action: no, you're trying to avoid the action. The more I played it the more the story grew on me, too.
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

The first couple of serious games that I played on the PC were Quake and Unreal Tournament.

However, before that there was a little F1 car racing game that was popular on arcade machines at gaming shops, then on the Nintendo Game Boy, but I saw it on my first PC, an old PC that was gonna be thrown in the garbage, but I begged for it, I can't remember the name of the game, maybe it was F1 Race, it was on a MS DOS 386 machine a long time ago.

But the games that really made me pay attention to the PC and started seriously upgrading my PC's were in order

F1 Race?

Doom 3

Gears of War

Mass Effect

Crysis

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

I would have to say Batman AA (as a recent one anyway, recent enough out of 24+ years of gaming)

I thought batman looked good, but was gonna be boring as hell... I even got it for my gf to play because she loved the demo on the 360 so I got the pc version for her...

I went ahead and installed it on my rig, hooked up the 360 pad, and decided to give it a go.. After an hour and a half I was freaking hooked, I found EVERY riddle and hidden gem in the game! (without using a walkthrough) The game was seriously underrated by my own judgement before, It was fantastic, and I am so looking forward to Batman AC (Arkham City).

That is if I am understanding your question right lol.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
I have too many games to be won over. If I don't like a game within the first 2 hours I uninstall and forget about it.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Elann2008

Tons of games have "won me over" so I'll just post the last one to do so...

Eschalon: Book 2

I played the demo and felt maybe the gameplay would be too slow so I never ended up purchasing it. Few month later I had nothing to play so figured what the hell it's not that expensive. Ended up thoroughly enjoying the game, and it was really nice playing an new but old school game.

asdfasdf

sfdgsf

asdfsdafsdaf

Renevent42

Nice! I'm kinda interested in this game now. :P

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

This game right here. First time playing through it enjoyed it but found it overated after upgrading my graphics card and messing around with diffrent custom configs and playing through and testing out the first few maps found my self really drawn to it and apprecitating the large open nature of the games levels and various ways to tackle a level and assualt koreans combined with the nano suit powers which really make the game special. Now beaten it 4 times and play throughed the early levels countless times.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/94863728-4.jpg

Brazucass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Brazucass
Member since 2009 • 482 Posts

I like Titan quest but dont like to have to create 30 characters to experience all the combinations of classes. I think this aspect was a failure.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Won me over? I dont get it, won me over from what?

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

Fable 2, Fallout 3. I must have started each one 2-3 times and then something just clicked and made me realize how awesome they both were.

Currently, I am trying my hardest to get back into Mass Effect (yes, the original). It's one of those games I had no interest in until the sequel came out and was universally praised, and I have this thing where I can't play a sequel if I don't beat the original. I just feel like it's not quite a shooter, not quite an rpg. I'll get there. Oh I will get there 8)

Also, I really feel like I want to like Assassin's Creed (yes, the original, see above) but, I mean, I just don't *get* it. Climb a tower, find a Flag, kill a dude X10. I really feel like this whole series is going to be cut off for me because I can't bring myself to get into it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I can't think of any. :(
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Elann2008

Won me over? I dont get it, won me over from what?

andalore
I thought it was a pretty simple topic. Basically, the game that you just couldn't get into for whatever the reason, but you finally ended up liking/loving it. :)
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I modded it up like none other and I absolutely fell in love with the game. Ive logged more hours than I can count into that game. Half Life 2, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect and Portal get honorable mentions. ferrari2001

Same here. I thought the game was garbage when I bought it years ago when it first came out. After talking with a friend at work he convince me to try it again with mods. Not only have I put in hundred of hours into playing the game I have also put hundred of hours on getting the right mods and customizing the game to the point where it was perfect for me.

Though the thing is I have changed the game to the point where it's nothing like the original game. Gameplay, leveling and mobs are all completely different from the original game. So I'm not sure I would say Oblivion won me over. It's more like I changed Oblivion from a game I didn't like to a different game that I now love. Probably be the same way with Skyrim so I'm not too worried if the game is not that great at release. I'll just have to wait for the great modding community to fix it up.