The "Ask Any Question about HDTV or Audio" Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

renegadeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 renegadeds
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I'm currently in the market for an LCD HDTV - I want to avoid Plasma due to the problem with burn-in (I know it's getting less and less, but I want to protect my investment).

The TV will be used primarily for 360 gaming, with an hour or two of standard arial TV viewing (as in a normal signal, not HD) each night. I will also watch movies on the TV, currently on the standard 360 but soon using the HDDVD drive. I only have the 360 connected (no DVD player, I use the 360) and audio is not a problem because using the VGA cable I connect the audio to an amp and speaker system.

I have around £900 to spent on the TV, and have been looking at the following models.

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=318019&tab=specification

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=355941&tab=specification

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=364045&tab=specification

Any recommendations based on experiences with the sets, and what I want to use it for?

smiddyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302 smiddyman
Member since 2003 • 234 Posts
I've ordered a new LCD HDTV, a Sony KDL-40W2000. When it arrives it will be used for my 360, and in the future HD-DVD, maybe Blue Ray, who knows. Any tips on how I can get the most out of it?
island_monster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#303 island_monster
Member since 2002 • 29 Posts

PS3 flops: too many to list in this space ... more to be added

see how easy it is to put up a lame post...stick to the discussion on this forum ... it's all about answering questions on HDTV

cryofreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 cryofreeze
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

Why is everyone going LCD? I thought DLP was supposed to be the best for gaming? In fact I seem to remember reading somewhere that samsung was working with microsoft on their new tv's for specifically that reason.

Is it because of the size? Or because you have to change the bulb every couple years? Or is it the rainbow effect?

I have played the 360 on an older samsung DLP and I must say that it was the best looking graphics I have ever seen. I wanted to sell my 51" crt rear projection immediately and go get one.

Just curious as I am in the market for a new tv for gaming/movies, etc., and had my mind made up that I was going DLP until I started reading that everyone is buying LCD flat panels now.

Liquid_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 Liquid_Cool
Member since 2003 • 680 Posts

Ive heard that samsung does not record the contrast ratio the same as sony does....

If so Can you tell me the differance between these 2 tvs

$4800 http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1003081

$3500 http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/tv/lcdtv/lns4695dxxaa.asp

Thanks I want to use which ever tv i buy for gaming mostly

misfit_780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#306 misfit_780
Member since 2006 • 339 Posts
ok so im planning to get a Samsung LE-27T51B its a 27" LCD HDTV just wondering whether any of you guys have this tv already and can recomend it or if someone knows of a better HDTV about 27" for less than £500? thanks!

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#307 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3119 Posts
[QUOTE="draggonetic"](Audio recommendations?)
Recently finding out that Bose isn't all its cracked up to be (as you said), I decided to be more of a smart shopper this time around.
I was wondering if you'd have any other suggestions on an AV reciever and a 5.1 surround speaker system? I watch regular cable TV, play the Wii, x360, PS3, etc., listen to music (though less often), and enjoy DVD movies.
Also, are the HDMI features of the new AV recievers worthwhile? I don't really want to spend over $600 on an HDMI reciever if it's not noticeably superior to sub-$500 AV recievers. Another thing to note is that though my TV (Pioneer PRO-1540HD, by the way, what do you think? ) has HDMI inputs capable of recieving 1080p signals, it can't display it (I'm assuming that because it has a 1365 x 768 native resolution). I've taken your words to heart, a decent display requires the company of decent audio.
As for the 5.1 surround speaker system, anything better than the Bose Acoustimass Series. From what I've experienced, I guess that doesn't narrow the choices very much. If you think a particular system/brand is good, then chances are I'll think so too. I'm not very picky when it comes to sound, although it's mentally reassuring to know that I will have a system that is of high quality and a competitive price. To be honest, I probably won't be able to tell the difference in quality between a $500 system and a $1200 system, if that helps at all. Here's a list if you can't think of any off the top-of-your-head, intellexual.net.
Thank you!

First of all, good move considering other brands than Bose.  Don't get me wrong, Bose sounds good if you pay $200 but the fact is if you pay the $1k+ you would for it, there are much better sounding and cheaper options out there.

Re: a new receiver, it sounds to me like your price range is around $500-$1,000.  In that range, you have a multitude of choices and while there are some sound quality differences between receivers, most of the time, the price difference can be owed to more connectivity, more sound processing, better fit and finish, etc.  If you have to get a receiver now, look at Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon.  But I'd hold off on getting a new receiver for a few months for two reasons.  First, the latest standard in HDMI (1.3) just came out.  There are no HDMI equipped receivers on the market yet.  Also, with HD DVD and Blu-ray, there are two new next gen surround sound standards as well, Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio and neither of these are featured on current receivers.  Just wait a few months, see if new receivers are released with these features, and then make your decision.  Lastly, re: sound, don't underestimate the value of full range, Richter-scale quality audio.  In some instances, good sound is even more immersive than HD resolution, IMO.

Re: speakers, you have two choices.  You can go for a home theater kit (cheaper and easier to place and set up but not expandable and lower quality sound) or separates (higher quality sound and expandable but harder to set up and more expensive).  For your price range, go for separates.  Also, I'm not familiar with all the speakers in that link, but they're all well known and dependable brands that you should go and try out, if possible.  I myself have B&W and they're excellent.

BTW, I like that Pioneer plasma, Pioneer arguably makes the best plasmas on the market.

GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 GalvatronType_R

I'm currently in the market for an LCD HDTV - I want to avoid Plasma due to the problem with burn-in (I know it's getting less and less, but I want to protect my investment).

The TV will be used primarily for 360 gaming, with an hour or two of standard arial TV viewing (as in a normal signal, not HD) each night. I will also watch movies on the TV, currently on the standard 360 but soon using the HDDVD drive. I only have the 360 connected (no DVD player, I use the 360) and audio is not a problem because using the VGA cable I connect the audio to an amp and speaker system.

I have around £900 to spent on the TV, and have been looking at the following models.

Any recommendations based on experiences with the sets, and what I want to use it for?

renegadeds

This one's a bit tricky since the Sony LCD doesn't list all of its stats, not even CR (which is probably an LCD's most important stat) and none list how many of each connection each LCD has.

That being said, it's a tossup between the Toshiba and the Samsung.  While the Samsung has better CR and connectivity, the Toshiba is five inches bigger.  Determine if you want more connections and slightly better picture quality vs. a bigger image and there's your winner.  Before buying, just like I tell everyone else, if possible, go to the store and try out both.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 GalvatronType_R
I've ordered a new LCD HDTV, a Sony KDL-40W2000. When it arrives it will be used for my 360, and in the future HD-DVD, maybe Blue Ray, who knows. Any tips on how I can get the most out of it?smiddyman

Tips:

-buy a tuneup DVD (Avia, Digital Video Essentials, and Sound and Vision are good) and use it to calibrate the picture

-place the LCD in an area where there is a lot of ventilation for the top (on most LCDs, the heat vents are on top)

-if it has backlight control (I'm 99% sure it does), turn it down a bit past the half point, this will ensure a longer life for the LCD

-even though LCDs are brighter and perform well in sunny rooms, try to place it in a room with light control since even LCDs benefit from less sunlight reflecting on it
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 GalvatronType_R

Why is everyone going LCD? I thought DLP was supposed to be the best for gaming? In fact I seem to remember reading somewhere that samsung was working with microsoft on their new tv's for specifically that reason.

Is it because of the size? Or because you have to change the bulb every couple years? Or is it the rainbow effect?

I have played the 360 on an older samsung DLP and I must say that it was the best looking graphics I have ever seen. I wanted to sell my 51" crt rear projection immediately and go get one.

Just curious as I am in the market for a new tv for gaming/movies, etc., and had my mind made up that I was going DLP until I started reading that everyone is buying LCD flat panels now.

cryofreeze

LCD and DLP both have their good and bad points but LCD panels are gaining popularity because LCDs generally are brighter and have better color definition than DLP, they're more compact, and just like you mentioned, people who get headaches from the DLP rainbow effect have no choice but to go with LCD or LCoS.  From my experience, DLP generally has better overall picture quality than LCD.  Lastly, LCDs display 1080p fully while current DLPs use a process called "wobulation" (Google it for a full explanation).
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 GalvatronType_R

Ive heard that samsung does not record the contrast ratio the same as sony does....

If so Can you tell me the differance between these 2 tvs

$4800 http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1003081

$3500 http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/tv/lcdtv/lns4695dxxaa.asp

Thanks I want to use which ever tv i buy for gaming mostly

Liquid_Cool

The major differences are the Sony has slightly better CR and 1 more HDMI input.  I guess you'll have to decide if this is all worth the extra $1300 but for my money, I'd buy the Samsung.  The Sony may have fancier styling with an extra HDMI input but the Samsung delivers the same quality for less money.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 GalvatronType_R
[QUOTE="misfit_780"]ok so im planning to get a Samsung LE-27T51B its a 27" LCD HDTV just wondering whether any of you guys have this tv already and can recomend it or if someone knows of a better HDTV about 27" for less than £500? thanks!

Again, Samsung and Sharp are arguably the LCD market leaders.  The Samsung you are considering has pretty good specs but I don't like the fact that it doesn't seem to have an HDMI input.  Just like I always say, if possible, go to the store to see the TV because what sounds good on paper may look terrible in person.
renegadeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 renegadeds
[QUOTE="renegadeds"]

GalvatronType_R

This one's a bit tricky since the Sony LCD doesn't list all of its stats, not even CR (which is probably an LCD's most important stat) and none list how many of each connection each LCD has.

That being said, it's a tossup between the Toshiba and the Samsung. While the Samsung has better CR and connectivity, the Toshiba is five inches bigger. Determine if you want more connections and slightly better picture quality vs. a bigger image and there's your winner. Before buying, just like I tell everyone else, if possible, go to the store and try out both.

The Toshiba has 2 HDMI inputs, and one of each other input. The Samsung has 1 HDMI and one of the others. Also, Samsung's Contrast Ratio is always a sort of fabrication. They use static tests rather than dynamic tests (or vice versa I cant remember) so that they can boast a better CR. Sony don't list their CR at all on any UK site as far as I know. So is the Samsung a much better Picture Quality? It's the quality I'm after to be honest.
renegadeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 renegadeds

In fact, after doing a bit of research, my options are now the Samsung listed in my original post, the Toshiba in my original post, and this Toshiba:

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=355461&tab=specification#spec

It's the model up from the one in my first post. It's the same size, but has 3 HDMI inputs instead of 2, supports 1080p, and has a CR of 3500:1 instead of 1000:1. Also if buying from Comet it includes an Onkyo sound system.

Obviously if it's not worth the extra £300 on that TV, I would go for one of the other 2. Just throwing that one in there ;)

Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 Varese_basic
Member since 2002 • 6785 Posts
What form of signal does coaxial DD send? I know about zero's and ones but does it have a load?
m0ney78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 m0ney78
Member since 2003 • 404 Posts
I recently purchased a 17" LCD HDTV that can be used for my PC/360. I'm not concerned on size for such things, plus it needs to fit in the area I want it for. I have a 52" in the front room.  That said, What resolution or whatever would you reccommend for a 17"? 480, 720p, 1080i? I read on other forums that 480 is for 27" and smaller, 720p is for 32"-36", and 1080 is for 37" and up. So my question is knowing this, I should run it at 480p for best quality, but don't you need to be at 720p for HD?
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 GalvatronType_R

In fact, after doing a bit of research, my options are now the Samsung listed in my original post, the Toshiba in my original post, and this Toshiba:

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=355461&tab=specification#spec

It's the model up from the one in my first post. It's the same size, but has 3 HDMI inputs instead of 2, supports 1080p, and has a CR of 3500:1 instead of 1000:1. Also if buying from Comet it includes an Onkyo sound system.

Obviously if it's not worth the extra £300 on that TV, I would go for one of the other 2. Just throwing that one in there ;)

renegadeds

Looks like this new Toshiba's native resolution is still 720p (1366x768) so whether you feed it 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, it should all still look the same (your should still try to feed this TV 720p if possible).  Still, to me, an extra HDMI input, better CR, and free Onkyo speakers make the extra cost worthwhile, IMO.

I have heard that Samsung likes to play around with its CR but lots of manufacturers do the same.  Regardless, in terms of picture quality, generally speaking, Sharp and Samsung are the leaders in LCD.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 GalvatronType_R
What form of signal does coaxial DD send? I know about zero's and ones but does it have a load?Varese_basic

Not quite sure what you're asking but if it is re: coaxial and optical digital audio and their difference, there's not difference in terms of sound quality but if you're going to use a longer run, go with optical since it's less prone to outside interference.  Also, both optical and coaxial digital audio will soon become obsolete because both next gen digital audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio) will only be compatible with HDMI.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 GalvatronType_R
I recently purchased a 17" LCD HDTV that can be used for my PC/360. I'm not concerned on size for such things, plus it needs to fit in the area I want it for. I have a 52" in the front room. That said, What resolution or whatever would you reccommend for a 17"? 480, 720p, 1080i? I read on other forums that 480 is for 27" and smaller, 720p is for 32"-36", and 1080 is for 37" and up. So my question is knowing this, I should run it at 480p for best quality, but don't you need to be at 720p for HD?
m0ney78

Resolution has nothing to do with the size of the screen.  For instance, most computer monitors have far higher resolution than HDTVs yet they are smaller.

The resolution you should use for your 17" LCD depends on its native resolution.  If it's anywhere below 1920x1080, use 720p.  This is only a wild guess but I imagine that your LCD's native resolution is 1024x768.  If this is the case, use 720p.
laztradamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 laztradamus
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Alright I have a Samsung HCL4715W HD widescreen proj. TV. I have 2 hookups in the back for HD, Component 1 &2. Comp 1 is 480i/480p, Comp 2 is 480p/1080i or so they say. I'm not too technically talented so any help is greatly appreciated. I have a Comcast HD cable box that was hooked up to Comp 2. I hooked my XBOX 360 to Comp1 and it just didn't look that good. I switched it to Comp2 and it looks great! Problem is that my cable box isn't working on Comp1, im figuring because it's 480??? In other words, every time I want to watch TV, I have to unplug the 360 and vice versa. Is there some kind of switch I can purchase to avoid this? Any suggestions at all, besides of course buying a new TV hahaha? Thanks in advance!
m0ney78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 m0ney78
Member since 2003 • 404 Posts
Resolution has nothing to do with the size of the screen. For instance, most computer monitors have far higher resolution than HDTVs yet they are smaller.

The resolution you should use for your 17" LCD depends on its native resolution. If it's anywhere below 1920x1080, use 720p. This is only a wild guess but I imagine that your LCD's native resolution is 1024x768. If this is the case, use 720p.
GalvatronType_R

thx a lot! The recommended resolution says 1280x768 (widescreen) still 720p?
Micah_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 Micah_
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203533407&adid=17662
Alright I am definitely thinking of getting the tv above. It has got great reviews and I love the price. I do have a few questions.
Do you think this tv is worth the price? Also is there anything you would recommend I buy to give me a better experience with this tv?
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 GalvatronType_R
[QUOTE="laztradamus"]Alright I have a Samsung HCL4715W HD widescreen proj. TV. I have 2 hookups in the back for HD, Component 1 &2. Comp 1 is 480i/480p, Comp 2 is 480p/1080i or so they say. I'm not too technically talented so any help is greatly appreciated. I have a Comcast HD cable box that was hooked up to Comp 2. I hooked my XBOX 360 to Comp1 and it just didn't look that good. I switched it to Comp2 and it looks great! Problem is that my cable box isn't working on Comp1, im figuring because it's 480??? In other words, every time I want to watch TV, I have to unplug the 360 and vice versa. Is there some kind of switch I can purchase to avoid this? Any suggestions at all, besides of course buying a new TV hahaha? Thanks in advance!

The problem with early Samsung HDTVs is that for some reason, they set up their component inputs so that while one will accept 480i and 480p only, the other will accept 720p and 1080i only so you're right, your comp1 will not accept an HD signal.  To hook up both your 360 and HD box to comp2, you'll need a component video switcher.  Gamestop and EB carry cheap $20 ones which will work fine but Pelican makes one that is $100 and can be switched remotely as well as accept optical audio.  I'd go with a cheap one personally.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 GalvatronType_R
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203533407&adid=17662
Alright I am definitely thinking of getting the tv above. It has got great reviews and I love the price. I do have a few questions.
Do you think this tv is worth the price? Also is there anything you would recommend I buy to give me a better experience with this tv?
Micah_

I've never heard of this brand but it has decent CR and connectivity.  One thing that worries me is that it doesn't have an HDMI input but you can still use the DVI with an HDMI to DVI cable.  The price isn't bad but in the next few months, more prestigious branded 32" LCDs will probably come down in price so it may be beneficial to wait it out and see if you can get a Samsung or Sharp for a good price.
Goeben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 Goeben
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

i have a really old receiver and i am looking into getting a new one.  My question has to do with what type of settings i should look for.  i have surround sound now but i hear everything out of all speakers.  For example if something explodes behind me i hear it out of front and rear speakers.  if something happens in front of me i hear it in the rear as well as the front.  i think its cause its not digital?

also i guess onkyo and Yamaha are the good brands.  are there other brands to look at?  any receivers you recommend?  i want to make sure it has HDMI up converting (i don't want to have to run lots of cables like i do now)

thx for your help

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#327 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38694 Posts
i got one for you. with my current setup, there's no good way to wire the sw output to my sub without running a big ugly cable across my room, its an apt so i cant mess with the walls much. it there any wireless solution where i can plug a transmitter into the sw output of the receiver and a receiver across the room to plug into the powered sub? i tried a buttkicker wireless link which advertised that it works with powered subwoofers but it did not work.
Goeben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 Goeben
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts
i got one for you. with my current setup, there's no good way to wire the sw output to my sub without running a big ugly cable across my room, its an apt so i cant mess with the walls much. it there any wireless solution where i can plug a transmitter into the sw output of the receiver and a receiver across the room to plug into the powered sub? i tried a buttkicker wireless link which advertised that it works with powered subwoofers but it did not work. comp_atkins
lol i had the same problem so i put a carpet sample over it (was in the appartment when i moved in). ghetto but since it is in the back corner only i notice it.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 GalvatronType_R

i have a really old receiver and i am looking into getting a new one. My question has to do with what type of settings i should look for. i have surround sound now but i hear everything out of all speakers. For example if something explodes behind me i hear it out of front and rear speakers. if something happens in front of me i hear it in the rear as well as the front. i think its cause its not digital?

also i guess onkyo and Yamaha are the good brands. are there other brands to look at? any receivers you recommend? i want to make sure it has HDMI up converting (i don't want to have to run lots of cables like i do now)

thx for your help

Goeben

Settings vary because there are so many different types of receivers out there.  In terms of you not getting directional sound, yes, if you are using an analog sound field like Dolby Pro Logic, most of your sound will be shared among your different speakers.  Still, even with Dolby Digital and dts, there will be some sound coming from all speakers but it should be more positional.  If you're playing with a digital sound source like a 360 or PS3, make sure that you go into their sound menus and turn on the digital signal.

Besides the two you mentioned, Denon and Pioneer make very good receivers as well.  If you want a single HDMI hookup to your display, make sure that the receiver you buy can feed all video inputs through HDMI.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 GalvatronType_R
i got one for you. with my current setup, there's no good way to wire the sw output to my sub without running a big ugly cable across my room, its an apt so i cant mess with the walls much. it there any wireless solution where i can plug a transmitter into the sw output of the receiver and a receiver across the room to plug into the powered sub? i tried a buttkicker wireless link which advertised that it works with powered subwoofers but it did not work. comp_atkins

Hmm, I've heard of wireless surrounds but not wireless subs yet.  The only other solutions I can think of is to move your sub closer to the receiver so you won't have to use as long a cable run or run the sub cable underneath your carpet to hide it.  Even if and when they do come out with a wireless sub module, it probably won't be as reliable as the traditional wired solution.
Ipik_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 Ipik_Fenris
Member since 2005 • 3627 Posts
where can i get a good LCD-HDTV, to use it with my 360, with a price range of $300-$500 USD, size between 23"-25"....cant afford a expensive HDTV:(
ijpereyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 ijpereyra
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hi,

I have the HCL4715W I never used the HD feature for this TV and a few days ago I got a convert DVD player.. so I connected the cables to the DVD, works fine and then when I tried to swichted to 1080i the TV display showed  1080i and when I press play in the DVD player automatic swicthed back to 480p...  I tried over and over change the DVD player for another one and same problem.... can some one help me please? thank you !

nicholas400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 nicholas400
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
If you are comfortable buying online, go to Tigerdirect.com, everything they have is great.
Samurai-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Samurai-Cell
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts
Damn I feel dumb, how do I use the  ATSC tuner on a LN-S3238D........:) I just bought the thing. I read the manual and couldnt find a thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d
deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
Has the response rate of LCDs caught up to that of CRTs yet? I know that CRT inheritly has better response times, which is why its is so widely used for gaming. But they said that LCD is catching up. Basically if I had a choice between getting a 1080i CRT with a 4:3 resolution would you take it over a 720p LCD thats widescreen for gaming? I'm not finding any widescreen CRTs for some reason. btw I'm getting a smaller sized screen [like under 32inch]. I don't need a large screen in the room that I'm talking about.
Jedi-Kermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 Jedi-Kermit
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

Hi,

I have the HCL4715W I never used the HD feature for this TV and a few days ago I got a convert DVD player.. so I connected the cables to the DVD, works fine and then when I tried to swichted to 1080i the TV display showed  1080i and when I press play in the DVD player automatic swicthed back to 480p...  I tried over and over change the DVD player for another one and same problem.... can some one help me please? thank you !

ijpereyra
The problem is that most upconvert DVD players can only output at the most 480p through component connections. To be able to utilize the upconversion to 720p or 1080i you'll need to use the HDMI connection that is more than likely on your new DVD player. The reasons have to do with the copyright protections.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 GalvatronType_R

Hi,

I have the HCL4715W I never used the HD feature for this TV and a few days ago I got a convert DVD player.. so I connected the cables to the DVD, works fine and then when I tried to swichted to 1080i the TV display showed 1080i and when I press play in the DVD player automatic swicthed back to 480p... I tried over and over change the DVD player for another one and same problem.... can some one help me please? thank you !

ijpereyra

I'M BAAACK!  I know you missed me, my flock.

Anyways, just like someone else mentioned, because of copyright protections, if you have the upconvert DVD player hooked up via component, you're maxed out to 480p.  If you have it hooked up via a digital protected output like HDMI or DVI, you should be able to get near 720p/1080i.  Even with a HDMI or DVI hookup, there is no guarantee that you will get the desired effect because both the source (the player) and the display (your TV) must have their digital hookups do a "handshake" to confirm that both are copy protected.  If this handshake doesn't occur, you will still be limited to 480p max.

Also, don't be fooled, even though the player claims to get you a near HD picture, you will only get a marginal improvement over standard 480p.  For true HD movies, get HD DVD or Blu-ray.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 GalvatronType_R
Damn I feel dumb, how do I use the ATSC tuner on a LN-S3238D........:) I just bought the thing. I read the manual and couldnt find a thing.Samurai-Cell

The ATSC tuner is just a fancy way of saying and built in over the air HD tuner.  All you will need to do is buy an HD antenna, plug it up to the ATSC input on the back of your TV, position the antenna correctly, and you will get HD free over the air.

Some areas have stronger HD reception than others.  Go to www.hdtvpub.com to see if your area is particularly strong.
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 GalvatronType_R
Has the response rate of LCDs caught up to that of CRTs yet? I know that CRT inheritly has better response times, which is why its is so widely used for gaming. But they said that LCD is catching up. Basically if I had a choice between getting a 1080i CRT with a 4:3 resolution would you take it over a 720p LCD thats widescreen for gaming? I'm not finding any widescreen CRTs for some reason. btw I'm getting a smaller sized screen [like under 32inch]. I don't need a large screen in the room that I'm talking about.bawkbawkboo1

You're not going to find many WS CRTs, the world is going towards flats, whether it's TVs or computer monitors.

From my experience, LCDs have largely solved the refresh rate/ghosting problem.  Most LCD monitors I've researched have a response rate of 5 ms or so which is low enough to make ghosting and image lag a nonissue.  If I were you, if money weren't an object, I'd go with LCD, not only because it is the wave of the future but also because LCD is more portable than CRT and the shell just looks more sleek and impressive.
Avatar image for scatterbrain007
scatterbrain007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 scatterbrain007
Member since 2004 • 840 Posts

I hope this isn't off-topic, this seems like the right place to ask this so forgive me if it is not, and if it's been asked before. I have a 42 inch Vizio 1080p television. I was looking at the plugs in the back of the thing to see exactly what I have back there, and I saw a plug marked "SERVICE". The plug input looks almost like a USB plug sort of(I know it isn't) what the heck is it? It seems almost every HDTV out there has this plug. Thanks in advance!

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts

I have no TV stand. I was wondering if using my computer desk would be ok. What do you think? Does it look like I have a huge PC moniter?

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/tv013.jpg/

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

I have no TV stand. I was wondering if using my computer desk would be ok. What do you think? Does it look like I have a huge PC moniter?

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/tv013.jpg/

ehhwhatever

As long as it's a sturdy surface for your TV, it doesn't matter what we think. Whatever works for you. Personally, I would take the casters off though.